Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Yeah, this was a stunning video. And from FedEx no less, which has a normally pretty stellar reputation. (My wife's company uses them for a ton of stuff and has a lot of good things to say.)

The third of fourth time I watched the video, it did occur to me that there's a real chance that box has no monitor in it.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bought a fixer-upper on the Cape this past year right next door to my FIL and gutted it. before I even had paint on the walls I ordered a new panny pdp shipped to my FIL next door. I told him to get me when they came so I could unbox it but my FIL said the driver said no worries its fine. Well after shingling all day I came next door to shower and eat and was surprised the big box was in the middle of the living room. Saw a tear/dent in the box and said oh I don't have a good feeling. Well sure enough glass was smashed to smithereens. At least they replaced it quickly but it was obvious they don't treat them as nice as we do!
post #4 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FedEx and UPS and USPS does this a lot to large packages.
post #5 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yeah, this was a stunning video. And from FedEx no less, which has a normally pretty stellar reputation. (My wife's company uses them for a ton of stuff and has a lot of good things to say.)

The third of fourth time I watched the video, it did occur to me that there's a real chance that box has no monitor in it.

The box did have a monitor in it and it was broken. That's why he posted it. FWIW, FedEx issued a press release claiming, that do due a violation of their safe delivery protocols, the situation with the driver would be addressed.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Customer got a free monitor replacement

http://blog.fedex.designcdt.com/abso...y-unacceptable
post #7 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant99 View Post

Customer got a free monitor replacement

And the driver probably got a reservation at the local unemployment office.

Ian

post #8 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
And u think the forward freighters, the people who ship from the factory to the warehouses handle it with white gloves?

OK this is bad, but u can demonize one company or u can think ways to go around such happening.

1. Pay more and buy local.

or

2. Have shipper specify SIGNATURE REQUIRED or WILL CALL.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #9 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

And u think the forward freighters, the people who ship from the factory to the warehouses handle it with white gloves?

No. But better then the couriers. When I was a wholesaler we rarely received damaged goods from the manufacturer at the warehouse.

Quote:

OK this is bad, but u can demonize one company or u can think ways to go around such happening.

Many people can still buy local and get good deals. I have found that places like Cosco and especially Electronics Expo offer very good discounts. Even BB occasionally has some good sales. My friend picked up a 60'' Sammy LCD for under 8 bills on black Friday weekend and they had plenty in stock.

Quote:

Regardless, if it's broken, they still have to send it back and order a new one.

Ian

post #10 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

or

We have scores of things delivered to our home every year, by UPS and FedEx and OnTrac and USPS. In 7 years at my current home, many of said packages have been left on our doorstep (common in our neighborhood). I can't think of more than an incident or two.

Given the convenience of shopping in minutes at home instead of spending time and gas driving to places and often paying more and receiving inferior service, I'm certainly not going with option (1). And, really, except for the occasional expensive delivery (computer, iPad, etc.), option (2) is nothing but an inconvenience.

One bad apple fortunately rarely spoils the bunch.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #11 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

The box did have a monitor in it and it was broken. That's why he posted it. FWIW, FedEx issued a press release claiming, that do due a violation of their safe delivery protocols, the situation with the driver would be addressed.

Ian

got a link on that .. ??

This video has BS all over it ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #12 of 37 Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

We have scores of things delivered to our home every year, by UPS and FedEx and OnTrac and USPS. In 7 years at my current home, many of said packages have been left on our doorstep (common in our neighborhood). I can't think of more than an incident or two.

Given the convenience of shopping in minutes at home instead of spending time and gas driving to places and often paying more and receiving inferior service, I'm certainly not going with option (1). And, really, except for the occasional expensive delivery (computer, iPad, etc.), option (2) is nothing but an inconvenience.

One bad apple fortunately rarely spoils the bunch.

Here in Jersey you can't be too careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

got a link on that .. ??

This video has BS all over it ..

You mist the post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21381074

Ian

post #13 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Your link is for this thread .. I did not miss anything .. the video is a hoax

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #14 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not fake, there is no 2nd gunman, and the UFO was a recon drone.
post #15 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It has been a couple of years, but the last time I mail-ordered a $400 projector lamp, FedEx "delivered" it over the top of a 7' tall gate that is adjacent to our front door, and it fell the entire distance and onto the brick walkway.

Evidently, someone was expecting such treatment, the manufacturer-boxed projector lamp was packed inside those air pillows inside a much larger box. There was no damage and the optical alighnment of the new lamp was perfect.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #16 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Obviously you are wrong but I am curious how you came to that conclusion? Did you see something in the video?

(And you did miss it since that link is also in this thread before your post)
post #17 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Why I refuse to buy a flat panel on-line and have it shipped!

Are you kidding? Always have it shipped and insured since the responsibility lies with the shipper. I do not want to encumber the responsibility myself.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #18 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.. the video is a hoax

Tell that to the Senior VP Of FedEx US Operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Are you kidding? Always have it shipped and insured since the responsibility lies with the shipper. I do not want to encumber the responsibility myself.

Kal, I know that it's covered, I just don't want the aggravation!

Ian

post #19 of 37 Old 12-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
wow that guy should be fired. thats why i go to the store nd bring home the tv.
post #20 of 37 Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ant99-"FedEx and UPS and USPS does this a lot to large packages."

I am retired from the USPS, after serving for 27 years. All that time I worked at the Dallas Bulk Mail Center processing the parcels destined for all of TX, OK, AR, etc. I never saw anyone "throw" a big parcel. I did see our machinery malfunction, causing damage to a large parcel, but that was NOT a person doing the damage by throwing it.

Small parcels are thrown into small containers, such as hampers and very seldom they are damaged. Why are they thrown? When you have an area with say, 4-6 different post offices and you have hundreds of say, checkbooks, you cannot walk every single parcel to each hamper. If you did, you would be buried under the amount of parcels.

There "might" be a rouge mailman who does not occasionally follow established procedures. But, when you consider the thousands of postmen working for the USPS, I'd say the average is very small indeed! The same holds true for UPS and especially Fedex. I have been doing most of my purchases on-line for many years now, including my iMac, etc. I have never had to complain to anyone about the condition of the products delivered.

Amazon had their problems with the type of packaging when they first started their business. I recall I was part of the team that took digital photos of their packaging becoming unglued at the flaps and losing the books. My reports and those of the other members our our team helped Amazon identify and come up with a good solution to the problem in a very short time.
post #21 of 37 Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

BINGO!

I used to work for one of those freight forwarding companies. It warehoused and shipped product for companies such as Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba etc. They warehoused and shipped all manner of electronics from DVD players to big screen RPTV's.

When we shipped from our warehouse to the retailers, we would stuff a 50' trailer with as much product as could possibly fit in there. And not neatly, oh no. Pallets were forklifted into the trailer to a certain point, then other pallets were broken down and individual boxes thrown...yes, thrown on top of the initial pallets. Then once no more pallets could be put into the trailer, individual boxes were shoved into the trailer, with no protection until there simply wan't room to fit any more. This was a daily occurrence, with an average of about 10 shipments a day meaning while I worked there, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of boxes of product were treated in this manner.

I have seen entire pallets of DVD players, VHS players, CD players dropped, fall over with 72 boxes scattered across the floor, falling from heights as tall as 12 feet...only to have the foreman tell the guys to re-stack the boxes, shrinkwrap them anew and ship them out.

I have seen stacks of big screen tv's knocked over and shipped out anyway because we couldn't hear the sound of glass when we moved the box around.

I'm not exaggerating one iota. And this is only one freight forwarding company out of many that do this sort of thing daily.

And it's not a matter of ordering something from online. Your product ships several times, regardless of whether you order it or get it from the store. The product gets manufactured, then gets shipped to a storage warehouse. Then the product gets ordered and either shipped to a freight forwarder, or to a local temporary storage/warehouse. Then it gets shipped again to get to either the shipping company (FEDEX, UPS, USPS) or to the retailer. The only difference in ordering from online, is that it adds 1 more trip to an already harrowing travel experience.

It's a freaking miracle anything that gets shipped works. Believe me on that one.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #22 of 37 Old 12-23-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Graphite - It all comes down to the packaging. Since none of those boxes are singly hand carried, they MUST be packed to overcome the hairiest of all scenarios.

In the place where I used to work for the USPS, all mail comes in 18-wheelers. They are either palletized or in containers. Some of the pallets come from the mailer singly shrink-wrapped and usually burst open in transit. That's when the parcels have to be "thrown" on top of the other pallets. Whenever we have a mailer whose mail keeps opening, we take photos and report it to our leaders who in turn contact the mailer and advice them that their packaging is not meeting standards. The longer it takes us to process the mail, the costlier it becomes and the longer it takes to deliver.

It must be remembered that all of those packages are at one time or another machine processed. In other words, no one is touching the mail until it gets to the final destination or next to the final destination. Those parcels that break open must be fixed by us, costing us time and delay in delivery.
post #23 of 37 Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I started this thread, let me say that I use courier services all the time for all sorts of goods and rarely have a problem. Most of the drivers even know me on a first name basis. However, I prefer to buy my TV's especially if they are plasmas from a local store and I do check the merchandise before I take it home. Not every body has that luxury, and if I found a super deal on line, I'd probably go for it. The VP of FedEx operations pretty much had it pegged when he said that these sort of cases are isolated and their reputation speaks for itself, but I also believe there is always room for improvement and the video and this subject should still be addressed.

Ian

post #24 of 37 Old 12-24-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Also Lots of Brick&Mortar retails SAY they will match Internet prices so TRY THEM!

They may still make u pay the local tax however, but hey BARGAIN.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #25 of 37 Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

However, I prefer to buy my TV's especially if they are plasmas from a local store and I do check the merchandise before I take it home.

I prefer to buy locally and still have the store deliver to insure that I can check the merchandise at my home! I trust myself more than a delivery guy but, if he screws up, it is his problem. I had a plasma delivered to my home by the sales VP of a plasma company and the screen was cracked when it was unpacked. As I said, it should be the seller's responsibility to deliver the product in perfect condition to my home.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #26 of 37 Old 12-24-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

As I said, it should be the seller's responsibility to deliver the product in perfect condition to my home.

Couldn't agree with you more Kal.

Regards,
Ian

post #27 of 37 Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not even the USPS is immune to this kind of behavior. I guess this mail carrier didn't see the FedEx story!

Ian

post #28 of 37 Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
During this past Christmas, my wife and I were in the house and heard this loud noise on the side of the house where there is a door. After investigating we found that the UPS drive had made a delivery. From how loud the sound was though he must have slammed the darn box down. The contents of the box weren't damaged but could have been.
post #29 of 37 Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
And you think big box companies treat their stuff any better? I used to work as an unloader and I actually have a picture of a 60inch Sony (online to store pickup order) sitting in a pile of stuff upsidedown and as we moved the stuff away from it digging it out it fell over, it had no support at all, just suspended in random boxes. (it was returned by the customer) I have dozens of other similar stories from the year and 10 months I worked as an unloader. (like the 32inch catapult that a warehouse worker built into the wall of freight (almost hit me in the head), or the 46inch Sony bundle avalanche (one was crushed under the guy, the others were on top of him, and yes, we sold the crushed one)

Luckily most companies have a liberal return policy, so even if the screen is shattered they take it back, but with online deliveries, you get to do all the checks you need to before you sign on the line and let the guy go.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #30 of 37 Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

When it comes to home delivery...s@!t can happen!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page