Some nerdy technical questions... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-08-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you can answer:

Dealing with gaming, which is a better choice: LCD or Plasma? I'm stuck at a crossroad. I started to swing towards LCDs, but after all the talk of gaming lag, I'm back to that undecided point.

I really want to set up my NAS external hard drive as a media server so I can stream from it to my HDTV. I hear some televisions have DLNA which should be able to pick up a media server. Is this possible?

Are there any electronics that can connect my computer to my HDTV wirelessly?

So far those are the questions I have.

Thanks for answering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
as far as lag, your best bet is a panny plasma. even the best lcds give you at least 8ms lag. just ask anyone that plays GH.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2008, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LCD vs plasma . . . the epic battle. With LCD you will probably get some lag. It can be greatly reduced depending on your connections, but that may come with a sacrifice in PQ. Plasma has the burn-in reputation, but that is supposedly no longer an issue. IR, however, definitely is. Then you get into clouding vs phosphors, etc. Every set has its pros and cons. Ultimately you just have to pick and be happy with what you get. I have a Samsung LCD LN52A650 and I love it. Some people report lag issues, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I know it is there (from playing GH) but it doesn't bother me on non-rhythm games. The PQ on the best LCDs is now right up there with plasma, and there is less to worry about long-term.
Some tv's will have DNLA, and this will allow streaming on some of them, but since this is a new feature it will be very specific to each set it terms of what you can get to actually stream. Be sure to research this carefully if it is important to you.
In response to your 3rd question, there are plenty of electronic devices that will stream everything from your computer. An XBOX 360 or PS3 will both do the trick, and obviously offer much more. There are a ton of other devices that will do this for you as well. See this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Samsung LN52A650, Denon AVR-1908, Klipsch Reference 7.1, Harmony One, Comcast Moto DC6412III, XBOX 360 Elite, PS3 80GB, WII
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page