Plasma Vs. LED for sports viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I recently purchased the 55 in. Samsung UN55D6000SF and have been somewhat pleased with the LED technology. I was thinking of returning it for the Samsung Plasma PN59D550. Reason being that I've noticed a somewhat slowdown of the puck while watching hockey. Its difficult to follow the puck cause it looks kind've washed out due to lag. Sometimes this happens to a football as well. The rest of the picture in terms of colors look beautiful. Another gripe is the "flashlight" effect in the corners.
Am I correct by saying that these issues would be non-issues with the plasma? I understand the refresh rate is 6oo htz as opposed to 120, so I guess the bigger question is how reflective is the PN59D550? It will be placed in a room that has only 2 high hat lights and not much sunlight at all. Do you think this poses a problem? The tv will be used primarily for viewing sports and BluRay DVDs. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting overwhelmed throughout my research process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
Have you tried turning off the auto motion in the led. The d550 is a good set but is very reflective. Me personally if sticking with samsung would go to the d7000 and I also recommend looking at the st30 from panasonic which comes in 55 or 60.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

yes try setting on movie picture mode and make sure motion settings are off. If you still dont like it I have no problem with you getting that plasma. Its a very good picture for the price. Also you wont have to worry about the tv being the slow piece in the chain.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

LCD has some inherent issues, one of which is poor fast motion compared to typical plasma sets. This is most noticeable in fast action sports like the puck motion in hockey. Many plasmas will perform much better in this area, but there are tradeoffs both ways. Your budget also will dictate the performance, with the high end sets performing better.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #5 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

well it is true the high end sets are more accurate, but the model mentioned set in movie mode does very well. The one I calibrated surprised me how well it did for a "low end" model. I watched some planet earth bluray on it and it was great.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 PM

plasma looks better to me
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 PM

Plasma trumps LCD when it comes to motion resolution.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

Have you tried turning off the auto motion in the led. The d550 is a good set but is very reflective. Me personally if sticking with samsung would go to the d7000 and I also recommend looking at the st30 from panasonic which comes in 55 or 60.

Thank you for your reply

Forgive the ignorance but what exactly constitutes "very reflective"? I was under the impression that the new plasmas such as the Samsung D550 have an anti-glare/reflective finish. Do you think I'd run into these reflection issues seated about 7 feet away with very little sunlight and only 2 high hat lights above (which have sliding dimmers)? Dark colored, bare wall behind couch too.
Thanks again for any input.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry317 View Post

Thank you for your reply

Forgive the ignorance but what exactly constitutes "very reflective"? I was under the impression that the new plasmas such as the Samsung D550 have an anti-glare/reflective finish. Do you think I'd run into these reflection issues seated about 7 feet away with very little sunlight and only 2 high hat lights above (which have sliding dimmers)? Dark colored, bare wall behind couch too.
Thanks again for any input.

I don't think that set has the screen treatment but if you turn down the lights I don't think it'll matter on the D550. Try the initial post in this thread for the breakdown on differences in the various 2011 Samsungs...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304494

post #10 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I don't think that set has the screen treatment but if you turn down the lights I don't think it'll matter on the D550. Try the initial post in this thread for the breakdown on differences in the various 2011 Samsungs...[url]

Thanks so much for the link.
I didn't see the screen treatment listed. So the D550 is too reflective even with the lights dimmed?
Thank you
post #11 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Watching auto racing-(F1 and NASCAR) convinced me to go to the Plasma. There's lots of bright colors moving really fast. Good luck in your choice.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 PM

Got two plasma's and being in the Toronto area i watch loads of hockey and NFL football. No problems at all with motion. The only thing it took me a bit getting used to was the full field whites are not and bright as LED, not even close. The other thing i find with plasma is there seems to my eyes to be a lot more depth to the picture then LEDs. LEDs have their strengths, but motion is not one of them and certainly can not touch a plasma.

Would never go back to LCD/LED.

Mike
post #13 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry317 View Post

Thanks so much for the link.
I didn't see the screen treatment listed. So the D550 is too reflective even with the lights dimmed?
Thank you

No, I think that if your lights are set to an appropriate level in an appropriate location, you probably won't have an issue. I've never seen one, though, I have a D8000.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page