Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 842 Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Well I just checked Walmart.com and Sanyo has rolled out a bunch of new HDTVs. most noted are (a 50 inch plasma) (a 42 inch LCD) and a (37 inch LCD) (all 720p) those LCDs are also priced well below the competition (under a grand for both of the LCDs) Although I am a bit leary about Sanyo (my 28 inch CRT just had something mess up and now it has a bad green push), but I did buy it refurbished at a discount retailer so 6 months isn't that bad for the price I paid, still a little irked though. If someone knows more than what is posted on walmart.com about these please post it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 842 Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Well I just checked Walmart.com and Sanyo has rolled out a bunch of new HDTVs. most noted are (a 50 inch plasma) (a 42 inch LCD) and a (37 inch LCD) (all 720p) those LCDs are also priced well below the competition (under a grand for both of the LCDs) Although I am a bit leary about Sanyo (my 28 inch CRT just had something mess up and now it has a bad green push), but I did buy it refurbished at a discount retailer so 6 months isn't that bad for the price I paid, still a little irked though. If someone knows more than what is posted on walmart.com about these please post it.

I just replaced a Sanyo (my first TV I ever purchased) that I've had since about 1996, the picture is still as good as the day I brought it out of the box if not better with all the modern video processing etc etc. It's still got a home...going to the hunting lodge to replace a circa 1990 Magnavox that features a giant green spot.
post #273 of 842 Old 04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

All of the SDTV Sanyo's that I have seen are great but this HD one was just awful (a 20 inch emerson SDTV had a better picture) but I got it for widescreen and HD so it served it's purpose (to hold me over until I could save up enough for a new LCD). If the 42 inch has a decent amount of inputs I will get it (it should have at least as many as the 32 inch model)
I am an avid gamer and just can't see myself spending $2,000 for a 40 inch HDTV so this Sanyo should fit my needs. (after this I will get the extended warranty just to be safe)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #274 of 842 Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Extra4/23/2007 2:01 PM ET
The 'Wal-Mart effect' strikes again
By slashing prices on flat-panel TVs, the retail giant has clobbered another sector -- this time, consumer-electronics stores.

Latest Market Update
advertisement
Article Tools
E-mail to a friendTools IndexPrint-friendly versionSite MapDiscuss in a Message BoardArticle IndexBy BusinessWeek
Last "Black Friday," for its annual post-Thanksgiving sales blitz, Wal-Mart Stores (WMT, news, msgs) decided to slash the price of one of the hottest electronics items for the holidays, the 42-inch flat-panel TV, to $988. The world's largest retailer had staked similarly audacious positions before, in numerous product categories, as part of its quest to remain U.S. retailing's "low-price leader."

In turn, Wal-Mart's move caused a free fall in prices of flat-panel televisions at hundreds of retailers -- to the glee of many people who were able to afford their first big-screen plasma or liquid-crystal-display (LCD) model.

Now, it is becoming apparent that Wal-Mart's calculated decision to break the $1,000 barrier for flat-panel TVs triggered a disastrous financial meltdown among some consumer-electronics retailers over the past four months.

Get free, real-time stock quotes on MSN Money

The fallout is evident: After closing 70 stores in February, Circuit City Stores (CC, news, msgs) on March 28 laid off 3,400 employees and put its 800 Canadian stores on the block. Tweeter Home Entertainment Group (TWTR, news, msgs), a high-end home entertainment store, is shuttering 49 of its 153 stores and dismissed 650 workers. CompUSA is closing 126 of its 229 stores, and regional retailer Rex Stores (RSC, news, msgs) is boarding up dozens of outlets, as well as selling 94 of its 211 stores.

"The tube business and big-screen business just dropped off a cliff," says Stuart Rose, chief executive officer of Rex Stores. "We expected a drop-off, but nowhere near the decline that we had."

Clearly, these retailers are taking such drastic measures because they don't see any respite in sight.

Since early February, when the companies first started closing stores and announcing layoffs, most of their stock prices also have been battered. Circuit City shares have fallen 24%, to $18.76, since the end of November, when the price war started. In the same period, Tweeter's shares declined 32%, to $1.72, near a 52-week low, and Best Buy's (BBY, news, msgs) stock is down 9%, to $48.73. Shares of Rex Stores have been flat, down 0.7%, to $16.98.

The carnage has one phrase written all over it: the "Wal-Mart effect." For many electronics competitors, the experience with flat panels has been a replay of what happened in other sectors over the past two decades as Wal-Mart's business stature grew dramatically.

More from MSN Money and BusinessWeek
Wal-Mart's $1 billion problem
Wal-Mart's growing pains
In praise of Wal-Mart
Stop the bullying, Wal-Mart
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers?
Costco: The 'anti-Wal-Mart'

Competitors caught off guard
The Bentonville, Ark., juggernaut's entry into the grocery business in the late 1980s and its ability to offer deep discounts led to the bankrupting of dozens of regional supermarkets over the next 15 years, including Florida-based Winn-Dixie Stores, Eagle Foods from Illinois and Penn Traffic in Pennsylvania.

And Wal-Mart's discounting of popular toys sent FAO Schwartz and KB Toys into bankruptcy.

Now, Wal-Mart has clearly turned its attention to electronics. "We recommitted to our customers that we would be their low-price leader, especially on those products that were rising in popularity, such as flat-screen and high-definition TVs," says Kevin O'Connor, Wal-Mart vice president and general merchandise manager.

None in the industry doubted that flat-panel television prices would fall or that Wal-Mart would offer heavy promotions. But most expected the promotions to be limited to lesser-known brands like the Viore TV that Wal-Mart was selling at $988.

Video on MSN Money
Flat panels, thin margins

Syntax-Brillian, the maker of the Olevia brand of high-definition televisions, seeks to capitalize on the new dynamics of TV manufacturing in the age of globalization.What caught competitors off guard was that Wal-Mart also cut the price of a top brand name -- the 42-inch Panasonic high-definition TV -- by $500, to $1,294. That sent dozens of retailers across the country scrambling, and many rushed to match prices: Circuit City offered the same Panasonic TV at $1,299, while Best Buy sold a Westinghouse 42-inch LCD for $999. Others tried to lure customers to larger TVs -- CompUSA gave a $500 rebate on its 50-inch Panasonic plasma for $2,499.

Panasonic executives are still smarting from Wal-Mart's decision to drop the price on its 42-inch model, although company officials won't discuss the issue. "I'm not going to comment on what Wal-Mart did," says Andrew Nelkin, president of Panasonic Professional Display in Secaucus, N.J.
post #275 of 842 Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Exactly what was cut in price this time?
post #276 of 842 Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

He is refereing to the Sanyo LCDs that just came out. The 42 inch is under a grand (though I can't vouch for the picture quality as I haven't seen one yet.)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #277 of 842 Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM

I was wandering through the local Target store today and spied some small screen 16:9 flat screen TVs with ATSC tuners. They are being marketed by Audiovox. There were three models on display; an under the counter kitchen TV, an eight inch basic TV , and a ten inch set with an integral DVD player . They were not operating so I cannot comment on picture quality. The sales staff wasn't aware they are digital sets and couldn't answer an questions.

I examined the set with the DVD player and found it has RCA connectors for external sources. It was powered by an external wall transformer.

These are the first ATSC DTVs smaller than 19 inches that I have seen.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #278 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 AM

I was at BB yesterday and was talking to a salesmen. I asked him if they adjusted any of the TVs that were on display or if they all had out-of-the box settings. I couldn't believe his response. He basically admitted to me that the brands they want to sell the most they tweak to improve the pictures. We were comparing two plasmas, Panasonic and Pioneer, and he specifically said that the panasonic we were looking at was intentially displayed with a lower picture quality then the Pioneer because they wanted to sell more Pioneers. Based on this experience i wouldn't recommend comparing TVs at BB unless you are will to get in and adjust settings. I realize that some hear to adjust settings but many (such as myself) don't. Just FYI.
post #279 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookii View Post

I was at BB yesterday and was talking to a salesmen. I asked him if they adjusted any of the TVs that were on display or if they all had out-of-the box settings. I couldn't believe his response. He basically admitted to me that the brands they want to sell the most they tweak to improve the pictures. We were comparing two plasmas, Panasonic and Pioneer, and he specifically said that the panasonic we were looking at was intentially displayed with a lower picture quality then the Pioneer because they wanted to sell more Pioneers. Based on this experience i wouldn't recommend comparing TVs at BB unless you are will to get in and adjust settings. I realize that some hear to adjust settings but many (such as myself) don't. Just FYI.

Glad your finding out, this is nothing new.

Russ
post #280 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Realize that this was just one location and that many stores don't adjust a single one, not to mention that customers play with the settings more than the employees.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #281 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Liked: 13
Yea thats why when I recommend going to BB or any store you can only get an idea and not the exact result you will see at home.
post #282 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Every BB is different. They just built a brand new BB/Magnolia in my town (and i supplied the material to the electrical contractor who did the job!) and they have the TVs set up very well and feed them a very good HD signal. Maybe it helps that they have the Magnolia there with exceptionally well set up TVs (albeit a little over-saturated).

I like to go in there to kill time while my GF shops at the Whole Foods next door and the salesmen are pushing the Samsungs first, and the Panasonics 2nd, and not really mentioning the LGs and Pioneers or anything else. I've also heard them more than a few times telling people that Plasmas are rated at 30,000 hours while the LCDs are rated at 60,000 - i've had to butt-in a few times and correct them. I was able to get the remote for the new 50PX75U and spent 20 minutes trying to get it to look as good as the Pioneer 5070 above it but the processor just wasn't up to the task. All of the various Pioneers in both sections looked better than any of the other TVs regardless of brand or technology. The Magnolia section was pushing the Pioneers and the Samsungs, but the BB section was practically ignoring the Pioneer despite having 3 of em on display that were looking better than anything else. They also had the Pios mounted higher up than the Pannys and Sammys. Yet those Pioneers in the store look as good as or better than my own Panny PX50 at home which tells me that their signal is indeed very good - as good as the excellent cable signal i get at home.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #283 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Liked: 13
I did notice that they try to push the Sammy's. I used to work at a retail store (in my previous life and pretty much whatever the "store favorite" brand is they push. Not saying its different with any other business.
post #284 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
they push whatever they have the most stock of. nothing new there.
post #285 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

how come I don't see too many Panasonic plasma's at BB anymore, it's like everything is either Samsung or Pioneer these days.
post #286 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This lacks credibility. I am sorry, but I have to speak up.

First of all no mention of what particular store this is or even what city.
Secondly why would a salesman (or any other store employee for that matter) reveal this to a client when the whole idea is to keep this under wraps?

If somebody can explain that; maybe, just maybe, I might consider thinking about this story being credible.

"Information is only as good as the accuracy of the source"
post #287 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 08:03 PM

well my 50 inch vizio plasma just blew up & was already planning on upgrading, so now im ready to trade it in at costco for something that i will be satisfiedwith for a long period of time. I know the tv prices continue to drop & with 1080p on the rise , I am very tempted in going w/ costco's new sharp 52 in lcd LC-60C52 1080p. however , I have a large enough living room where a 60+ in tv would fit nicely. but given the fact that 1080p,plasma, 60+ inches & price don't mix so well, my other options were the 60 in vizio, 58 in panasonic or the 63 in phillips.
my price range would have to be anywhere from 2500-3200 big face dollar bills.I mostly use the tv for hd gamimg(ps3 & x360), blu ray & hd tv.my viewing is approx 10-15 ft away......given that, I have not seen any 1080p content & really want to experience it with the ps3 & blu ray, but would hate to not really see a differance & not go with the larger plasmas for the amount I am spending.
any reccomendation or experiences are greatly appreciated. i could not find the official thread for the sharp aquos LC-60C52U , is there one?
post #288 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 PM

Just curious... why or how did your Vizio "blow up"? Which model was it? How long did you have it? Was it under warrantee?
post #289 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 09:31 PM

it is the vizio p50hd. I bought it from costco when it first when on sale about a year and a half ago. there was a loud pop noise while playing the ps3 last thursday night, and after that there was no more picture. from reading the official thread on this website, it appears that this has been happening to the majority of people who own this tv. I guess it is a power strip failure or somthing like that. it looks like these tv's were lemons. 3k is alot of money for a tv that fails in a little over year, so its going back.
post #290 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 09:40 PM

I basically need to know if an lcd 52 inch 1080p is going to be a dramatic PQ differance & a better purchase, compared to going with a 60+ inch plasma 720p when viewing from 10-15ft away.....because if I buy the 52 inch sharp 1080p & don't see a differance on my bluray player or ps3 ,over my p50hd vizio(which is 500$ + tax more), I am going to be pretty bumbed out that I didn't just get a bigger plasma.
post #291 of 842 Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface8087 View Post

it is the vizio p50hd. I bought it from costco when it first when on sale about a year and a half ago. there was a loud pop noise while playing the ps3 last thursday night, and after that there was no more picture. from reading the official thread on this website, it appears that this has been happening to the majority of people who own this tv. I guess it is a power strip failure or somthing like that. it looks like these tv's were lemons. 3k is alot of money for a tv that fails in a little over year, so its going back.

nice costco return policy is still in effect for you. So you basically have a 3k credit to pick out a new TV. I love costco.
post #292 of 842 Old 04-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface8087 View Post

well my 50 inch vizio plasma just blew up & was already planning on upgrading, so now im ready to trade it in at costco for something that i will be satisfiedwith for a long period of time. I know the tv prices continue to drop & with 1080p on the rise , I am very tempted in going w/ costco's new sharp 52 in lcd LC-60C52 1080p. however , I have a large enough living room where a 60+ in tv would fit nicely. but given the fact that 1080p,plasma, 60+ inches & price don't mix so well, my other options were the 60 in vizio, 58 in panasonic or the 63 in phillips.
my price range would have to be anywhere from 2500-3200 big face dollar bills.I mostly use the tv for hd gamimg(ps3 & x360), blu ray & hd tv.my viewing is approx 10-15 ft away......given that, I have not seen any 1080p content & really want to experience it with the ps3 & blu ray, but would hate to not really see a differance & not go with the larger plasmas for the amount I am spending.
any reccomendation or experiences are greatly appreciated. i could not find the official thread for the sharp aquos LC-60C52U , is there one?

You're kinda stuck (in both a good way and a bad way).....you are limited to only what Costco carries (thats a good thing with your credit) but the bad thing is that you are between product cycles when it comes to Panasonic and Mitsubishi, two of the players that Costco does stock in the 50" and above sizes (Plasma vs DLP). If you are wall mounting by all means you will love the 58" Panasonic Plasma, the newer 1080p balck bezel sets are awesome. If you're not wall mounting then wait for the new Mitsubishi DLP's in 65".....These will fit into your price range nicely. The Sharp Aquos is a nice set but the 65" is $$$$ at this time.

My 65" TV blew up a month ago, I'm stuck in the middle of a product cycle change as well.....so I put my 22" Samsung LCD monitor via DVI on the credenza where the 65" will eventually sit when it comes out in a few weeks .....
post #293 of 842 Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

A store manager can't change the law.

Thats correct. I returned a plasma after 18 months and the store gave me a hassle and even claimed there was never a policy to take back TVs. Mind you the TV was not broke but I became unsatisfied with the image and contouring. I had to escalate the issue and finally returned it under the old policy a few weeks before the new policy took place in this market as I was advised by the manager.

Their policy is not a privilege. It was clearly stated and no where is there an indication of anything but a complete return if ever one becomes unsatisfied for any reason. I became and executive member BECAUSE of that policy and before I became a member it was indicated to me by the associate and USED to sell me on becoming a member.

Those who took advantage of the policy are the one's ahead of the game. I don't feel I did anything unethical except hold Costco to THEIR word. I pay $100 a year for that and the only "privilege" is being able to shop there.

If you are going to bait people with a ridiculous return policy you had better own up to it in all cases or change it. I am glad to have been a part of keeping Costco "honest"

Average Joe For those few who actually watch the content rather then the TV.

Question Everything....Assume nothing.
post #294 of 842 Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfrog View Post

Thats correct. I returned a plasma after 18 months and the store gave me a hassle and even claimed there was never a policy to take back TVs. Mind you the TV was not broke but I became unsatisfied with the image and contouring. I had to escalate the issue and finally returned it under the old policy a few weeks before the new policy took place in this market as I was advised by the manager.

Their policy is not a privilege. It was clearly stated and no where is there an indication of anything but a complete return if ever one becomes unsatisfied for any reason. I became and executive member BECAUSE of that policy and before I became a member it was indicated to me by the associate and USED to sell me on becoming a member.

Those who took advantage of the policy are the one's ahead of the game. I don't feel I did anything unethical except hold Costco to THEIR word. I pay $100 a year for that and the only "privilege" is being able to shop there.

If you are going to bait people with a ridiculous return policy you had better own up to it in all cases or change it. I am glad to have been a part of keeping Costco "honest"

Man are you looking for a beating but must admit kind of brave.
post #295 of 842 Old 05-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post

and while you're at it, you should rape, pillage, and plunder all other aspects of this despicable evil retailer. You should go there, and just eat the demos, then go home laughing all the way. hahaha! That will show em. And if you lower yourself to shopping for groceries and they give you boxes, you should throw them all over the parking lot in defiance of the new refund policy. Because all that matters in life is YOU and how much YOU get out of someone. Forget ethics. Its not your fault you bought a luxury item that depreciates over time. THIS is Coscto's responsibility. You should DEMAND interest on the price difference, gas money to the store, and Costco should pay you an hourly rate based on earnings from your real job for the inconvenience of even lowering the price. You should find some loop hole, and exploit it! Yes. It may be wrong, it may be wasteful, it may ruin things for other members, it may even cause another change in the refund policy, but as long as you get the $100 that you are entitled to, then you have cleverly outwitted the evil regime know as Costco. And you should be PROUD!! Especially on that $3k HDTV you just bought. Never mind the fact that you are in a position to buy a $3k tv in the first place, excuse the irony of all of the effort, trouble, and scam like activity for a measly c-note or two.

Yes, I think it is safe to say that despite "Gooberedup" being able to admit to shopping, or even rapping Costco and their policy, it is the mentality of his that has forced Coscto to change up their refund policy. Their are loop holes in life that we come across that may be technically "legal" or not illegal, however their are many times in which it is wrong. Other people, or in this case businesses, members, and vendors, will be affected due to selfishness. I just ask you to take the high road in life when you come across such a loop hole. my $.02

Do you get this upset at business owners who purchase SUV's soley for the 25K dollar tax cut?
post #296 of 842 Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

What is the samsclub.com return policy?
Member Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed by samsclub.com on both products and Memberships. You may return your online purchase (except auction items) to any of our Sam's Club locations nationwide. (Use our Club Locator to find the Club nearest you.) Or, you may return your merchandise directly to samsclub.com using our online return process in the My Account section of our site. You may also contact our Member Service Department for simple instructions. Items purchased on samsclub.com auctions can be returned within 30 days of purchase by contacting a Member Service Representative for approval and instructions. Merchandise purchased from samsclub.com auctions can NOT be returned to a local Sam's Club location. No matter how you choose to process your return, a friendly Sam's Club Member Service Representative will provide you with a full refund. For purchases returned through the online process, you will receive credit to the account that was charged at the time of purchase. For purchases returned to your local Club with a printout of your order, your refund will be in the form of a Shopping Card, cash, or credit to the account charged (if available in the Club of choice.) Returns made to your local Club, without a printout of the order, will receive a full refund in the form of a Shopping Card. Exceptions to this policy include:

* Computers, which can be returned within 6 months of the original purchase date, except Dell computers which can be returned within 30 days of the invoice (ship) date.
* All Dell products can be returned within 30 days of the invoice (ship) date.
* Theme park tickets, which are non-refundable.
* Shopping Cards, which can not be redeemed for cash.

At samsclub.com, we reserve the right, at any time, to modify, alter, or update this policy. Your order constitutes an agreement to be bound by such modifications, alterations, or updates to this policy. Our ultimate goal is for you to be satisfied with your samsclub.com shopping experience and purchases.

My only question is about the bolded text at the bottom. Does it mean Sam's can change their policy at any time, and if they do, you might not be grandfathered into the old policy, regarldess of when you purchased the item?
post #297 of 842 Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

When does Sam's Club usually get new HDTV's in?
post #298 of 842 Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Shed
and while you're at it, you should rape, pillage, and plunder all other aspects of this despicable evil retailer. You should go there, and just eat the demos, then go home laughing all the way. hahaha! That will show em. And if you lower yourself to shopping for groceries and they give you boxes, you should throw them all over the parking lot in defiance of the new refund policy. Because all that matters in life is YOU and how much YOU get out of someone. Forget ethics. Its not your fault you bought a luxury item that depreciates over time. THIS is Coscto's responsibility. You should DEMAND interest on the price difference, gas money to the store, and Costco should pay you an hourly rate based on earnings from your real job for the inconvenience of even lowering the price. You should find some loop hole, and exploit it! Yes. It may be wrong, it may be wasteful, it may ruin things for other members, it may even cause another change in the refund policy, but as long as you get the $100 that you are entitled to, then you have cleverly outwitted the evil regime know as Costco. And you should be PROUD!! Especially on that $3k HDTV you just bought. Never mind the fact that you are in a position to buy a $3k tv in the first place, excuse the irony of all of the effort, trouble, and scam like activity for a measly c-note or two.

Yes, I think it is safe to say that despite "Gooberedup" being able to admit to shopping, or even rapping Costco and their policy, it is the mentality of his that has forced Coscto to change up their refund policy. Their are loop holes in life that we come across that may be technically "legal" or not illegal, however their are many times in which it is wrong. Other people, or in this case businesses, members, and vendors, will be affected due to selfishness. I just ask you to take the high road in life when you come across such a loop hole. my $.02

Yeah blame those of us who had the nuts to take full advantage of Costco's own policy for the change. It was a ridiculous policy doomed to fail.

Do you really think I am going to hang on to two year old technology that becomes unsatisfying when seeing what current technology has to offer and pocket $700?

Costco employees and others are whining now because a few of the brave called out Costco on thier own advertising. The policy (and the associates who sold me the membership did not state you can only return the TV IF your TV breaks down. only IF you ever become unsatisfied. Their words.

The moral high ground be dammed when going up against big business. They advertise a policy. I have to assume correctly they will stand behind that policy until they can no longer offer it becasue people are actually calling them out on it with a technology that is getting better and less expensive daily.

I don't blame Costco for changing it. In fact as a holder of a small amount Costco stock I applaud it. I also applaud those who made Costco eat their own words.

More consumers should keep more retailers honest and call ridiculous advertising schemes out. If you think offering an open ended satisfaction guarantee on a TV is not rediculous I have a bridge to sell ya.

post #299 of 842 Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfrog View Post

Yeah blame those of us who had the nuts to take full advantage of Costco's own policy for the change. It was a ridiculous policy doomed to fail.

Do you really think I am going to hang on to two year old technology that becomes unsatisfying when seeing what current technology has to offer and pocket $700?

Costco employees and others are whining now because a few of the brave called out Costco on thier own advertising. The policy (and the associates who sold me the membership did not state you can only return the TV IF your TV breaks down. only IF you ever become unsatisfied. Their words.

The moral high ground be dammed when going up against big business. They advertise a policy. I have to assume correctly they will stand behind that policy until they can no longer offer it becasue people are actually calling them out on it with a technology that is getting better and less expensive daily.

I don't blame Costco for changing it. In fact as a holder of a small amount Costco stock I applaud it. I also applaud those who made Costco eat their own words.

More consumers should keep more retailers honest and call ridiculous advertising schemes out. If you think offering an open ended satisfaction guarantee on a TV is not rediculous I have a bridge to sell ya.

Read my post #219 in this thread. You should test Costco's policies. I believe your Costco made a decision on your individual case. No need arguing about this I wish someone would e-mail that Costco manager (post #219) with a membership# and see what happens. If they can decide anything they want on a case by case basis thats what I call a "PRIVLAGE" not your "RIGHTS". If you think its "LAW" be a martyr and show us the way.

These are just my opinions.
post #300 of 842 Old 05-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Read my post #219 in this thread. You should test Costco's policies. I believe your Costco made a decision on your individual case. No need arguing about this I wish someone would e-mail that Costco manager (post #219) with a membership# and see what happens. If they can decide anything they want on a case by case basis thats what I call a "PRIVLAGE" not your "RIGHTS". If you think its "LAW" be a martyr and show us the way.

As it applied in my circumstance it certainly was the law. I returned a working TV I simply became "unsatisfied" with. YMMV. Yeah I could have returned a failed TV and had no questions asked. (Paper clips do wonders on PCBs) But I returned it under the letter of their policy because I became unsatisfied with the PQ anymore. I was once against those who had done that early on but realized they were the real winners who in the end got what they wanted from a very generous retailer. They forced said retailer to come clean in the end.

Do you really think that return policy on this emerging technology was smart? Apparently Costco did not learn anything from the PC line. However
I believe Costco knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

Many of us became members who otherwise would not have if it were not for that policy. I lived W/O Costco for 35 years and could do so easily. I would not have become a member had not I wanted to "test the waters" on the expensive new TV technology.

They used the policy specifically to get me to sign up. I told them WHY I was signing up and expected them to keep up their end of the bargain.

They did. Obviously they did for many many people because they are forced to back away from the "free ride" they baited so many with. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say their membership will take a hit now that they have changed their policy.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page