Help! - I need a 37-42 inch LCD or Plasma @$600-$800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my conundrum - I need a 37-42 inch TV in the 600-800 dollar price range. I have to buy it in the next couple weeks. I'll be sitting 8-9 feet away from the set. Ideally I would like a TV that will have a nice longevity, I don't want to buy something that is completely out of date next year (although I know my price range limits that

I've been looking at sites like Tiger Direct and amazon warehouse deals, and have had good luck finding TV's, but I'm not sure what is really a good TV versus just a good deal.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

A few suggestions... I'd be happy with either of them.

1080p
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KD...942675&sr=1-12
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A5...7942780&sr=1-7

720p
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42B4...942859&sr=1-10
http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LG30-42-I...7942947&sr=1-9

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #3 of 7 Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 AM

"Good" for you will depend on what you'll be using the TV for, Gaming, Blueray,
HD cable/Sat., Regular SD cable?, and what your room looks like, Bright/Dark, Off Axis seating?
Those answers will help decide whether LCD or Plasma is better for you.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I figured I would bump this since I am in a similar situation. As of now this will be for SD Tivo on Directv. I will eventually be upgrading to HD once the new Directivos come out or around the same time switching to Fios so the end of this year or beginning of next. I will also be using my 360 and Wii on the set. The majority of viewing will be done direct but some will be off to the side depending on how many people are over since I have limited seating in the room. The seating is 8-10 feet from the set and the room is fairly bright due to sliding glass doors. Also the room is open with no real way to black it out since the kitchen and dining room are connected.

I would be replacing a JVC D-series 36 CRT so my primary goal is just to have a wider version without losing any screen height. If I should wait so I can raise my budget it is an option since I don't have any immediate plans to jump to HD and my sets work fine since the 36" will be replacing my 32" CRT JVC in my bedroom.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

I figured I would bump this since I am in a similar situation. As of now this will be for SD Tivo on Directv. I will eventually be upgrading to HD once the new Directivos come out or around the same time switching to Fios so the end of this year or beginning of next. I will also be using my 360 and Wii on the set. The majority of viewing will be done direct but some will be off to the side depending on how many people are over since I have limited seating in the room. The seating is 8-10 feet from the set and the room is fairly bright due to sliding glass doors. Also the room is open with no real way to black it out since the kitchen and dining room are connected.

I would be replacing a JVC D-series 36 CRT so my primary goal is just to have a wider version without losing any screen height. If I should wait so I can raise my budget it is an option since I don't have any immediate plans to jump to HD and my sets work fine since the 36" will be replacing my 32" CRT JVC in my bedroom.

You seem to be right in the middle with most of those circumstances.
Lower end plasmas tend to handle SD sources better than lower end LCD's.
LCD's typically handle high ambient light/glare situations better than plasmas.
Plasmas generally have better viewing angles for off axis seating.
Conventional wisdom was that LCD's were better for the static images that gaming leaves on the screen for extended periods, but that seems to be less true with each generation of plasma. For serious gaming I would still look closely at the model of plasma you were considering, and it's potential for IR.
For casual gaming I think either technology would work for you.
At 8-10 feet the larger the screen size the better, within your budget.
Personally, I think at those screen sizes 720P is acceptable, unless you are getting 1080P at the same price, and not sacrificing other features or PQ.

Of the above suggestions the Samsung Plasma PN42B450 is brand new, and seems promising, once more is known about it. Of the new Samsung LCD's the LN40B530 I believe is close to the budget above, too. LG is wheeling out their 2009 plasma's and LCD's. The 42PQ30 plasma is worth a look. Panny TC- 42X1 plasma also. Hope that's of some help.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks I will check those out. Yeah I am not a serious gamer so that isn't a huge concern. I tend to use my 360 more as a DVD player these days or for streaming netflix. It definitely sounds more like plasma would be the way to go for me. Thinking about it now ambient lighting may not be a huge factor since the kitchen and sliding glass doors are on the side so I don't tend to have any direct light hitting the screen. I just can't get the room pitch black.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

It definitely sounds more like plasma would be the way to go for me. Thinking about it now ambient lighting may not be a huge factor since the kitchen and sliding glass doors are on the side so I don't tend to have any direct light hitting the screen. I just can't get the room pitch black.

Although there's no direct light on the screen, you have to consider reflections. I was considering a Samsung 650 LCD for my living room, and the screen is glass (or almost so). So I took the 42" LG plasma from my bedroom and placed it in the living room to see how a glossy screen would fare. No direct light on the screen, but with the light coming through the side via the sliders, the reflections of the sofa, coffee table and even my kids, made the picture unviewable.

So I tried out a Sharp, great non-reflective screen, but after a month I was craving better PQ so picked up a Sony W4100. I do get some reflection, but only a little, and not enough to distract from the movie.

If you can, try out a screen to see how it performs with glare and reflection and return or exchange if necessary; if it wasn't for this issue, my living room wall would likely be wearing a Samsung 650 instead of the W4100.

Good luck with your decision.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page