Need a Decision: Sammy PN50C8000 or Sammy LN46C630 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
junkmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this is the dilemma. Initially, I really wanted a 3D plasma and found some great reviews about the Sammy PN50C8000 (aside from the occasional critique about buzzing noise and image retention). But is it too early to get a 1st generation 3DTV? The other model I'm considering is the Sammy LN46C630. I realize that it's a totally different TV (46", no 3D, LCD 120Hz, no internet, no apps, etc.)

Just wondering if I should go for the PN50C8000 or just get the cheaper but still decent LN46C630 for now and wait a couple of generations for the 3DTV technology to mature and see where 3D is going.... (perhaps there will be more affordable no glasses 3DTV coming in a few years... Sammy already had a prototype that they displayed at the 2010 CES).

Which way do you think I should go???
junkmail is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Focus on the 2D performance.
8mile13 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
junkmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you're right... even though I feel like getting the PN50C8000 (although it is rated as having an excellent 2D display) ... the sensible thing here is to get the less expensive LN46C630... then wait a few years to see how the 3DTV (especially the ones with no glasses) pans out and save the bulk of the cash for a nice one.

Anyone compared between these two models and seen them in the store?
junkmail is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Member
 
tjfratello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you should be focusing first on your viewing needs and the decision between plasma and lcd. The display tech and size will have more impact on your daily viewing than 3D v 2D.

I've seen them both and they both look good. The PN50C8000 looks particularly good to me.
tjfratello is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 10-29-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
junkmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Content wise, I'll mostly be viewing standard def dvd movies, broadcast tv, and perhaps in the future ESPN or CNN. Down the road, I'll probably get a blu-ray player.

I've seen the PN50C8000 in person and it does have great picture quality, viewing angle, color, blackness, etc. But with standard def over the air content, the resolution is a bit crappy... even 720p doesn't look quite that good. Perhaps it's a picture quality setting adjustment?

I've heard the argument that smaller size TV actually do better with standard def content...



Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfratello View Post

I think you should be focusing first on your viewing needs and the decision between plasma and lcd. The display tech and size will have more impact on your daily viewing than 3D v 2D.

I've seen them both and they both look good. The PN50C8000 looks particularly good to me.

junkmail is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
rcandiloro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail View Post

So this is the dilemma. Initially, I really wanted a 3D plasma and found some great reviews about the Sammy PN50C8000 (aside from the occasional critique about buzzing noise and image retention). But is it too early to get a 1st generation 3DTV? The other model I'm considering is the Sammy LN46C630. I realize that it's a totally different TV (46", no 3D, LCD 120Hz, no internet, no apps, etc.)

Just wondering if I should go for the PN50C8000 or just get the cheaper but still decent LN46C630 for now and wait a couple of generations for the 3DTV technology to mature and see where 3D is going.... (perhaps there will be more affordable no glasses 3DTV coming in a few years... Sammy already had a prototype that they displayed at the 2010 CES).

Which way do you think I should go???

If you are concerned about the quality of 3D today, don't, because it's excellent. Of course technology is always improving, but I wouldn't wait.
rcandiloro is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 10-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Gris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: S.W. Ontario, Canada
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wouldn't base your decision on standard def content - unless you have a lot of old video tapes, etc. There doesn't seem to be much of that left anymore, least not around here and most hd tvs will play it pretty well anyway.
Gris is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Samsung C650 is going to have better blacks than the C8000, unless you get a 58"+ C8000, then the blacks will be around .007-.009 ft/L, a little better than what the Samsung LCD will give you.

They both calibrate very accurately. The C8000 is supposed to have some new firmware that improved color accurary and made it easier to dial in the colors.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yeah, don't worry about 3D yet. Its early. There's not a ton of 3D content yet. (though it should start rolling out in 2011) aside from the 3D cable channels. So as others have pointed out, figure out which tech you want to go with (LCD or Plasma) and go from there. Both TV's are fine choices. You can't really go wrong with either one. My suggestion would be if you have light control issues, go with the C630 (LCD brightness will power through high ambient light issues) but if you have a decent amount of light control, go with the C8000 (plasma performs better than LCD in a darker environment.)
Those are gross generalizations, but they are a good place to start from.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is online now  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
junkmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the helpful input! I agree that 3D right now isn't a major selling point of the TV to me... amazing 2D picture quality (in 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) is the major concern. Last weekend, I walked into Best Buy and saw both model. Here's my basic summarized thoughts so far (please feel free to comment)

1) PN50C8000 picture quality is quite good, color is really excellent, next to LCDS or LED-LCDS, they are dimmer and the color is slightly dimmer but the shadow detail and stuff is a bit better. I heard the buzzing noise emitting from the PN50C8000 but it is very slight... I had to have my ear 2-3 inches from the screen. Even with the TV on mute as I walk away (1-2 feet) I can't hear the buzz anymore. I did notice some image retention, channel identification logo is slightly burnt-in when you switch the source to one that doesn't have a signal yet and you get a dark screen... channel logo still appears like a ghost image. This is a factor of concern here... other thing I notice is that there's a bit of judder when watching football games. I thought plasmas are suppose to handle motion much better. I had taken people advice and turn off the dejudder to "off" because having it on makes things look like a soap opera effect.


2) LN46C630 is a lot brighter, color was bright and vivid, but while details were great just a tad bit less detail than the PN50C8000. For example, the commercial with a girl with freckles.. you could see all the minor freckles and details on the plasma... but on the LCD you saw some but not as much of the subtle freckles. Motion in sports seems good, although saw some occasional pixelations with fast motion. The one thing that I felt was quite notice able was that even though the LCD was 46" and the plasma was 50"... only 4 inches difference... it felt like the plasma was MUCH bigger! When I took a few steps back (about 10-12 feet away from the TV), the 46 LCD looks tiny compared to the 50 plasma.


Looks like there's a lot of trade-offs and dilemmas here. I've narrowed it down to these two but they're both quite different TVs. As for the room they'll be in. There will be curtains so I have some control over the lighting but I like to keep the curtains open during the day for sunlight and I do watch football/sports in the afternoon...

hmmm.... needless to say also the LN46C630 is much much lower costing than the PN50C8000. More than double the price for the plasma! I've been saving up for a while now so they're both "affordable" BUT, that being said... even thought I really care about image quality of the picture... getting the smaller one means I have money left over to buy a decent entertainment console and
other things (blu-ray player, sound system, etc.)...











Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Yeah, don't worry about 3D yet. Its early. There's not a ton of 3D content yet. (though it should start rolling out in 2011) aside from the 3D cable channels. So as others have pointed out, figure out which tech you want to go with (LCD or Plasma) and go from there. Both TV's are fine choices. You can't really go wrong with either one. My suggestion would be if you have light control issues, go with the C630 (LCD brightness will power through high ambient light issues) but if you have a decent amount of light control, go with the C8000 (plasma performs better than LCD in a darker environment.)
Those are gross generalizations, but they are a good place to start from.

junkmail is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail View Post

Thanks everyone for the helpful input! I agree that 3D right now isn't a major selling point of the TV to me... amazing 2D picture quality (in 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) is the major concern. Last weekend, I walked into Best Buy and saw both model. Here's my basic summarized thoughts so far (please feel free to comment)

1) PN50C8000 picture quality is quite good, color is really excellent, next to LCDS or LED-LCDS, they are dimmer and the color is slightly dimmer but the shadow detail and stuff is a bit better. I heard the buzzing noise emitting from the PN50C8000 but it is very slight... I had to have my ear 2-3 inches from the screen. Even with the TV on mute as I walk away (1-2 feet) I can't hear the buzz anymore. I did notice some image retention, channel identification logo is slightly burnt-in when you switch the source to one that doesn't have a signal yet and you get a dark screen... channel logo still appears like a ghost image. This is a factor of concern here... other thing I notice is that there's a bit of judder when watching football games. I thought plasmas are suppose to handle motion much better. I had taken people advice and turn off the dejudder to "off" because having it on makes things look like a soap opera effect.

I've also had some experience with Samsung Plasma getting some fairly obvious Image Retention very quickly (only an hour of game playing) and thats one thing that steers me away from Plasma.

Quote:
2) LN46C630 is a lot brighter, color was bright and vivid, but while details were great just a tad bit less detail than the PN50C8000. For example, the commercial with a girl with freckles.. you could see all the minor freckles and details on the plasma... but on the LCD you saw some but not as much of the subtle freckles. Motion in sports seems good, although saw some occasional pixelations with fast motion. The one thing that I felt was quite notice able was that even though the LCD was 46" and the plasma was 50"... only 4 inches difference... it felt like the plasma was MUCH bigger! When I took a few steps back (about 10-12 feet away from the TV), the 46 LCD looks tiny compared to the 50 plasma.

with a 4" differene, you would only need to move your couch about 1 foot or so closer to the tv to make up the difference.

Quote:
Looks like there's a lot of trade-offs and dilemmas here. I've narrowed it down to these two but they're both quite different TVs. As for the room they'll be in. There will be curtains so I have some control over the lighting but I like to keep the curtains open during the day for sunlight and I do watch football/sports in the afternoon...

hmmm.... needless to say also the LN46C630 is much much lower costing than the PN50C8000. More than double the price for the plasma! I've been saving up for a while now so they're both "affordable" BUT, that being said... even thought I really care about image quality of the picture... getting the smaller one means I have money left over to buy a decent entertainment console and
other things (blu-ray player, sound system, etc.)...

That should settle it for you. Get the C630 and a Blu ray player and if there is anything else left over, get a Receiver and Speakers to go with them. You can get some pretty full featured receivers for under $400 if you look around (start with Amazon.com) and some of the budget priced speakers cost less and sound great. If you like videogames, I suggest a PS3. Frankly speaking, my PS3 is simply the most awesome piece of electronic equipment I have ever owned. I use it on a daily basis for multiple things and I only own 3 games for it. (I intend to purchase more but finances are limited these days)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is online now  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
 
Tbyrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail View Post

So this is the dilemma. Initially, I really wanted a 3D plasma and found some great reviews about the Sammy PN50C8000 (aside from the occasional critique about buzzing noise and image retention). But is it too early to get a 1st generation 3DTV? The other model I'm considering is the Sammy LN46C630. I realize that it's a totally different TV (46", no 3D, LCD 120Hz, no internet, no apps, etc.)

Just wondering if I should go for the PN50C8000 or just get the cheaper but still decent LN46C630 for now and wait a couple of generations for the 3DTV technology to mature and see where 3D is going.... (perhaps there will be more affordable no glasses 3DTV coming in a few years... Sammy already had a prototype that they displayed at the 2010 CES).

Which way do you think I should go???

Neither. Go with UN60C6300.
Tbyrne is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
junkmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne View Post

Neither. Go with UN60C6300.

Nice TV but wayyyy over my budget... it's going for around $2500.
junkmail is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail View Post


Nice TV but wayyyy over my budget... it's going for around $2500.

Don't worry about it. That's the only model he knows and from someone who thinks panny been making LCD for some time. Roughly we already know how much he knows just after an incredible one week of postings.

I agree you should focus on 2D as 3D is still not mature. If you intend to watch 24p movies NATIVE then plasma is a better choice. Otherwise get a DVD that you are familiar with (as in the PQ) and try it on these 2 TVs and see which one scales better (assuming you are aware of the lighting bias), since you are watching SD or broadcast primarily. You are the best judge.
specuvestor is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Tbyrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I still think you should go with the Samsung. Samsung has been making LCD's for years and has the techno savvy to produce excellent HDTV's. Don't worry what he says, coming from someone with an incredible 4 -5 months of postings!

I agree you should focus on 2D. My UN60C6300 is a great HDTV. It's an LED LCD and is super thin. The picture just jumps out at you. Go to a Magnolia inside a BB and you'll be able to see the different technologies at work. Find the HDTV that looks good to YOU! If it's a Plasma, fine. If not, that's okay too! It all boils down to what you prefer. You be the Judge.
Tbyrne is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is the 3rd and last time I am going to respond to you directly

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19462494

It is not about your time in this forum but the content of your posts, if you misread me. I am not the only person complaining that you are spreading untruth here. I don't care if you spout nonsense in general threads but do be more objective when you are advising in purchase threads. We already know that you love your sammy UN60C6300, that you are pretty young both physically and knowledge wise in AV, and you don't care about internet etiquette. I do hope you at least care about accountability when people buy things based on your recommendation. If it fancy you, start a thread about how great UN60C6300 is, on the LCD forum and link others there. At least more info will appear on your thread instead of just sweeping general statements. I have yet to see any detail comparison FROM YOU of your UN60C6300 vs other LED LCD on why people should choose this one vs other LED LCD.

Amazing you can still say "I'm always telling people in my posts to go to a electronics store with a darkened theatre room and see for themselves what looks good. If they hear buzzing or see flickering, then they'll probably go LCD. If they don't like LCD's they'll probably go plasma. Let it be THEIR choice!"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19477698

That's not what I've been reading about your posts. It is always UN60C6300 irregardless of requirement or environment. Do you need links to these as well? But wait I will be just wasting my time because you can do an about face and contradict yourself in the panny thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19474698

You are free to post but do that in general threads and refrain from purchasing threads until you have a more balanced view besides your UN60C6300. (It is possible, I have never recommended a single model in my posts) I do not have as much time as you but I will try to link other people to this post if I see anyone persuaded by your general contentless statements.
specuvestor is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 23,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
stop the bickering please

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
markrubin is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 PM
 
Tbyrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
stop the bickering please
Thank you markrubin. I will. For now on, I will discuss with posters my opinion on the latest tech and not get into arguements. If a poster tries to argue with me, I will report it to a moderator.
Tbyrne is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne View Post
Thank you markrubin. I will. For now on, I will discuss with posters my opinion on the latest tech and not get into arguements. If a poster tries to argue with me, I will report it to a moderator.
You're going to be doing a lot of reporting. Thats kinda what people do around here

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is online now  
post #20 of 20 Old 11-14-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Tbyrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

You're going to be doing a lot of reporting. Thats kinda what people do around here

Yes, but I've been getting into a little trouble around here.
Tbyrne is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off