OLED TV vs LED TV, pros and cons? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA; View Post

Here is a very good review of the LG 15EL9500. It has an outstanding picture quality. It has also an better viewing angle than Sony´s OLED-TV´s (it´s more a Sony problem). From the start OLED will be much better in picture quality than Plasma and LCD!

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1289487180

The LG 15EL9500 is a tiny OLED. One of the OLED problems has always been making them in bigger sizes.

Plasma and CRT have better viewing angle than OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor; View Post

^^^ correct... we have to correctly identify what is inherent to the tech and what is an implementation issue.

For eg 8mile13's link to this article talks about black crush and white clipping. That is not an OLED issue. That is a Sony issue

There was one comment which pointed out that the PVM was not a grade one monitor so its probably a problem with the cheaper versions, kind a like buying a $500 Panasonic Plasma instead of a $3000 Pioneer Plasma
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalEd View Post

There's way too much speculation and guessing posing as fact here. Try some reality by reading what's real about OLED tech and LG's upcoming OLED TV at:

http://hdguru.com/us-version-of-lgs-...t-photos/6945/

Looks like I should replace AVS with hdguru in my home page

We have been talking about LG 55" OLED since last week and speculating about it since October in the OLED thread. Just saying.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

No. OLED has the best motion handling of all flat panels. They can implement without problems 240Hz + Dark Frame Insertion at the same time to reduce sample and hold and flickering to zero!

IMHO frame interpolation doesn't work and I doubt it ever will be sophisticated enough to satisfy the most demanding enthusiasts (like me).

I hope they can make motion better with BFI. On the other hand, OLED displays are dimmer to begin with (compared against LCD/LED) and it's not entirely sure whether they're equipped with APL circuits to cut down energy consumption and heat production. And like we already know, BFI will reduce the brightness.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collusion View Post

IMHO frame interpolation doesn't work and I doubt it ever will be sophisticated enough to satisfy the most demanding enthusiasts (like me).

I hope they can make motion better with BFI. On the other hand, OLED displays are dimmer to begin with (compared against LCD/LED) and it's not entirely sure whether they're equipped with APL circuits to cut down energy consumption and heat production. And like we already know, BFI will reduce the brightness.

I suspect that the stacked WOLED arrangement, which prevents light loss, will produce greater brightness than previous OLED designs.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Led advantages
Gets very bright
No abl
LED disadvantages.
Poor blacks.
Poor contrast
Viewing angles poor
Blooming
Uniformity
I can carry on all day.

Oled samsung advantages.
Gets just as bright
Abl is not a issue
Infinite contrast
Infinite blacks.
Pencil thin
No blooming
No uniformity issues
Reference level picture

I mentioned samsung oled because lg oled using wrgb is weak and has lots of problems when compared to true rgb samsung.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
I mentioned samsung oled because lg oled using wrgb is weak and has lots of problems when compared to true rgb samsung.

That's all well in good except that apparently Samsung (or anyone else for that matter) cannot produce rgb OLED for TV size displays in any way that would be remotely cost competitive with wRGB oled, let alone LCD. Otherwise...perhaps they would be manufacturing them.

I am certainly not convinced that wRGB has any inherent disadvantages over RGB. This is not to say that LGs current sets are not without their flaws.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by suge967mari View Post

That's just an ignorant and ridiculous statement. You obviously know nothing about OLED tech.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Umm, 80-month-old grave digging...
Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Didn't bother to read the thread just the title.

Went from Samsung js9500 HDR 4k led TV to LG ec9300 1080p oled.

Best decision of my life.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want but at the end of the day an LCD is still going to be an LCD. Forbidden from my home forever.

Top LCD to bottom oled and the oled is still better. If you haven't used them both in your home then you can't understand.

Even **** Comcast football feeds look incredibly better on the oled. The contrast ratio is just worth so much more. The viewing angles are worth so much more too

IMO if you value resolution and "HDR" over contrast ratio and viewing angle... Then... Well... You're dumb, to put it lightly.

Last edited by alexanderg823; 09-05-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you think OLED will be just as good or if not better than Plasmas?

I hate LCD for movies and especially sport, I hope one day the OLED is just as good as the Plasmas
Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision2015 View Post
Do you think OLED will be just as good or if not better than Plasmas?
Let's put it this way, there are really only two things that OLED currently can't do as well as plasma:

1. Near-black uniformity
2. Low-framerate motion clarity

The first is thought to just be a yields and panel quality-control issue while the second is purely because LG's implementation lacks black-frame insertion (possibly due to brightness reasons, which itself would get better with newer models - this would explain why something like the Oculus Rift's OLED display can support black-frame insertion since it blocks out ambient lighting)
fafrd likes this.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 09-07-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As far as I know all OLEDs have a glossy screen vs there are still some fairly matte LCDs which may help lower reflections in bright rooms.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
"IMO if you value resolution and "HDR" over contrast ratio and viewing angle... Then... Well... You're dumb, to put it lightly. "

"Lighten UP", Alex!

Oooopsss, I forgot You got rid of your JS9500 which could lighten up and bought the OLED which can't lighten up,

Sorry Bout that!

Gary
Old 09-15-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959Dodge View Post
"IMO if you value resolution and "HDR" over contrast ratio and viewing angle... Then... Well... You're dumb, to put it lightly. "

"Lighten UP", Alex!

Oooopsss, I forgot You got rid of your JS9500 which could lighten up and bought the OLED which can't lighten up,

Sorry Bout that!

Gary
Ironic, Gary, considering the average brightness of the JS9500 is 380 nit whereas the EG9600 is 417 nit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement