Ikea "Dioder" backlight / bias lighting photos, review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a fluorescent backlight behind my DLP that I really liked and was super cheap... Like $9 for the fixture and $6 for the bulb (6500k, 92 CRI, from Wal Mart no less!)... But unfortunately it wouldn't fit behind my new plasma when I wall mounted it.

So I went over to the brand new Ikea to check out the "Dioder" LED strips I've heard about. After seeing them used as backlights in several displays I picked up two packages and got to work... For those that haven't seen them, there are a couple of ways to use them. The come with 4 LED strips, 4 long leads that can power a single strip, and some flexible corner pieces about 2" long that connect the strips together. You can also plug the strips into each other for a straight, continuous line of light.

When I put them together, I decided to try to run all of the strips (all 8 from both packages) through one power source. I strung them together and it worked fine!

So I did some measuring and they would JUST fit my 50" plasma. I've got the power supply plugged into the switched plug on my receiver... Two strips vertically on the left side plugged into each other, then a corner piece, then 4 plugged into each other along the top edge, then a corner piece, then two strips on the right side. I didn't put any across the bottom because A) I wasn't going so spend another $50, and B) my center speaker is down there and you wouldn't see much of the light anyway...

The result is just was I was looking for. Nice soft light behind the edges of the tv... Looks great in a dark room. I'm sure they're not the 100% precisely correct color temp and I have no idea what the CRI is, but it looks nice, and makes the tv look great when the lights are off.

Some tips...

-These are not cheap. The 2 sets I used were $100 all together... Ask for them for your birthday/Christmas.

-The light is fairly directional... I had them mounted on the flat part of the tv pointing directly at the wall, and it didn't scatter very much at all. I ended up putting them on the angled part of the tv so they're pointing out at an angle toward the wall.

-The leads that go from the power supply to the strips are fairly long (8 ft, I believe), so there's a good bit of flexibility there...

-Be prepared for the LED's to be slightly different colors... Two of the strips I got were slightly cooler than the others. It's not glaring, but if you look closely you can tell... Not a huge deal for me seeing as how they're lighting up a green wall...

Anyway... All said I'm happy with the results, but they're not perfect. I'd like to see more flexibility with the connectors (i.e. longer "bridge" or "corner" pieces), and the colors aren't perfect, but I couldn't find another product that would provide backlighting in such a tight space.

Verdict: Semi-recommended.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Liked: 10
looks really nice! I've been trying to find an economical solution for backlighting for my plasma, this looks pretty close to exactly what i need. What was the first option you got from wally world though? I'm interested in that just because the color temp is much closer to correct.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post

looks really nice! I've been trying to find an economical solution for backlighting for my plasma, this looks pretty close to exactly what i need. What was the first option you got from wally world though? I'm interested in that just because the color temp is much closer to correct.

The fixture I got from Wal Mart was your basic under-the-cabinet fluorescent fixture. I found it back near the light bulbs... I think mine was 13". It came with a 2700k bulb but they had the 92 CRI bulbs next to it. Total outlay of about $15. It looked sort of like this one on Amazon, but it was cheaper... http://www.amazon.com/Good-Earth-Lig...680261&sr=8-25

I just set it down behind the TV and faced the bulb toward the wall. It looked great.

By the time I figured out the fixture was too thick to fit behind the tv, I had already mounted it with the slim mount and I had no intention of taking it down again, heh.

If you have a full motion mount or at least one that holds the tv further out from the wall, the fluorescent deal might work for you. Definitely worth a shot. It'd save you 85 bucks, heh.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

I had a fluorescent backlight behind my DLP that I really liked and was super cheap... Like $9 for the fixture and $6 for the bulb (6500k, 92 CRI, from Wal Mart no less!)... But unfortunately it wouldn't fit behind my new plasma when I wall mounted it.

So I went over to the brand new Ikea to check out the "Dioder" LED strips I've heard about. After seeing them used as backlights in several displays I picked up two packages and got to work... For those that haven't seen them, there are a couple of ways to use them. The come with 4 LED strips, 4 long leads that can power a single strip, and some flexible corner pieces about 2" long that connect the strips together. You can also plug the strips into each other for a straight, continuous line of light.

When I put them together, I decided to try to run all of the strips (all 8 from both packages) through one power source. I strung them together and it worked fine!

So I did some measuring and they would JUST fit my 50" plasma. I've got the power supply plugged into the switched plug on my receiver... Two strips vertically on the left side plugged into each other, then a corner piece, then 4 plugged into each other along the top edge, then a corner piece, then two strips on the right side. I didn't put any across the bottom because A) I wasn't going so spend another $50, and B) my center speaker is down there and you wouldn't see much of the light anyway...

The result is just was I was looking for. Nice soft light behind the edges of the tv... Looks great in a dark room. I'm sure they're not the 100% precisely correct color temp and I have no idea what the CRI is, but it looks nice, and makes the tv look great when the lights are off. [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

Some tips...

-These are not cheap. The 2 sets I used were $100 all together... Ask for them for your birthday/Christmas.

-The light is fairly directional... I had them mounted on the flat part of the tv pointing directly at the wall, and it didn't scatter very much at all. I ended up putting them on the angled part of the tv so they're pointing out at an angle toward the wall.

-The leads that go from the power supply to the strips are fairly long (8 ft, I believe), so there's a good bit of flexibility there...

-Be prepared for the LED's to be slightly different colors... Two of the strips I got were slightly cooler than the others. It's not glaring, but if you look closely you can tell... Not a huge deal for me seeing as how they're lighting up a green wall...

Anyway... All said I'm happy with the results, but they're not perfect. I'd like to see more flexibility with the connectors (i.e. longer "bridge" or "corner" pieces), and the colors aren't perfect, but I couldn't find another product that would provide backlighting in such a tight space.

Verdict: Semi-recommended.

Thanks for the nice review and thanks also for the tips.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Looks nice, but the price is crazy. Also, is the color temp correct? You could just try the Ideal-Lume panel lights which will fit behind the panel even when mounted.

$89.95 for accurate bias lighting.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Looks nice, but the price is crazy. Also, is the color temp correct? You could just try the Ideal-Lume panel lights which will fit behind the panel even when mounted.

$89.95 for accurate bias lighting.

As I stated above, I'm not sure what the color temp is and I'm not really worried about it. I like the effect.

And talk about crazy pricing... That Ideal-Lume thing is pretty crazily priced as well. Reading that copy in the panel white paper you'd think those lamps with "rare phosphors" are super crazy expensive...when in reality you can get lamps with a 92 CRI at Wal Mart for under $10.

If I had room for a 2-inch thick fluorescent fixture behind my tv, I would have used it. But I didn't. Hence the LED's.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

As I stated above, I'm not sure what the color temp is and I'm not really worried about it. I like the effect.

And talk about crazy pricing... That Ideal-Lume thing is pretty crazily priced as well. Reading that copy in the panel white paper you'd think those lamps with "rare phosphors" are super crazy expensive...when in reality you can get lamps with a 92 CRI at Wal Mart for under $10.

If I had room for a 2-inch thick fluorescent fixture behind my tv, I would have used it. But I didn't. Hence the LED's.

If you only want them for the effect and not accuracy then that is fine. I recommend them because they serve a real purpose and accuracy is important to me.

When you consider the backing and support behind the Ideal-Lume...and the entire product...it's actually a better buy. You get two fixtures, bulbs, diffusers, and mounting kits.

There is more than enough room to install these behind any mounted panel. 1 3/4" is all that is needed.

I'm glad your solution worked for you however.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

okay...

what's the point of bias lighting if the color of the light isn't accurate to 6500K ?

how can bias lighting be accurate against a wall given the wall color isn't 6500K ?

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #9 of 14 Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I had the same thought about wall color. I just had my Sammy plasma calibrated by Chad B. and we discussed bias lighting but my plasma will be mounted on a reddish brick wall, not sure is i really need to worry about the correct color temp...
post #10 of 14 Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

okay...

what's the point of bias lighting if the color of the light isn't accurate to 6500K ?

how can bias lighting be accurate against a wall given the wall color isn't 6500K ?

TVbc

I find it more comfortable to watch movies in a dark room with the bias light. Especially movies that transition from very dark screens to very bright ones. Your eyes aren't blown away by the sudden brightness since the bias lighting is constantly there.

Plus, it looks cool.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok everyone don't laugh but I'm thinking of trying this with led(blue) night lights. I haven't played around with it yet and not sure if they would be bright enough but the idea of them coming automatically when the lights go out and the fact that they would do double duty as night lights would when the tv is not in use be pretty cool.
Not to mention I'm uber cheap and this would be the cheapest way I can think of get bias lighting.

Kagolu
post #12 of 14 Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, I bought this today for my PN42B450, it just sits on a normal stand

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...H-I&lpage=none

I used some zip ties to attach it up near the top of the panel and it looks pretty good in a dark room, I guess the color of the light and the wall color gives off an orange-ish glow, pretty cool. I definitely like the effect.

My only concern is it seems to get a little warm, not sure how this will affect the panel.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
These are pretty yellow I wanted to try them. Not great for backlighting a tv and for $30 you can buy better things. Like a westinghouse T8 daylight bulb. With a CRI of 94 http://www.elightbulbs.com/Westinghouse-36515-F15T8-FS-Straight-T8-Fluorescent-Tube
post #14 of 14 Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Liked: 12
If you look over at this thread you will see what I used from Amazon.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430011/bias-lighting-for-tv-mounted-in-alcove#post_22449310
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General