Why do alot of people still use their TV speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Poor choice imo, upgrading to 5.1 or at the very least a soundbar should be a must. Does anyone hee use their TV speakes? Why? Whats the point getting HD picture and not High qulaity sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Soundbars are your friend
post #3 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
TV speakers are fine on some sets for secondary TVs like in the bedroom though.
post #4 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM

when I listen to the news, who needs 5.1 then?
post #5 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM

My current Samsung TV has decent enough speakers. I'm looking for a new set this holiday season and I'd prefer to get a set with headphones output so I can hook up a decent set of computer speakers to it if need be....but that's just me.
post #6 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkolop View Post

Yes you do, 5.1 emchamces it
post #7 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

TV speakers are fine on some sets for secondary TVs like in the bedroom though.

I had to put external spkers in my bedroom also, not to push it hard, but precisely 'coz it's at a very soft volume, and tinny spkrs at 10' away no good, so my externals are on my end stands, closer to my ears so I can hear clearly even at low volume, and with decent separation.
post #8 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Why do alot of people still use their TV speakers?

If u go by posts here, 1/2 of the ppl are buying their 1st TV, they spent all their dough on the TV, and you want them to put out how much extra for an audio system? Remember, if you are under 30, you may not have an existing stereo like we geezers have, they younger crowd are all into portables.
post #9 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The average person who buys a TV couldn't figure out how to plug a 5.1 system in and would find the wires and plugs and extra remote controlling going about to be an annoyance.

Chances are if someone buys a 50" 768x1024 plasma or runs an LED LCD in "sun simulator" mode they won't notice sound quality much either. This means most people.
post #10 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

If u go by posts here, 1/2 of the ppl are buying their 1st TV, they spent all their dough on the TV, and you want them to put out how much extra for an audio system? Remember, if you are under 30, you may not have an existing stereo like we geezers have, they younger crowd are all into portables.

That is a very a generalized statement and I for one resent that. Having two 5.1 systems with receivers etc.. And sonos for digital stuff and flac and ease of use for the female. I can't watch a movie without sound. I'd rather have a smaller set than no sound.....
post #11 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

The average person who buys a TV couldn't figure out how to plug a 5.1 system in and would find the wires and plugs and extra remote controlling going about to be an annoyance.

Chances are if someone buys a 50" 768x1024 plasma or runs an LED LCD in "sun simulator" mode they won't notice sound quality much either. This means most people.

Lol.

Regardless of how loud the built in speakers get, they usually sound tinny. Even a real system turned down will sound better because it's an accurate reproduction of sound, and not a tinny, hollow sound.

post #12 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Poor choice imo, upgrading to 5.1 or at the very least a soundbar should be a must. Does anyone hee use their TV speakes? Why? Whats the point getting HD picture and not High qulaity sound?

I haven't used TV speakers in so long I wouldn't even know what they sound like. I have never understood why so many people by big screen TVs for the theater like experience and then resort to crap for sound. That's not theater like. To me the sound is close to 50% of the experience and I have had a 7.1 system for several years now and it makes me grin from ear to ear.
post #13 of 104 Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Every thing I watch is run through my sound system. It would be like saying who needs a 55" TV to watch the news.
post #14 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I really don't know why people use TV speakers. I think it's because 1) They don't allocate any budget towards audio and put it all on the TV, and 2) They are uneducated when it comes to audio, and are even (in my experience as a salesperson) intimidated by it. They think that decent sound has to be big, expensive, elaborate, or all of the above. A soundbar or HTIB is a step in the right direction, but I find that when people do want external sound when they're buying a TV, they view it as an all-or-nothing proposition - I usually direct people to forego buying that 5.1 Samsung 1,000,000,000 watt crapola home theater and start off with a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers, that way they can build their system up over time and end up with something much better in the long haul.

I recently added a cheaper Pioneer receiver and cheap pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers to my secondary TV and think they're pretty great considering what I paid. It gives me real stereo separation, which a soundbar simply can't do as well, a real receiver with lots of inputs, and i'm able to crank it up if i want without feeling like it's being strained. And I can add speakers to it over time if I want.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Silver RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #15 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have a great sound system that I use for movies, TV shows, sports, etc. but it does nothing for news and talk shows, I leave it off for those.
post #16 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Liked: 12
Because my powered sub woofer shakes the whole house (even if turned way down still can feel it and so does everyone else no matter what floor). Don't need some commercial I don't even want to see for that. Now movies that's a horse of a different color. Has nothing to do with whether I have 5.1 or not.
post #17 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have found that even in a back bedroom, a set of powered 2.1 computer speakers plugged into the HDTV headphone jack improves the legibility of speech and the fidelity of music. Nor does the typical 3" to 8" PC subwoofer disturb people very much. Sometimes you have an optical audio output on the HDTV, which works even better, as long as you can set the HDTV menu so that the TV remote volume works.

Like many people, I actually had more than one set of these speakers that I already owned. Even an inexpensive stereo set from a laptop probably sounds better than the 1" diameter, downward-facing or rear-facing internal TV speakers.

Setup is simplicity itself, set the speaker volume level once, then use the headphone volume from the remote after that.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #18 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I have a HTS in my den that can shake my town house if I play it loud enough, but that usually sends my wife running down the stairs to tell me to turn the bass down. I have a Toshiba LCD in the bedroom and surprisingly, it produces pretty good sound.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #19 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Because a lot of people are lazy and figure that tv's built in speakers are good enough.
post #20 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speakers are already part of TV, and give you sound without any additional boxes, wires and what-not. They are CONVENIENT. And considering that most people don't know what a decent speaker sounds like, they find TV built-ins adequate.
post #21 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

That is a very a generalized statement and I for one resent that. Having two 5.1 systems with receivers etc.. And sonos for digital stuff and flac and ease of use for the female. I can't watch a movie without sound. I'd rather have a smaller set than no sound.....

I guess you are one the other half that Mr. Bobb alluded to...
post #22 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I have a 47" full led backlit (not a thin set) mounted in a corner and the built in speakers sound fine that way. I may some day get a sub-woofer (and hide it behind the set) for it but for now, the audio is fine. I used to use a Sony receiver in 5.1 and really like the clean look of no extra speakers.
post #23 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

It's "easier", more wife friendly, uses much less power... I have a $2K+ surround system with a large AV123 sub, and use TV speakers (50PX600U) 90% of the time. For news and most primetime TV, the TV speakers sound as good or better than my system. Why waste the electricity if there are no sound effects in what you are watching? My TV speakers sound much better than my center channel, Ascend HTM-200, (and I do have it all calibrated). If I turn on my system, I have to turn it up way to loud just to hear normal conversations.

Odds are it's the acoustics in my room, but since my Panny sound fantastic on its own, why bother unless watching an action flick?
post #24 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I know someone personally who has made $20,000 profit on a 2 day job (imagine what he makes all year), buys a 55" plasma, and still watches low res DVD's (no Bluray) and even after commenting on my B&W system- "Why does it sound so good?" when demoing Transformers on Bluray is still totally reluctant to buy even the modest of sound system! I said I'd do all the configuring of the system, even offered to sell the same speakers he was in awe over for hundreds less than I paid (even the AVR & Sub), and still uses the TV speakers to watch movies....so sad! He asked me about Bose... That's it! He's hopeless! I gave up trying to convince him to get a decent system!

I offered to do all the work of configuring out the components and hooking it all up.
Money's not an issue.
He was in awe over my system.
He owns a larger house and has multiple rooms to have a "dedicated" system in if he wanted.

What's the deal? DVD's on a HDTV through TV speakers loaded with money with a big house and plenty of room(s) to do whatever you want!?

I know me personally I watch movies to escape reality and everyday life and a great sound system helps greatly to take you into the movie and make it more real! Some of my friends wonder why I wont come over to their place to watch a movie, I'd be miserable, lol.
post #25 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I think it has to do with the convenient factor. But with a universal remote that can everything..

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #26 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

That's the difference, Transformers vs. 60 Minutes.... I watch Transformers "type" maybe 10% of my 20 hr/week viewing. The other 90% the TV speakers sound better. I do have a Harmony remote, and 1 button turns it all on, but I just don't like wasting power (and the TV speakers actually do sound much better for that type show). I'm sure that's not the case for the new thin/cheap sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

I know someone personally who has made $20,000 profit on a 2 day job (imagine what he makes all year), buys a 55" plasma, and still watches low res DVD's (no Bluray) and even after commenting on my B&W system- "Why does it sound so good?" when demoing Transformers on Bluray is still totally reluctant to buy even the modest of sound system! I said I'd do all the configuring of the system, even offered to sell the same speakers he was in awe over for hundreds less than I paid (even the AVR & Sub), and still uses the TV speakers to watch movies....so sad! He asked me about Bose... That's it! He's hopeless! I gave up trying to convince him to get a decent system!

I offered to do all the work of configuring out the components and hooking it all up.
Money's not an issue.
He was in awe over my system.
He owns a larger house and has multiple rooms to have a "dedicated" system in if he wanted.

What's the deal? DVD's on a HDTV through TV speakers loaded with money with a big house and plenty of room(s) to do whatever you want!?

I know me personally I watch movies to escape reality and everyday life and a great sound system helps greatly to take you into the movie and make it more real! Some of my friends wonder why I wont come over to their place to watch a movie, I'd be miserable, lol.

post #27 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Even speech sounds better with receiver.
post #28 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I hate tv speakers with a passion. Im using them right now because I need a new receiver, but I die a little bit inside everytime I watch a movie with those POS tv speakers.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #29 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Because trickle down economics lives up to it name.
post #30 of 104 Old 11-13-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Lots of reasons. Awareness, budget, space, and some people probably don't really care. Not a big deal.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page