Standout Designs picture thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 330 Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered my e7022 today. Standout honored the free shipping since they noticed I ordered the free samples during the time they had a free shipping promo a month ago. Can't wait to get it so I can get rid of my old bedroom TV stand that I bought from Target or similar store in the 80's..lol... My new 55" Sammy looks horrible on top of my $30 stand and I've been waiting a long time for a quality piece. I will definitely post the pics when I get it in a week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 330 Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Just thought I would share:
LINK
post #33 of 330 Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Last week I received my black ash photo demo. It was sold at a discount and ASIS. I found a minor fit problem with the center rear panel.

Even though it was sold ASIS they were willing to pick it up and repair the problem. I have the ability to fix the problem so I opted for a credit.

The customer service is outstanding!
post #34 of 330 Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM

I forgot to attach a photo. Hopefully it is here now
LL
post #35 of 330 Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Drayer View Post

I forgot to attach a photo. Hopefully it is here now

Love it.... looks awesome! I actually like the N702 look better than the e7022, but didn't want the extra height that came with the N702
post #36 of 330 Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM

For me it is the perfect height. I am just about centered viewing it from my couch. I also needed room for all of my equipment. Counting the power center I have eight components.

In the right I have My Nad T773 receiver, Pioneer 51 Blue-ray, and Hd-dvd player. In the left I have 2 Directv Dvrs, a Toshiba DVD burner, a Squeezebox, and Belkin power center.

I searched for a console that would hold all of my stuff.
post #37 of 330 Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Drayer View Post

For me it is the perfect height. I am just about centered viewing it from my couch. I also needed room for all of my equipment. Counting the power center I have eight components.

In the right I have My Nad T773 receiver, Pioneer 51 Blue-ray, and Hd-dvd player. In the left I have 2 Directv Dvrs, a Toshiba DVD burner, a Squeezebox, and Belkin power center.

I searched for a console that would hold all of my stuff.

mine will be holding about 1/2 that...
HR22 directv dvr
PS3
wii
SC-05 elite receiver
belkin power center

I really wanted a stand that was at 20-21", but 'settled' on the Standout Design stand at just over 22"
post #38 of 330 Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Finally got my Samsung UN55B8500 so I thought I'd post some pictures of my N701 I ordered last month during the big moving sale. For my setup right now I removed the center drawer since my center channel speaker is so large. Once I upgrade the speakers I'll add the original drawer or the optional drawer front.

Oppo DV-983H and my trusty Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LD player. You can also see the fan cooling kit installed in the back of the cabinet

Denon 3808CI AVR and Oppo BDP-83 BR player

Polk CS400i Center Speaker and a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player

Very happy with the stand and the dealings I've had with Standout.

Jim
post #39 of 330 Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV19 View Post

Mine is on the carpet, so I can't really comment on the glide leveler feet, and it weighs a ton. I've never tipped it sideways to check out the bottom. I bought the fans and vented shelves and originally had the glass on the doors, but replaced them with the fabric grills, so now they match the speakers.

Don't laugh at the TV, that's next on the list...

Finally got the new TV... Setup looks similar to MOTOMAN's...
LL
post #40 of 330 Old 11-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

your pic is terrible. Looks like your TV is siting on a solid black box with a faint silver handle in the middle. You can make out the blue directv ring on the right side
post #41 of 330 Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

your pic is terrible.

+1
Looks like he was showing off his new TV in a furniture thread.

- John
post #42 of 330 Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Great minds think alike..

Jim
post #43 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Couple of questions for the Standout owners:

1. I was thinking of getting the N702+ with the grey/dark glass and was wondering, if I leave the backs off of the stand, will I be able to see my white wall behind it or is the glass sufficiently dark enough to prevent that?

2. Also, I was debating leaving the backs on but then going with the fans but was unsure whether or not to get the vented glass shelves with the center holes. My AVR will be sitting on one of the bottom shelves and it tends to get rather warm so I was thinking if I got the vented glass shelves, the heat would rise up and through the center hole in the glass shelf above it and thus that heat would be constantly hitting the component above it, which I'm guessing wouldn't be that good for that particular component. Is this a valid concern such that I should go with the regular glass shelves + the fans?
post #44 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM

The shelves do not go all the way to the back. There is a gap that is at least 3 inches.

I added my own fans to the receiver side. I am using two 12V 3.5W fans running on a five volt wall wort plugged into the Nad receiver. They run very fine with no noise.

The gray is medium dark. Any darker and the remotes will not pass through it. I do notice diminished range as it is.
post #45 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the response. You know, I'm still just unsure which shelves to go with. I was checking out my AVR today (HK 7550HD) to see where most of its heat is coming from and to me, it seems like its coming directly from the top and not much from its backside. So if I used the regular glass shelves, I don't know if that means the heat would just sit there above the AVR and buildup (not good) or if it would travel to the front or back of the cabinet and be safely dissipated by the fans. I feel like I am overthinking this but I just don't know which shelves to go with.
post #46 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post

Thanks for the response. You know, I'm still just unsure which shelves to go with. I was checking out my AVR today (HK 7550HD) to see where most of its heat is coming from and to me, it seems like its coming directly from the top and not much from its backside. So if I used the regular glass shelves, I don't know if that means the heat would just sit there above the AVR and buildup (not good) or if it would travel to the front or back of the cabinet and be safely dissipated by the fans. I feel like I am overthinking this but I just don't know which shelves to go with.

pretty sure all models come with vented shelves, so I am unsure how you "don't know which shelves to go with"

edit:
just dug a little deeper, seems the majestic comes standard and the n702 they are an upgrade. What is the price difference?
post #47 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Nope, they sure don't. At least for the N702+, it comes with standard glass shelves. You can "upgrade" those standard shelves to the vented glass shelves with the hole in the center for an additional fee.
post #48 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post

Nope, they sure don't. At least for the N702+, it comes with standard glass shelves. You can "upgrade" those standard shelves to the vented glass shelves with the hole in the center for an additional fee.

do you know the price of the upgrade?
post #49 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

do you know the price of the upgrade?

$99 for a set of 2 shelves. If you buy them at the same time with the stand, then they are only $69. The price really isn't a concern for me, its more of whether or not the heat passed through the center hole of the vented shelves, if that heat will damage the component sitting on top of the vented shelf over time. Conversely, if I go with the standard glass shelves, will the heat from the AVR sit on top of the AVR because it has no where to go or will it move to the front/back of the cabinet and be safely dissipated by the fans?
post #50 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 04:51 PM

I bought the N702+ with the whisper kit (Vented shelves and fans) at the time of purchase. Since my AVR and PS3 put out the most heat, I have them at the top on opposite sides of the N702. This allows the fans to draw out the heat as it comes out of the top/back of the AVR and PS3. Heat that isn't going through other components.

I would think putting an AVR on the bottom would be the worst place for reasons you mentioned. It's also much easier to read the display on the AVR when it is on top.

I guess it could be done but I'd drill holes in the back, slightly above the AVR and mount fans to those holes. Keep in mind, it isn't going to be like punching a hole through a piece of particle board. You'll be drilling into a nice piece of ash or maple.

I just went the lazy route.

- John
post #51 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the reply John! Unforutnately, my AVR is a little too big to fit on one of the upper shelves, which is also why I am getting the extender kit. Its also just about right at the 50lb capacity limit of the glass shelves so while the shelf should hold it, I really wouldn't want to chance it. I'm hoping the optional fans will be enough to deal with the heat but still undecided on which shelves to get
post #52 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Ahh. So it's the weight that has you putting it on the bottom.
If it were me, I'd either:
1. Buy the shelf kit and put the AVR on the bottom to allow adequate ventilation.
2. Buy a piece of 1/8" plywood, MDF, etc., cut it the size of the shelf and put it under the glass shelf for support. Paint the front of the wood black and you'll never notice it.
3. Just tell them to ship you an additional shelf (thereby stacking them) since your AVR is right at their max. rating. And oh yeah, do it for free.

- John
post #53 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks again John I ordered and got them to throw in both the dark and clear glass inserts for the left and right cabinets so they're probably not going to give me a free extra shelf But ya, I think the AVR is going to have to go on the bottom not just because of weight but also because of its depth (looks like from the pictures the extender kit only extends the bottom two shelves and I definitely need that extra depth that the extender allows for). I am thinking of maybe asking them if they can do just 1 or 2 vented glass shelves (instead of all 4) that way I can experiment with both types of shelves.
post #54 of 330 Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 PM

I didn't realize the extender only "extends" the lower section covered by the standard back. Their web site certainly shows that to be the case. Makes sense since it still allows you to use the fans.

That got me to thinking. Since the instructions state, "Do not put components closer than 3" from the underside of the cabinet.", and the fan kit is 4" tall, you would only have to sacrifice 1" of overall shelf space to mount the AVR up top. Thereby allowing all the heat to flow directly out the back.

Like you said, you'll have to experiment. I'm still experimenting in moving things around, changing cables and adding/removing components.

Good thing it is on wheels.

Best of luck.

Edit: I forgot to mention that yes, even with the dark glass you will still be able to see a white wall behind the unit in broad daylight. The extender may change that since it appears to extend past the bottom/base of the standard unit. In other words, with the extender you could push the entire unit flush against the wall and not allow ambient light to get behind it.

- John
post #55 of 330 Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nice deals going on right now at Standout.. Toal of $250.00 off between $100. off the stand plus free shipping.. hmm.

- Chip
post #56 of 330 Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM

Thought I would add some photos of my setup with my recently purchased N702+ (apologize for the low-quality pics). I opted for the "Cinnamon Maple" color wth the extenders, whisper quiet fans, vented shelves, center grill kit, and smoked glass.

Equipment shown is as follows:

Left cabinet:
- Oppo BDP-83 BR player (top shelf)
- Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder (middle shelf)
- Linksys WRT-600N 802.11n dual-band router (bottom shelf)
- Linksys 8 port gigabit switch (bottom shelf)
- Verizon Fios Modem (bottom shelf)
- Ninentdo Wii (bottom shelf)
- ATI Digital Cablecard Tuner (bottom shelf, very back)

Center Cabinet:
- Infinity Interlude IL36c speaker (behind grill)

Right Cabinet:
- TivoHD (top shelf)
- Slingbox Pro-HD (top shelf)
- Directv H22 HD receiver (middle shelf)
- Monoprice Switch (middle shelf)
- Monoprice Splitter (middle shelf)
- Harman/Kardon 7550HD 7.2 AVR (bottom shelf)

Top:
- TV: Pioneer KRP-600M monitor
- Remote: Universal Remote MX-810

Other items:
- Left/Right Main Speakers: 2x Infinity Interlude IL40
- Subwoofer: Infinity Interlude IL120S
- HTPC: HP m9300t w/ cablecard tuner (Windows 7 Pro)

Not shown:
- Surround Speakers: 4x Infinity Interlude IL10
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #57 of 330 Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Very nice setup.
Any chance of getting some photos of the back?
I'm dealing with quite a cable mess and am considering those back extenders to relieve some of the tension.
Also, it appears there should be a left and right version of the extenders based on the photos. However, they only ask the quantity you want to order. Not which side they will be installed in. I found the fans to be the same problem which caused some serious pushing of the plug into the left underside cabinet.

Anyone else experience this ?

- John
post #58 of 330 Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

Very nice setup.
Any chance of getting some photos of the back?
I'm dealing with quite a cable mess and am considering those back extenders to relieve some of the tension.
Also, it appears there should be a left and right version of the extenders based on the photos. However, they only ask the quantity you want to order. Not which side they will be installed in. I found the fans to be the same problem which caused some serious pushing of the plug into the left underside cabinet.

Anyone else experience this ?

Sorry, my camera recently died on me so am looking currently looking for a new one so can't take any new pics. But as far as the extenders go, there is only one design and it can be used on either the left or right side. You simply flip the extender upside down or backwards or some other way depending on which side you want to install it on. Its not an issue and fits the same no matter which side its installed on. The wire management holes will always face towards the center of the cabinet. The cable management holes definitely helped clean up the wire mess (especially for the audio/video cables) but I have so many power bricks/plugs, network cables, and speaker wires that it still looks like a mess back there. Definitely better than before I had the N702+ but still messy behind the cabinet. However, my system is very extensive and is definitely not the norm so I'm inclined to believe that for the average home theater system, the wire management provided by the N702+ and/or the extenders will clean things up nicely in most cases.

As far as the fans go, I didn't quite understand your comment but are you concerned with the fans taking up space inside the cabinet? If so, no worries, you can mount the fans so that they protrude outside the cabinet and then just switch the direction the fans spin (directions on how to do that are included with the kit). The fans install fine on either side of the cabinet, no issues there.
post #59 of 330 Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I think I'll order the extender kits today. I just wanted to ensure the wire openings were on the inside facing each other. Sounds like you have confirmed this to be the case. Based on the pictures on the web site it looks like the extender is built for the right side of the cabinet when looking at it from the front.
Regarding the fan kit, I have purchased and installed this option. Did you not find the fans on the left side (when looking from the front) had the transformer plug firmly forced into the underside of the top of the unit?

- John
post #60 of 330 Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM

On my N702+, the transformer for either plug is not squeezed/forced into the underside of the unit at all. There is defnitely some wiggle room such that its a nice and easy fit. If you have concerns, you should call Alan at Standout Designs, he will definitely work with you until you are satisfied.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Salamander Designs , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page