post #721 of 862 Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

That's what I'm looking forward to seeing, the 4k resolution OLED TV's. I just wonder how long it will take for the movie industry to catch up and to start releasing the movies? Will it even still be in Blu-Ray format for that matter? Additionally I'm not sure our current pipeline in the US can even deliver 4k content under it's current condition? That is without compressing the heck out of it to the point distroying it like they currently do with 1080i content now. In fact i'd think the next logical step should be broadcasting 1080p content correctly before attempting to do 4k content, otherwise what's the point? cool.gif

It should not be too difficult a challenge for companies to develop 4K Blu-ray players that could upscale 1080P discs to show them on 4K panels, once such displays become available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 862 Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

It should not be too difficult a challenge for companies to develop 4K Blu-ray players that could upscale 1080P discs to show them on 4K panels, once such displays become available.

They did the same thing with DVD's on Blu-Ray players and it wasn't very impressive. cool.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #723 of 862 Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:

They did the same thing with DVD's on Blu-Ray players and it wasn't very impressive. cool.gif

Thousands of breathless posts here at AVS would disagree.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #724 of 862 Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

The new Sony BDP-S790 can already upscale to 4K res, provided a 4K projector or display is connected to it. Obviously it can't play native 4K content, but still.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #725 of 862 Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Thousands of breathless posts here at AVS would disagree.

I do notice an upgraded difference and it's indeed a welcome thing. However with that said I wouldn't have been happy to see a slower distribution of Blu-Ray content in favor cheeper up-converted DVD's. I just hope the new 4K discs are made widely available very soon after the release of the 4K technology. If not I might just end up waiting awhile before jumping into the 4K market I'm not sure, I suppose I'd have to see how well the up-conversion from Blu-Ray content looks on a 4K rez display. cool.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #726 of 862 Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do notice an upgraded difference and it's indeed a welcome thing. However with that said I wouldn't have been happy to see a slower distribution of Blu-Ray content in favor cheeper up-converted DVD's. I just hope the new 4K discs are made widely available very soon after the release of the 4K technology. If not I might just end up waiting awhile before jumping into the 4K market I'm not sure, I suppose I'd have to see how well the up-conversion from Blu-Ray content looks on a 4K rez display. cool.gif

I have begun to wonder if film studios will even continue to turn out many films in the Blu-ray format for much longer, as the download options from Netflix, Amazon etc reduces the demand for actual disc copies.
post #727 of 862 Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Probably the quality of the upscaler to 4K chips built into the 4K displays will be as good as the upscalers to 1080p built into the top of the line 1080p models today so the ability for BR player to support 4K upscaling may not be a requirement.
post #728 of 862 Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have begun to wonder if film studios will even continue to turn out many films in the Blu-ray format for much longer, as the download options from Netflix, Amazon etc reduces the demand for actual disc copies.

It doesn't look likely any time soon. Nowadays many of the biggest-earning new releases get close to, & sometimes more than, half their first-week revenue from Blu-ray. And it's growing. Digital sell-though for both SD and HD combined is puny; virtually all revenue from DLs are VOD or forms of rental.

Moreover last time I checked BD is growing at a faster pace than all forms of digital.

Situation is that digital is eating into physical disc rental and barely touching disc ownership. Unquestionably the staple of the home video business, purchases of new releases of mainstream Hollywood films, is moving to Blu-ray.

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
post #729 of 862 Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 152
According to some "advertising documents", the LG OLED TV will arrive in Australia in October and cost $10,000 AUD.

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/428569/lg_oled_tv_will_cost_10_000/
post #730 of 862 Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

LG WORKING ON 60" 4K TRANSPARENT, FLEXIBLE OLED

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1341318468

"According to Korean newspaper DDaily, LG is developing a 60-inch transparent and flexible OLED panel with 4K resolution. LG has received $55 million USD in funding for the project from the Korean government; a project that is said to be announced next month.................................
post #731 of 862 Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

A sign that the shipping date for the product must be drawing near.

"LG launches an OLED TV ad campaign"

http://www.oled-info.com/lg-launches-oled-tv-ad-campaign
post #732 of 862 Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked: 10
ok

Bart
post #733 of 862 Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
LG OLED TV wins the EISA European Display Achievement Award:

http://www.lgblog.co.uk/2012/08/lg-oled-tv-selected-best-display-product-in-europe/
post #734 of 862 Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem I have with the award judges decision is; while the LG OLED makes sense, they have put their judgement in doubt by giving that award to the LG LED Nano panel. It has been almost universally panned by reviewers for not living up to the claims that LG made for it, and it certainly does not fit the description that LG is still pushing in that release.

"LG CINEMA 3D Smart TV provides noticeably more immersive 3D experience and NANO FULL LED ensures uniform light distribution, detailed local dimming,"

Reviewers say that it performs rather poorly in those categories with mediocre black levels, which makes LG come across like they are not to be trusted with their product performance claims. HD Guru recently called them out for lying about providing real 120Hz on one of their LED models, when it does not, even after LG pushed out a software update to him to supposedly fix it.

That is why I am now not about to take their performance claims on even the OLED panel as being factual, and will wait to see how it performs in the real world. LG needs to knock off their greatly exaggerated claims about how their panels perform, or they will become a laughingstock among consumers.
post #735 of 862 Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
New promotional video from LG UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehAjO1R0BIw

It seems that the model number has changed from 55EM960 to 55EM970. The number is higher, so it must be even better than before wink.gif.
post #736 of 862 Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nothing new in that promotional video other than the model number, which may be because it is for the European Market.

I'd just like them to ship some of these, somewhere, so that someone can buy one.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #737 of 862 Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 152
LG OLED TV site is up. It looks like there will be three separate designs.

http://www.lgoled.tv/index.html
post #738 of 862 Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
OMG, that thin floor stand looks like an accident waiting to happen!LOL................
post #739 of 862 Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I'd just like them to ship some of these, somewhere, so that someone can buy one.
You ain't alone...reminding me more and more of Switch's lack of product delivery.
post #740 of 862 Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
that floor stand looks awesome.

i'd still likely mount one but that stand can work very well in certain enviroments.
post #741 of 862 Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

LG OLED TV site is up. It looks like there will be three separate designs.
http://www.lgoled.tv/index.html

Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You ain't alone...reminding me more and more of Switch's lack of product delivery.

Man, Switch frustrates me more than OLED. I have a fixture that is impossible to change the bulbs in (because of its height) and a lamp we use daily... I've been waiting for about a year to put Switch bulbs in them. And it'll be at least another 6-12 months before I can do it.

post #742 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall LG having committed to have their brand new first generation large OLED TV displays in stores by know. Anyone who expected them to be were just jumping to conclusions without anything to base them on.

They said they would ship some in the second half of the year. They will do just that. They are only going to turn out a small number of them this year, and since it is very costly for them to manufacture them, they would be foolish to rush them to market before they are sure that they are working without a lot of defects. I never intended to purchase a first gen. unit anyway, so not having them available already is something that does not bother me, and only those who are ready to pay what ever they cost, as soon as they are shipped, should be acting like kids who can not wait for Christmas.
post #743 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
OK, dad. That's good for you (I can't afford one anyway, but the longer it takes to be unleashed the longer it takes to reach an affordability parity for most). I love the Kuro I still own, but it's a power hog by today's standards, so I'm eager for them to get this show on the road. I'm doubly interested to see if this will effectively be the Kuro killer that so many owners have been waiting for. Do we really need to pull up all of their public statements dating back to at least CES? I don't think it was pure speculation that they would have a few available for sale by now, but that could be my imagination.
post #744 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't recall LG having committed to have their brand new first generation large OLED TV displays in stores by know. Anyone who expected them to be were just jumping to conclusions without anything to base them on.

Lord, bring out the revisionist history. We had people here telling us that they'd be out for the Olympics. Many of us said, "No freaking way" but the posts are still on the forums, if you'd like to go read them.
Quote:
They said they would ship some in the second half of the year. They will do just that.

They might. They have about 110 days left to do that (there are about 137 days left in the year, but if the sets aren't shipping by Dec. 1, they aren't shipping this year). When some of us explained that even the 200K forecast for total OLED TVs from DisplaySearch seemed hard to do/aggressive, again there were people ready to smack that down. It now seems like we were insufficiently skeptical. At this point, I very much doubt there will be 100K units.
Quote:
They are only going to turn out a small number of them this year, and since it is very costly for them to manufacture them, they would be foolish to rush them to market before they are sure that they are working without a lot of defects. I never intended to purchase a first gen. unit anyway, so not having them available already is something that does not bother me, and only those who are ready to pay what ever they cost, as soon as they are shipped, should be acting like kids who can not wait for Christmas.

My interest was never in this year's sets for purchase. It was in this year's sets existing, period. Because without them, next year's sets are the first ones. The learning curve is a tricky beast. He needs production to feed him. The sooner you can feed him even some appetizers, the sooner you can think about feeding him some main courses.... Every day that the TVs don't ship is a day that can't be made up on mainstreaming them. I know there are people that don't get that. "They'll just speed up production later." No, it does not now and never has worked that way.

post #745 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Clearly Rogo can not tell the difference between statements from LG and comments and predictions made on here by people who did not speak for LG but were merely making wild predictions based on no inside information; something Rogo himself has had a history of doing in the past about when Large OLED displays would finally become a reality.

He is the one who likes to engage is historical revisionism, and appears to suffer from a bad case of selective amnesia.
post #746 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

"LG'S 55" OLED-TV TO LAUNCH IN MAY FOR $7,900"

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1332831891

"According to the interest group OLED Association LG is moving fast to get a head start in the new OLED adventure. The original launch schedule was “second half of 2012”. Later it was reported that LG aimed to have the TV ready before the Summer Olympics in London (in July).

Citing a Korean newspaper, the OLED Association now says that LG plans to introduce the 55” OLED-TV at the Cannes Film Festival that runs from May 16 to May 27. The OLED-TV will cost 9 million Won – or around 7,900 USD, according to the sources.

LG is reportedly hoping to become the leading OLED-TV manufacturer. Samsung is also planning to release a 55-inch OLED-TV this year.

Update: An LG spokesperson confirms to Maeli Economy and says;

- “LG Electronics decided to arrange the launching event of its 55-inch OLED TV during the Cannes Film Festival period from May 16 to 27,” an LG official said Thursday to Maeli.
- “Starting in Europe, the company plans to advance marketing activities of its OLED TVs worldwide”

- Source: OLED Association, Maeli Economy"

I copied this post from earlier in this thread. As I remembered, there were lots of websites and articles supposedly saying LG was going to do something in the first half of 2012, but officially I believe they have always said 2nd half.
post #747 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Clearly Rogo can not tell the difference between statements from LG and comments and predictions made on here by people who did not speak for LG but were merely making wild predictions based on no inside information; something Rogo himself has had a history of doing in the past about when Large OLED displays would finally become a reality.
He is the one who likes to engage is historical revisionism, and appears to suffer from a bad case of selective amnesia.

Really? I haven't deleted a single post from what I've said in the past. They are all there to find. In them, you'll find every single skeptical post I've ever written on the topic. Not a single one of them has been proved wrong yet. Not one. There is no production from anyone, no evidence of Samsung 8G even existing, let alone producing, no evidence of the higher end of the cap ex forecasts (in fact, there is evidence of cap ex reductions) etc. etc.

Now, when the first 55" OLED TVs ship, there will certainly be posts that contain predictions that are wrong. That said, mostly the posts will remain correct. The skepticism will remain warranted. The reality of OLED TVs will remain "barely existent". But I'm fairly sure there is a post out there that calls the possibility of a TV this big even as soon as next year nothing short of unfathomable. And I, for one, believe there will be 55" OLED TVs in 2013 from both LG and Samsung.

Oh, and I can completely tell the difference, Greenland. My backhanded swipe in the above post is directed at the comments and predictions made here, not at LG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

I copied this post from earlier in this thread. As I remembered, there were lots of websites and articles supposedly saying LG was going to do something in the first half of 2012, but officially I believe they have always said 2nd half.

Not just lots of websites, but breathless reposts of them here. In the meantime, we are 48 days through the "second half" and there are about 110 days left before there won't be any time left to ship in "second half" at all. So there is absolutely, positively plenty of time. But it's ticking.

I also tend to believe there is actually a close to 0% chance of anything shipping before IFA, which is in 14 days and ends in 19 days. So realistically, we are talking about 67 days elapsed and 91 days remaining by the end of IFA. Still plenty of time to ship something. Precious little to ship very much.

Still, it's not as if LG has made no progress. It appears that the final cosmetics / industrial design are set. It also appears that DisplaySearch has enough insider info to know that yields are still awful, even for LG. Samsung's yields are almost certainly far worse, because of their production method, not their skill.

post #748 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

They carried out those marketing promotions at Cannes, and did not provide a shipping date even then; so I still say; speculation is fine, but it is absurd to then attack LG for not having shipped by a set date to meet the time lines tossed out by those who were merely speculating.

This could well be a make or break flat panel roll-out for LG, and they are attempting to pull of something that just twelve months before no one even expect from them. They have to take their time and get it right the first time, regardless of how much that frustrates those who are not going to buy one of the first generation anyway.
post #749 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And as for my selection amnesia, here's a post of mine from 2002:
Quote:
I want to note that industry experts can be wrong at times, but are rarely so grossly wrong in their forecasts of reasonably continuous technology development and adoption. With that caveat, I wish to have this post serve as a "reference post" for anyone who comes anywhere near here explaining they are buying an OLED display anytime soon.

According to Display Search, nearly half a million plasmas were shipped last year and by 2005, PDP module revenues are expected to rise to $4.4 billion. Capacity to make plasma panels is more than a million panels per year in existing industry capacity.

According to Stanford Resources, the market for OLED displays will be $112 million for this year and $736 million by 2005. The firm predicts LCD displays will generate $27.7 billion in revenue this year and $43.3 billion by 2005.

OLED displays already existing, in the 1-3 inch diagonal size range. Although Stanford doesn't say, it is reasonable to conclude that 99% of the $ value of OLED displays shipped in 2005 will be <15". The reason I say this is because the only existing manufacturing for OLEDs (in 2002) is for panels <4". OLED manufacturers are currently targeting the cell phone market and eventually the laptop market.

If you wish to argue that somehow, 10% of the OLED market in 2005 is going to be in large screen displays, you are entitled to that opinion (which I believe is dead wrong). That gives you $75 million in large screen displays. Plasma, at $4.4 billion, will represent a market 60x larger.

The $75 million divided across an OEM price of $2500 (which is impossibly low, but I'm in a generous mood) means there will be 30,000 OLED large screens shipped in 2005, or 1/15 as many plasmas as shipped last year.

It is hard to fathom how a technology could be less relevant to your home-theater purchasing decisions that OLED. I actually believe that no manufacturer will even try to build a plant for 40" OLEDs until 2006 or later and that 42" plasma displays will retail for about $1500-1800 in 2005, ensuring that OLED doesn't make any mark in home theaters until the next decade. In other words, I believe there will be fewer than 30K OLED large screens shipped through 2010 (no new display technology other than plasma has actually reached commercial critical mass since the advent of the TFT-LCD). But if you wish to be optimisitic about OLED breaking every known law of manufacturing, you can still ignore it in your purchasing decisions.

I close with this quote from Paul Semenza of Stanford Resources: ""It's ludicrous to think that (OLED) will take over LCD in the short term."

End rant.

Mark

Or another one from 2004:
Quote:
From Kimberly Allen, director of technology and strategic research at iSuppli/Stanford Resources: "By the time OLED TVs of any large size reach the market in five years, LCDs and PDPs will be even more advanced," she said, as will digital light projectors and other projection systems. "OLED will be a competitor, and maybe a strong one, but it is not going to take over the market in the TV space."

I have been -- for a while -- suggesting that OLED won't matter in the TV market until decade's end. It's because of information like that above, which is current info. It comes from a report on Philips' nifty work in polymer OLEDs, the emerging variant of OLED that currently is far behind the more common small-molecule OLED. Polymer OLED is the one that >>might<< be cheaper, >>might<< be able to be "printed", >>might<< allow flexible, roll-up displays.

It's super cool stuff, it's just not going to effect your and my purchasing decisions between now and the Beijing Olympics.

Mark

I love the part in that one about the Beijing Olympics... So ironic.

Another post from 2004:
Quote:
I'm including an article that appeared on pcworld.com -- in part -- with some comments....

What Does the Future Hold for Flat TVs?

Seiko Epson will commercialize OLED TVs by 2007, the company says.

Paul Kallender, IDG News Service
Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Seiko Epson is on schedule to commercialize OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) screen technology for televisions in 2007 but some significant research issues remain, a company executive says.

Oh, yes, they are indeed significant.

OLED screens produce pictures that proponents say are extremely bright and crisp compared to those shown on PDP (plasma display panels) and LCDs, the main technologies that are used for today's large flat-panel TVs. Another advantage is that OLEDs should be cheaper.

In some theoretical world that doesn't appear to exist -- even come 2007.

However, at present OLED panels don't last long. The company's tests show that its panels last about 2000 hours when switched-on, according to Shoichi Iino, a general administrative manager at the company. Epson's engineers are trying to develop longer lasting versions, he says.

Epson hopes the 200 engineers it has assigned to the project will succeed in lengthening lifetime to make panels that work for 10,000-hours, according to Iino. That should be long enough to make them commercially acceptable, he says. Earlier this year, the company set a goal of launching a TV using a 40-inch OLED panel in 2007.

Acceptable to whom? To the kind of people who worried about 30,000-hour plasmas and will have had years to get accustomed to 60,000-hour plasmas and LCDs -- or even longer-lasting ones as LED backlights should give LCDs 100,000-hour life by then and it wouldn't surprise to see plasma get up there too.

The initial goal is to double the current OLED screen lifetime to 4000 hours by mid-2005 and reach the 10,000 hour mark by 2007, Iino says.

But development doesn't stop there. Later in 2007, the company aims to boost the lifetime to provide about four hours per day of viewing for 360 days a year over 10 years, or about enough for nearly 15,000 hours of viewing. The company plans to double this lifetime again by around 2010.

So by 2010, they'll have a TV that's good for about 10 years of life in a U.S. home. I'd call that a minimum point of an entry for a new technology now. By 2010, it might not be good enough. As for 2007, there is simply going to be zero market for TVs that have such a short lifespan. The LCD and plasma guys will see to that.

Epson estimates that OLED TVs will cost a bit less than PDP or LCD TVs of the same screen size in 2007. The reason is that OLED panels will be simpler to make than LCDs or PDPs, according to Iino. Unlike LCDs, OLED panels do not need backlights and filters, he says.

Cost to whom? Not to end users. They'll be needed a new TV by around 2010, so any "savings" will be short-lived.

I had gone out and put the Introduction of Important OLEDs at around 2008. It appears that was optimistic if Epson's effort represents the state of the art. It doesn't appear that OLED will be particularly competitive even come 2010, although I'd guess its inroads could occur sometime around then.

Keep in mind the landscape that is forming for OLED to compete with:

* At least three technologies, PDP, TFT-LCD and SED... Quite possibly FED/NED displays from Samsung and/or Sony and/or others.

* Display lifetimes that might be 10x what OLED offers assuming a 2007 intro date.

* Price competition that will make it harder than ever for any new technology to be introduced at anything near an appealing level. It's already going to be challenging for SED to square off against PDP and TFT-LCD. Imagine how much harder the challenge will get. Consider these scenarios that aren't even particularly aggressive...

42-inch ED plasma, major brand
...Today --> $3000 at retail
...2007 --> $1500 at retail
...2010 --> $800 at retail

45/46-inch LCD, major brand and 50-inch plasma
...Today --> $8000 at retail
...2007 --> $3500 at retail
...2010 --> $2000 at retail

The price for both technologies will ultimately reach some kind of bottom before OLED has an opportunity to gain much traction. But the bottom is as likely to be dictated by fundamental fixed costs like distribution, retail markup, profit margin as it is by cost. OLED will have all those too.

Because disposable TVs are unlikely to gain market acceptance for any number of reason (e.g. pain in the neck, environmental concerns, et al.), I am struggling to imagine what OLED is going to offer to take on the "big two". Keep in mind that both will almost certainly offer 1920 x 1080 and 10,000:1 contrast.

Technologically, I love OLED, but marginal improvements in thinness are not going to cut it. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in time. But it's at least another quadrennium before we'll get to care.

Mark

So do me a favor when you decide to bash me -- by name -- for absolutely no reason. Take about 2-3 seconds to consider I've been following this technology for more than 10 years. It's been promised to us as being right around the corner since at least 2002. In the entire ensuing decade, we've gotten an 11" Sony that was $2500 and was on the market a few months and a 15" LG that no one ever proved was on sale in the U.S. (although it was sold in Europe where it was so unpopular it was on closeout sites for a long, long while after production ceased).

That's the history of OLED television in the flat-panel era.

Incidentally, in 2004, I was laughably pessimistic about the pricing for big LCDs and plasmas. You can buy a 60" in either technology for the $2000 I hoped would get you a 45-50". What I didn't find in this search I just performed -- I'm not sure why, but someone who could help and PM me the right post links (please PM them rather than post them), is the post where I'm pretty sure I say, "you are not going to see these jumbo OLEDs in 2012 or 2013." It should be there somewhere from 2010, but AVS doesn't return it on a search of "rogo" and "OLED" or the problem is it doesn't return individual posts to me, I have no real idea. Maybe it's only returning my threads, not my posts? Is that a limitation of the new forum software? If so, that blows..... I suspect those posts were borne largely out of a decade of frustration with broken OLED promises (and broken SED promises and broken LCD promises of larger sizes to be honest). But they exist, and I'd love to review them in context to add some updates and color to them.

Finally, this post comes from April, but it's specifically in reference to Samsung:
Quote:
According to the article, they will be "disclosing features, specs, and prices" at the IFA show in August/September, which is exactly what was said a week or so ago. Given that product pretty much never actually ships coincident with "disclosure of features, specs and prices" at trade shows, there still seems to be no possible way anything is available ahead of Q4 and a reasonable possibility nothing is available at all from them in 2012. Or at least not many units.

I was "informed" immediately after that post, it was most certainly wrong. And I acknowledged that if it was, that would put me down to 95% accuracy. Well, here's what we know: (1) Samsung hasn't shipped yet (2) Samsung will have less than 4 weeks to ship after IFA to make it into Q3. If they fail to ship in Q3, the above post is correct. Not a little correct, correct. I don't say they "won't ship in Q4", I say, in April, they might not ship in Q4. Now, if they don't ship in Q4, either, the above post looks even better because it's not just "correct" it's "prescient". But there's no ESP at work here. There's months before we cross that bridge, of course, but only weeks before something I was told was certainly wrong might well move into the "correct" column.

post #750 of 862 Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That LG OLED website doesn't show and power or cable connection on the back. How do they get power and signals to it?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Displays , Samsung Bd C8000 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony , Pioneer
Gear in this thread - C8000 by PriceGrabber.com