Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here we go... Help me out here!

Panasonic TC-P42ST30: $650
VIZIO XVT3D424SV: $750
Sony BRAVIA KDL40EX720: $800

I game a lot, so I was nervous about getting a plasma, but the price of the ST30 as well as the size and company are all very exciting factors.

The safer choice is getting an LCD because I'm pretty freaked out about burn-in and image retention. I looked and found the above Sony and VIZIO.

The Sony looks fantastic and I love it, but it's $800. The closest comparison I could find was the VIZIO.

I really don't know what to do. I'd love the plasma sans burn-in, and I'm intimidated by the "break-in" period.
LCD is safer for games and would still be pretty, but it's pricier.

Are there any other TVs out there that can fit my needs? I'd like a 40-42-inch with solid PQ and a great price. "Bang for the buck," you know? Are there any Cyber Monday deals I'm missing out on?

I unfortunately need to do this quickly because I'm moving in two weeks or so and I'd like to take advantage of the price cuts going on right now.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 AM

The Panasonic hands down. I game daily for hours at a time and have yet to see any image retention. But, I would only recommend it if you have a light controlled room because the glare can be annoying.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Liked: 12
I would stay away from Plasma but if you do, go with Panasonic as I've read less troubles.

I'm returning my LG plasma because it's not what it's cracked up to be.

The pros are great color, great off angle viewing, great blacks.

But here's what I found, the screens are so reflective (far worse than a picture tube tv), that a room needs to be dark as reflections can make the TV very hard to view.

Also the image retention drove me nuts. I've never seen this in LCDs. Image retention looks like burn in but it's temporary (thank god) and only lasts for minutes. This really can destroy the picture quality.

All plasma TVs have this and if I knew this, would had never bought one. They are power supply limited so they have a circuit called ABL, auto brightness level, and when there are bright scenes displayed over a large part of the television, the circuit will strobe from dim to lighter then stabilize in it's search to find a brightness that doesn't over drive it's supply. This can also lead to flickering. This is why I am returning my TV as it's to distracting.

I'm going to a LED LCDs which have their own troubles but flickering and strobing drive me nuts but brighter black levels and poorer off viewing angles will not be as bothersome as we have 2 LCD TVs already.

Unfortunately you can't really see the strobing and flickering in the stores as the TVs are flooded by light.

While I'm not a fan of 3D, most of the better sets have 3D and I've found passive to be the best. I didn't initially until I discovered you have to be standing away from the screen at least twice the screen size. Many reviews I've read didn't do this and why they experienced inferior 3D. After I backed up, the picture was much easier to focus on and the 3D image didn't collapse on the off angle viewing as did active 3D. I actually can't stand active 3D. Our friend has a samsung 8000 model and it was very hard to watch. The reason is that there's a lot of flickering and jerkiness involved in the picture that leads to fatigue. The passive glasses are also easier to wear as they are lighter. Each to their own, but out of the 2, passive to me is the better now that I realized that you have to be 2X the screen size, back from the TV.

I finally have settled on 2 TVs that I like, not sure which one yet. The LG 47LW5300 LED TV or the LG 47LW5600.

BTW, my friend and I picked out the Panasonic 50ST30 Plasma for him. He's very happy with it so far so the brightness fluctuations may not be as pronounced in the Panasonic as they were in the LGs.

Good luck in your quest.

Also since you're posting plasmas, you may want to move this question to the flat panel general forum or plasma forum.

Good luck
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjinks View Post

Thanks for the quick response, guys! Yes, I figured this was probably the wrong place, but it was unfortunately after I'd posted it... I feel sheepish...

OldSchool: Thank you for your detailed response! I read up on the FBr issues with the STs, and I hear that Panasonic fixed the problem rather handily, so I feel confident in that arena at least. I hope you have luck in your own search!

I definitely feel that an LCD would be the safest, smartest decision at this point, so I'd like some "bang for the buck" suggestions for some of those. Were I to get a plasma, however, I would definitely go for the ST30.

The fluctuating brightness has not been fixed by Panasonic. People are confusing another fix. What Panasonic has fixed is a voltage issue. As Panasonic Plasmas age, they tried to manipulate the brightness so that they last longer. As they age, they will get brighter in the black levels. Panasonic fixed this brightness issue by alleviating it all together. As far as my research has shown, there is no other brightness fix.

The fluctuating brightness I spoke of is an inherent trait of the plasma technology. Is is needed so that the power supply circuits do not have an overload condition trying to supply to much current. With plasma, bright overall screen require a lot of power that their power supplies just can't handle so they have a circuit that tries to adjust brightness for the overall best picture while not overloading the power supply. I think Panasonic way of implementing the circuit is the best as many say the issue is definitely there, but not as bad as some sets. Also, the sensitivity of an individual set in the same model line can vary. Meaning one can be more noticeable than another, it's a crap shoot.

I've read several complaints of fluctuating brightness in Panasonic threads and Samsung threads. Surprisingly I've read less of it in LG threads BUT some had said that it's more dominant or perceivable in the LG plasmas. I will say that within the first 10 minutes of setting it up, I noticed flickering and strobing brightness that reminded me of the early days of DVD players that had a similar looking defect expecially in the "DIVX"/DVD players pushed and created by "Circuit City Stores".

I just bought and brought home the LG 47LW5600 LED Plus 3D LCD TV. I know this TV has issues as all TVs but I think they will be more livable. I just really want a HD TV that doesn't have the inherent analog noise in an electronic beam fed CRT TV. I also would like the much better geometry in a fixed pixel display.

BTW, the brightness is much much lower in a plasma than even a CRT TV. My LG Plasma set at 80 on the contrast and 53 on the brightness didn't have the white output of my JVC 36" CRT TV set at 50 on the contrast and 45 on the brightness, both on a scale of 100. My sons 32" CCFL LCD has a much higher white output. There tons more 'pop' in the brighter colors or outdoor scenes with the CRT and LCD but the Plasma, as always, has the richest and deepest color pop.

I was able to get the LG 47LW5600 for the same price as the 47LW5300 because of a situation that happened. The manager gave me a great price as a "I'm sorry, we'd like to keep your business" gesture. However Walmart and HHGregg both have the 47LW5300 well under their MSRP by hundreds. The 47LW5300 is basically the same TV as the 47LW5600 but with a 4M contrast ratio opposed to the 5600's 8M contrast ratio. Also the 5300 has less inputs and drops the smart TV functions along with the motion remote. The BD645 Blu-Ray player that comes in the 5300 package is a low end model. It has no smart app features and only has network for BD live and firmware upgrades. Also it only has composite video output and HDMI output so when you would want to upgrade it, you could not use it with higher performance on an older analog (component video input) HD TV. That is why I bought the 5600. The BD645 was to low end and I do enjoy watch YouTube on the TV. I also like having 7.1 analog outputs (that my Panny Bluray player has) so that I can feed DTS Master audio to my Denon AVR-3803 Receiver.

I don't care for Samsung, my father in laws LED LCD 55" had ton of problems, my friends Samsung DLP had rainbow effects right out of the box, and I've seen my fair share of Samsung burnt pixels on other LCD screens. I also noticed their TV screens were more reflective and I was not fond of that.

I didn't look at Sony because of lower refresh rates and no local dimming. Sharp didn't have a lot of selection in the stores in my price range and I tried to stay with the bigger names as I found chinese made sets have inferior video processing with more digital artifacts/noise. Others sets I was just not impressed with. My mom has a 47" LG LED TV and just loves it, hope I made the right decision.

Good luck in your decision.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM

My two main displays are the LG60pv450 and the Panasonic tcp46x3. I game for roughly 4-5 hours at night and have only seen minimum IR on the lg that only lasts for 15-20 seconds and none on the panny.

I did not break in either set whatsoever and play the games in game mode and watch everything else using calibration settings posted in these forums. I literally plugged them in and started using them as normal.

I did notice brightness fluctuation at first on the lg but turning off dynamic contrast resolved that issue.

I had a cheap dynex LCD and a Samsung lns4095d LCD prior to these sets and was always sold on LCD but the motion, input latency, and image quality have turned me into a plasma guy. The only thing I don't like is that LCD is definitely a brighter picture and even with a light controlled room I do miss the extra brightness for day time viewing.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 PM

I think you'll be happy with that choice. The brightness is the only issue I have with plasma along with occasional glare but the pros outweigh those two issues IMO. I got used to the lack of brightness after a couple of weeks and now thorough enjoy the better PQ over my previous LCD hat cost me more than the two new plasmas combined.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM

The brightness fluctuation has nothing to do with the dynamic contrast. We turn this off on all of our TV as it takes away picture detail.

So the PV450 has no dynamic contrast on and it didn't even affect it in the least. It's just as bad with the dynamic contrast off as it was on. I have had all the artificial PQ adjustments turned off as I usually do when I set up any Home Theater for people.

I wish it would had fixed it as that was my main issue (besides the mirror reflectiveness) of the TV.

Really love the new LG 47LW5600 LED LCD TV but normally it would had cost $350 more instead of just $150 more that I paid. Then again it's additional inputs, 3D rendering, smart TV, and motion pointer remote is well worth the difference from my 50PV450 Plasma.

My friend has the Panasonic 50ST30 and really loves it. I set up his home theater as well. It does have a coating unlike the LG, to help with reflectiveness. I haven't did any actually real watching on it in bright scenes so I don't know how the brightness fluctuations are but there are several complaining about it with Panasonic and Samsung as well.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General