sharp lcd lc32sb24u firmware update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have looked everywhere for the firmware for the sharp lc32sb24u. Sharp doesn't list it. Please some help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 AM

I've also had some problems with my recently acquired LC-32SB24U and thought a firmware update might help. Current firmware is U0801241.

But the Sharp web site has no info on this model.

LC-32SB24U is not in any of the Sharp site Customer Support drop-down lists. Does every model become a bastard step-child the moment the last one comes off the assembly line??
post #3 of 28 Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM

I will post the useful link after three posts because of the URL rules.
post #4 of 28 Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

I will post the link after one more post.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Just one more post and I should be able to post the link.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...Downloads.aspx

Don't try and search by specific model number. Instead use the drop-down menu on the right side of the page. Go to LCD TVs in the top menu and Firmware in the bottom menu. The update should be on the second page of results.

I downloaded it and was able to install it on my LC-32SB23U without incident.

Good luck!
post #7 of 28 Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 PM

hmm the update won't apply for me. The screen goes dark, turns on in about ten seconds and the set continues as though nothing happened. No update progress bar or anything.

edit: Nevermind. Tried a different flash drive and it's working now.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkid514 View Post

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...Downloads.aspx

Don't try and search by specific model number. Instead use the drop-down menu on the right side of the page. Go to LCD TVs in the top menu and Firmware in the bottom menu. The update should be on the second page of results.

I downloaded it and was able to install it on my LC-32SB23U without incident.

Good luck!

I just found this post and tried it...and it worked great! Thanks.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 PM
WGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang023 View Post

hmm the update won't apply for me. The screen goes dark, turns on in about ten seconds and the set continues as though nothing happened. No update progress bar or anything.

edit: Nevermind. Tried a different flash drive and it's working now.

I had same problem. Would not update using a 2, a 4, or a 8GB flash drive. Drives were from 2 different manufacturers. Found a 5-year old 32MB drive and it worked with that.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 PM

I have also been looking for ages for a firmware update for my LC32SB23U. I have noticed the 24U firmware on Sharp's website. Does this firmware for sure work on the 23U? As others have noted, the only apparent difference between the two is the color of the bezel over the speakers. Would really hate to brick my first and only HD tv because of wrong firmware. I have emailed sharp about this also, but don't expect a answer for at least a few days. If someone could confirm that it for sure works on the 23U model I will happily install the update. Provided I have a drive the tv will recognize and install from.
post #11 of 28 Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 AM

Well too bad nobody had truly tested this firmware on the Sharp LC32SB23U. I just tried to update with the firmware suggested, and guess what? I have a useless BRICK! Got a bunch of colored lines and now the tv doesn't turn on at all! Just leaves the power light flashing, and the OPC light occasionally blinks. Other than that the tv doesn't work at all now! OMG! The firmware was the same as the firmware listed for the other models listed in my manual, I thought, foolishly, that there was no way this would fail! Especially after the amount of hours I've spent searching for the firmware and compatibility.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 AM

Nevermind, scratch what I said. My tv's firmware never updated at all. But trying to do so did cause me a huge problem by causing my tv to stop functioning. I then noticed the power and OPC light would blink simlutaneously, and the power light would blink twice after that. So I searched that and found others with the same problem. I tried there suggestions of unplugging the tv, which didn't work for me. And pressing buttons, namely, the input button on the tv itself. After a few tries, my tv turned on to my surprise! Check the firmware, and find it didn't update. Others with the same issue, point to a weak power supply in the tv. I had always wondered why the tv would occasionally turn off and back on. Or why the picture would stay black or sound would disappear when changing from digital to analog channels. Never bothered me, never happened much, once every few months or so it would turn of an back on, or a channel would hang(no sound). I did notice the lights in the house flickered at the same time I tried to update, guess that was all the tv needed to freak out. Having a weak power supply and all. My tv still wouldn't accept this update though. So I would reconsider if you're thinking about updating the LC32SB23U with the 24U firmware.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGW View Post

I had same problem. Would not update using a 2, a 4, or a 8GB flash drive. Drives were from 2 different manufacturers. Found a 5-year old 32MB drive and it worked with that.

It's because the TV's updating software uses 'fat' and so is your 32MB flash drive's file system. Anything above 100MB are 'fat32' with most cases. You could use your 2,4,8,16+ Gigs by formatting the flash drive to 'fat' format. Go to my computer, (Note: Make sure you save anything you have on your flash drive to your desktop because formatting it will loose everything) right click on the flash drive and choose 'fat' instead of 'fat32' there, and click on start.

See attached image.

Now your flash drive is ready to go!

Hope this was helpful. I updated my LC-32SB24U and it was successful.
LL
post #14 of 28 Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Anyone know what changes are made from one firmware version to the next (ie a changelog)? I'm loath to upgrade the firmware without knowing what gets fixed.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Hello all!

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm wondering if anyone knows the current FW revision for the LC-32SB24U? After bricking my Sharp LCD TV via a firmware update two weeks ago, my local shop tech fixed it via a new main board, and recommended that I don't attempt the update again - unless something's specifically broken... So I asked him if the latest FW was on the new board he installed, and he said he had no clue.

Looking online, I do see the D44UA113.UVP file available for download from Sharp's website, but I couldn't find anything stating which exact firmware revision is contained in that UVP file. Does anyone know the current/latest FW for this TV? I'm hoping it's on the latest - although rest assured I won't be attempting the FW update again...

The FW update says it improves the signal quality of HDMI and various 720p/1080i connections. It seemed like a good FW update to apply.. which is why I had done it to begin with.

Anyway, please let me know!

-B
post #16 of 28 Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 PM

i have the same problem as smokin101 can some one plz help
post #17 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM

I got mine fixed, all.. had to drop it off at the my local Sharp-authorized AV repair center. They ended up installing a new main board.

All things considered, I was really shocked (and angry) that my TV went dead because of attempting a firmware update that's clearly documented in the manual, in a procedure in which Sharp makes no mention that the procedure is done at your own risk!

Anyway, I was about 8 months out-of-warranty, but I "found" my receipt with the dates showing that it was actually still in warranty. So Sharp was kind enough to fix it for me.

Problem solved!
post #18 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 AM

I too updated the firmware on my LC32sb23u and now the Power and OPC light blinks.. I call numerous repaire shops and the outcome was not pretty .. I messed around with it myself and was able to make it work again.. shoot me an email and I will try and help you get yours going ..

rbauer642@ctc.net
post #19 of 28 Old 12-30-2010, 03:46 PM

I downloaded it and was able to install it on my LC-32SB23U without incident. I used fatkid514 instructions to find a firmware and dkslayer about smaller (in my case - 512MB) flash memory stick with FAT format. When I just followed instructions and waited a bit, it worked perfectly. Thank you!

Good luck!
post #20 of 28 Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM

For those of you who think that they bricked their TVs, just put a flash drive into the USB port. I thought I had bricked mine too. Then on a hunch, I put my flash drive back into the USB port and the TV started working perfectly again. I re-partitioned my 8GB flash drive to 32MB using FAT just like dkslayer suggested. Then, I was able to successfully upgraded my TV, and I no longer need to leave the flash drive in the TV to keep it working.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM

I have looked everywhere for firmware for sharp lc-32234u. Cannot locate it. Even went to firmware on sharp site. Does not list television. Can any one give me guide me somewhere and or help.....

Thank you
post #22 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM

I had a similar issue with my Sharp TV. I found that the problem had two symptoms and subsequently found solutions by scouring the Internet.

Symptom #1...after attempted update, using 8g USB stick, the TV went dark and never came back on. The blue and green lights flashed on the front panel.

Solution...unplug USB and unplug TV from outlet. Hold down BOTH the Channel down and Volume up buttons on the side of the TV while plugging in the power cord. You will hear a click and the blue power light comes back. Release the buttons and wait for TV to come back on. If it doesn't, turn off the power via the power button and then turn back on. If that doesn't work, repeat the Channel down/Volume up procedure as mentioned above.

Symptom #2...when trying to update, either the TV doesn't recognize the software on the memory stick OR the process starts and never completes.

Solution...your stick MUST be formatted to FAT (not FAT32 or NTFS). It is also recommended you try to use 8g or smaller drive.

Once I got my TV back on and formatted to FAT, update went well and all is fine.

This process was quite scary and frustrating. It would have been very simple to have a brief note in the OWNER'S MANUAL about FAT formatting. It could have save a lot of time for a lot of people.
post #23 of 28 Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM

I just updated my firmware but now the TV no longer tunes in digital channels! I tried running a channel scan, resetting the tv, typing in channels 2.1, 4.1, etc... but nothing works. Anyone know to do a hard reset or some other fix to get digital channels back? Thanks
post #24 of 28 Old 11-18-2012, 12:04 PM

I updated the firmware successfully about 3 weeks ago. Immediately following my Blu-ray Discs stopped displaying on my lc32sb24u tv. Audio is outputting to my receiver and surround sound and Dvd's work just fine. I tried setting my Blu-ray player to output only in 720p and played with several other settings and still nothing. As soon as I try to load a Blu-ray Disc the screen goes black on that input and even when I remove the disc from the player I can't see anything until I power it off and back on and the tv does not see a Blu-ray signal coming from it. I have reached out to Sharp several times via phone and email and it is still "under investigation." They have always tried to tell me it is my player but it works fine on other TV's and even on this one UNTIL I updated the firmware. Wish I knew how to revert to old firmware. Sharp says there is no way to do so. Anyone got any solutions?
post #25 of 28 Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks, that power tip just saved me from embarrassing myself to my husband.
I tried to do it by turning off the surge protector, but it didn't work until i actually unplugged the tv.
I'm sure formatting the usb drive will do the trick, but now that others say they had issues after the upgrade, i think i'll leave well enough alone.
post #26 of 28 Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM

FYI I was able to reformat and partition a 4 GB flash drive as FAT and with a partition of 512MB using EaseUS Partition Master. (Free Download)

When I used the flash drive formatted as above with the Firmware copied to it the firmware upgrade worked on my LC-32SB23U

I hope this helps anyone else out there with the same issue.

post #27 of 28 Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM

I try to update my sharp Tv and I have the problem of black screen and power & opc blinking...

I just format my USB drive in Fat and update was successfully...

Sorry for my bad English
post #28 of 28 Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 0
Sharp no longer lists TVs on their product download page. I tried updating the firmware via wireless and, like all Sharp TVs for the past 5 years, it stops at 67% and you have to unplug the TV to get it to stop. Then each time you start the TV it wants you to continue. I have called Sharp tech support and after a Tech put me on hold for ten minutes they hung up on me. I'm ready to drag the TV back to Best Buy and get myself a Samsung TV. How can a company have a known technical problem with their product and not do anything about it for five years?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page