Sharp LC-70LE632U or Panasonic TC-P65ST30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks like the Sharp LC-70LE632U 70" LED-LCD will be on sale for decent prices this week. I've also seen the Panasonic TC-P65ST30 65" plasma go for about the same price when on sale.

I know Panasonic plasmas have gorgeous picture, I'm still loving the picture on my 5-year old 50" Panasonic.

The main thing I like about the Sharp is it's HUGE! 5" bigger than the 65" Panasonic, I think it's a noticeable difference.

Panny has 3D, but I doubt I will really take advantage of that since I mainly use the TV for HD TV shows and save movies for the front projector in the basement.

Anyone really compared the two?

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I'm in a similar boat and even though I really don't care that much about 3D I figure that I may as well make that jump and future proof my choice. That being said I am bouncing between the 735 and the St or GT 65" Panny.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

On a popular deals site, I got 2 recommendations to get the 65ST30 over the Sharp. Both people seemed to agree the Quattron 732 is much better than the 632 which lacks Quattron, and ST30 is much better than both. One person said he had owned the 732 and returned it for the Panasonic plasma.

Shawn
post #4 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm firmly in the camp that believes that creating a 4th color inside the computer, that does not exist in the broadcast standard, is just more gimmicky marketing, and one more thing to go wrong. If you can't tell I vote Panny....
post #5 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I'm firmly in the camp that believes that creating a 4th color inside the computer, that does not exist in the broadcast standard, is just more gimmicky marketing, and one more thing to go wrong. If you can't tell I vote Panny....

Oh, but the 632 that I'm considering in this thread doesn't have Quattron, so it doesn't have the 4th yellow subpixel and also doesn't have the smoothing technology that somehow utilizes it.

Shawn
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It really depends on if you're going for quality or quantity. While I have not personally seen the 70" LE632, I have seen both the 60 and 80-inch variants in our store, as well as the 70" 732 and 735.

Since it seems like you already have a projector for critical viewing, the superior image quality from the ST30 may be worth less to you than the extra five inches of the Sharp. Since you say, however, that it will mainly be used for watching hd tv shows, I have found that with less than perfect sources, i.e. anything other than a Blu-Ray, the Sharps are noisier and show more artifacts than most LED TVs, let alone a plasma. Panasonic plasmas will show a more pleasing image on a compressed 720p/1080i source due the inherently softer image of a plasma. The Sharps noisier image is probably partly due to the gigantic size of the panel, and I'd assume less than stellar image processing that Sharp uses in the low-to-mid tier sets. When fed a good source the Sharp actually looks pretty darn good, not great, mind you, but pretty good. My only complaint is that they do not handle motion very well; motion handling is improved on the LE735.

The plasma will have basically perfect motion handling, viewing angle, uniformity (although the big Sharps are pretty good about this), and better color than the LED. The LED will be brighter and five inches bigger. I know which I would choose, but ask yourself which aspect you value more.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #7 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I am leaning towards the plasma but I'm lucky enough to have total control over the light in the viewing room. It seems a bit strange that the reviews I've read state that the ST has better black levels than the GT, which has a THX mode. From what I've personally seen I think the GT has a nicer looking body. Also, the top Panny dog, the VT series, can be had for under $3K which puts it also in the 735 price range. Both companies seem to be pretty good to deal with. Maybe a big sale price on any of these could be the deciding factor.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Best Buy to take a look at these, there were no 632s on display anywhere. They did have a 70LE735 sitting next to a 60GT30, and the color and fine detail on the plasma was FAR superior. The 735 was much brighter, but so much so that the colors looked washed out. Flesh tones looked realistic on the plasma, over-saturated and bluish tinged on the 735. They also had a 70LE732 sitting by itself on an end cap as well as the 65ST30. Overall, the LCDs really looked bad, over-saturated and unnatural color compared to the plasmas. It looked like they had the brightness or contrast cranked up so high, all the detail was washed out as well. In fact, this was true of almost every LCD in the store except a few of the really pricey Samsungs did come close to looking as good as the Panasonic plasmas. I'm thinking the LCDs probably look worse in store and great improvements could be made with a few adjustments. Aesthetically, the Sharp is better looking with its smaller bezel, the ST30 looks kind of chunky, but actually looks okay. CNet review made it sound uglier than it really is. VT series Panasonic looked super nice, but almost a whole grand more expensive.

Anyway, not finding the 632 there, I went to Sears and they had a 70LE732 right beside the 65ST30. Same story at Sears, 732 had over-saturated and unnatural color with noticeable loss of detail compared to the ST30 sitting next to it. However, it was significantly brighter than the ST30. Still no 632 anywhere to be found even though their website said they have some in stock. The size difference between 65 and 70" is definitely noticeable.

My wife, who is usually not a perfectionist and was original convinced we should get the Sharp, noticed the same things as I did. We are both kind of torn, the size difference is definitely noticeable, but then so is the picture quality difference. It's possible the LCDs could be adjusted to look better because they appear to be in some kind of "fire mode" with brightness and contrast cranked way too high. Past experience with my Sony LCD is I got it home and it looks way better than in the store, so I'm not completely ruling out the Sharps yet. On the other hand, we tried out the 3D on the Panasonic plasma demo in Best Buy and it's quite cool. Not sure if I'd use it too much, but I feel like 3D is cool enough I might want to have it. I don't feel like going to look at them helped much, it's made us even more indecisive than we were before. It may come down to a really good sale price of either.

Shawn
post #9 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

In all fairness to the Sharp, I've seen a 732 and a 735 in a home setting and the PQ was terrific. Even though I am leaning towards the Panny because I do feel the overall PQ is better I would not consider the Sharps a slouch by any stretch. Either set being watched by anyone in your home will be a super star. I am seeing the VT and the 735 priced in the same general area and the choice is difficult. At least they are two good choices.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread