Standout Designs picture thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #331 of 354 Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vinyl?

I realize this is a pretty old thread now, but hoping somebody can answer and maybe share a photo.

Has anybody used the center speaker slot to hold a record player? Does that work reasonably well?

I've got a big center (Dynaudio Contour SCX) that would require an 82" to fit inside, but I don't have enough wall space for an 82" and speakers on the side. I was thinking about putting the center on top of the unit (TV is wall-mounted) and using the speaker slot for record player.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 354 Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhoop View Post
Has anybody used the center speaker slot to hold a record player? Does that work reasonably well?
I haven't, but if my experience with undamped vibration in that slot with my center speaker is any indication, I probably wouldn't want to put any component in there that was at all sensitive to vibration
post #333 of 354 Old 01-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Actually, that brings up a question. I'm a happy Standout Designs owner. Haven 72"

I'm thinking about adding a phono, and have no idea where to put it. (I have a 65" TV atop the Haven, and my left and right drawers/spaces are full).

Thanks for any advice you can lend!
post #334 of 354 Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Actually, that brings up a question. I'm a happy Standout Designs owner. Haven 72"

I'm thinking about adding a phono, and have no idea where to put it. (I have a 65" TV atop the Haven, and my left and right drawers/spaces are full).
I have a Sanus NFAV230 natural cherry A/V rack right next to my Standout for that
post #335 of 354 Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I just got my Cherry Majestic yesterday and am simply amazed with the fit and finish of this furniture. Absolutely amazing piece of gear! In order to get everything fit into my Yamaha RXV-1800 I did have to cram quite a bit of cable back there and basically wedge the back in, but it did all fit, and the look compared to the cheap open body stand I had before is simply night and day.

My wife spent many months looking at AV furniture. It is my opinion that 99% of the stuff out there is either cheaply built garbage designed to appeal to the AV crowd (many of the Chinese made Salamander stands fit into this category) or it is nice furniture that was built by someone who puts zero audio/video features into the product.

The Standout was the only product I found that married a high quality furniture product with the kind of audio video features that I was looking for.

I love it!

Now I just need to ditch the four+ year old Sony SXRD TV and get the 65" Plasma I've been drooling over.

Attachment 193524
Attachment 193525

I thought it might be kind of fun for people to be able to see how the natural cherry ages and darkens over time. While the lighting in the photos is different you will see just how dramatic the change in the cherry is after 5.5 years. It looks much nicer now!

post #336 of 354 Old 05-25-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Standout Designs picture thread

Quote:
I thought it might be kind of fun for people to be able to see how the natural cherry ages and darkens over time. While the lighting in the photos is different you will see just how dramatic the change in the cherry is after 5.5 years. It looks much nicer now!

Man that looks great, quite a difference.

I've been wanting one of their stands (either a 72" or 82" haven) for a long time, but didn't want to spend that much.
My dad's had a bunch of raw walnut boards in his basement for the last 15yrs from a couple of trees taken down during the construction of an addition. My buddy hooked me up with a cabinet maker friend he worked with. I was just trying to get the boards cut down, joined and planed so I could use it for the top, sides, drawer front and door frames. The rest I was going to make with plywood and assemble and finish it all myself. I told him I had a budget of around $1k.
He crunched some numbers and said he'd build the whole thing for $1200! I would just have to sand and finish it. I said hell yes! He also said he didn't know if he'd be able to let it go without a finish on it and that for enough beer he may just do it himself. Fine with me
He's doing it all in his spare time so it'll likely take a few months, but for that price I'm fine with it.
It'll be based on the 82" haven, but the center channel compartment will be 12" high to accommodate more future options.
I'm really excited to have it done and will be sure to post pics once it's in. Here's a couple of pics of the raw wood, some trimmed and how it barely fit in my wife's van

post #337 of 354 Old 05-25-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Eh, honestly I don't think $1200 is that great of a deal considering you can get the "real deal" for about twice that, have it professionally sanded and finished and get all of the AV features including things like high quality cooling fans with thermal sensors, etc.

But to each his own, good luck with the project!
post #338 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Eh, honestly I don't think $1200 is that great of a deal considering you can get the "real deal" for about twice that, have it professionally sanded and finished and get all of the AV features including things like high quality cooling fans with thermal sensors, etc.

But to each his own, good luck with the project!
Twice that???? Try 3 times that! 82" Haven EX in natural walnut is $3329.10, add in 2 of their cooling fans and add another $314.10 for a grand total of $3643.20. Professionally sanded???? You dont think a cabinet maker knows how to sand???? Oh and if you go to the cooler guys you can get 2 pairs of 120mm fans with THERMAL SENSORS for $129.90 with shipping adding, to my zip, $13.37. So for less than one of Standouts fans you can get a pair shipped to your door. http://www.coolerguys.com/840556095279.html And if ambesolman wants he can go to his local glass shop and get some shelves ordered in 1/4" tempered glass with penciled edges and a vent hole in the center unlike standout which doesnt even offer glass shelves for the Haven! He can even go with solid glass doors with nice hardware if he wants. Ambesol man I am a glazier by trade if you want some info on ordering glass let me know and I will help you out.
ambesolman likes this.
post #339 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobert1967 View Post
Twice that???? Try 3 times that! 82" Haven EX in natural walnut is $3329.10, add in 2 of their cooling fans and add another $314.10 for a grand total of $3643.20. Professionally sanded???? You dont think a cabinet maker knows how to sand???? Oh and if you go to the cooler guys you can get 2 pairs of 120mm fans with THERMAL SENSORS for $129.90 with shipping adding, to my zip, $13.37. So for less than one of Standouts fans you can get a pair shipped to your door. http://www.coolerguys.com/840556095279.html And if ambesolman wants he can go to his local glass shop and get some shelves ordered in 1/4" tempered glass with penciled edges and a vent hole in the center unlike standout which doesnt even offer glass shelves for the Haven! He can even go with solid glass doors with nice hardware if he wants. Ambesol man I am a glazier by trade if you want some info on ordering glass let me know and I will help you out.
You can get an EX82 in black for $2400 with the current promo code they are running. Smaller stands (70") are similar prices but in nicer finishes.

The stand I show a picture of above was about $2K shipped in cherry. It included two exhaust fans, they were standard at the time and I was not aware they were now optional.

I'm not going to debate that you can do something for less, I'm going to point out that high end AV furniture is all that Standout Designs does and they build some really good products. For me, personally, getting something built by a cabinet maker who does not specialize in AV furniture, then needing to sand the piece, stain the piece, seal the piece, add a cooling solution, etc, is just not worth it.

TO ME.

You are going down the road of "standout designs are a ripoff" which is not true. I've been around for awhile and had a lot of different AV furniture in several different homes. Standout are hands down the best product out there, backed by an amazing company who will take care of you forever, and worth every penny that they charge.
post #340 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

@jmpage2
My friend has a 72" haven in the same finish as yours. Id never heard of SD until he showed me his. It's gorgeous and agree the craftsmanship is outstanding which is the whole reason I wanted to try and copy it.
This all started because we have a son that just turned 1 and likes touching everything, as babies do. He's learned avoid the audio equipment but I just wanted a new console, remove the temptation and make it safer. We were expecting a better tax return and planned on just buying one but it sucked so I decided to go this route.
The builder does high end cabinets and entertainment centers. I took him all the pics on SD's website to show him what I wanted with minor changes. After seeing pics of things he's built I have no doubt it'll turn out nice, especially since he's going to finish it too. As I said, if money hadn't been the issue of have just bought from SD.
The walnut came from our family property and I thought it'd be cool to use it for this. Plus it got it out of my dad's basement which makes him happy. The floor in the addition he built was the wood from the house my grandfather grew up in. We're kind of a sentimental family about our wood
@JRobert1967
I'm planning on using those exact fans once I get it home. I'll keep the shelves in mind, thanks for the offer!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #341 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@ ambesolman
Quote:
My friend has a 72" haven in the same finish as yours. Id never heard of SD until he showed me his. It's gorgeous and agree the craftsmanship is outstanding which is the whole reason I wanted to try and copy it.
This all started because we have a son that just turned 1 and likes touching everything, as babies do. He's learned avoid the audio equipment but I just wanted a new console, remove the temptation and make it safer. We were expecting a better tax return and planned on just buying one but it sucked so I decided to go this route.
The builder does high end cabinets and entertainment centers. I took him all the pics on SD's website to show him what I wanted with minor changes. After seeing pics of things he's built I have no doubt it'll turn out nice, especially since he's going to finish it too. As I said, if money hadn't been the issue of have just bought from SD.
The walnut came from our family property and I thought it'd be cool to use it for this. Plus it got it out of my dad's basement which makes him happy. The floor in the addition he built was the wood from the house my grandfather grew up in. We're kind of a sentimental family about our wood
I totally understand everything you say (I have a 20 month old son myself but fortunately he leaves dad's stuff alone) and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so I doubt anyone holds any ill will. Having a piece of furniture made from lumber from your family property is definitely something unique that you can't get in anything that is manufactured elsewhere.

A few additional things you might not have already thought of with your fabricator;

The Standout Designs pieces have quick attach backs (made from full thickness pieces) with inset mounts on the furniture and large knurled screws to make removing and attaching the various back parts very quick and painless.

Additionally, they use rubber grommets for cable transfer between compartments, I imagine this is not only to make it look classier than just having a hole drilled through but also probably assists in ventilation flow as each compartment has slotted pull throughs at the bottom front base and exhaust at the upper back.

Also they use micro castors integrated into the footers that give a real professional look. The furniture looks like it is sitting on nice metal footers but is effortless to move around.

I would check into what kind of fans they include. I've never owned electronics fans that have run for 5+ years and still been whisper quiet with no need for replacement or even cleaning. I imagine that whatever fans they are using have pretty good bearings and they use dedicated fan controllers with thermal leads...

Good luck with your project, might be worth you posting it into a new thread when you get it finished later this year.
ambesolman likes this.
post #342 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@ ambesolman

I totally understand everything you say (I have a 20 month old son myself but fortunately he leaves dad's stuff alone) and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so I doubt anyone holds any ill will. Having a piece of furniture made from lumber from your family property is definitely something unique that you can't get in anything that is manufactured elsewhere.

A few additional things you might not have already thought of with your fabricator;

The Standout Designs pieces have quick attach backs (made from full thickness pieces) with inset mounts on the furniture and large knurled screws to make removing and attaching the various back parts very quick and painless.

Additionally, they use rubber grommets for cable transfer between compartments, I imagine this is not only to make it look classier than just having a hole drilled through but also probably assists in ventilation flow as each compartment has slotted pull throughs at the bottom front base and exhaust at the upper back.

Also they use micro castors integrated into the footers that give a real professional look. The furniture looks like it is sitting on nice metal footers but is effortless to move around.

I would check into what kind of fans they include. I've never owned electronics fans that have run for 5+ years and still been whisper quiet with no need for replacement or even cleaning. I imagine that whatever fans they are using have pretty good bearings and they use dedicated fan controllers with thermal leads...

Good luck with your project, might be worth you posting it into a new thread when you get it finished later this year.

Thanks, I'll likely post it in the waf thread or something.

You make some great points, all of which are some of SD's best features. I made sure that all those were must haves. Wheels, ventilation, wire holes (thanks for reminding me that I need to ask him about grommets), and removable back panels were especially reiterated. He asked why not a single back panel and I explained that if I have a ported center, that one would need to be removed along with the ease of just removing a small panel for access vs one that's 80" long.
I need to ask him about fans, but I'll likely just go with the coolerguys fans since they seem good and are fairly inexpensive.
post #343 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Natural walnut for $1200 is a steal.
post #344 of 354 Old 05-26-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukronos View Post
Natural walnut for $1200 is a steal.

I thought so too. The best part is that after using my measly tax return for most of it, I'll only be about $400-500 out of pocket
post #345 of 354 Old 05-27-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here's my Standout Designs knockoff made from soft maple, with 60" Kuro. It's 80" wide, so I'm waiting for 77" OLEDs to be affordable. Total cost < $500. The back is almost completely open, so no heat issues. Amateur woodworkers don't do as good a job as professional cabinet makers, but we get a priceless satisfaction out of a handmade project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	1463001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	1463009  
post #346 of 354 Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice!

post #347 of 354 Old 06-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Over the Memorial Day weekend, they were running a special sale. So, I ordered the Haven EX 82-inch Solid Wood TV Stand / TV Console with Wide Speaker Shelf and Media Drawers - Espresso on Cherry, along with the dual fan kit, Center grill set and door grill set. That thing has everything I want and need in a media center.

Last edited by lokilarry; 07-14-2016 at 12:20 PM.
post #348 of 354 Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 157
How often does Standout Designs have sales? I am looking to pickup a 72 inch wide tv stand that has big opening for center channel speakers...

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x 4 & Martin Logan Descent I x 2
2 Channel Only - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21 & Martin Logan Depth
Speakers upgrade path : RS1 -> IQ3 -> GS10 -> LS50 -> Sierra-2 -> 805D2 -> Sierra Tower -> ???
post #349 of 354 Old 06-09-2016, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
How often does Standout Designs have sales? I am looking to pickup a 72 inch wide tv stand that has big opening for center channel speakers...
They should be running a Fathers Day sale. That's when I got mine a few years ago. Awesome piece of furniture.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #350 of 354 Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My Energy CC-10 center channel speaker has dual rear ports. Wondering how will the center channel speaker enclosure of the 82" Haven EX will influence/affect the sound quality output of my speaker (whether or not the rear ports are plugged).

The speaker dimensions are 7.1" high, 19.7" wide and 9.9" deep and weighs 17.4 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	erh_HT_137.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1497153  

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #351 of 354 Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

@erhurd
According to the website, the panel on the back of the center shelf should ideally be off for rear ported and on for sealed. It'll fit no problem, you can try it both ways and see what sounds better to you. Off would probably sound better and be less "boxy" sounding.

post #352 of 354 Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Yes. All of the back panels easily come off, and you can leave them off if you desire. Just received my media center on Tuesday. I have a Klipsch RP440C center speaker which also has ports out the back. I tried it with the back off and on and didn't notice any difference in sound. I'll post a picture of my setup soon. I am really impressed by the quality of the build and it meets with my wife's approval.
post #353 of 354 Old 06-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
Over the Memorial Day weekend, they were running a special sale. So, I ordered the Haven EX 82-inch Solid Wood TV Stand / TV Console with Wide Speaker Shelf and Media Drawers - Espresso on Cherry, along with the dual fan kit, Center grill set and door grill set. That thing has everything I want and need in a media center.
Here is what mine looks like with a 70" Sharp tv on top. The center speaker is discretely located behind the acoustically transparent center grill cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Standout Designs Wide Media Center.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1502185  
stevew24963 likes this.

Last edited by lokilarry; 07-14-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #354 of 354 Old 07-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just got the last piece of my puzzle today. My Standout Entertainment Center

A LG OLED65G6 sitting between 2 Klipschorns on top of a Standout Horizon Cherry Stand with a Pioneer SC-99 inside calibrating as I took the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_0952.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1553641  

THX und ISF Ambassador to the U.N.
                     Have Jet,Will Travel
Think of me as your modern day Spanish Inquisitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General