What will us videophiles be forced to do since plasma is dying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok as we all know the PDP business is dying every year. I have personally watched less and less plasma tvs appearing in stores over the years. Since this display tech is on its way out (probably gone within 3 years), what are us videophiles supposed to buy in the future?

LCD's just look plain terrible period compared to plasma. When plasma goes away what are we gonna do? I refuse to pay for inferior PQ. SO are we gonna be stuck with LCD's to buy? If so, then I will buy the very best last plasma and keep it until something beats it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
OLED maybe
a 5 year wait though.

for something over 50"
post #3 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Why does one have to "buy" anything new? Aren't the old sets holding up at all? I'm looking at an eight-year-old Pioneer. If it makes it to twenty years, it's still here. Keep a backlight on and the blacks look black enough for me.

But anyways....Other alternatives might include (1) Watch less television (a good thing), and/or (2) Acquire a life.
post #4 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post
Ok as we all know the PDP business is dying every year.
We? As in the LCD Section?

Quote:
I have personally watched less and less plasma tvs appearing in stores over the years.
Because LCDs are easier to sell and they make larger profit margins on em. Aside from Pioneer, the manufacturers that have exited the Plasma business actually did the technology a favor (Sony, Philips, Vizio, Gateway, Daewoo, HP, Toshiba, etc) and left us with generally good quality TVs that perform much better.

Quote:
Since this display tech is on its way out (probably gone within 3 years), what are us videophiles supposed to buy in the future?
It's not on it's way out. Samsung officially stated that they plan to make Plasma TVs for at least the next ten years, and both Panasonic and Samsung have invested billions of dollars on new Plasma manufacturing plants. Plasma market share has also increased last year. It ain't goin nowhere anytime soon

Quote:
LCD's just look plain terrible period compared to plasma. When plasma goes away what are we gonna do? I refuse to pay for inferior PQ. SO are we gonna be stuck with LCD's to buy? If so, then I will buy the very best last plasma and keep it until something beats it.
If Plasmas were to suddenly disappear, i could get used to a nice local dimming backlit LCD of some sort. They're still WAY WAY better than the Tube TVs we've all watched from the 50's to the 2000's.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
We? As in the LCD Section?

Because LCDs are easier to sell and they make larger profit margins on em. Aside from Pioneer, the manufacturers that have exited the Plasma business actually did the technology a favor (Sony, Philips, Vizio, Gateway, Daewoo, HP, Toshiba, etc) and left us with generally good quality TVs that perform much better.

It's not on it's way out. Samsung officially stated that they plan to make Plasma TVs for at least the next ten years, and both Panasonic and Samsung have invested billions of dollars on new Plasma manufacturing plants. Plasma market share has also increased last year. It ain't goin nowhere anytime soon

If Plasmas were to suddenly disappear, i could get used to a nice local dimming backlit LCD of some sort. They're still WAY WAY better than the Tube TVs we've all watched from the 50's to the 2000's.

I was wondering how long it would take for you to show up for this thread.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Ok as we all know the PDP business is dying every year. I have personally watched less and less plasma tvs appearing in stores over the years. Since this display tech is on its way out (probably gone within 3 years), what are us videophiles supposed to buy in the future?

How do you know it's on the way out? Last time I was in a bestbuy about half of the panels on display were plasma, although might vary from store to store...
post #7 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd like to add one thing. All LCD's do not look like complete crap compared to plasmas. I own the Samsung un55b8500 and this local dimming LCD set has deeper blacks than every plasma and is about tied with the 9g elite kuro. It also doesn't have the blooming problem many local dimming sets have. Really the only downside of the b8500 is the bad viewing angles which depending how your TV room is set up can be avoided. The shadow detail is also slightly below average but you won't even notice that because the rest of the picture details will be so damn good. This set has an insane amount of pop and depth to the image and colors are so transparent and crystal clear and vibrant. 30,000+:1 ANSI contrast ratio. It's an amazing set. So don't sit there and say LCD is complete trash compared to plasma because LCD sets can be done right and the un55b8500 is honestly about equal to the 9g elite kuro maybe losing by a very very very tiny margin.
post #8 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 View Post
I'd like to add one thing. All LCD's do not look like complete crap compared to plasmas. I own the Samsung un55b8500 and this local dimming LCD set has deeper blacks than every plasma and is about tied with the 9g elite kuro. It also doesn't have the blooming problem many local dimming sets have. Really the only downside of the b8500 is the bad viewing angles which depending how your TV room is set up can be avoided. The shadow detail is also slightly below average but you won't even notice that because the rest of the picture details will be so damn good. This set has an insane amount of pop and depth to the image and colors are so transparent and crystal clear and vibrant. 30,000+:1 ANSI contrast ratio. It's an amazing set. So don't sit there and say LCD is complete trash compared to plasma because LCD sets can be done right and the un55b8500 is honestly about equal to the 9g elite kuro maybe losing by a very very very tiny margin.
Isnt that TV over 5k?......yea....anyways.....sorry but thats not really a PRACTICAL suggestion.
post #9 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 653
My personal feeling is plasma will die, the same time LED will Die. They will both be wiped out at the same time, by a new technoligy.

Pros and Cons to each, but lets face it, more pros with plasma and more cons with LED. Plasma seems to be gaining ground again.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Dont feed the Troll, people.
post #11 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Rogo is away from keyboard throwing his plasma into a landfill, since the technology is doomed. Also, in other news, the Mayans predict the end of the world for next year.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #12 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok as we all know the PDP business is dying every year.

PDP---20% Y/Y growth.

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde...are_surges.asp

Whats the question?
post #13 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

That's the ugly truth.
post #14 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 AM

I would go to OLED for sure. In fact if they were cheaper and bigger today i would by one now. I'm a plasma fan but after seeing a OLED working, it convinced me immediatly.
Maybe in 3 or 5 years we can see in stores OLED tv's 65 Inches at a price of a plasma..i hope...
post #15 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Please explain to the rest of the class why you think Plasma is on it's way out. Especially since Samsung, who's primary focus is LCD, is still committed to Plasma "for at least the next ten years". Exactly why would you say it's on it's way out??

And i don't see how you can refer to yourself as a videophile when you've said the KRP-500M is "terrible" aside from black levels.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20339404

Astounding.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #16 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 View Post

Have you ever owned a Kuro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Rogo is away from keyboard throwing his plasma into a landfill, since the technology is doomed. Also, in other news, the Mayans predict the end of the world for next year.

Ian

post #17 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
plasma out sold led last year in 2010.
post #18 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Have you ever owned a Kuro?

Mailiang I'm not defending him but perhaps you should go look at some reviews of the Samsung B8500....its crazy good. Very comparable to a Kuro which is why the price is so high brand new even 2 years later unless you buy on Ebay or used.
post #19 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

Mailiang I'm not defending him but perhaps you should go look at some reviews of the Samsung B8500....its crazy good. Very comparable to a Kuro which is why the price is so high brand new even 2 years later unless you buy on Ebay or used.

Sigh .....

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #20 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

But, it's, so, cute, and fluffy. I'm going to name it!
post #21 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

I've seen it on display and it's pq is quite impressive. However It would be nice to see these sets compared side by side in a controlled lighting environment. Back in December, Home Theater Magazine compared a Panny VT25 to a Vizo XVT 553SV LCD and they were close, very close in over all black level performance and pq. So I'm not surprised when comparing the best of the best, and this Sammy is a very expensive set, that the differences are even more subtle. Lets face it, when you put out that kind of cash, for that size set, you should be impressed.

Ian

post #22 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

They're still WAY WAY better than the Tube TVs we've all watched from the 50's to the 2000's.

...to the March 2011 for me ... just gave away our last tube to a young new family. I'll miss that 1999, 130#, 27" tube. (and before you ask, yes, I did help the 8month pregnant girl -- err, woman... and carried it to her SUV for her).

Sorry, making light of SUCH a serious concern as this. I should be ashamed of myself. I'm having de'javu of cassette tapes (sorry, a bit too young for 8-tracks).

No Bling
post #23 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I'll worry about that when I'm actually in need of a new TV and if there are no plasmas to consider as an option. Like I always do, I'll set a budget and go after the best picture I can afford. The technology makes no difference to me but at this time for those in need, plasma is still a viable option and when and if plasma ceases to exist the current plasma sets will still work.
post #24 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, it scared 20% growth into people last year! What next?!?!

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #25 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

*sarcasm*
Yes, he is the first ever person to post a sky is falling on plasma meme. First ever.
*/sarcasm*

post #26 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
236 posts in a month? Jesus.....
post #27 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

236 posts in a month? Jesus.....

and not a single reply by him since he started this post. Something is "fishy".
post #28 of 39 Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Oui I agree! It's time to find out what's really behind this thread!

Inspector Jacques Clouseau
Of The Sûreté

post #29 of 39 Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

The OP may have been banned yesterday or put on time-out after blowing up and attacking me and also attacking AVS in another thread.

In reading his post history i'm now virtually positive that the OP is the former XxHoosierdaddy who said he'd just gotten a warning for attacking me, then suddenly disappeared from the forum (most likely banned). His ending date is exactly the same date that the OP joined AVS. They both have the same writing style, same personality, same trolling type of topics and comments, same snide remarks about Panasonic, same anger about Panasonic black levels, same anger towards me, and both ultimately attacked me in the same manner before disappearing from the forum. Too much coincidence there.

Randy
post #30 of 39 Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

He came. He saw. He trolled.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page