What fully realistic 3D looks like - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I wanted to demonstrate the difference between 3D depth in movies vs. 3D fully lifelike 3D depth seen in games. I also wanted to show how 3D's immersive characteristic has potential for practical use by mainstream users and I finally figured out a reasonable way to do it: by using a realistic looking PC game. Having played games using realistic 3D, i think it can be along to a wide variety of, perhaps, non-casual viewings, like when your going to sit down and watch a show on PBS for a solid hour. To get right into it... i mentioned elsewhere that i watched a show on cathedrals that you can watch here if you want.

That show and another show on medieval arches i remember, both featured very nice interior shots in HD. If you've ever walked into a large church or stadium and looked up and went "wow", then you might surprised what full 3D can do to more mainstream TV shows. Below is a video of an old church, taken within one of the most realistic looking games yet, called Metro 2033, to give an idea of the practical benefit and potential of 3D use.

To see it correctly, you'll have to get close enough to the TV to give yourself about a 75 degree field of view. So with a 46" TV, you'd be about a meter from the TV.

EDIT: Iv'e changed all the videos to this one, which has a wide variety of scenery to demonstrate how movies would benefit.

Examples of other content that could benefit from full 3D are shows on cave systems/, scuba diving/sea life, cellular structures, statues, ancient structures, air-craft carriers, flying, climbing, auto/motorbike racing, stunt riding, surfing, etc, etc. There another video with some action too if interested and i'll be uploading more at some point.

To see it, you'll need an internet connection on your 3DTV or load the video onto a usb disk and insert it into the TV. Make sure you have a usb port first. You may also want to turn the TV on and put on motion interpolation or something to warm it up, which should reduce crosstalk.

Unfortunately the detail loss in the youtube video greatly reduces the tangible feeling that HD + 3D has. The original videos were 2GB, compressed, then compressed down to 600mb, then compressed [and annihilated] by youtube.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres another video demonstrating realistic 3D using the very well written game, Mass Effect. Its an older game and the graphics aren't quite as good, but the video is 10 minutes long and gives many more examples of the potential realistic 3D has for scenes in immersive movies.

Unfortunately i didn't have sophisticated editing software to work with and there are no transitions, but this video is has many more types of scenes to give more of an idea about how various scenes in movies might look:

post #3 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
It's difficult to do and hurts your eyes after a couple minutes but if you do not have a 3D tv and/or are viewing this on a computer monitor like myself, you can still get the 3D illusion without glasses. Select your resolution and full screen the video. Position your head center with the screen and decently close (i went 1ft from a 13" screen). Stare at the middle of the screen and then cross your eyes. Try and align up an object from both videos in the center. Once you get them aligned, your eyes will naturally lock and you can watch the video without many problems (except fatigue). Your eyes may undo every now and again, but it's pretty easy to get them back aligned. Voila, 3D.

*Don't do this for longer than a couple minutes
**Not responsible for your eyes getting jacked up

post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I tried playing GOW3 in 3d. total fail for me just couldnt handle it

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I tried playing GOW3 in 3d. total fail for me just couldnt handle it

Total fail for me too, but Gears of War 3 is not a good example of 3D in games because it does not have fully realistic 3D. It uses a semi-accurate conversation process that gives some limited depth at the cost of some artifacts. A few other console games use this method, such as Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Batman: Arkham City.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

It's difficult to do and hurts your eyes after a couple minutes ......

The cross-eye technique is definitely difficult to do, especially at first and moving images don't help. It also doesn't scale the image for you. I've done it here and there enough now where i can instantly focus and move my eyes around the screen, but that took a long time to do.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is another example of realistic 3D that causes your eyes to stare into the scene at proper realistic angles. This time i wanted to show the effect it has on heights and the sense of danger it can lend. I ended up recording more of this game than i intended and the "sense of height" bit is near 6:50 and on...

If a mod wants to move this to the 3D section, feel free.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Here is another example of realistic 3D that causes your eyes to stare into the scene at proper realistic angles. This time i wanted to show the effect it has on heights and the sense of danger it can lend. I ended up recording more of this game than i intended and the "sense of height" bit is near 6:50 and on...

If a mod wants to move this to the 3D section, feel free.

Mass effect looked great on the LG6500 I honestly just played through it a few weeks ago and 2 in preparation for 3.

What exact system are you using because I can imagine the original source would look better.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, the original source looked ten times better. The difference was so great i made a thread about the importance of clarity in 3D presentations. My system is a gtx 570 with a 2600+, but i must run at half resolution, aka side-by-side via Tridef drivers due to HDMI port processor limitations.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 14
The problem with creating video content like this, is you can't give the viewer control over the paralax. Without knowing size of the screen and the distance the viewer is sitting, you (the content creator) can't know the max parralax to use (max must be distance between the viewer's eyes as a percentage of the screen width). If you want to make objects at "infinite distance" (eyes pointed strait forward with no convergence) you need to make the object in each viewport exactly at a paralax equal to the distance between the viewers eyes. Without knowing the screen size and sitting distance, how could you do this? If the viewer has a giant screen and sitting very close, your distant objects may need the viewers eyes to diverge - not comfortable.
Games which are rendered in real time, can give the viewer some control over paralax to make it work for their display size/distance.
Movies offer the viewer no such control, so how would you overcome this, by asking the viewer to sit at a distance according to some sort of calibration screen?
post #11 of 11 Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Because of the power of this response, i've waited an entire year to post so as not to cause any computers to explode!
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

The problem with creating video content like this, is you can't give the viewer control over the paralax.
I think you can. If fact, i now see the user control of the parallax as THE KEY to high quality 3D in the home. I consider myself a hardcore 3D enthusiast, but have not watched a single 3D movie on my home screen, despite it being perfectly capable. This is mainly because i have watched 100's of 3D videos on youtube, including many movie previews and there was very little depth and i didn't really see the point. Recently however, i have discovered the power of the "perspective" setting on the Tv and used it to shift the scene back into the TV, retaining the over-all depth of the scene, but forcing the position of objects to match their size and making the scene look much more realistic and compelling and that is an understatement IMO. I am now a little excited to start renting some 3D movies.
Quote:
Without knowing size of the screen and the distance the viewer is sitting, you (the content creator) can't know the max parralax to use (max must be distance between the viewer's eyes as a percentage of the screen width). If you want to make objects at "infinite distance" (eyes pointed strait forward with no convergence) you need to make the object in each viewport exactly at a paralax equal to the distance between the viewers eyes. Without knowing the screen size and sitting distance, how could you do this? I f the viewer has a giant screen and sitting very close, your distant objects may need the viewers eyes to diverge - not comfortable.
Since the average IPD is 6.5, you can just film with that in mind for at at least most content i would think, because the aforementioned "perspective" settings that i've seen are adjustable outward and inward, ie, they can reduce the parallax.
Quote:
Games which are rendered in real time, can give the viewer some control over paralax to make it work for their display size/distance.
Not only "some" control, but full control. At least of the linear progression between the convergence points of the near and far settings.
Quote:
Movies offer the viewer no such control, so how would you overcome this, by asking the viewer to sit at a distance according to some sort of calibration screen?
Again, by letting users control the parallax, but maybe it would be easier to offer glasses for various viewing conditions and IPD sizes, then the movies could all be filmed with specific 3D parameters. But with glasses-free 3DTVs coming, i think having users being familiar with the need to adjust their 3D films to their viewing conditions using the "perspective" setting on the TV is the best solution.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Metro 2033 Xbox 360 , Gears Of War 3 , Assassins Creed , Assassins Creed Revelations , Batman Arkham City