post #181 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

So you were afraid that your Plasma would experience burn in?

As you illustrated in the above example, the public perception is that Plasmas can experience burn-in. Once the public perception about a particular technology/product has set it, it is very difficult to change that perception of said product.

For those consumers who have seen a plasma display with burn-in, or even just heard about a display with burn-in, its going to be in the back of their mind every time they see a plasma display on sale. It can't be helped, its how our brains work. That's why you woke up in a panic when you left the color bars on your screen. It took the experience of doing something that should've caused burn-in on your screen failing to do so before your fears could be allayed, and while it may have convinced yourself that modern PDP's are essentially immune to burn-in, the rest of us who haven't had a similar experience still hold to the old perception that plasmas can burn-in.

In that case, can you really blame someone for choosing the "safer" technology?

I'm going to give you another example:

The Xbox 360. While it is selling quite well and is kicking butt, it got the reputation of being a poorly made product, due to the Red Ring of Death syndrome, where three red lights would appear on the front of the console, which meant a critical failure in the motherboard, i.e. a dead xbox. This became so rampant, that people have reported to have purchased 3, 4 or even 5 360's. Others report having sent the console in to microsoft for repairs, to receive a fixed or replacement 360, only to have the new one break. Many have repeated that process 3 or more times! Microsoft themselves admitted to the problem, extending the warranty of the 360 to 3 years, allowing replacement of units that got the 3 lights of doom within that 3 year period.

I myself refuse to purchase an Xbox 360 for this reason. Am I way off base? I went throught this very thing with the PS2, having eventually purchased a total of 3 within 3 years time (3rd time was the charm and my 3rd PS2 lasted for 5 years) and I am loathe to buy into an electronic product that has a known and recognized failure rate.

My fears of plasma burn-in stem from having worked at Best Buy and taking down plasma displays which did indeed have burn-in. Sure, it was 7 years ago that I worked there, but still the image remains in my mind and I just can't bring myself to purchase a plasma because of it.

So if you fell off your bike when you were a little kid you would never ride a bike again because the image of you falling off your bike would be too strong ?
Do you feel the thousands of people who own plasmas and have no issues have a big conspiracy to get you to buy it so we can all live in burn-in agony ?

The public "perception" about plasma is fueled by the LCD manufacturers and
TV salesman who are looking to make more commission on their TV's.
Most people have never owned a plasma because they cost so much when there REALLY were problems. (7-10 years ago plasmas were 4000 dollars and up..)
As I said in my first post...the reality is burn in/ir/screen glare do not exist in the current plasmas(panasonic). If people are too stupid to realize that than go spend your 3000.00 on your new LED and convince yourself that its the best TV out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog2004 View Post

So if you fell off your bike when you were a little kid you would never ride a bike again because the image of you falling off your bike would be too strong ?

That actually happens to a lot of people you know. Someone who almost drowns is afraid to go into a large body of water afterward. Someone who has had a loved one die in an airplane accident is afraid to fly afterward. Someone who is bitten by a dog as a small child is afraid of them the rest of their life. Association is a very powerful thing and extraordinarily common.

Quote:

Do you feel the thousands of people who own plasmas and have no issues have a big conspiracy to get you to buy it so we can all live in burn-in agony ?

Of course not. I just feel that those individuals who learn about the possibility of burn-in, shouldn't be ridiculed for choosing to purchase LCD instead of Plasma. Some people are simply cautious with their purchases, especially expensive electronics.
When I was a kid and the Atari 2600 first came out, my grandmother refused to let me hook it up to her big color tv because she heard that it burned images on the screen. She bought me a tiny (17") black and white tv to play it on. (though later I saved up and got myself a 19" color tv). I don't blame my grandmother, she was merely protecting her investment by eliminating the possibility of potential damage to an expensive tv. People who buy LCD over Plasma are simply thinking the same way. It might be FUD from the salespeople (in my case it wasn't. I usually shoo salespeople away until I'm ready to purchase or I need something) but in many cases I don't think so. People know about Plasma burn-in and they don't want to have to deal with it. Is that so wrong?

Quote:

The public "perception" about plasma is fueled by the LCD manufacturers and
TV salesman who are looking to make more commission on their TV's.

Who's talking "conspiracy" here?

Quote:

Most people have never owned a plasma because they cost so much when there REALLY were problems. (7-10 years ago plasmas were 4000 dollars and up..)

But what about those individuals who did own a plasma back in the early days and did experience burn-in and then promptly told all their friends and co-workers, who then went on to tell other people they know about it. Stuff like that spreads like wildfire, especially with the internet these days. It doesn't need a Salesman/manufactuer conspiracy for the average person to be aware of Plasma burn-in. My grandmother was aware of the possibility of burn-in on her old CRT television without the benefit of the internet, nor any kind of salesman conspiracy, simply word of mouth. And she was about as far away from a technically proficient individual as you could find.

Quote:

As I said in my first post...the reality is burn in/ir/screen glare do not exist in the current plasmas(panasonic). If people are too stupid to realize that than go spend your 3000.00 on your new LED and convince yourself that its the best TV out there.

"does not exist" is a bold statement my friend. Are you saying it there is no possibility that it can happen? Everyone else around here tends to say "it most likely won't happen unless you are extremely careless with your set" which tells me the possibility does indeed exist, its just remote. Personally, I don't want to have to deal with it, so I bought LCD.

And your insinuation that people who purchase LCD's need to feel that they have the best tv out there is ludicrous. I have no desire to have "the best" tv. I'm poor, I can't afford "the best". I purchase what suits my needs and fits my budget. I'm not so vain as to require, or to even give others the impression that I have the best available. I'm very comfortable with the size of my penis, thank you.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #183 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 207
The burn-in campaign will never stop from the LCD Industry plant marketeers.

I've never experienced burn-in in my life.

I wonder what it feels like to be an idiot and experience that?
post #184 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Bad analogy. You can always get up and try, again. Burn-ins, on the other hand, are permanent.

Quote:

So, you're saying that the burn-ins on the Panasonic plasma displays (I mentioned it on another thread not too long, ago), that we have at work is just a figment of my imagination, then?
These panels are less than 2 years old.

Danny
post #185 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That actually happens to a lot of people you know. Someone who almost drowns is afraid to go into a large body of water afterward. Someone who has had a loved one die in an airplane accident is afraid to fly afterward. Someone who is bitten by a dog as a small child is afraid of them the rest of their life. Association is a very powerful thing and extraordinarily common.

Of course not. I just feel that those individuals who learn about the possibility of burn-in, shouldn't be ridiculed for choosing to purchase LCD instead of Plasma. Some people are simply cautious with their purchases, especially expensive electronics.
When I was a kid and the Atari 2600 first came out, my grandmother refused to let me hook it up to her big color tv because she heard that it burned images on the screen. She bought me a tiny (17") black and white tv to play it on. (though later I saved up and got myself a 19" color tv). I don't blame my grandmother, she was merely protecting her investment by eliminating the possibility of potential damage to an expensive tv. People who buy LCD over Plasma are simply thinking the same way. It might be FUD from the salespeople (in my case it wasn't. I usually shoo salespeople away until I'm ready to purchase or I need something) but in many cases I don't think so. People know about Plasma burn-in and they don't want to have to deal with it. Is that so wrong?

Who's talking "conspiracy" here?

But what about those individuals who did own a plasma back in the early days and did experience burn-in and then promptly told all their friends and co-workers, who then went on to tell other people they know about it. Stuff like that spreads like wildfire, especially with the internet these days. It doesn't need a Salesman/manufactuer conspiracy for the average person to be aware of Plasma burn-in. My grandmother was aware of the possibility of burn-in on her old CRT television without the benefit of the internet, nor any kind of salesman conspiracy, simply word of mouth. And she was about as far away from a technically proficient individual as you could find.

"does not exist" is a bold statement my friend. Are you saying it there is no possibility that it can happen? Everyone else around here tends to say "it most likely won't happen unless you are extremely careless with your set" which tells me the possibility does indeed exist, its just remote. Personally, I don't want to have to deal with it, so I bought LCD.

And your insinuation that people who purchase LCD's need to feel that they have the best tv out there is ludicrous. I have no desire to have "the best" tv. I'm poor, I can't afford "the best". I purchase what suits my needs and fits my budget. I'm not so vain as to require, or to even give others the impression that I have the best available. I'm very comfortable with the size of my penis, thank you.

Logical arguments. I guess I can only speak from my own experience...I chose LCD initially myself for the very reasons people do now....bright room viewing, brighter picture, whiter whites...etc.
and it wasnt until I actually owned a plasma and plugged it in did I realize that its a great product...LCD is a decent product as well...but in my experience not quite as good as the current plasmas. You are right about public perception though...for all I know Hyundai may make great cars...but I will never buy one because of their previous bad rep...and the public doesnt think much of them either because their resale value is crap. I dont think that perception will ever change...even if it is wrong.
post #186 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I heard somewhere that bestbuy was offering burn-in warrantys now?
Is that actually true>?

If so, then its definitly a good move. They will make a fortune considering they will pretty much never have to pay out anything.
Todays newer plasmas are so hard to burn-in its a complete non-issue.

The only ones that would argue that are those that have never had a newer high-end plasma in thier home and put it to the test. If they had, then they would be saying different.
With Pixel orbitor/shifters, no activity off features, and screen saver features, Its beyond rare.

There so many other things to focus on instead of outdated issues like this.

All I can say is if someone is willing to sacrifice getting the better picture because of fears of burn-in, then I feel bad for them.

wHy So SeRiOus???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #187 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Logical arguments. I guess I can only speak from my own experience...I chose LCD initially myself for the very reasons people do now....bright room viewing, brighter picture, whiter whites...etc.
and it wasnt until I actually owned a plasma and plugged it in did I realize that its a great product...LCD is a decent product as well...but in my experience not quite as good as the current plasmas. You are right about public perception though...for all I know Hyundai may make great cars...but I will never buy one because of their previous bad rep...and the public doesnt think much of them either because their resale value is crap. I dont think that perception will ever change...even if it is wrong.

Exactly.

We can all only go by our own experiences. We can take what someone tells us into consideration, but the most powerful influence on our thinking will be that which we experience personally. Those individuals who love LCD are usually those who have never owned plasma. There are some exceptions, but its [i]generally[/] true. I myself find it difficult to bring myself to purchase plasma because of my own experience with it (working at Best Buy 7-ish years ago and having to take down sets with Burn-in). Even after doing 2 years of research (around here and other web sites and comparison shopping at many, many stores) and hearing time and time again that Burn-in is essentially a thing of the past, I can't get past the image burned in my brain (pun intended!) of the sets we had to replace back in the day.

My main fear is that gaming marathons will affect the tv. I can do 10 hours easily and my girlfriend does 12+hours when she's into a game, and we both play JRPG's that have a lot of static images on screen for long periods of time. Probably what will happen when I move into a new place is that the 40" LCD I have now will become the gaming tv and we will get a bigger (50+) plasma for watching movies.

post #188 of 367 Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm helping my in-laws pick out their first HDTV, and I'm going back and forth between LCD and Plasma for them. The main sticking point is one of the main things being discussed in this thread - the dreaded spectre known as burn-in. I understand a lot of the burn-in brouhaha is overblown, but I have some concerns about it in this specific case, because I suspect they will be watching a LOT of 4:3/pillarboxed material.
Are my worries unfounded? I'd really feel bad steering them toward a plasma, then having them experience issues with it. But it seems like, for a fixed $ amount, they could get a bigger/better plasma than LCD.
post #189 of 367 Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

Not so sure about the cheapest part but certainly loudest marketing and uninformed or just down right bad salespeople. All they want is a commision or to be patted on the head by the boss for making them money. Really sad state the world is in.

I find a lot of people come into a brick and mortar store looking for "the best deal
" on a tv.

"What's the best price you have?" is what I hear more than anything.

Then you have those who come in and say "I want a 46" or 52" LCD. What's the best one you got?"

Then you have the people who honestly think that the June Digital transition is going to make everything HD. Oy! Trying to explain what it's really about is an exercise in futility. But, yeah, most people come in with their minds made up about the technology they want. If I try to spend time educating them on what might be a better choice than what they came in for, they will likely get frustrated and leave.

And then go buy their first choice somewhere else.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #190 of 367 Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

I find a lot of people come into a brick and mortar store looking for "the best deal
" on a tv.

"What's the best price you have?" is what I hear more than anything.

Then you have those who come in and say "I want a 46" or 52" LCD. What's the best one you got?"

Then you have the people who honestly think that the June Digital transition is going to make everything HD. Oy! Trying to explain what it's really about is an exercise in futility. But, yeah, most people come in with their minds made up about the technology they want. If I try to spend time educating them on what might be a better choice than what they came in for, they will likely get frustrated and leave.

And then go buy their first choice somewhere else.

This is probably very true. It IS very hard to change people's minds once they decide on what they want....the readers of this website are in reality probably only 1 percent of the general public.....most people dont know what true HD looks like...what blu ray really is or that "digital" doesnt mean HD.
Unfortunately plasma doesnt do as good of a job marketing their product as they should....the reality is they have a superior product in many ways...but that doesnt mean it will be accepted by the masses. Look at IPOD....is that really the best sounding MP3 player ?
post #191 of 367 Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

LED is currently a poor choice for backlighting LCD sets, for one they only have a 50,000 hour half life (vs 60,000 hours for a CCFL LCD and 100,000 hours for a Panny Plasma) two, LEDs have serious aging issues, where no two bulbs in the set ages at the same rate. (and local dim sets are very suceptable to uneven wear from black bars) and third, their light output wavelength = poor off angle viewing vs normal LCD and terrible off angle viewing compared to plasma.

Give LED backlights another 3 years to improve and they might be worth something.

http://gizmodo.com/5151865/led-bulb-...what-they-seem

http://www.nickhill.co.uk/white_LED_...xpectancy.html

The problem with 3 years, is OLED HDTVs should be out by then.

post #192 of 367 Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM

I have owned plasma's since 5 years ago, my Dad still owns his Pioneer 3rd Gen. model, even on his old set, which has really been abused does not have any "burn-in" . Plasma burn-in is about as difficult, THESE DAYS, as with old direct view CRT's, which is to say very difficult, but yes, still possible. Once a Plasma is aged passed it's "break-in" period, as with direct-view CRT's, it really takes almost purpose abuse to cause burn-in.

I agree that LCD sets have their place, as they are even less susceptible to burn-in; as in signage applications and airport displays, but they just do not make, comparatively, good graphics displays. The motion blur will always be a problem no matter how many times the refresh rate is doubled over (because it is inherent to the LC material twisting and untwisting), the off-axis angle viewing can still be seen quite easily on the current "best" LCD's, the black levels are quite horrible, except for local-dim LED backlit LCD's (but then we introduce more problems, including burn-in).

The one thing that LCD has over plasma is its availability in smaller sizes, basically 32" and smaller, though, I tried to own one of the better 32" models for one of my rooms and was so disappointed in the black levels that I bought a used 34" HD CRT instead. Though considering the used market for good HD CRT's will eventually dry up, LCD is the only choice for smaller displays (since the 32" Plasma's have been discontinued). Other than that, in my opinion, large LCD's (over 32"), made for any other reason than signage are simply a waste of the Earth's natural resources (remember this is my opinion).

Additionally, I have to mention that the continued usage of CFL and Cold-Cathode CFL's continue allowing lamps containing mercury vapor inside of the average American home. Albeit a small amount, each bulb contains approximately 5-15mg of mercury vapor, which means more and more people will be disposing of TV's with a very harmful substance into regular dumpsters, and whatnot. However, I suppose the influx of CFL's as light sources does more anyway I just don't like the idea that these LCD sets have such a harmful substance in them.
post #193 of 367 Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 View Post

Additionally, I have to mention that the continued usage of CFL and Cold-Cathode CFL's continue allowing lamps containing mercury vapor inside of the average American home. Albeit a small amount, each bulb contains approximately 5-15mg of mercury vapor, which means more and more people will be disposing of TV's with a very harmful substance into regular dumpsters, and whatnot. However, I suppose the influx of CFL's as light sources does more anyway I just don't like the idea that these LCD sets have such a harmful substance in them.

In some places it is now illegal to dispose of a lot of different electronic components via the standard garbage can. You must turn such products into a center of some kind. I'm assuming TV's are included in these restricted products. (I know computers aren't supposed to go in the garbage)

post #194 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

This is probably very true. It IS very hard to change people's minds once they decide on what they want....the readers of this website are in reality probably only 1 percent of the general public.....most people dont know what true HD looks like...what blu ray really is or that "digital" doesnt mean HD.
Unfortunately plasma doesnt do as good of a job marketing their product as they should....the reality is they have a superior product in many ways...but that doesnt mean it will be accepted by the masses. Look at IPOD....is that really the best sounding MP3 player ?

Most people are tired of the enviornment being screwed up. We want enviornmentally friendly products that are suitable for the future.
post #195 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

And which is environmentally friendly?

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
post #196 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
off topic , i seriously didnt know about this - the pacific floating garbage patch is supposedely twice the size of the u.s. and 300 ft deep. they call it a new ecosystem.
post #197 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

enough to make one all warm and fuzzy inside isn't it!

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
post #198 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

I'm helping my in-laws pick out their first HDTV, and I'm going back and forth between LCD and Plasma for them. The main sticking point is one of the main things being discussed in this thread - the dreaded spectre known as burn-in. I understand a lot of the burn-in brouhaha is overblown, but I have some concerns about it in this specific case, because I suspect they will be watching a LOT of 4:3/pillarboxed material.
Are my worries unfounded? I'd really feel bad steering them toward a plasma, then having them experience issues with it. But it seems like, for a fixed $ amount, they could get a bigger/better plasma than LCD.

No burn-in, but my 2005 50 inch Philips plasma with Ambilight background has suffered from image retention in the past. Curiously, it hasn't happened in over a year. Each time I would turn off the TV at night and in the morning the image retention would be gone. Would I trade it for an LCD? Not on your life. The picture quality is superior to anything I've seen with the exception of this year's Panasonic 1080p Plasma's. Image retention is temporary, and harmless, since no damage was done. Burn in has never happened. I don't even get image retention anymore. Am I lucky? I don't know. I just know I love my plasma TV. I dare anyone to report true burn-in, and describe the non-abusive situation. Defining abuse, I would qualify it as leaving home for a month and forgetting to turn off the TV, with a static image playing. Or something similar to that. Please also distinguish between temporary image retention, which is harmless and goes away, and permanent burn-in, which is what most people are afraid of.
post #199 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazishere View Post

No burn-in, but my 2005 50 inch Philips plasma with Ambilight background has suffered from image retention in the past. Curiously, it hasn't happened in over a year. Each time I would turn off the TV at night and in the morning the image retention would be gone. Would I trade it for an LCD? Not on your life. The picture quality is superior to anything I've seen with the exception of this year's Panasonic 1080p Plasma's. Image retention is temporary, and harmless, since no damage was done. Burn in has never happened. I don't even get image retention anymore. Am I lucky? I don't know. I just know I love my plasma TV. I dare anyone to report true burn-in, and describe the non-abusive situation. Defining abuse, I would qualify it as leaving home for a month and forgetting to turn off the TV, with a static image playing. Or something similar to that. Please also distinguish between temporary image retention, which is harmless and goes away, and permanent burn-in, which is what most people are afraid of.

I would find frequent Image Retention to be highly annoying, if the ghost image could be seen in addition to the material I was attempting to watch or play.

Was the IR problem occurring when the set was new? Must've forgotten the break-in period!

post #200 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would find frequent Image Retention to be highly annoying, if the ghost image could be seen in addition to the material I was attempting to watch or play.

Was the IR problem occurring when the set was new? Must've forgotten the break-in period!

I'm not 100% sure you know what break in is and what it is used for. If some one is going to use it to avoid IR in the first hundred hours of the set they are dumb.

Imagine retention takes a long time of a static image. It's not like you will see it constantly be seeing it.
post #201 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Usually IR can't even be seen through the picture unless it is a black screen shot. Even after a static image for over 6 hours I couldn't see it with the regular screen on, only when it was black. Frequent IR??!!!! Where did that come from, I can't think of a single case of IR other than that time and maybe once when I watched Fox Soccer Channel for quite a time when the display was first brought home. That disappeared the monent a new image started getting played over it. Seriously the IR and burn in issues that are being "discussed" are really insane. Maybe NuSoardGraphite is just angry that they didn't go with plasma and can't go get one now that the choice is now trying to be validated.

post #202 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Y'know, that's pretty much the impression I got, but it's nice to hear it so strongly repeated by several people.
Plus, who knows, once they actually get a set and see that they can tune in several HD stations for free (either ATSC over the air, or QAM over cable), maybe they WON'T want to watch as much of their basic cable stuff anymore, and all this forethought will be for naught.
post #203 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch View Post

I'm not 100% sure you know what break in is and what it is used for. If some one is going to use it to avoid IR in the first hundred hours of the set they are dumb.

Imagine retention takes a long time of a static image. It's not like you will see it constantly be seeing it.

the part of my post referring to the break-in period was a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

Usually IR can't even be seen through the picture unless it is a black screen shot. Even after a static image for over 6 hours I couldn't see it with the regular screen on, only when it was black. Frequent IR??!!!! Where did that come from, I can't think of a single case of IR other than that time and maybe once when I watched Fox Soccer Channel for quite a time when the display was first brought home. That disappeared the monent a new image started getting played over it. Seriously the IR and burn in issues that are being "discussed" are really insane.

Tazishere's post (whom I quoted) made it sound like they were getting frequent cases of IR. And even then I was saying that it would be annoying if it could be seen throught normal programming. If you could only see it on a very dark scene or black screen, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Quote:
Maybe NuSoardGraphite is just angry that they didn't go with plasma and can't go get one now that the choice is now trying to be validated.

I'm quite happy with my LCD. I knew exactly what I was getting into purchasing LCD (the blur, viewing angle etc) as I did 2 years worth of research before I purchased one (notice my Join date. I've only been posting in earnest since I bought my TV back in Feb. Did lots of lurking/reading during 2007 and 2008). The picture quality of the set I purchased is very good. I got a great deal (quite a bit less than $1000) and I'm enjoying movies far more than I was on my old 29" CRT, and I haven't even purchased an A/V reciever and Blu Ray player yet! (very soon!). I can't wait to get my hands on some 1080p goodness. (and I want Final Fantasy XIII now!)

post #204 of 367 Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Yes, it was annoying but what battle do you want? Do you want to sacrifice the better picture and be annoyed by that? No technology is perfect, and you have to live with your choice, unless you custom design your own TV to your own specifications. Who can do that? I would custom design a 70 inch SED or OLED for myself. That is wishful thinking. Anyway, they probably have their own annoying quirks too. You can always find something to be annoyed with if you looked hard enough. Like I said, the image retention hasn't happened for over a year. I'm not annoyed anymore.
post #205 of 367 Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The best cure for fear of burning in a plasma is to get a plasma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Perales View Post

Bad analogy. You can always get up and try, again. Burn-ins, on the other hand, are permanent.

Danny

This shows just how outdated your information is. Burn in can be EASILY rid of via white washing.

On an LCD on the other hand, once you burn it in...it is very very hard to remove!

post #206 of 367 Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

This shows just how outdated your information is. Burn in can be EASILY rid of via white washing.

On an LCD on the other hand, once you burn it in...it is very very hard to remove!

How are you going to get rid of uneven phosphor aging by running 'white wash' screen?
post #207 of 367 Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would knowingly buy a display that was going to give them motion blurring, bad blacks, over emphasized white, generally bad PQ. 7-10 years ago when burnin was a problem o.k., but the way it is today it just makes no sense to me. Why spend ones hard earned money on something you know is not going to perform as it should. Sorry but a blurry image and washed out colors on angled viewing is not correct operation to me. I still would like to know how many fanboys from both sides have actually lived with both technologies. I have both in my home for about a year now. To me if you haven't lived with one or the other you shouldn't talk about the "problems" associated with the one you have not lived with. No matter how much "research" one has done.

post #208 of 367 Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

How are you going to get rid of uneven phosphor aging by running 'white wash' screen?

LCD's DO NOT burn in. They may get image retention which ALWAYS can be removed. Hence why its called retention and NOT burn in.

Even the pics some posts back by the plasma guru were fixed by a method given by the manufacturer.

Settings
60EX500

60ex500 new version

post #209 of 367 Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

And white washing may not even be necessary. Some feel that modern plasmas are about as resistant to true burn-in as are CRT's. Remember that CRT's were also subject to burn-in and nobody made much of an issue out of that!
post #210 of 367 Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I doubt that uneven phosphor aging will be any more of an issue with plasmas than it was with CRT's. Note that CRT's had the same phosphor aging.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page