60 HZ Vs. 120 HZ? What's the Real Answer?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I researched for a few hours on other forums and websites.

There are some who say the 120HZ is only noticable during panning in film.

My dillema is the following, to buy either:

$1,176.99
Sony BRAVIA / 46" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
Model: KDL-46V4100

OR

Sale: $1,399.99
Sony BRAVIA / 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV
Model: KDL-46V5100

So for $223 more, is the 120 HZ worth it?

I will use the TV for: XBOX 360, and blu ray movies that are action-packed (i.e matrix, spiderman, etc.).

As well I had one other question as I am new to whole HD TV concept:

(1) I heard Standard Picture is grainy on HD TVs, so if my cable TV provider is regular (not HD), and I use a dvd player with this Sony HD TV, playing DVD movies, will I see things extremely grainy?
Basically I have to have blu ray and order HD TV service or else I get grainier, worse TV quality picture for standard TV than I had with my old CRT Toshiba TV? It makes me think that the TV isnt really $1200 in that sense or $1400 but $1500 and $1700 because of the necessity of the blu ray player, not to mention the extra cost of HD programming rather than standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

I bought my first HDTV in January, and I shared some of your concerns as well. My first set was a Sharp 52" 120Hz set... I exchanged it for a Sony 52W4100... last year's version of the V5100 series. The Sharp was a good set, but I find the Sony to be slightly better. And the Sony has a feature called Motion Enhancer that adds a "pop" to the picture. Some describe it as a 3D or Soap Opera effect. Some hate this feature, but just as many (maybe more) like it. I bought the W4100 over the V4100 simply to have the 120Hz just in case it would be needed a year or two or three from now.. future-proofing.

Since then I've also picked up a Samsung 40B550, a 1080p 60hz set, and I do not see a difference the Hz makes. 120Hz is supposed to reduce the blur that occurs in fast action scenes and sports, but I've yet to notice any blur in either set.

You will be disappointed in how poorly standard def is displayed, but you do not need HD cable or satellite... you willl likely receive the major networks in HD even with Basic or Expanded Basic cable (like I do). HD screens especially emphsizes the flaws in SD programs. You can pay $7 for an HD box, or receive additional HD programming for more $$$, but it is certainly not necessary for you to enjoy your new TV. The best cure for SDTV is distance... the farther from the screen you are... the better the picture looks.

Standard DVDs will look great, a big step up, even if only connecting via coax cable or composite. And a DVD upconvert player ($45-$70) will improve that experience even more. Bluray is not necessary. Sure the picture is awesome on Bluray, but when I play DVD on my upconvert player, viewing from 10ft, I cannot tell difference between that and Bluray.

Looks like you're buying from BestBuy (prices match); 30 return policy with no restocking fees. Pickup a Bluray player and/or an upconvert player, rent a BD movie and watch some of your DVDs to see how they compare... then decide whether you need Bluray. If not, simply return the player. Or ask them to hook up a DVD player to the screen you're buying, or one similar, and see how the picture quality looks in the store.

They will try to sell you calibration... say no thank you. They will try to sell you a Comcast, DirectTV or other HD package... just say not yet. They will try to sell you a warranty... most reviewers recommend you don't buy one... you decide what gives you peace of mind. They will try to sell you expensive HDMI cable(s)... just say no thank you, and head to Walmart for a cable... or order now from monoprice.com. Cheap cables work just as well as the most expensive.

Good luck... enjoy your shopping... and remember, you have that return policy... do not be afraid to use it.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #3 of 3 Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have a Monster HDMI cable, I got it for 50% off but it was around $70 so I guess it must be good.

And I heard the auto-dimming features on these Sony TV's has been fixed because on sony.com apparently you can download a firmware update to a usb stick and stick it in ur TV and its fixed.

So the 120HZ you say makes barely any difference, the reason I'm wondering is beacause if I'm gonna buy a TV, and we all know TVs are not computers/cellphones, they last forever, then I'd want a refresh rate that perhaps would stay "useful/average/" for teh coming years.

I have a toshiba CRT flat screen tv that hasnt changed at all since 2000, I had a sony from 1987 CRT TV that finally broke down in 2000, TVs in my experience generally last long. But LCDs are new, they are fragile, who knows?

More importantly I don't get peoples' complaints about "standard quality" being "Grainy and poor" on these HD TVs. Who cares? Switch your TV back to HD and enjoy, why use SD at all?

Your idea about renting a blu ray movie and buying the player for the 30 day return policy really is a fantastic idea, thank you very much for your detailed, valuable input, I appreciate it very much!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page