Panasonic Announces Viera Cast Updates at CES - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 01-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been checking regularly to see if my G10 TV will upgrade the Viera Cast software but have not seen any upgrade yet. I am in the New England - US area. Has anyone seen the newer software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM

The latest firmware for the G10 is Update Version 1.28 .

I don't really understand why Netflix cannot be added to the available features. Surely all the gaming systems out there do not have the same exact chipsets?? And most have Netflix capability or will shortly after being provided with a disc. How much different can it really be than the Amazon VOD?

From an older review about Viera Cast.

Quote:

Viera Cast is not a static piece of software. It doesn't exist on the TV, but rather on the Internet, so Panasonic can make updates at will. That means older Viera Cast TVs will also be able to get Amazon VOD, and that these models would get Netflix should it be added to the service later.

post #33 of 47 Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Just talked to someone in Tech support that told me once those services are on Viera Cast Server older TVs should be able to access that feature. Let's hope he knows what he's talking about.
post #34 of 47 Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 AM

That's the way it is supposed to work. Hope he is right.
post #35 of 47 Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Wil - I am in Cordova (throw a rock real hard and you will probably hit me) and have Comcast as my ISP at their cheapest, and presume, slowest connection speed.

Have only tried Amazon on demand a few times because I don't care for their charges. HD picture quality was very good and zero problems with connection or dropouts. Not as good as Blu-Ray, but exceeded my expectations.

Until last fall, we were still using AT&T DSL. Also watched HD programming directly from FOX and ABC without problems even at DSL speeds through my PC connected wirelessly.

Drfreeman.. sorry I took so long to see your post. I'm about 4 miles north of Wolfchase Mall. I have Comcast performance, they just upgraded from 6 MBS to 12 MBS. I bought a ROKU XR HD player..mostly to get access to Netflix. I will have to change my Comcast cable plan if I make ANY changes at all. Still trying to convince the wife that we can drop HBO & Showtime and replace with Netflix streaming. Comcast will raise my price for an additional HD STB and DVR. I'm on an old plan that did not charge extra for HD.

The Roku box works real good for Netflix streaming. Plays 720P HD without a stutter on the new 50" Panasonic Plasma. I'm real close to ordering the Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blue Ray player. It has their upgraded 2010 Viera Cast that will support Netflix streaming as well as AVOD. Then I could move the Roku up to the old, old HDTV in the gameroom. I just found one in stock, free shipping, no TN sales tax and discounted off the suggested list price.

I just started Netflix to get access to the streaming about a month ago. Might have to upgrade that to the BlueRay plan and start ordering those. Have not experienced 1080P yet, but I guess it't time to see how good it really is.

Later,

Bill
post #36 of 47 Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlbrown9 View Post

Drfreeman.. sorry I took so long to see your post. I'm about 4 miles north of Wolfchase Mall. I have Comcast performance, they just upgraded from 6 MBS to 12 MBS. I bought a ROKU XR HD player..mostly to get access to Netflix. I will have to change my Comcast cable plan if I make ANY changes at all. Still trying to convince the wife that we can drop HBO & Showtime and replace with Netflix streaming. Comcast will raise my price for an additional HD STB and DVR. I'm on an old plan that did not charge extra for HD.

The Roku box works real good for Netflix streaming. Plays 720P HD without a stutter on the new 50" Panasonic Plasma. I'm real close to ordering the Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blue Ray player. It has their upgraded 2010 Viera Cast that will support Netflix streaming as well as AVOD. Then I could move the Roku up to the old, old HDTV in the gameroom. I just found one in stock, free shipping, no TN sales tax and discounted off the suggested list price.

I just started Netflix to get access to the streaming about a month ago. Might have to upgrade that to the BlueRay plan and start ordering those. Have not experienced 1080P yet, but I guess it't time to see how good it really is.

Later,

Bill

Okay. I did go ahead and order the DMP-BD85 from onecall.com yesterday. Fedex Home delivery shows this Saturday. I finally found the manual for this one on the Pansonic site. It gives a little info about using Viera Link to control the TV and BD player. I may have to experiment quite a bit to see how it really works. Most use will be afternoons my wife picks the granddaughter up from school for a couple of hours. Netflix streaming for Spongebob, Scoobie, or other youth movies. Then change my Netflix plan to include BlueRay and update my queue. Try and teach the wife how to use Viera Cast on the new equipment. She has not really jumped into the Netflix streaming using the Roku and don't know if she will use the Viera Cast much by herself.

One thing I need to find out... Roku HD box streams Netflix HD at 720P. The Panny DMP-BD85 upconverts some things to 1080P if you have it connected via HDMI. I'll find out if streaming Netflix throught the BD85 upconverts?

Another thought...I wonder if I hook up Comcast STB > BD85 > Panny 1080P TV if the BD85 will upconvert the Comcast output to 1080P from 720P or 1080I?

BTW, link to the DMP-BD85 manual on-line for Viera Link, Viera Cast, etc

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD85-MUL.PDF

Bill
post #37 of 47 Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Just in case you haven't heard yet. Due to DRM restrictions, pre-2010 pany viera cast products will not receive the update for netflix streaming.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10455655-1.html
post #38 of 47 Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM

So they can handle the DRM for Amazon streaming but not Netflix?
post #39 of 47 Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM

I woke up to some good news today, Viera Cast will no longer work on my G15 without an update. I felt like a little kid on christmas day no lie. Once the update downloaded and restarted the set I perused the new viera cast.

So far I have Widgets for Pandora, You tube (Ofcourse) Fox Sports (Coming Soon) Picasa (yep) Twitter (Coming soon) AmazonVOD (yep) Bloomberg and Weather. Some german stuff and about 7 open spaces with coming soon widgets.

As for Skype and Netflix no sign as of yet, I'm not sure how skype will make it to our 2009 models but I remain hopeful. I was suprised twitter is coming to our set. I'm hoping they release an ir keyboard err something. I don't have much patience for the current triple tap keyboard via the remote.
post #40 of 47 Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Netflix and Skype: no dice on 2009 models

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10455655-1.html
post #41 of 47 Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Is there any web browser capability on these sets? Also with Viera Cast, why do you need the BlueRay player with streaming (especially as you can do it direct to TV). I am wondering what the best BlueRay player is for the new sets. I think the ideal player has functionality VieraCast does not offer, but added value (i.e., two NetFlix streaming solutions not necessary IMHO)
post #42 of 47 Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark.hockey2010 View Post

According to an old interview of Bob Perry Panasonic's marketing VP all apps and services for viera cast reside on their server. This makes the Viera Cast portal "infinitely upgradeable". I understand this as saying that it doesn't matter if you have the 2009 model G10 you should be able to enjoy any content added to the viera cast portal. The heavy lifting is done on their server not our tv's. "cepro.com/article/qa_bob_perry_panasonic/K352"

Sadly, "infinitely upgradeable" seems to mean into the future.
The word I have is that due to hardware problems, older units will be incapable of accessing a lot (maybe none) of the new services, in particular, Netflix.

At one point I had widgets for the "coming soon" but these have disappeared again now.

There are just so many low quality you tube videos and other peoples photos that can hold your attention, an hour or so does it.
Weather and stock prices I can get on normal tv.

How about it Panasonic, at least give us the facility to navigate to the internet page of OUR choosing so we can access the free streaming content out there and/or allow us to stream video from our own PC.

Failing that, Viera Cast is simply a bad joke on those of us who fell for the "infinitely upgradeable" sales pitch and trusted you to deliver on the promises made.
post #43 of 47 Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM

And no Hulu+

STOOPID.
post #44 of 47 Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 AM

When I bought my G25, Netflix was mentioned in the features. I paid extra for that model over some of the other models because I wanted Netflix. It's been months. At what point is it reasonable for me to demand that they honor their sales pitch?
post #45 of 47 Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Still no netflix??? Both Ultimate and Best Buy's ads this week mention Netflix in their promos of Viera TV's and BDP's...yet I still don't get it on my G20...grrrrr!!!!
post #46 of 47 Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Biscuits View Post

Still no netflix??? Both Ultimate and Best Buy's ads this week mention Netflix in their promos of Viera TV's and BDP's...yet I still don't get it on my G20...grrrrr!!!!

Someone in the G20/25 thread called Panny a few weeks ago and they told him August. Now seeing as August is over in 1 day i don't see it coming this month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #47 of 47 Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 PM

There are still some V10s out there for sale. The current ads for the V10 on panasonic.com, onecall, 6ave, and other sites show Viera Cast as one of the features and show Netflix as one of the available services. That is on the V10 not just the V25. If it doesn't happen, which it looks like it won't, that is false advertising. Irresponsible and dishonest.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page