Pioneer PDP 5020FD or Panasonic TH-50PZ800U - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 121 Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if the OP has picked one of these sets yet, but I was at my local Future Shop yesterday picking up a movie and decided to demo both tv's since I'm also deciding between the two.

I managed to get one of the sales reps to take the Dark Night disc out of the Sony display and put it in the Panasonic first. However, the comparison was a little unfair for the Pioneer as it was on the display floor while the Panasonic was in a dedicated room. On the Panasonic, i changed the input to THX mode and watched the underground scene when Joke was trying to kidnap Harvey Dent. The image looked nice, but I noticed all the dark areas looked a little grey. It honestly didn't seem like a huge improvement over my Panasonic LCD that I bought last year. My roommate stopped by as well and noticed the same thing.

I then popped the movie in the Pioneer that was on display outside and tried the Movie & Optimum mode. I set the BD to the same scene and re-watched it. Honestly, even with all the lighting and reflections on the screen I instantly noticed the image looked better and can easily tell the blacks were darker. I asked my roommate what he thought and he noticed the exact same thing. Now I really wonder how much better this TV would've looked with the same setup as the Panasonic.

After this viewing, I think I've decided that the Pioneer is far superior. I read the CNET review saying the Pansonic was better because of colour accuracy but my eyes don't lie. Also, currently the price premium for the Pioneer is $200CDN more than the Panasonic so the only problem I think I'm going to run into now is which stores will still have it in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page