Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #361 of 367 Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i cant believe all the burn in talk in this thread. the mods created one burn in thread as the offical thread so other threads wouldnt degenerate into it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 367 Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Almost every review of an LCD will also bring up the poor off axis viewing angle so it's not just "plasma fan boys" and it is a reality.

Not a problem if you don't sit off axis. In my bedroom, where my Samsung LNa650 is located, I don't sit off axis. I just enjoy a beautiful LCD display that fit my needs.

My Kuro is in my family room where the windows are always shaded, where the need for superior viewing is necessary. My plasma screen fits my family room enviornment better my LCD.
post #363 of 367 Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviii View Post

Actually, with my panny plasma the room was like living in the sahara desert. With my current sony LCD the temperature after a whole movie decreases several degrees, which is expected since it consumes 1xxW instead of 4xxW.

LCD's are more energy efficent because they need less watts to get the same ammount of light, but it's just not the "wasted" energy the one than creates heat. If a 150W TV is switched on, 150W of energy are "wasted" (128977,5 Kcal/h or "235 Big Maczzz each hour!!1" say it as you want), be it light, sound, infrarred... All of those watts end up warming your room.

So let me get this straight, your Sony LCD is like an air conditioner and your old Panasonic was like a heater?

Now this is getting really out of control.

Just out of curiousity what model Sony do you have now and what Panasonic did you have in the past? What size room were they in?
post #364 of 367 Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

i cant believe all the burn in talk in this thread. the mods created one burn in thread as the offical thread so other threads wouldnt degenerate into it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107

Like I challenge the spreaders of misinformation, if burn-in is no longer a issue with plasma, please have moderators remove the thread.
post #365 of 367 Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I switched from a DLP (more energy efficient than any large screen LCD) to a plasma, and notice absolutely zero difference in room temperature.

My receiver puts out far more heat than both of those displays put together, and even it's not enough to make a measureable difference in ambient temp.

And anecdotally, I was in NBC's NYC studios this weekend, and they have Sharp LCDs all over the place. I noticed that they put out a load of heat, but just like my plasma, you needed to get up close to notice.
post #366 of 367 Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Like I challenge the spreaders of misinformation, if burn-in is no longer a issue with plasma, please have moderators remove the thread.

If burn in is such a big issue to you then why did you buy a plasma?
post #367 of 367 Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviii View Post

Actually, with my panny plasma the room was like living in the sahara desert. With my current sony LCD the temperature after a whole movie decreases several degrees, which is expected since it consumes 1xxW instead of 4xxW.

LCD's are more energy efficent because they need less watts to get the same ammount of light, but it's just not the "wasted" energy the one than creates heat. If a 150W TV is switched on, 150W of energy are "wasted" (128977,5 Kcal/h or "235 Big Maczzz each hour!!1" say it as you want), be it light, sound, infrarred... All of those watts end up warming your room.

Not all light generated will generate heat. Take LEDs for example. They are much more efficient at using the same amount of energy to produce light instead of heat vs. an incandescent bulb.

I have a Panasonic plasma and it significantly feels warmer in front and in back by the fans compared to an LCD of the same size. I also own a Panasonic LCD and it feels as warm as my plasma.

Either way though, I still don't think the warmth of the set is worth the sacrifice in PQ I would have to take by buying an LCD.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page