Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 842 Old 03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post

Actually when it adversely affects other peoples purchases, then it is relevant to this board. Not that this board is staying relevant to what we are supposed to anyways.

Then why not leave it alone Costco has taken care of the problem you rave about just let it go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 842 Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post

and while you're at it, you should rape, pillage, and plunder all other aspects of this despicable evil retailer. You should go there, and just eat the demos, then go home laughing all the way. hahaha! That will show em. And if you lower yourself to shopping for groceries and they give you boxes, you should throw them all over the parking lot in defiance of the new refund policy. Because all that matters in life is YOU and how much YOU get out of someone. Forget ethics. Its not your fault you bought a luxury item that depreciates over time. THIS is Coscto's responsibility. You should DEMAND interest on the price difference, gas money to the store, and Costco should pay you an hourly rate based on earnings from your real job for the inconvenience of even lowering the price. You should find some loop hole, and exploit it! Yes. It may be wrong, it may be wasteful, it may ruin things for other members, it may even cause another change in the refund policy, but as long as you get the $100 that you are entitled to, then you have cleverly outwitted the evil regime know as Costco. And you should be PROUD!! Especially on that $3k HDTV you just bought. Never mind the fact that you are in a position to buy a $3k tv in the first place, excuse the irony of all of the effort, trouble, and scam like activity for a measly c-note or two.

Yes, I think it is safe to say that despite "Gooberedup" being able to admit to shopping, or even rapping Costco and their policy, it is the mentality of his that has forced Coscto to change up their refund policy. Their are loop holes in life that we come across that may be technically "legal" or not illegal, however their are many times in which it is wrong. Other people, or in this case businesses, members, and vendors, will be affected due to selfishness. I just ask you to take the high road in life when you come across such a loop hole. my $.02

Wow!
post #93 of 842 Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

I just called my local Best Buy. I was told that they have a 60 day "price guarantee" for tv's (actually it could be on all electronics, but I only asked about tv's). I asked what it means and he said that if you buy a tv and within 60 days either it goes on sale, or the price decreases, at either Best Buy, or another local retailer, you can bring in your receipt and get the difference. So Johnla, looks like I was correct, yes?

If you don't believe me, you can go to Bestbuy's website, click on store locator and call your local store.

No you are not correct. This weeks ad and the web site still both show either 30 days or 14 days, depending upon the products. I believe what I see in their print policys or ads, or on their website. And not what some minion with no official authority at all tells me over the phone. This is the same company that calls some of their customers "Devils" and has been caught using what amounts to a fake website browser in store, to try and avoid matching some of their own online sales prices. So I have no reason at all to trust what one of their hired store lackeys may say over the phone, when it completely contradicts every official policy they have about it.
post #94 of 842 Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

I'm guessing that's to protect against "we'll beat any advertised price by $10" and "we'll match any advertised price and give you 10% of the difference between our price and the advertised price" type of offers -- to prevent someone from going and back and forth between stores to keep getting the extra $10 or 10%.

Well sure that's the reason, otherwise in theory if there was no such limit against price matching a price match. You would just keep going back and forth between stores and eventually at some point get the price down to where one of them would either have to just outright give it to you for free, or even pay you to take it, in order for them to be the lowest price.
post #95 of 842 Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

Wow!

No worse than you saying to reduce the pay and benefits of employees, in order to keep the old policy intact. Just so someone like you can continue to return something thats not even defective at any time if you want to.
post #96 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

No worse than you saying to reduce the pay and benefits of employees, in order to keep the old policy intact. Just so someone like you can continue to return something thats not even defective at any time if you want to.

I do believe that is score 2 for johnla.

Tool Shed seems to be a little bit more irritated about the whole subject than I am... but he makes valid points and comparisons.

Again when it comes down to it... the decision was made in a defensive nature, Costco was forced by it's very own members to make the change. So the "just return it crowd" can only blame themselves.
post #97 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 AM

ToolBox13,

There has been much speculation and many statements ( opinions ) about who actually takes the "hit" for returns to Costco.

Some have claimed that Costco sends the item back to the Mfg for credit and some claim that Costco sells it as Display or open stock at a reduced price.

Which is the truth ? What happens to the returns to Costco?

I shop at Costco several times a week, and I really don't see hardly anythign at all ever out on the floor at a "reduced" price. Yes, I do sometimes see a few things, even a TV or two, but certainly not enough to think that they sell much in the way of returned items.

Thanks
post #98 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 AM

This is the same company that calls some of their customers "Devils"
____________________________________________________________ _____

And? they're calling the customers who take advantage of the system (such as applying for a rebate and then returning merchandise only to turn around and buy it at a reduced open-box price) devils. To me it's the same as those costco defenders (i'm assuming employees) who bash people for taking advantage of the 100% satisfaction guarantee that used to be offered.

For the record, I don't shop at Best Buy and do shop at Costco, though I'm very particular about what I buy there because I can often find things (drinks, paper products, produce etc) cheaper at local grocery stores.
post #99 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a hard time figuring out if you're stupid, illiterate or purposefully obtuse. Please let me know.

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I'm not into the return thing. I wanted the policy for peace of mind.
post #100 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 AM

Which one would you guys recommend. I am leaning towards the Daytek beacause if something goes wrong the main office is 2 min from my office. Costco is 2 min away if they want to deal with repairs directly. I did want to have the digital antenna but, I can live without it if I get the Daytek.
post #101 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolBox13 View Post

I do believe that is score 2 for johnla.

Tool Shed seems to be a little bit more irritated about the whole subject than I am... but he makes valid points and comparisons.

Again when it comes down to it... the decision was made in a defensive nature, Costco was forced by it's very own members to make the change. So the "just return it crowd" can only blame themselves.

lol. Sure it is.

Just wait. People like Johnla and you have no clue how business works.

Again, I'm not sure how bright Johnla really is, since he has a hard time with reading comprehension. My point was that if Costco has such a hard time managing it's profits, maybe it should cut back on overpaying it's "lackeys" (thanks Johnla).
post #102 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have a hard time figuring out if you're stupid, illiterate or purposefully obtuse. Please let me know.

None of the above.
Nice to see your not into something like name calling, or anything like that.......
post #103 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dream on.
Also, you certainly are no expert.

Quote:

Again, I'm not sure how bright Johnla really is, since he has a hard time with reading comprehension. .

I read well enough to know that you seem to have no problem with people in management maybe being overpaid, or possibly having more of them that is really needed. And also from some of your posts, that you seem to enjoy management power, and even looking down at employess that are beneath you as not worth as much as they really are.
post #104 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Name calling? Legitimate questions as I see it.

It's just business. It's not personal. I don't get paid as much as the CEO/COO/CFO because I'm not performing as critical a function. But, I get paid more than others because I've got certain skills that are needed and not that common. It's how it works.

Anyway, I think we're starting to go down the wrong path for these forums again.
post #105 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread23 View Post

This is the same company that calls some of their customers "Devils"
____________________________________________________________ _____

And? they're calling the customers who take advantage of the system (such as applying for a rebate and then returning merchandise only to turn around and buy it at a reduced open-box price) devils. To me it's the same as those costco defenders (i'm assuming employees) who bash people for taking advantage of the 100% satisfaction guarantee that used to be offered.

Most rebates also require the UPC code/label from the box being sent in along with the rebate form and a copy of the receipt. And also most stores will not accept a return on anything when the UPC code/label has been removed. In fact most of them even say so right on the back of the receipt. And some even have a warning, that you should make sure that the product works before removing a UPC from the box to use in a rebate, because they won't take a return for any reason when there is no UPC. Not that they always catch all the people that may try to do it, but they probably catch better than 98% of them now when they try it. Pretty much all the stores caught onto people trying to do stuff like that a long time ago.
post #106 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Name calling? Legitimate questions as I see it.

No, it was more like a thinly veiled attempt of nothing more than name calling!
post #107 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM
M4P

Quote:

No you are not correct. This weeks ad and the web site still both show either 30 days or 14 days, depending upon the products. I believe what I see in their print policys or ads, or on their website. And not what some minion with no official authority at all tells me over the phone. This is the same company that calls some of their customers "Devils" and has been caught using what amounts to a fake website browser in store, to try and avoid matching some of their own online sales prices. So I have no reason at all to trust what one of their hired store lackeys may say over the phone, when it completely contradicts every official policy they have about it.

I have no vested interest in defending Best Buy, but I have been told this policy in their store on a few occasions. They also gave me a sheet about their Directv/Bestbuy promotion (something about getting $300 off when you upgrade or take hi def Directv) and in that sheet it also stated their 60 day price guarantee on televisions. Don't believe it if you don't want to, it really makes no difference to me. As far as "hired store lackeys", aren't you in the same boat, as you work for Costco. Does this make you also a "hired store lackey" who we shouldn't believe?

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #108 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

ToolBox13,

There has been much speculation and many statements ( opinions ) about who actually takes the "hit" for returns to Costco.

Some have claimed that Costco sends the item back to the Mfg for credit and some claim that Costco sells it as Display or open stock at a reduced price.

Which is the truth ? What happens to the returns to Costco?

I shop at Costco several times a week, and I really don't see hardly anythign at all ever out on the floor at a "reduced" price. Yes, I do sometimes see a few things, even a TV or two, but certainly not enough to think that they sell much in the way of returned items.

Thanks

It is different with every item. With some stuff full credit is available, other stuff is partial credit. Some things go to a salvage company, and some stuff gets tossed right down the chute with the days trash. But to think Costco gets 100% back is ignorant, especially with decade old electronics.
post #109 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM

For anyone who is interested I have gotten 2 adjustments to my Sharp LCD from Costco. 1 within 30 days and they other 3 months..yes 3 months later. I figured I would ask since it was such a signifigant drop and they did it no questions asked. I guess it really depends on the people your are dealing with and whether you catch them on a good day.
post #110 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:

lol. Sure it is.

Again, I'm not sure how bright Johnla really is, since he has a hard time with reading comprehension. My point was that if Costco has such a hard time managing it's profits, maybe it should cut back on overpaying it's "lackeys" (thanks Johnla).

Your right, I really don't know how business works. Especially a business that is the 5th-6th largest retailer in the world with $60+ Billion in sales and 130,000+ employees. I wouldn't say otherwise. However, I am smart enough to know a good business when I see one. And smart enough to know a company does not have to pay its employees the bare minimum, or slightly higher, in order to turn a profit. Costco stock has been more then generous over the years to it's investors. Slashing wages just to fill the pockets of millionaires with millions more is not necessary, and for Costco it would be a HUGE and costly mistake.
post #111 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
kli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolBox13 View Post

It is different with every item. With some stuff full credit is available, other stuff is partial credit. Some things go to a salvage company, and some stuff gets tossed right down the chute with the days trash. But to think Costco gets 100% back is ignorant, especially with decade old electronics.

Yep exactly. The few things that don't either go back to the manufacturer or to a salvage company I believe are tossed (depending on what it is) or yes, possibly make it back onto the floor. I think this is highly few and far between though. Usually the items that make it back on the floor in these instances are probably items that are packed very carefully back into the original packaging and then sealed, as if they weren't opened. The people at returns will look over it and if they believe that it was not opened will mark it differently to be resold again. Obviously this isn't necessarily the best practice as far as inspection goes, but I guess the question is where do you draw the line.

Case in point, this past Christmas I had purchased an Ipod Nano for my wife. Not long before the 25th, I found out that she actually really liked the Zune (yeah I know, but thats a whole other story) and preferred it over the Ipod. So I took Nano back to Costco and returned it, to purchase a Zune. At the counter, they asked me if there was anything wrong with it, and I explained. They had another person come over and inspect the package, and then he marked it with a special tag (Safe for resale or something to that effect). Now keep in mind this is based off of what I heard them discuss, rather than actually reading the tag itself or anything of the sort.

That same trip to Costco I purchased the Zune. >> Fast forward to the opening of the present. >> My wife opened the present, and we noticed that one of the seals was broken. Other than that the packaging looked brand new. She took out the Zune and powered it up. Turned out it was half full of MP3s and pics (no... no porn as some people have experienced - just family & friend pics). Nothing else was physically wrong with it as far as we could tell. Even the earphones were wrapped as if they had never been used (which as far as we could tell they hadn't). We contemplated taking it back to exchange for a new one, but then decided to keep it and just delete the pics.
post #112 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 PM

Why is it that prices and coupons are not allowed to be discussed?

Is it a legal issue from the stores themselves?

I mean, I can understand something shady, but if, say, Best Buy has XYZ on sale for a good price, I'd like to know about it.
post #113 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: Costco's return policy -
It pretty much goes without saying Costco's old return policy was idiotic. It only invited losses, whether it be from average people trying to get price matches within 30 days to price matches within 6 months to people returning their perfectly fine two year old TV for a newer, larger, better, less expensive model on Costco's "neverending upgrade program". Costco brought the losses upon themselves, everyone knows a lot of consumers will do just about anything to save a buck or get something for free or less. Costco's old policy was plain stupid and I feel no pity for any losses they incurred due to it because, as the saying goes, they asked for it.

I personally think people that traded up their TV's every so often are moral crooks. They know what they're doing isn't morally right, but it's technically ok according to Costco's old "satisfaction guranteed" policy. I would have paid a little more for a TV from Costco than another retailer under the old policy because if I ever had a problem, I could take the TV back down to the store and swap it out for a new one and be back in business in a couple hours instead of waiting for a manufacturer to arrange a service call or have to take your set in somewhere to have it repaired and be out a TV for a while.

The drawn out price matching is a very wavy, gray line. most people are trying to save a few bucks by abusing a policy that technically allows it. The 90 day return allows Costco to differentiate itself from other B&M's and give consumers [perceived] added value and it should significantly reduce the number of people that "upgrade" their TVs periodically. IMO, Costco's price match guarantee should match their return period guarantee, whether it's 30, 45, 60, 90 days or whatever, that would eliminate much of the consumer frustration with the new policy. Costco is asking for losses by telling consumers they can only get a price match for 30 days, but you can return the set for another 60 days no questions asked, which in effect, allows for 90 day pricematching but Costco takes a loss on the returned TV and frustrates the buyer. I think Costco will eventually true up their pricematching/return period, but it may take them a while to review the books under the new policy.

Re: BB and the intranet scandal -
I love how BB corporate says their employees must have "forgot" how to differentiate or access the intranet versus the internet. Does corporate America really think we're that dumb? Take Arthur Anderson LLC as a perfect example. As news of the Enron implosion was getting out, the DOJ finds this email from AA's top attorney "reminding all employees of their document retention policy", which on face value may appear innocuous, but was really saying "SHRED, SHRED, SHRED!!" BB corporate is playing the old see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. I haven't even walked in a Best Buy in 3 or 4 years, things like this remind me why...
post #114 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

Why is it that prices and coupons are not allowed to be discussed?

Is it a legal issue from the stores themselves?

I mean, I can understand something shady, but if, say, Best Buy has XYZ on sale for a good price, I'd like to know about it.

Has nothing to do with the store themselves. There are other forums.....search engines, as well as the vendor websites themselves where that info can be had. This is a technical forum. Intended for technical discussion and support for flat panel televisions.
post #115 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

As far as "hired store lackeys", aren't you in the same boat, as you work for Costco. Does this make you also a "hired store lackey" who we shouldn't believe?

Try again, because you are wrong. As I do NOT work for Costco, and I never have!
post #116 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
GGG

New policy/ old policy big deal...you gotta love Costco period!...I just got a $108 price adjustment including tax for my 32 Vizio which I bought about 90 days ago, no hassle, no need to return anything, just a friendly face at the return desk. There were also two people in front of me doing the same thing for other items. Being an executive member is great getting that 2% check back each year too. When buying an off brand like Vizio with its notorious QC issues (I also have their 47 LCD) the extra peace of mind with Costco makes that decision easy.
post #117 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM

When buying an off brand like Vizio with its notorious QC issues (I also have their 47 LCD) the extra peace of mind with Costco makes that decision easy.
____________________________________________________________ _______

What piece of mind? An extra 60 days return policy makes a difference to you when buying a brand with notorious QC issues?
post #118 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post

Has nothing to do with the store themselves. There are other forums.....search engines, as well as the vendor websites themselves where that info can be had. This is a technical forum. Intended for technical discussion and support for flat panel televisions.

Gotcha.

I've been looking for a 26" inch-ish TV for weeks now. Scour every ad, website, etc.. I happened to be on Circuit City's website today, and one I want is $400 ... not advertised anywhere else.

I guess I need to find a website with that info! Someone who is constantly looking at EVERYTHING all the time.
post #119 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM
GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread23 View Post

When buying an off brand like Vizio with its notorious QC issues (I also have their 47 LCD) the extra peace of mind with Costco makes that decision easy.
____________________________________________________________ _______

What piece of mind? An extra 60 days return policy makes a difference to you when buying a brand with notorious QC issues?

Both of mine are grandfathered, purchased before the Mar 12 change of policy here in the West.
Even with their new policy, you are most likely going to find your sets defects in the first year of use, add an additional year of warranty and service with Costco's concierge and don't forget price adjustments...that is more peace of mind than any other retailer/etailer I know of. Only thing you could do better is spend the bucks for an extended warranty...no thanks with Vizio's hit or miss customer service. I'll stick with Costco's concierge working on my behalf.
post #120 of 842 Old 03-06-2007, 09:04 PM

In regards to returns being put back on the floor...

I can't speak for other buildings but in mine... we sometimes have to go on faith and believe what the member is telling us.... if they bring a nano back that appears factory sealed.... and they say they never open/used it ....we believe them and we are not going to crack that seal to check. With TV's and PC's it is a different issue... we ALWAYS look inside. We do not knowingly put used items on the floor to sale, if they end up out there it was by mistake. Any time an electornic device like that was used, if only for a day we mark in Non-Saleable.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page