Closed Thread

post #241 of 252 Old 12-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

Well, You can definitely turn off ME (I never use it on my XBR5) and I have never had any picture issues. I absolutely LOVE that TV! As far as the Panny, I am thinking about getting it only because I want a bigger TV and I'm going to wait till next year to pick up a new Kuro or a bigger LCD. So for now you can't beat the panny when it comes to $$$ and value. I have seen the Panny in several different atmospheres and I had NO issues with Glare. The TV is nice and bright and I was SHOCKED how good it looked. (And again, I'm a HUGE LCD guy)

That's helpful, thank you. I'm having issues with my 61" JVC LCOS which would probably be replaced in the next few wks so the 58" Panny has been a front runner. 50/52" would be too dramatic of a downsize although my wife would prefer it. A 60" Kuro is a bit more than I'd want to spend with a no chance in hell W.A.F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx View Post

Thanks.

To be honest, I haven't given LCDs a good look because of that wacky video effect with movies. I guess the SONY W or XBR series is of interest although I'm leaning towards a 50/58" Panny 800U plasma right now. The only thing that's holding me back is the glare on the plasma - it will be going into a very bright family room.

I have a 46" 1080p panny with the "new anti-reflective" coating. It sits in my apartment living room perpendicular to my front picture window. The panny is bright- bright enough that the glare is only really noticeable in dark scenes, or if the sun REALLY comes out (not often this time of year in detroit) but then even my lcd, which sat in the same spot, would wash out on a bright day.

What annoys me is night-time viewing. I usually sit at the end of the couch watching tv, my GF is at the other end of said couch with the reading lamp on picking thru her magazines. The reflection of her and and the lamp is absolutely center of the screen for me- like a damn mirror. I wasn't expecting this as my father has last years 42" 720p panny and his display I not nearly as refective... Turns out panasonic lifted the coating a bit to achieve better brightness/contrast- especially on th 1080p models which were critisized as being a bit dimmer than their 720p counterparts.

Oh well. For me, I'll gladly pay this penalty for the picture of the panasonic- it's gorgeous.

Typed from my BB.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #243 of 252 Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody here have both LCD and Plasma? And actually enjoy both for different reasons?
post #244 of 252 Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

Anybody here have both LCD and Plasma? And actually enjoy both for different reasons?

I had an LCD TV for 4 days.... hated every moment it was on. Promptly returned it and bought a plasma. MUCH happier being on the plasma bandwagon. I recently purchased my second plasma in late Oct of this yr. I put great time into reviewing the best LCDs and taking the time to view them instore. It is my opinion that the best LCDs are at least 2 generations away from competing with today's best plasma panels

I do have LCD panels for my computers. For that purpose I enjoy LCD
post #245 of 252 Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx View Post

Does that adversly affect the way the display handle motion/action?

One Word,

YES!!!

The motion resolution drops by a large amount.

Most of the time it cuts it in half or even more.

Here is an article about it.
Counting blurry lines.

Look at about the 7th paragraph.
When they talk about "anti-judder" or "smooth modes" , thats what they are talking about.

According to HD Guru, The Samsung LNT46950 (LED backight LCD) measured 1080 lines with the "soap opera effect" turned on.
And when they disabled it, The motion resolution dropped to 330 lines.

Thats a BIG difference.

you can read about that here:
HDGURU hdtv resolution
post #246 of 252 Old 12-06-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^
The CNET "geek box" in Katz's words in that article said "by design to be objective". I've always claimed that the only feature anyone should follow on Cnet is the "geek box".

Now HDGURU doesn't he sing to the plasma choir? Not saying he's wrong I'm saying he's formed a preference IMO. Just like other threads here take the "science" how you percieve it. I wish to think for myself.

I believe in my perception. We can find articles all day long to support ones leanings. I'm sure that if I went hunting I could find some that would differ.

Lets put it this way. Chad's solidly in the plasma camp, oldcband is neither.

Like Hififun says. Looking for "balance".

These are just my opinions.
post #247 of 252 Old 12-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

I enjoy both and I primarily watch tv/sports on the lcd and game and movies on the plasma.
post #248 of 252 Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

^^^
The CNET "geek box" in Katz's words in that article said "by design to be objective". I've always claimed that the only feature anyone should follow on Cnet is the "geek box".

Now HDGURU doesn't he sing to the plasma choir? Not saying he's wrong I'm saying he's formed a preference IMO. Just like other threads here take the "science" how you percieve it. I wish to think for myself.

I believe in my perception. We can find articles all day long to support ones leanings. I'm sure that if I went hunting I could find some that would differ.

Lets put it this way. Chad's solidly in the plasma camp, oldcband is neither.

Like Hififun says. Looking for "balance".

Funny how you dump on HD guru and Cnet, yet you reccommend them to other members when their views are the way you like them.

Like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post10838851

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14803244

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14425853

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post11863391

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post11415428

Quote:

^^^Lets put it this way. Chad's solidly in the plasma camp, oldcband is neither..

Unlike some that are only in the Camps of the technology they own (wonder who that could be?),
I am in the Camp of whatever display tech can display the best overall picture.
And right now that is Plasma.

And if HIFI is your favorite poster, then heaven help you.
There is a reason that he has a small post count and puts phrases like "Bright my ARse" on his avatar, Its a possibility that he is a previous poster hiding who he is. But thats only my guess and I could be wrong.

Oh, and by the way, everything I posted was a fact, if you are going to dispute it then please do it with data for once
post #249 of 252 Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
You been busy Chad.

Pretty much what I said, C-net's testing is top notch.

But like I said when it comes to the human element thats when it breaks down.

But like you and others that think this is a "science" just google "scientists don't agree" and I couldn't list all the links. From cancer to the enviroment they just don't agree with each other like here.

Math is an absolute but when the TV makers have no standards to go by to test contrast or ms response times etc, well how absolute can this be. Thats why I laugh at the pros here with all there goofy numbers they throw around.

Think for yourself you'll be way ahead. And hififun is the most intelligent poster on the AVS. Just hope they let him continue.

post #250 of 252 Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

^^^
You been busy Chad.

Pretty much what I said, C-net's testing is top notch.

But like I said when it comes to the human element thats when it breaks down.

But like you and others that think this is a "science" just google "scientists don't agree" and I couldn't list all the links. From cancer to the enviroment they just don't agree with each other like here.

Math is an absolute but when the TV makers have no standards to go by to test contrast or ms response times etc, well how absolute can this be. Thats why I laugh at the pros here with all there goofy numbers they throw around.

Think for yourself you'll be way ahead. And hififun is the most intelligent poster on the AVS. Just hope they let him continue.

Let's be perfectly honest here, the only reason you feel this way, is that he shares opinions that coincide with that of your own.

As far as you looking for "balance", is rather hypocritical. Your post history plants you whole heartedly in the LCD camp, with random posts amidst a civil discussion like "Watch Eight Below on your plasma", or "if you like whites covered in urine"... Truly objective and informative.
post #251 of 252 Old 12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

"Watch Eight Below on your plasma", or "if you like whites covered in urine"

Seriously I don't respond to your posts since you turned in me a few weeks ago. You come picking a fight then when I responded you turn me into the mods. Please use the ignore funtion.

Also I don't believe the "urine" comment is mine.

And whats wrong with me saying the movie "eight below" looks bad on plasma? Dim plasmas have issues? Contrary to you trying to lable me an LCD guy, I just want a TV to work right.

But I'd rather you just ignore me. Please don't respond to "this" or my posts and I wasn't going to respond to yours.

post #252 of 252 Old 12-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page