HDguru tests 75 displays for resolution, motion, etc.. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 183 Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Alan,

I would be very interested in your (or anyone else's) opinion of the system my new TV (Philips 47PFL9532 aka 47PFL9732 in the US) uses for smoothing motion.

I am happy with it (so probably should not be examining it too closely) but am not in a position to make meaningful comparisons with other manufacturers products.

It supposedly has a 3ms response time (4ms for the US model) and does this http://www.research.philips.com/news...dder-free.html

To me, the motion looks as good as or better than the 42" SD plasma it replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 183 Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher191 View Post

Hi Alan,

I would be very interested in your (or anyone else's) opinion of the system my new TV (Philips 47PFL9532 aka 47PFL9732 in the US) uses for smoothing motion.

FYI - That Philips LCD is reviewed in the latest (December) issue of Home Theater Magazine [but not posted on their website yet]. Another AVS member asked about it recently, and I posted much of the review on another thread - Posts #121 & #123 HERE
post #183 of 183 Old 11-11-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jayne View Post

The majority of 120 Hz (LCD) TV's use the faster frame rate to better control, using timing, the pixel change delays. Generally it takes a shorter time to get from white to black or from black to white compared with from gray to gray. Using 120 Hz refresh, a request all the way to black can be done and then the correct gray value requested on the next 1/120'th second interval. Depending on the exact video content, an overshoot may or may not occur, but motion blur getting back up, or getting from dark to light in any situation, is less of a problem.

This makes no sense to me? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it seems that you are relating pixel response and frame rate?

In no way does increasing the frame rate change pixel response or even the perception of pixel response. It is a method to reduce the frame period and improve hold-type blurring and also to give the capability to reduce judder.

There are many resources on this forum (this thread is one) and the web that explain this fully.

Cheers

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page