LG Makes the panels for all TVs over 52" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rondox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was in a local store looking at TVs in the 55 to 60 inch range and the salesman told me that all the panels for all the major brands are made by LG and sold to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, etc... He said buy the LG because thats what your getting in all the others any way, any truth to that ? Thanks in advance very hard to decide on what to buy Plasma, LCD, LED not like the old picture tube when size was all that mattered...

I'm confused...
rondox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Member
 
SRJbb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many of the panels do come from the same factories but not all from lg. Sharp is a brand that makes its own. Not to belittle any employee anywhere but I have yet to find an extremely knowledgeable salesperson at a retailer. They rarely know more than your average consumer regarding the products they sell.
SRJbb99 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 11-26-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sounds like a case of a salesman trying to push a particular brand (might make a higher profit on that one) and possibly making stuff up to sell it?
The LG panels in reviews get a worse black level than other brands like Samsung and Panasonic even on large sizes - that would indicate that they aren't all made by LG.
Or why would LG give the better panels to its competitors and sell the worse ones under the LG brand?
Joxer is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 11-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Emig5m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJbb99 View Post

Many of the panels do come from the same factories but not all from lg. Sharp is a brand that makes its own. Not to belittle any employee anywhere but I have yet to find an extremely knowledgeable salesperson at a retailer. They rarely know more than your average consumer regarding the products they sell.

Yup, exactly. When I was talking to a salesmen about the return policy on a TV I bought yesterday and told him how I had some dead/stuck pixels on one of my plasma's before and wondered what their policy was on returns for dead/stuck pixels, he abruptly said, "Not on a plasma, that's impossible, plasmas don't have pixels." LOL.
Emig5m is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 847
What do you call 500 sales people at the bottom of the bay?








....a good start.

lovinthehd is online now  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 253
That's not true at all, and he probably gets better commission selling LG sets.

Even if it were true, there is a lot more to a TV than just the LCD panel used.

For example, Sony have been using S-LCD panels (Samsung) for a number of years, yet the image processing is entirely different so the image quality is too.
Last year they used Sharp panels, with far better processing than Sharp ever have in their own TVs. (Sharp make great LCD panels, but not great LCDs)
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-27-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Even if true, there is more than just the panel that determines PQ and overall performance. Filters, for one thing. For plasma, both Panny and Sammy are considered to have better performance than LG (so much for his advice -- he probably has more LGs in stock).
BillP is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 590
"Even if true...."

... and it's not remotely true.

You will find panels over 52" on the market from LG, Samsung, Sharp, CMI, AUO.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondox View Post

Was in a local store looking at TVs in the 55 to 60 inch range and the salesman told me that all the panels for all the major brands are made by LG and sold to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, etc... He said buy the LG because thats what your getting in all the others any way, any truth to that ? Thanks in advance very hard to decide on what to buy Plasma, LCD, LED not like the old picture tube when size was all that mattered...

He makes a spiff on LG.
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Member
 
mirayge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Decatur, IL 62521-1529
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Size has NEVER been all that matters, even in CRTs. There were differant shadow masks, formulations of screen coatings, and beam guns. Then you had more divergence in the electronic filters used. Every display has its flaws, but I just about puke at most taverns trying to watch SD cable on flat screens.
mirayge is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Frank Benign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondox View Post

Was in a local store looking at TVs in the 55 to 60 inch range and the salesman told me that all the panels for all the major brands are made by LG and sold to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, etc... He said buy the LG because thats what your getting in all the others any way, any truth to that ? Thanks in advance very hard to decide on what to buy Plasma, LCD, LED not like the old picture tube when size was all that mattered...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21258893
Frank Benign is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
There was a time (early 60s) when the vast majority of color sets, regardless of brand, actually used complete RCA chassis, and most of those that didn't at least used RCA picture tubes.

I also remember shopping crt based rptvs back in the late 90s and being told they "all used Hitachi crt guns."

I had one 2001 model early production Sony KP57HW40 crt based rptv that had Panasonic guns and a Philips video processor.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 590
"Every display has its flaws, but I just about puke at most taverns trying to watch SD cable on flat screens."

Fixed by avoiding watching SD.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

"Every display has its flaws, but I just about puke at most taverns trying to watch SD cable on flat screens."

Fixed by avoiding watching SD.

Kinda unavoidable when you are at the tavern and that's all they have on.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Kinda unavoidable when you are at the tavern and that's all they have on.

Fixed by selecting taverns that have entered the 21st century. All the sports bars around here have HD.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Newbie
 
jdiz2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung does not use any third party manufacturers and in fact makes most of the glass for desktop monitors, large format displays, laptops, tablets and smart phones.
jdiz2013 is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiz2013 View Post

Samsung does not use any third party manufacturers and in fact makes most of the glass for desktop monitors, large format displays, laptops, tablets and smart phones.

Amazing thread necro. Congrats.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondox View Post

Was in a local store looking at TVs in the 55 to 60 inch range and the salesman told me that all the panels for all the major brands are made by LG and sold to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, etc... He said buy the LG because thats what your getting in all the others any way, any truth to that ? Thanks in advance very hard to decide on what to buy Plasma, LCD, LED not like the old picture tube when size was all that mattered...

That's like saying well since Fiat owns Ferrari and Chrysler, just get a fiat because they own them all anyways. Not all panel are created equal.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Latinoheat is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondox View Post

Was in a local store looking at TVs in the 55 to 60 inch range and the salesman told me that all the panels for all the major brands are made by LG and sold to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, etc... He said buy the LG because thats what your getting in all the others any way, any truth to that ? Thanks in advance very hard to decide on what to buy Plasma, LCD, LED not like the old picture tube when size was all that mattered...

That's like saying well since Fiat owns Ferrari and Chrysler, just get a fiat because they own them all anyways. Not all panel are created equal.

Even if it were true.

ps Why do people believe sales people? IMHO across many products and types of selling, this kind of "fact" from a salesman is worth ***t.

lovinthehd is online now  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiz2013 View Post

Samsung does not use any third party manufacturers and in fact makes most of the glass for desktop monitors, large format displays, laptops, tablets and smart phones.

Seriously? Your dredging up a thead that's over a year-and-a-half old? And your info is wrong. Samsung uses panels, depending on size and use, from two or three different mfrs.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off