Amazon.com good place to buy TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a new TV and I was going to order off of Amazon due to free shipping, no tax, and easy delivery. The only problem is warranty. Is amazon the best place I could order from or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 AM

I ordered my 52" Samsung there for the same reasons. Delivery was great, guy called me from the company to setup the appt, they called ahead of time to verify I would be there and they were pretty much right on time. As for the warranty, I don't think Amazon offers anything past 30 days, after that it's up to the manufacturers warranty (probably 1 year). That's the case for pretty much everywhere though. I would be wary of places that sell their own warranties in addition to the TV price.
post #3 of 49 Old 04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Good? It's arguably the best.
post #4 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Good? It's arguably the best.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely a great place to buy a TV.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
my experience buying a TV from Amazon was an absolute nightmare.
two broken tv's in a row (busted glass). And dealing with customer service was horrible (India call center).

I bought a PS3 from them about 2 weeks ago and it came really fast but was broken. This time the replacement was SUPER fast. my PS3 broke at 5:00pm on thursday, and i had the replacement in my hand the next day at 3:55pm. So they did an ok job this time.

I would not have bought from them, but I got a recognition award at work and the gift was an amazon certificate.

I generally try to steer clear of companys like amazon. I don't like having to talk to someone in india when I have a problem in america. And i really hate having to repeat everything i am saying over and over again. lol.
post #6 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
No complaints here.

I bought a TV from them a few years ago, and it arrived DOA. It was replaced quickly without any hassle.

The replacement had a minor issue, and again, they replaced the entire set at lightning speed.

I'd buy from them again if the price was right.
post #7 of 49 Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

I bought mine there and would so again without hesitation.

Just know the specific issues about buying mail order before hand so you won't feel cheated:

How to accept
How to return
post #8 of 49 Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Horrible experience here... won't buy anything at Amazon that isn't media now.
post #9 of 49 Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

I would not have bought from them, but I got a recognition award at work and the gift was an amazon certificate.

When the recognition award was granted to honor you for accumulating the most web surfing time when you were supposed to be working... yea that pretty much HAS to be accompanied by an online gift certificate.
post #10 of 49 Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

I've ordered three tvs from amazon, and all three went smoothly. Smaller tvs (37 inch and below) ship by normal ups, and larger ones ship by ceva. I live in rural southern oklahoma, yet in all three cases I received my tv in less than a week. One tv I had to return, and I had no problem returning it through ups, it was a smaller one though, but they gave me the shipping label and that was that. On the big tv the delivery man said that if I had to return it he would just come back, put it in the box and take it away.
post #11 of 49 Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM

My experience with Amazon was great. Quick, professional delivery and no problems. I also got several price-match refunds, although unfortunately they don't do that anymore. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Amazon, even on a big-ticket item.

Samsung LN52A650, Denon AVR-1908, Klipsch Reference 7.1, Harmony One, Comcast Moto DC6412III, XBOX 360 Elite, PS3 80GB, WII
post #12 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon is arguable one of the best online retailers to buy expensive products from. However, it's not perfect, so they aways be few unsatisfied customers.

As for the call centers, they should only be used if there's a serious issue. For return/refund, you should use the online form to create a return label.
post #13 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So far I have had good luck buying through them !!

Like any other service it is not perfect!
post #14 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
MY personal experience has been good so far. I ordered a 5020FD and then I returned it for various reasons. They picked up the set without any issues.

Last week I ordered a Samsung LN52A750 from Amazon again and it was delivered without any issues.

The one thing you have to make sure if that when you purchase from Amazon makes sure the seller is actually Amazon and not a partner, this will make returns easier if you need to return the TV.
post #15 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Forgot to make that point

When buying expensive items from Amazon (>100USD), make sure to buy directly from Amazon and not via Amazon's Preferred Merchant or Amazon Market Place.

A lot of people make that mistake and it's their fault tbh.
post #16 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I buy from Amazon quite a bit, I rarely buy things retail if its mundane things I need.

One great thing about Amazon is returns are prepaid.

BUY is also a good source but!!! today, I received an item I have to return, and I have to pay the shipping back. Doesn't make any sense to do so. That's the difference between Amazon and others.
post #17 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Just be careful. They have some internal metrics and if they decide the value of your returns are too high (ie TVs are high) they can just close your account. This has happened to a lot of folks including myself.

You don't necessarily have to be abusive for it to happen, as I provided documentation with my 2 TV returns (photos, etc)... and had talked to Pioneer before I went back to the vendor. Amazon admitted my returns were justified but closed the account anyways. Some people who had this happen lost gift cards and such. I wasted a couple of weeks e-mailing back and forth to no avail.
post #18 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

Just be careful. They have some internal metrics and if they decide the value of your returns are too high (ie TVs are high) they can just close your account. This has happened to a lot of folks including myself.

You don't necessarily have to be abusive for it to happen, as I provided documentation with my 2 TV returns (photos, etc)... and had talked to Pioneer before I went back to the vendor. Amazon admitted my returns were justified but closed the account anyways. Some people who had this happen lost gift cards and such. I wasted a couple of weeks e-mailing back and forth to no avail.

Here is one example of Amazon doing that to a customer.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc...ing_on_the.php

"Amazon Takes First Steps to Destroy Kindle

04.16.09 -- 12:36PM
By Josh Marshall
I've been saying on the site how much I hooked on my Amazon Kindle. But from the beginning my big worry has been the market power -- arbitrary power -- this gives Amazon over your entire book collection. Here's a story about a guy who bought a Kindle, liked it, used it, etc. But then Amazon decided he'd returned too many real world items. So they turned off his Amazon account, thus making his $300-plus Kindle into a mostly useless piece of plastic. He had to spend a lot of time begging and pleading with Amazon customer service to be allowed to use his Kindle again."
post #19 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM

I've also had nothing but positive experience buying stuff from amazon (fingers crossed). I bought an LCD TV for my dad and everything worked out just fine and the TV is still running strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

So far I have had good luck buying through them !!

Like any other service it is not perfect! [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif[/IMG]

post #20 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Argh greenland now I want to register there and post but I'll refrain.

That was one of the most infuriating things about the experience. When I got my account closed there were all of these others that had the same thing happen... and when we'd try to discuss it we got to hear all these "you scammers got what you deserved!" people that had no idea what they were talking about.

I had been using Amazon for years and years with no problems. I recall an HD DVD player that arrived mangled by the shipping company (like literally one of the feet was an inch off the ground, it was all misshapen) that I swapped for the exact same item... then a 5080 that had what is now known as "blotching". I think I was the first or second person at AVS to report this and pics are posted someplace. I opted to swap for a 5010 which arrived with what is now known as DSE. Mine is a horizontal line across the middle of the panel, all the way left to right... and some vertical streaks too. Again, nothing was documented about this defect yet... and it was very obvious even on solid colors.

Amazon cheerfully offered to exchange it, and even to let me hang onto the first one to make sure the new one wasn't worse. Then bam, account closed. To this day I still have the DSE 5010 and it's one of the worst cases of it I've seen. I wish I had kept the 5080 as it was only rarely visible on content... much less so than my 5010.

But I was offered no "appeal". They simply gave me a tally of my returns in $$ format, including the 5010 which I wasn't allowed to return. So that was like $5k.. and 95% of all my other orders were books/dvds so it was a small $$ in comparison. I sent pics of the defects, data from conversations with Pioneer... even links to discussions about the issues on AVS. Nada...

The 2 craziest things I heard were something like "Normal customers need to return 1-2 items over the lifetime of their accounts and you're wanting to return 2 TVs at over $5000 in a month." And "yes we agree that your TVs are defective, that isn't the issue. The issue is that some customers simply become unprofitable to us and it is not in our best interest to do business with them."
post #21 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 2 craziest things I heard were something like "Normal customers need to return 1-2 items over the lifetime of their accounts and you're wanting to return 2 TVs at over $5000 in a month." And "yes we agree that your TVs are defective, that isn't the issue. The issue is that some customers simply become unprofitable to us and it is not in our best interest to do business with them."

The defects aren't the issue? IOW, they must think that you caused the defects or you are too fussy about the quality of the TVs; probably the latter.

I recall this case, and I was thinking about it, before you recounted it. I don't see how you could have caused those problems, nor do I think you were being fussy, not even close.

I wish they would have provided the exact reason why they were closing the account. As you said, they wouldn't allow a second defective TV return in a month. No one knows what their limit is until a second defective TV return is allowed. If it were discretionary, I could understand it, but defective, that is ridiculous.
post #22 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

MY personal experience has been good so far. I ordered a 5020FD and then I returned it for various reasons. They picked up the set without any issues.

Last week I ordered a Samsung LN52A750 from Amazon again and it was delivered without any issues.

The one thing you have to make sure if that when you purchase from Amazon makes sure the seller is actually Amazon and not a partner, this will make returns easier if you need to return the TV.

just out of curiousity, why did you return the 5020FD? I just ordered one so I am kind of curious.
post #23 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurob12 View Post

just out of curiousity, why did you return the 5020FD? I just ordered one so I am kind of curious.

Mine had that DSE, but mostly because I couldn't stand the 60Hz flicker on the set.

Some unlucky people like me are very sensitive to flicker, like the older CRT monitors, unless it is 85Hz or higher I would get headaches.
post #24 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Mine had that DSE, but mostly because I couldn't stand the 60Hz flicker on the set.

Some unlucky people like me are very sensitive to flicker, like the older CRT monitors, unless it is 85Hz or higher I would get headaches.

What is DSE? Pardon my n00bness
post #25 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Horrible experience here... won't buy anything at Amazon that isn't media now.[IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif[/IMG]

Really?? Sorry to hear. I've switched over from E-Bay to Amazon. In fact, I have a Nikon and a electric shaver that got shipped out yesterday. So far in my 3 years with Amazon, no problems at all.
post #26 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I buy from everyone, I even buy groceries on occassion. Amazon since 2000. Ebay since 2004. However, I consider whatever I buy on eBay a gamble, as in I will pay and not get anything back, but so far its been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamillitary View Post

Really?? Sorry to hear. I've switched over from E-Bay to Amazon. In fact, I have a Nikon and a electric shaver that got shipped out yesterday. So far in my 3 years with Amazon, no problems at all.

Dirty screen effect

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122873

The bane of plasmas

Quote:

What is DSE? Pardon my n00bness

post #27 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I wish they would have provided the exact reason why they were closing the account. As you said, they wouldn't allow a second defective TV return in a month. No one knows what their limit is until a second defective TV return is allowed. If it were discretionary, I could understand it, but defective, that is ridiculous.

I honestly think there is no consistent metric that they use. I think they decide to prune the hedges occasionally so it's alot to do with timing, just my theory though.

I just looked back and I'd been doing business with them since 2001 actually, so like 7 years.
post #28 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturation View Post

I buy from everyone, I even buy groceries on occassion. Amazon since 2000. Ebay since 2004. However, I consider whatever I buy on eBay a gamble, as in I will pay and not get anything back, but so far its been good.

Dirty screen effect

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122873

The bane of plasmas

well crap, maybe I should have went with the 52A650?
post #29 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamillitary View Post

From most all reports, Amazon is a great place to purchase from and even return an item if there's a problem. The common denominator appears to be when multiple returns are done in a short period of time. Amazon is a volume seller operating on thin profit margins and every return eats into that thin margin. It sounds like their approach is to cut off those that are costing them money. If you never have a need for a return or occasionally a return, then it doesn't sound like you'll have any problems.
post #30 of 49 Old 04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well crap, maybe I should have went with the 52A650?

I wouldn't go that far. The bane of LCD is mura, which is uneven imaging in the panels also known as flashlighting or clouding or banding.

So, whichever tech you choose, there's a downside.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page