Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 324
This is a continuation of the original thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6939434

which was getting too long and out of control

All Costco/Best Buy/ Circuit City/Sears/Target et al chat goes here and only here

NO PRICING/ NO COUPONS/NO RETAIL LINKS /NO COSTCO Links

Here you go fellas: your own Costco/BB/CC thread: but you still must abide by forum rules

Technical support issues only please

Please note the original thread was getting out of control: AVS is a technical forum and we are here for technical support only

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thats great mark, and im glad you closed the other thread from the multiple ID posters, and i have an idea of one, but how can there possibly be a technical issue about a store? i can only see technical issues about specific products, but this thread is a store thread. can you give us an idea of a technical issue of a store other than their return or repair policies (and other than pricing and sales of course)
post #3 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[quote=dtrell]thats great mark, and im glad you closed the other thread from the multiple ID posters, and i have an idea of one, but how can there possibly be a technical issue about a store? i can only see technical issues about specific products, but this thread is a store thread. can you give us an idea of a technical issue of a store other than their return or repair policies (and other than pricing and sales of course)[/QUOTE

I second this.
post #4 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

thats great mark, and im glad you closed the other thread from the multiple ID posters, and i have an idea of one, but how can there possibly be a technical issue about a store? i can only see technical issues about specific products, but this thread is a store thread. can you give us an idea of a technical issue of a store other than their return or repair policies (and other than pricing and sales of course)

Sure

Feel free to discuss the various models sold only by these stores, and related technical issues, return policies, repair policies warranties et al are OK

Please lets avoid the politics of how the stores operate: we certainly will allow a bit of latitude, but the other thread was over a year old and was getting way out of control:

Thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #5 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Liked: 10
Johnla wrote: "If they say 30 days, it pretty much means 30 days. Why do you think they would set a limit, unless they intend to use and enforce it?
Just try getting Circuit City or Best Buy to do a price match after 30 days have expired. "

Perhaps I wasnt clear. Costco lowered the price on a TV i bought in january two weeks after I bought it. But I didnt return to the store with my receipt until 38 days later. To my mind, their lowering the price within two weeks entitles one to their 30 days price protection policy, even if one doesnt actually return to the store within 30 days. They lowered the price within 30 days, but its not necessarily convienent or possible for the customer to return to the store within 30 days.

To me this seems like Costco promises 30 day price protection but escapes on a technicality. Maybe not so different from someone returning a TV after 6 years because they, technically, are not satisfied with how obsolete their tv now is.
post #6 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyN View Post

Johnla wrote: "If they say 30 days, it pretty much means 30 days. Why do you think they would set a limit, unless they intend to use and enforce it?
Just try getting Circuit City or Best Buy to do a price match after 30 days have expired. "

Perhaps I wasnt clear. Costco lowered the price on a TV i bought in january two weeks after I bought it. But I didnt return to the store with my receipt until 38 days later. To my mind, their lowering the price within two weeks entitles one to their 30 days price protection policy, even if one doesnt actually return to the store within 30 days. They lowered the price within 30 days, but its not necessarily convienent or possible for the customer to return to the store within 30 days.

To me this seems like Costco promises 30 day price protection but escapes on a technicality. Maybe not so different from someone returning a TV after 6 years because they, technically, are not satisfied with how obsolete their tv now is.

It is your responsibility to claim the price difference within the 30 days. The other retailers work the same way. Prices do tend to drop over time with electronics. At some point, people need to take responsibility for the transaction when they buy an item. If the price drops within 30 days, you are covered, you do need to come in to claim your cash. After that, its the real world. Hope this helps!
post #7 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 PM

Mark, thanks for helping out by closing the other thread. The Coscto bashing and all the corporate "back seat driving" was getting out of hand. Hopefully we can all get along, cause really, we are all computer dorks!

I'm here to help people understand about their electronics purchase and any technical question they may have. I have two Vizio HDTVs and I love them both. I have the vx32" and the new 47" 1080P. Electronics is my life. I love building and modding CPUs and I am into digital photography. I was wondering, if anyone can help me program my Adelphia remote (controls a Motorola HD DVR) to control the Vizio, any ideas? Also, is it weird that I seem to get a better picture with component cables, than with the HDMI?

Thanks.. Tool Shed,
and to answer some of the others that PMed me
, NO I'm not the same as TOOLBOX13.
post #8 of 842 Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Cit

The 30 days is started from the day you buy it, and you have anytime within that 30 days to make a claim on it if they drop the price. And if you wait until after 30 days, then your time has expired to act on it and you don't get it. They are not trying to work any technicalities for escapes, that is how the rule for price matching is spelled out at just about all retailers that offer it, 30 days (or whatever other amount of days that they might specify it being for) from the time of purchase.

Sorry, not to be harsh but.. If anyone is trying to work a technicality angle on it to apply in a special way, it's you. Because you want the rule only to start on the day the price actually drops, that's ridiculous. At some point in time you have to realize that the price could drop on any item that's sold, and it could be due to any number of various reasons, and it could happen as soon as the next day or even anytime as long as 1 year later, or longer. Retailers are never going to offer a price match policy that only starts the 30 day countdown on the day that a price is reduced on a item.
post #9 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 AM

Johnla wrote: Sorry, not to be harsh but.. If anyone is trying to work a technicality angle on it to apply in a special way, it's you. Because you want the rule only to start on the day the price actually drops, that's ridiculous. At some point in time you have to realize that the price could drop on any item that's sold, and it could be due to any number of various reasons, and it could happen as soon as the next day or even anytime as long as 1 year later, or longer. Retailers are never going to offer a price match policy that only starts the 30 day countdown on the day that a price is reduced on a item.

Huh? Thats not what I was saying at all. Price protection starts immediately upon buying the item and lasts 30 days. In my case they lowered it 14 days after I bought the tv. The catch was that I did not have my receipt the day I saw the decrease. The next time I was in the store was 38 days after buying the tv. Even though the actual price decrease took place within the 30 day window, I was not credited because I didnt make the claim within 30 days.

No biggie, particularly IF that is the same policy practiced by other retailers. On the other hand, this isnt the most consumer friendly policy is it? If a store promises it will refund the difference on any item you buy IF they reduce the price within 30 days of your buying it, then why should they insist on the customer actually making the claim within 30 days? If you wait 31 days then tough luck, even if they lowered the price 300 dollars two hours after you bought the product? Obviously they realize many consumers either wont realize the price was reduced in time for the consumer to file a claim or that the consumer wont be able to make it back to the store in time.

To me, it violates the spirit of the agreement, even if it is technically correct. Not so different from the consumer who returns a tv after 10 years because technically they arent satisfied anymore. Right? It is "satisfaction guaranteed" Right? Personally I would consider that exploiting the policy, but I'm just pointing out Costco can also play with words.
post #10 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

[i] Thats not what I was saying at all. Price protection starts immediately upon buying the item and lasts 30 days. In my case they lowered it 14 days after I bought the tv. The catch was that I did not have my receipt the day I saw the decrease. The next time I was in the store was 38 days after buying the tv. Even though the actual price decrease took place within the 30 day window, I was not credited because I didnt make the claim within 30 days.

No biggie, particularly IF that is the same policy practiced by other retailers. On the other hand, this isnt the most consumer friendly policy is it? If a store promises it will refund the difference on any item you buy IF they reduce the price within 30 days of your buying it, then why should they insist on the customer actually making the claim within 30 days? If you wait 31 days then tough luck, even if they lowered the price 300 dollars two hours after you bought the product? Obviously they realize many consumers either wont realize the price was reduced in time for the consumer to file a claim or that the consumer wont be able to make it back to the store in time.

To me, it violates the spirit of the agreement, even if it is technically correct. but I'm just pointing out Costco can also play with words.

Roy,

Yes it was what you were saying. You already said you thought that you should be allowed more than 30 days, in your case 38 days.

There is no "play" on words, no hidden technicalitys (other than it must be the same exact item to qualify for a price match) about a 30 day limit for price matchs.

30 day limit means that it ends after 30 days time, not 38 days, 35 days or even 31 days. The way it works is if YOU see a price drop within those 30 days, then YOU must also bring in your receipt BEFORE the 30 days are up, in order to claim it. It is all entirely up to you to notice any price drops and act on them before the 30 day limit is up, not the retailers! You admit that you seen the price had dropped well before the 30 days were up by almost 2 weeks, but you decided it was not important enough for you to act on it before the 30 days expired. So you lost the price match. The store did not cause you to lose it, you did. You were late acting on it, you waited too long and so you lost it by trying to get it 8 days past the last date that you were allowed to do so. They have these rules that you need to follow for price matching, and you did not. They enforce them, and so you lost out on it by 8 days.
post #11 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this is where your logic is totally flawed. there IS NO 30 day price match policy at costco. this is something made up by the store managers, there is NO WRITTEN POLICY anywhere in corporate costco that you can get the difference in 30 days without returning the item. this is all up to the managers discretion...in fact, maybe if costco managers had stopped requiring you to actually return the set in order to get a price difference, there would have been many many less actual used sets returned. in fact, this is something that hasnt even been introduced into this discussion yet...i am sure that a huge chunk of returned tv's were from people that were past the 30 days but still within a few months that actually had to physically return a set and buy a new one. if costco had just price matchedanyone that came in regardless of time (which would have been consistent with their actual written satisfaction policy), then they would have had many many less used sets to return to the manufacturer.
post #12 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 AM
M4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolBox13 View Post

It is your responsibility to claim the price difference within the 30 days. The other retailers work the same way. Prices do tend to drop over time with electronics. At some point, people need to take responsibility for the transaction when they buy an item. If the price drops within 30 days, you are covered, you do need to come in to claim your cash. After that, its the real world. Hope this helps!

Best Buy now has a 60 day policy.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #13 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

if true, i guess that means best buy is becoming better than costco, and you dont have to pay 50 or 100 bucks for a membership.
post #14 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this is where your logic is totally flawed. there IS NO 30 day price match policy at costco. this is something made up by the store managers, there is NO WRITTEN POLICY anywhere in corporate costco that you can get the difference in 30 days without returning the item. this is all up to the managers discretion...in fact, maybe if costco managers had stopped requiring you to actually return the set in order to get a price difference, there would have been many many less actual used sets returned. in fact, this is something that hasnt even been introduced into this discussion yet...i am sure that a huge chunk of returned tv's were from people that were past the 30 days but still within a few months that actually had to physically return a set and buy a new one. if costco had just price matchedanyone that came in regardless of time (which would have been consistent with their actual written satisfaction policy), then they would have had many many less used sets to return to the manufacturer.

Great point. It cracks me up that there's so much indignation over even considering violating the 30 day price match policy, when there isn't even such a policy in existence!

Store level people dictating policy is simply wrong unless that's part of the coprorate policy itself. A telephone call to corporate to slap down that type of behavior is what should be done. The good thing is that if you have a flat panel, hauling it in to the store and returning the thing is an easy thing to do.

And now, since everyone is screaming about how generous the 90 day policy is, I hope people make good use of it, since we clearly now are aware of Costco's intent.
post #15 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 AM
M4P

Quote:

i am sure that a huge chunk of returned tv's were from people that were past the 30 days but still within a few months that actually had to physically return a set and buy a new one. if costco had just price matchedanyone that came in regardless of time (which would have been consistent with their actual written satisfaction policy), then they would have had many many less used sets to return to the manufacturer.

Are you saying that if I buy a tv at Costco, and Costco lowers the price within 30 days of my buying it, that I have to actually return that tv and purchase a new one? I've never heard of a store having such a crazy policy. I know that with stores like Circuit City or Best Buy, you just bring in your receipt and they credit you the difference back. I did this with a tv stand I bought at Best Buy which went on sale a couple of weeks after I bought it. It was very easy to get the price match. Also, another question - does Costco price match other stores?

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

post #16 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:

if true, i guess that means best buy is becoming better than costco, and you dont have to pay 50 or 100 bucks for a membership.

Most people do not get memberships to buy TV's.

Please don't buy the bald seal
post #17 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Are you saying that if I buy a tv at Costco, and Costco lowers the price within 30 days of my buying it, that I have to actually return that tv and purchase a new one? I've never heard of a store having such a crazy policy. I know that with stores like Circuit City or Best Buy, you just bring in your receipt and they credit you the difference back. I did this with a tv stand I bought at Best Buy which went on sale a couple of weeks after I bought it. It was very easy to get the price match. Also, another question - does Costco price match other stores?

NO!

He's saying that abusers, who had their sets longer than 30 days, saw a price drop. So, they returned their perfectly good TV to Costco for a refund. Then, they immediately bought the same TV again.

...BK
post #18 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider01 View Post

EXACTLY!!!!!
post #19 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK EH View Post

NO!

He's saying that abusers, who had their sets longer than 30 days, saw a price drop. So, they returned their perfectly good TV to Costco for a refund. Then, they immediately bought the same TV again.

costco should extend their price match policy to 90 days too!!

I had a simillar sacenerio, where it was a bit over 30 days, costco, themselves advised to return/rebuy , even I reminded them that they will be getting an open box, in exchange of new at lower price, but no, they have to go by their policy, D A
post #20 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 AM
M4P

Quote:

NO!

Thank you, I just re-read it again. That's what I get for drive by posting

post #21 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

NO!

I have a Sony from costco. A few months after I bought the TV, it dropped $400. I noticed it when I was in the store and I asked if they had any price protection. The guy behind the counter told me no, they couldn't refund the difference, but that if I wanted to, I could return my old TV and rebuy the same one at the lower price.

I still have the original TV, but thought that was interesting.
post #22 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matro5 View Post

I have a Sony from costco. A few months after I bought the TV, it dropped $400. I noticed it when I was in the store and I asked if they had any price protection. The guy behind the counter told me no, they couldn't refund the difference, but that if I wanted to, I could return my old TV and rebuy the same one at the lower price.

precisely!! they would have avoided a lots of returns this way and will help them in future from within 90 days returns, if atleast they offer 90 days price protection too. just my 2 cents
post #23 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

precisely!! they would have avoided a lots of returns this way and will help them in future from within 90 days returns, if atleast they offer 90 days price protection too. just my 2 cents

Agreed. I could have gotten $500 during some sales, too. I can't, in good conscience, justify that, but I will not hesitate to return that TV if i have reason. After all, thats why I paid the premium to buy it as Costco.
post #24 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
kli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matro5 View Post

I think that it definitely depends on the manager and/or who's working the customer service counter. My tv dropped $300 40 days after I purchased it, and I went in and asked about it. The cs rep said it should be ok, but said it needed to be approved by a manager. I went over to the "manager's" area and talked to a manager and approved it, wrote it on the receipt, and then I walked back and received my price adjustment. Obviously YMMV since as far as anyone knows, there's not written policy about it. However, the manager that I talked to did tell me that generally they only honor 30 day price differences, but will sometimes make exceptions if its a little over the period.
post #25 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider01 View Post

I did.

Got in under the wire with regard to the return policy changes too.

Got $108 back on a price guarantee refund today, as well.

Not sure if I'll re-up my membership or not.
post #26 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltgato View Post

I did.

Got in under the wire with regard to the return policy changes too.

Got $108 back on a price guarantee refund today, as well.

Not sure if I'll re-up my membership or not.

Therr you go. The money you got back covered your membership fee.

Please don't buy the bald seal
post #27 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

this is where your logic is totally flawed. there IS NO 30 day price match policy at costco.

Now look again, before going ballistic and screaming your "corporate don't say" again. I said WHERE places have such a policy! I did not specify any one specific store or retailer, in fact I even mentioned that some retailers may even have different time limits and that not everyone has them set at 30 days. He asked how such policys work at places that do. But for some strange reason most Costco's still use 30 days for a price match on something that went down in price, but then they also tell you to just return it and buy it again to get around it. And yes, I fully agree. It was/is totally stupid for Costco to tell people to return a item and then re-buy it as their way to just do a price match, instead of just doing it the simple way without first requiring the return and then a re-buy.
post #28 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Unless they just changed it, that is certainly not what it says on their web site.
There it shows it as still being 30 days for most in store purchase, and 14 days on some select categories.
Plus seeing as how Best Buy has even admitted to profiling it's customers, into ones they like and dislike. Which was/is based highly on how they buy only sale items, items w/rebates only and also price match a lot. I find it hard to believe that they would open themselves to 30 additional days of even more of price matching.

"Store Price Guarantee

Two more great reasons to buy with confidence at Best Buy.
If you are about to make a purchase and discover a lower advertised price offered by a local retail competitor on the same available brand and model, let us know and we'll match that price on the spot.

Already bought? We'll refund you the price difference, plus an additional 10% of that difference up to 30 days after your purchase (14 days on select categories*).

Either way, simply bring in proof of price while that lower price is in effect.

Exclusions apply. See details below. Policy may also vary between stores. See store for complete details.

Exclusions:
The Best Buy Price Guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors' free offers, limited-quantity items, open-box items, clearance items, mail-in incentives, financing or bundle offers. The policy does not apply to typographical errors or a competitor's price that results from a price match."
post #29 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Please get your facts straight before posting such nonsense. It is common knowledge that BB has a 30 policy.
post #30 of 842 Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Welcome to the BASH on Costco thread here at AVS forums.

Thank you for devoting your cyber life to bashing a retailer you hate!

I'm so glad they canceled the other thread, just to rename it, ask people to keep comments technical in nature, and then start up an identical Coscto bash fest in which people still threaten to cancel their memberships and preach about how they would run the company differently.

Never mind the statement by the moderator.."Please lets avoid the politics of how the stores operate:"

We all want more in life, like me..I want a toilet made of solid gold, but its just not in the cards you see... just as you want an unlimited refund period for your tv, or a 90 day or longer price protection plan, or a 10 year free warranty. But since we cannot get these things, we should focus on playing with the cards we have been dealt. Especially here at a technical forum, besides I'm sure there are plenty of other forums on the net in which you can bash retailers, play the "SIMS Costco CEO" game, or the Deal or NO Deal (membership renewal game), feel sorry for yourself and the cards you have been dealt, or even promote free TVs for everyone for everyone at you own business.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page