Future of pdp is grimm? - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Very telling when someone makes a post defining it was all about "winning", when no one else mentioned that word. Let others have their opinions.

Interesting, you must have missed Auditor55's tidbit that I quoted when I said it's sad that he has to boil this discussion down to winning and losing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

But this is typical around here, cry foul when plasma can't win anymore.

Clearly he was the first to define the discussion in those terms, and I just responded to it. I'm not surprised you turned around and tried to paint it as originating from me, as you only seem to chime in with pleas for equanimity when I'm posting actual facts. But make some BS statement about all plasmas buzzing when they produce their cream/dirty whites, and suddenly you're nowhere to be found. Equanimity, indeed.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

The moderators can close this thread. I didn't start it. But this is typical around here, cry foul when plasma can't win anymore. If I would have come in here and said LCD is inferior and Plasma is still way better, there would be no cries of troll or no calls for the Mods to close the thread.

Part of what you say seems to be true. It's also true that many here will say that the only way you can get a decent and acceptable picture on a TV is to spend gazillions on it plus more to have it calibrated. Yet we know the majority of TV buyers stick with lower to mid priced TV and are fine with them. Even a mid priced TV can deliver a terrific picture and not have to be on the mark for technical accuracy. And if the freely available AVS HD709 disc is used with the accompanying written and video tutorial, there are hundreds or more on AVS who will tell us that whatever TV they have purchased has never looked better!

The clash seems to be when the "everyday" TV buyer meets video purist.
Phase700B is offline  
post #393 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
 
3reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like I said, for a decade lcd fans had to endure the "lcd sucks for PQ" statements from plasma lovers. Which didn't mean the plasma fans were wrong. But now we have serious contenders for the first LEDs to finally beat plasma, which has been a long time coming. Now that the time has come, the fact that plasma fans simply dimiss the thought that an led could be better just because its an led and has normal led problems (like plasma doesnt have any of its own) is laughable to me.
3reach is offline  
post #394 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach View Post

Like I said, for a decade lcd fans had to endure the "lcd sucks for PQ" statements from plasma lovers. Which didn't mean the plasma fans were wrong. But now we have serious contenders for the first LEDs to finally beat plasma, which has been a long time coming. Now that the time has come, the fact that plasma fans simply dimiss the that an led could be better just because its an led and has normal led problems (like plasma doesnt have any of its own) is laughable to me.

Oh I agree. I've owned both plasma and LCD. And before that CRT TVs and several RPTVs. So glad not to have to deal with regular convergence issues. And let's not even talk about color purity (white balance). I happen to prefer the current LCD models I have now also. For me the peak light output of LCD is key and the 10 point ISF calibration on even mid priced LG models is a boon. I also can use the Energy Saving button on the LG remote to cut back light down when viewing in lower night time ambient conditions.

LCDs obviously have appealed to most of the TV buying market. If I had lower daytime lighting conditions and could find a PDP with no screen glare and the other issues you;ve mentioned, I would be there too. But back to the point. It's too bad for the insistence of others to let people have their preference without dogma.
Phase700B is offline  
post #395 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's sad that there's a small group of people who are trying to create an argument that those who are here to educate are trying to oppress the lowly "everyman" who is just here to be happy. If you just want to be happy with your set, you can do that without visiting an informative forum like AVS. If you want useful information and want to actually learn something, that's what AVS is for.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is offline  
post #396 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

I can't speak for others, but I hardly "enjoy" some of the back-and-forth that goes on here. .

HogPilot my friend, this is totally laughable. Has anyone else noticed that wherever there is contention in a thread, he is here to provoke and incite by insisting on dogmatic "facts" and deriding others with personal attack? Sorry, you are ALL about "back-and-forth" in every thread I have ever seen you. And you are the Charlie Sheen of AVS regarding "winning". You never apologize, are adamant, and arrogant in the way you try and convince people of your views. Just because, in your opinion, you use "facts" as you like to call them, doesn't excuse a belligerent attitude.This is/was a general discussion and supposition of the future of PDP that evolved into the inevitable comparisons.

Oh and most people do not really care for added explanations of your reasoning prowess.

Apologies to everyone else. This has been just my observation and opinion.
Phase700B is offline  
post #397 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,419
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach View Post

Now that the time has come, the fact that plasma fans simply dimiss the thought that an led could be better just because its an led and has normal led problems (like plasma doesnt have any of its own) is laughable to me.

Except these plasma fans don't really exist here.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is online now  
post #398 of 398 Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,419
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

I tend to think that Auditor55 and others like him are only here to provoke an emotional response (the very definition of a troll IIRC) because that is what they take pleasure in. Unfortunately many here are all to willing to satisfy him and the like.

As for the never ending repetitive LCDvsPDP debates IMHO everyone needs to consider the following crazy hypothesis : What you like is not what everyone else is going to like. And what you consider a huge problem is what many others have zero issues with and might not even perceive.

Wow that made entirely too much sense on all counts.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is online now  
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off