Best 50" for viewing at 10' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I seem to keep going in circles regarding which is "the best" TV for my moderately bright living room.
At 10' nobody seem to know if 1080p is at all noticeable, and for a moderately bright room nobody seems to have a feeling regarding plasma vs. LCD.
I feel that many others are in the same boat and that perhaps it would be a good idea to get a thread going here. That may remove some of the over bias' which are bound to be present on more specific threads.
Some TVs are too bright, others have artifacts... Is there any thing that would "just be perfect???"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bak_phy View Post

I seem to keep going in circles regarding which is "the best" TV for my moderately bright living room.

At 10' nobody seem to know if 1080p is at all noticeable, and for a moderately bright room nobody seems to have a feeling regarding plasma vs. LCD.
I feel that many others are in the same boat and that perhaps it would be a good idea to get a thread going here. That may remove some of the over bias' which are bound to be present on more specific threads.

Some TVs are too bright, others have artifacts... Is there any thing that would "just be perfect???"

There are already several threads that cover all your concerns in great detail, but my humble opinion is that after shopping for a top-of-the-line 46" LCD i've come to the personal conclusion that there just isn't an LCD out there that has as good of picture quality as a good Plasma does. The only reason i can find to buy an LCD over a Plasma, is if the room is so bright that you see too many reflections in the Plasma screen. But be advised that a bright room can cause an LCD TV screen to glow and that can adversely affect your viewing enjoyment too (i have this problem on my 26" LCD in the afternoon).

Some people say they notice the benefits of a 1080p 50" Plasma at 10 feet, while others say they can't notice a difference, or the difference is slight enough that it's not worth the extra money. I see SDE on a 768p 50" Plasma at 10 feet and 11 feet but most people do not so the first thing you should do is measure your exact viewing distance then go to lots of stores and look at 768p (and 720p) Plasmas and see exactly how far you have to move back to make the SDE go away.

If you cannot see SDE at 10 feet on a 50" Panasonic PX75U or PX77U then i'd be inclined to pick up a TH-50PX77U for it's apparently effective new Anti-Glare screen.

If you can see SDE at your viewing distance, then you might have to address the light ingress into your room and get the 50PZ700U instead.

But this is just one man's opinion

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I agree with Randy's thoughts.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page