AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Need LCD / Plasma Recommendations (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1064116-need-lcd-plasma-recommendations.html)

brocklv 09-06-2008 10:56 PM

Just hoping to get some recommendations with my particular situation in mind.

Type: Plasma or LCD, doesn't really matter, I could go with either
Room Setup: 10ft viewing distance and glare shouldn't be an issue
Media: A pretty good mixture of SD, HD, video games (current gen.), DVD, and hopefully soon Blu-ray
Price Range: $2,000 (or as close to this as possible)
Other Info: I'm not too worried about burn in because 1) I've heard it's not too much of an issue anymore and 2) I don't leave still images on my screen. Also, I am planning on this TV being mounted to the wall if that matters at all.

Thanks for any replys.

badmeng 09-07-2008 10:54 AM

Plasma would be a good choice. At 10ft a 50" Plasma would be perfect. You can go with a Panasonic 50px80 and a ps3 for blu-ray and be be under budget a couple of hundred. If you want 1080p (you might see SDE at 10ft on a 720p plasma) you can get a Samsung 50a550 plasma and a ps3 for just under 2,000.

navychop 09-07-2008 02:07 PM

I recommend you look at the Samsung A650 LCDs in the 46" and 52" sizes. These are 1080 sets. Highly regarded.

BTW, it's "Blu-ray."

KLee 09-07-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklv View Post

Just hoping to get some recommendations with my particular situation in mind.

Type: Plasma or LCD, doesn't really matter, I could go with either
Room Setup: 10ft viewing distance and glare shouldn't be an issue
Media: A pretty good mixture of SD, HD, video games (current gen.), DVD, and hopefully soon Blue Ray
Price Range: $2,000 (or as close to this as possible)
Other Info: I'm not too worried about burn in because 1) I've heard it's not too much of an issue anymore and 2) I don't leave still images on my screen. Also, I am planning on this TV being mounted to the wall if that matters at all.

Thanks for any replys.

LCD-Samsung 52A650

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Plasma-Panasonic TH-50PZ850U

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-5...0822547&sr=1-5

Buckeye911 09-07-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

LCD-Samsung 52A650

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Plasma-Panasonic TH-50PZ850U

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-5...0822547&sr=1-5

I'd recommend Panasonic's 50pz800u. It has a slightly better picture than the more expensive 850u.

brocklv 09-07-2008 05:01 PM

Is it a pretty common opinion that the Samsung 52A650 is better than the Sony KDL-52W4100?

gus738 09-07-2008 05:31 PM

go for plasma since you dont have a glare issue it provides better PQ and none if lcd flaws like motion blurr motion resolution clouds in accurate colors banding and other issues that lcd exbit.

of course higher end and newer products regardless of technology will inprove but at 2k a plasma will be better then a 2k lcd.

also second act dot com has a 5010 for 21xx shipped thats probably the best money spent for PQ its a 1080p 50" plasma

brocklv 09-07-2008 06:45 PM

My brother has a Panasonic plasma (sorry, I don't know the exact model) and I know that it has some type of HDTV Lag built into it. I remember playing Guitar Hero 2 on it and we had to do some type of calibration to try to get the game system to match the lag from the TV. This is the message that is given in Guitar Hero "HDTV LAG: Some HDTV's have an audio/video delay that makes playing difficult..." So we went through the calibration and it was still a noticable problem. I found this very annoying and I play enough games that this would be a major factor in my decision. Is there a way to know if these TV's that were recommended or any tv for that matter has this HDTV Lag?

gus738 09-07-2008 06:49 PM

It's worse on lcd think of a worse lag but always lag motion blurr motion resolution as well. Crt tubes are the ones with no lag, also input lag (thats what your issue is called) is a issue with modern tv tech, i play gh3 and know what your talking about but with some pratice i seem to just leave 0 on calibration is not needed.

but yeah input lag is the least of worries compare to what lcd introduces more problems.....

Quote:

My brother has a Panasonic plasma (sorry, I don't know the exact model) and I know that it has some type of HDTV Lag built into it. I remember playing Guitar Hero 2 on it and we had to do some type of calibration to try to get the game system to match the lag from the TV. This is the message that is given in Guitar Hero "HDTV LAG: Some HDTV's have an audio/video delay that makes playing difficult..." So we went through the calibration and it was still a noticable problem. I found this very annoying and I play enough games that this would be a major factor in my decision. Is there a way to know if these TV's that were recommended or any tv for that matter has this HDTV Lag?

brocklv 09-08-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

also second act dot com has a 5010 for 21xx shipped thats probably the best money spent for PQ its a 1080p 50" plasma

I've gone to the suggested site and looked but haven't been able to find what you described here. Would it be possible for you to email me a link to what you are referring to? brock dot bingham at gmail dot com.

gus738 09-08-2008 03:09 PM

the price is back up to 2499 i think once you go to that website click on the left side plasma by brand and you should see it.

also try tigerdirect or BB

brocklv 09-08-2008 10:49 PM

Ha, I don't think I've ever seen a decently priced anything come out of BB. I usually use price grabber dot com.

Patrick. 09-09-2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Must not be this year's model because they have absolutely no input lag, Samsung LCDs are notorious though for horrible input lag, not sure about the plasmas.

PENDRAG0ON 09-09-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Must not be this year's model because they have absolutely no input lag,

My Panasonic 42px75 has about 1 frame of lag, not noticable in most games but obvious in Guitar Hero.

brocklv 09-09-2008 03:17 PM

Last night I wanted to test out Guitar Hero 3 (Xbox 360) on my friends Sony KDL-46Z4100 to find out about this input lag and how well game mode worked on this tv. I tested the lag calibration built into the game without the tv's game mode on and both audio and visual came out to about 40ms off. Then I tested the lag calibration with the tv's game mode on and it came out perfect. Zero lag. Does anyone else know if these other tv's have a game mode that works this well (for both LCD and Plasma). As I said before, this would be a major factor in my decision.

Patrick. 09-09-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

My Panasonic 42px75 has about 1 frame of lag, not noticable in most games but obvious in Guitar Hero.

This isn't the case with the 2008 models.

gus738 09-17-2008 04:07 PM

Sorry for waking up this old thread but did you end up getting a plasma?

PENDRAG0ON 09-18-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

This isn't the case with the 2008 models.

Well all lag tests say zero lag (every GH test says zero lag) but when I actually play it, there is a hair of lag, I didn't really notice it until I got to play on an old crap CRT that had zero lag, so now I set lag to one frame and it plays perfectly.

gus738 09-18-2008 08:58 AM

I don't set it on the calibration, i get as low as 4 or 14 ms but i know my timing so i dont need it calibrated.

In way case lets not bring that up as a noob might say "plasma lag too" why not get lcd.

and thats not the ideal far from it! plasma have no issues with response lets just say that because for the most part its true. as where in lcd we can see it everytime

in fact i couldnt play an lcd that was on bestbuy (wanted to try aero smith) it looked weird the way it was going down.

in which case my question still remains for the op and my recomedation is plasma