Standout Designs picture thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 330 Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered the N702+ with 1 back extender and the cooling fans and glass this past month. Got the stand in espresso on maple. My 50" Pio Kuro never had it so nice.

However, the fans are driving me nuts. The website claims 12.2 dB but both sets are loud enough to hear from over 20 feet away. I hear their whine every time they come on. It's not a soft hum, but an annoying whine that's definitely louder than 12.2 dB. I'm not one of those people overly sensitive to sound either. Even my friends who've come over commented that the fans were annoying.

Anyone else experience that? From what I've read in this thread everyone says they're silent. Did I install them wrong? The light and plug are facing into the cabinet interior and there thermometers are attached to the top front of the cabinet.

I've sent Standout Designs an email on this. Until I get something sorted, I've just unplugged the fans. Otherwise, I'd have to stuff cotton in my ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 330 Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM

The fans I got from Standout are pretty quiet. The room has to be dead silent for me to hear them and even then, I really have to listen for them. When I'm watching tv/dvds, no way can I hear the fans. Sounds like maybe you got some bad units. Give Alan a call at Standout and let him know about the issue, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you get things resolved.
post #63 of 330 Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM

It turns out, the fans themselves are quiet. It's when they are placed in the board that the vibration becomes audible. Removing the grills and just placing the fans in the holes on the board causes an amplification of vibration in the midrange frequencies. There's no dampening material between the fans and their housing.

The amplification of the vibration is present with any of the 4 fans. It becomes worse when both fans are attached in parallel. I don't know if there's been a change in the design or in the fans being used, but even my family who was over this weekend complained about the whining sound when I plugged the fans in without their knowing it.

I'm currently corresponding with Alan and am trying to fabricate some kind of vibration absorber to limit the sound.
post #64 of 330 Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Sounds like Standout needs to incorporate vibration dampeners with the new fans.
Something like this: Vantec Dampener

Based on their web site they have recently changed fans and this is likely causing your problem. Mine are pretty silent but they are the older fans which were shipping back in August. Best of Luck.

- John
post #65 of 330 Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM

I got my N702+ with the fans last month in December and no vibrations/noise so far.
post #66 of 330 Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have the majestic grand and I cannot hear the fans at all. basically silent. My unit shipped a few weeks before christmas, so I am pretty sure I have the newest fans
post #67 of 330 Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM

Viremia,
Based on what others are saying it sounds like Standout got a bad batch of fans.
I've had this happen in some of my PC builds. Just RMA the fans and it seems you will be okay.

Again, best of luck. I'm sure Standout will Standup to resolve your problem.

- John
post #68 of 330 Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 AM

I received my Majestic Angle in Espresso Maple and though I would show pictures. This particular color is not shown on their website. I'm very happy with it so far. I opted for the black hardware instead of silver and smoke glass. I have recently ordered the matching wood panels to replace the glass as the furniture is so nice I want to see more of it. I prefer the clean look.

For reference that's a 50" Pioneer Kuro, a Definitive ProCenter 2000, and the front speakers are Definitive ProMonitor 1000's. The Definitive's are about the largest speakers I could find that would fit in the side shelves and I'm very happy with them. Internally I have a Denon 2310, a DirecTV HR22, a PS3 Slim, and Xbox 360. I still have room for about 2 more components so I ordered an extra set of shelves. The fit and finish is top notch, the folks at Standout are pleasure to deal with. The only thing I found to improve on was that the rear panel is tough to pull out, so to make this better I screwed on some nice drawer pulls to use as handles. I think they should have included handles of some sort due to the tight fit.
LL
LL
LL
post #69 of 330 Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

Viremia,
Based on what others are saying it sounds like Standout got a bad batch of fans.
I've had this happen in some of my PC builds. Just RMA the fans and it seems you will be okay.

Again, best of luck. I'm sure Standout will Standup to resolve your problem.

Standout really came through. They replaced my fans and panels with the new Whisper 2 units. Now, I can't hear the fans from downstairs, nor from upstairs, nor from within the same room or even when bending over the back of the unit. I can only (barely) hear them when I place my ear about 3 inches away, and that's only if everything is absolutely quiet.

Much better.

It took a while, mainly because I got busy and didn't get a chance until last month to get back to trying to dampen the vibration, which didn't really work too well. But the guys at SD were more than willing to help me. Based on the sound (or lack of it) coming from the new fans, it's clear to me the previous ones I got were defective.
post #70 of 330 Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Glad to hear that.
Another good ending to the story.
Quality and Customer Sat. go a long way and this company is one of the few that seems to understand that concept.

Enjoy your now "noise free" stand.

- John
post #71 of 330 Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Ouch !? Standoutdesigns raised their prices up to 20% on their cabinets.

Getting a little too rich for me. What are their sale prices like? Save 100 bucks and free shipping usually? Anything better than that ? Gonna have to mull over those high prices. Will wait and see or look at other options.
post #72 of 330 Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viremia View Post

Standout really came through. They replaced my fans and panels with the new Whisper 2 units. Now, I can't hear the fans from downstairs, nor from upstairs, nor from within the same room or even when bending over the back of the unit. I can only (barely) hear them when I place my ear about 3 inches away, and that's only if everything is absolutely quiet.

Much better.

It took a while, mainly because I got busy and didn't get a chance until last month to get back to trying to dampen the vibration, which didn't really work too well. But the guys at SD were more than willing to help me. Based on the sound (or lack of it) coming from the new fans, it's clear to me the previous ones I got were defective.

I just ordered a Majestic Twin the other day. Should I receive the "Whisper 2" fans and panels as well?
post #73 of 330 Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Liked: 12
I have been considering the Standout Designs N702 stand as it seems to fit most of my requirements.

I would, however, like to mount my 50" plasma to a mount that would somehow fit on the N702. There will be no wall behind the stand as it will be in front of a window. And I would feel much safer with the tv mounted securely rather than just sitting on the stand because of two toddlers running around all day. Has anyone used such a stand to mount it to the N702 and can provide a link?

Actually this thing I found is perfect:
http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_6...t.html?tp=1003

Only, it is $700! After spending $1500 or so on the N702, I would hate to spend another $700 on this. So any other cheaper but similar options out there that people may have used?
post #74 of 330 Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

I have been considering the Standout Designs N702 stand as it seems to fit most of my requirements.

I would, however, like to mount my 50" plasma to a mount that would somehow fit on the N702. There will be no wall behind the stand as it will be in front of a window. And I would feel much safer with the tv mounted securely rather than just sitting on the stand because of two toddlers running around all day. Has anyone used such a stand to mount it to the N702 and can provide a link?

Actually this thing I found is perfect:
http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_6...t.html?tp=1003

Only, it is $700! After spending $1500 or so on the N702, I would hate to spend another $700 on this. So any other cheaper but similar options out there that people may have used?

You should give Standout a call, they may be able to offer suggestions on mounts that are compatible with their products.
post #75 of 330 Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post

You should give Standout a call, they may be able to offer suggestions on mounts that are compatible with their products.

Thanks, I already did. They did not have any suggestions, and in fact recommended to post in this forum to see if any other users had done something similar!
post #76 of 330 Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't know how many owners monitor this thread but I'm wondering if anyone can give me the answer as their offices are closed today and the current sale also ends today.

I am considering the Majestic Grand stand and the website says that the top location is 27" wide with the drawer removed.

I have a Boston VR90 center channel speaker that is 27.16 inches wide. Does anyone know if the center opening is exactly 27" wide or is there enough leeway for this speaker to fit?

Thanks.
post #77 of 330 Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 PM

I don't have that Standout unit (got the N702+) but you shouldn't feel pressured to make the purchase today. Just give them a call tomorrow, explain the situation/question, and if it turns out the speaker will fit, they will almost surely honor the sale promotions from today. They've done that for several other people on this site who missed the sale by a day or two so you should be just fine. If for any reason the first person won't honor the sales price/promotion, then just ask to speak with Allan.
post #78 of 330 Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post

I don't have that Standout unit (got the N702+) but you shouldn't feel pressured to make the purchase today. Just give them a call tomorrow, explain the situation/question, and if it turns out the speaker will fit, they will almost surely honor the sale promotions from today. They've done that for several other people on this site who missed the sale by a day or two so you should be just fine. If for any reason the first person won't honor the sales price/promotion, then just ask to speak with Allan.

Okay thanks for the information. As a worst case scenario I could also simply pry the end caps off of the center channel which would likely ruin them cosmetically but would make it fit.

I would rather not have to replace my entire VR series Boston setup just to accommodate a piece of furniture but this is a rather large center channel speaker.
post #79 of 330 Old 06-06-2010, 06:22 PM

what was the sale price of the majestic grand e7022? Right now it's listed at 1799 plus shipping. wondering if its worth the wait for it to go on sale. thanks.
post #80 of 330 Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Spoke to Standout Designs and I was informed that there will be a Fathers Day Sale. The information will be posted Friday.
post #81 of 330 Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 AM
VPD

This is my Majestic Grand Model e7022. Color is cinnamon which looks like a dark cherry stain in real life. The flash lightens it about. Stand has black hardware and tinted doors.

I got the sale price a few months ago at $1650 and free shipping. My Samsung PN63C8000 sits atop.
LL
post #82 of 330 Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 PM

the only negative about standout designs is the long shipping times on a lot of the models (4-6 weeks)...I'm getting my new TV in the next week and half and am in quite the predicament.
post #83 of 330 Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 AM

I like the look of Standout Designs stands a lot. I just purchased the Samsung PN63C8000 and will be mounting it on a wall in my living room that is 148 inches long and 11 feet high. I see that these stands are 70" long. Do they make any that are 80"+ ? The 63" wont be much smaller in width then a 70" stand.

Any other suggestions?
post #84 of 330 Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Bumping an old thread here. Does anyone have or is aware of a coffee table that would match the cinnamon colored stands? I know StandOut has a matching coffee table for the Horizon and one coming soon for the Majestic, but it's more than I'd like to spend on a coffee table.
post #85 of 330 Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Liked: 16
My Horizon N702 in Espresso on Maple:

I like the stand. Build quality is excellent. If I have to nit-pick, I wish there were a couple of more holes for the shelves, maybe one more set above and below to allow a little more adjustability. I also wish the glass shelves/brackets could hold more weight. I would have liked to have had my receiver on the top shelf to give it a little more ventilation but after putting it on a glass shelf, the bracket started to pull out of their holes slightly which didn't inspire confidence. Now the receiver's on the bottom with @ 4" of clearance on top.

Other than that, the stand is great. I love the fact that it's on hidden casters. The removable backs and cable management holes are great. The bottom drawer swallows a good amount of media and miscellaneous things like XBox charging cables, headset and original remotes.

We had a little bit of a delivery hiccup but the folks at Standout took care of everything. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Standout Designs for anyone looking for a quality piece of furniture made right here in PA. We were considering a similarly styled but more expensive BDI stand that only had wood veneer. I'm glad I stumbled upon an ad for these guys right here on this site.

Bill
post #86 of 330 Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Stand looks great Bill! I bought the same unit about a year ago but in Cinnamon Maple and couldn't be happier with it. Be sure to keep an eye on the temperature of your receiver. I put mine in the same location as yours also with 4" of clearance and it still got too hot for my liking even though I have the optional fans for the N702+ and the vented glass shelves (my receiver just puts out a lot of heat, more than most other AVRs). I ended up buying one of these and placing it on top of the receiver and that seems to keep it cool in conjunction with the N702+'s fans:

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Notebook...666949&sr=8-12
post #87 of 330 Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM

I have decided I am going to purchase either the Horizon N702 or the Majestic e7022. Right now the price difference is $270 both with free shipping. Other than the cooling fans, can anyone tell me why I should pick the Majestic over the Horizon?

BTW, my Klipsch RC-3 is too large, so I would have to remove the top center drawer of the Majestic in order for it to fit.
post #88 of 330 Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 PM

I think its a matter of personal preference at this point. I went with the N702+ because my center channel wouldn't fit in the e7022, the N702+ had a little bit more room height wise so I could squeeze in more gear, and it had optional extenders for the back for my larger components. You really can't go wrong with either one, you just have to decide which one will fit your system the best. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed this or not, but Standout provides a nice comparison guide between the two units you are considering:

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/compa...=480&width=710
post #89 of 330 Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post

I have decided I am going to purchase either the Horizon N702 or the Majestic e7022. Right now the price difference is $270 both with free shipping. Other than the cooling fans, can anyone tell me why I should pick the Majestic over the Horizon?

BTW, my Klipsch RC-3 is too large, so I would have to remove the top center drawer of the Majestic in order for it to fit.

I would never put my equipment in an enclosed cabinet without fans. If you have any equipment that can overheat, I would recommend getting the fan kit if you go with the Horizon.

You should either measure your equipment height or what height you would like your TV to be. The Majestic kept the TV more at eye level for me, plus I didn't need the extra height.

BTW, I also have a Klipsch RC-3 and it *just* fit in the top drawer. I know the StandOut site says that there is 7.75" of clearance, but the ~7.9" high center channel fit in fine. I love this as it makes for a very clean look.
post #90 of 330 Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 PM

I will be ordering my stand from Standout Designs on Monday. I really want the Majestic, because the height is perfect, and I love the styling. But, my receiver with cable connections on back measure 22", so it looks like I need the extender. I only see the extender available on the Horizon. Does that mean I would be limited to selecting the Horizon?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Salamander Designs , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page