Have 1600$ to spend...plasma or LCD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. We are moving into our new place soon and we are shopping for our living room TV. We have a budget of 1600$ to spend. That being said, I am trying to find the best deal. I am a gamer and love watching movies with my wife. For the budget we have I thought we could get a bigger TV going with plasma vs LCD.

We have good light control where we are moving. I was thinking of buying the 60 inch 60PK540 Panasonic 600 hertz at Sam's Club. Online price is 1497$ Can I find a better LCD for that price? I haven't really looked at LCD's.

I'm kinda torn at what to get. Any help is appreciated. Our viewing area is about 6-7 feet from the TV. Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You aren't getting into 60" land in LCD for $1,600.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

Hey guys. We are moving into our new place soon and we are shopping for our living room TV. We have a budget of 1600$ to spend. That being said, I am trying to find the best deal. I am a gamer and love watching movies with my wife. For the budget we have I thought we could get a bigger TV going with plasma vs LCD.

We have good light control where we are moving. I was thinking of buying the 60 inch 60PK540 Panasonic 600 hertz at Sam's Club. Online price is 1497$ Can I find a better LCD for that price? I haven't really looked at LCD's.

I'm kinda torn at what to get. Any help is appreciated. Our viewing area is about 6-7 feet from the TV. Thanks a bunch.

That would be a LG plasma at Sam's. Decent set for the $$. Pretty reflective screen though. Also not great for extensive gaming due to image retention. IF gaming is a small part of your use of the set it would probably be fine. 60 inch could be too big for some people at your distance...make sure you are ok with that. At least Sams gives you 90 days to play with it and see if it works out for you. Plasmas are better for movies than any comparable priced LCD would be.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
54" Panasonic G25 plasma from Amazon?

Having played CoD4 (PC) on a 1080p plasma (Panny G25) and 1080p LCD (Sammy 71f), the plasma is the way to go. Way less input lag and motion blur is MUCH worse for gaming than even normal TV with the LCD. It was damn near unplayable to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

If you love watching movies go plasma as a matter of fact go plasma anyway. Speaking from experience I recently bought an LED to replace my plasma and as soon as I got it set up and adjusted everything I couldn't get it back in the box fast enough!! 4 days later my new plasma arrived life is good!
post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

54" Panasonic G25 plasma from Amazon?

Having played CoD4 (PC) on a 1080p plasma (Panny G25) and 1080p LCD (Sammy 71f), the plasma is the way to go. Way less input lag and motion blur is MUCH worse for gaming than even normal TV with the LCD. It was damn near unplayable to me.

To be fair, the Samsung 71F is a 3 year old LCD. But yes, Plasma is the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
post #7 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I am set on getting a plasma. I play games and watch tv/bluray. I am all set on sound as I am not going to be using it on the tv. I have a good 5.1 system.

The thing is now, for 1600$ online/brick and mortar....what plasma set would you guys recommend? I live near Costcos and Sams club. What would be the best deal for 1600$?

Thanks again for the help!
post #8 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Don't think you'll find a better deal than what's mentioned .. my 65" Panasonic ran about $2100 from Amazon .. free ship, no tax .. $1600 sounds pretty good for a 60" ..

BTW, the image retention issue with plasmas has been solved some time back ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you can go with a 58" .. here is an exceptionally good deal ..

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...mid=200&ref=cj

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Don't think you'll find a better deal than what's mentioned .. my 65" Panasonic ran about $2100 from Amazon .. free ship, no tax .. $1600 sounds pretty good for a 60" ..

BTW, the image retention issue with plasmas has been solved some time back ..

Are you saying that you can't end up with burn-in on current plasma TVs? Or that high-contrast images may leave a temporary impression on the screen?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Are you saying that you can't end up with burn-in on current plasma TVs? Or that high-contrast images may leave a temporary impression on the screen?

One technique used is motion adaptive anti burn in technology, which focuses on moving the on-screen image ever so slightly. A second improvement by some manufacturers is improvement in the phosphor gas itself in order to make it more resistant.

These techniques have been incorporated into modern plasma displays, essentially making image retention/burn in a non issue ..

Uncle Willie

post #13 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Don't think you'll find a better deal than what's mentioned .. my 65" Panasonic ran about $2100 from Amazon

What model was this?

Bob
The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I was.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post

What model was this?

S2 .. in fact, the price has dropped since I last checked it..

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P...3270170&sr=1-3

Uncle Willie

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page