Sharp Aquos 60" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently looking to buy a new TV. I am really interested in the Sharp Aquos LC60LE810UN. Mainly I watch a lot of sports and movies and don't do any gaming. The TV is going to be in a relatively bright room and the viewing angle is going to vary from dead on to probably about sixty degrees off dead center.

I've been to Best Buy to look at it and it has a far better picture than any of the other sets on display. I'm not sure if the 120 Hz refresh rate will be fast enough to prevent motion blur while watching football and basketball games. Also, I wanted to know if anyone thought that the Quad Pixel Technology was just a gimmick or had a noticeable effect on picture quality.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Google search "HD Nation" and watch episode 73. They review the new sharp and the effects the extra primary color has on the picture.

From what I understand, it does not do much at all, however, I doubt the set is any worse then competitors.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
I've read some reviews that say the extra pixel has a beneficial effect, others that express doubt. All seem to agree that it's a good set in any event, fully competitive with other mid to high range none-3D LED sets. From what I've seen, the 920 might be better in some respects, having the same basic technology in a premium package, but at the moment seems to have an excessive price premium over the 810/820.

As to the speed, the human brain can only discern a maximum of 30 to 40 images per second, so anything over 60 is just marketting hype. Yes sometimes you can see motion imperfections in 60hz sets, but that's only because they are cheaper overall and have inferior image processing hardware.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. In your opinion would I be better off going for the Sharp LED or a plasma for the programming I would be watching and the room conditions I have?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
The plasma vs LCD debate is an endless one. I prefer the latter but it's entirely up to you. Based on what you say, the brightness of the room might argue against plasma, but I think the best thing is to read various threads in the relevant parts of this forum and then browse the stores.

There are no perfect HDTVs, so whatever you buy just enjoy.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
If you decide to include plasma in your shopping plans, you need to find a store where the plasmas are isolated from the LCD sets. Side by side the LCD is always going to be brighter, especially in store mode. The human eye will always be drawn to the brighter screen. In your home, you will more than likely not be in store (Vivid) mode and the picture you look at will be considerably different. I like plasma but know that in an extremly bright room, especially if there are reflections, an LCD may work better.

David Freeman
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page