Sony KDL-55EX621 vs. LG 55LW5700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping to get some thoughts and opinions on these two sets. Looking for a 55" - 60" TV for the family room. PQ is probably the biggest factor but also trying to stay under $1200. I have looked at Best Buy, Sears, Wal Mart and Costco. These 2 sets seem to be the best available out there in this price range. Seems like the next price point is around $1600 which is more than I want to spend right now.

I have read a little in each of the threads for these models Sony 620/621 and the LG 5600/5700. Seems like there is a lot of good and the occassional bad for each. I have a slight preference to the Sony because it will go with my Sony soundbar. The sound bar is Bravia compatible so I can program it on screen. I know 3D is the big advantage with the LG. I don't really like the glasses aspect, either passive or active. It is included with the LG so I guess it is a feature, but just not sure I would use it.

I am very curious about the hack for the 5700 to give it more capabilities, local dimming and THX presets. Like I said PQ is the biggest factor. Hard to compare the two even in the same store. My room is moderate light level, not super dark or super bright.

Price at Costco for the Sony EX621 is $1199.99 and the LG LW5700 is 1299.99 on sale through the end of the month. The $1299.99 is a bit outside of what I was hoping to pay, but this unit is normally $1699.99 at Costco.

Any thoughts one way or the other would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I completely understand your situation, I once faced a very similar one myself, but I chose the LG 47LW5600 because of the price mostly... If you have a Fry's Electronics near you check them out from time to time, they run a special promotion where they drastically reduce the price, I snagged mine $800 brand new with 14 pairs of glasses, the 55LW5600 will be $1100... The only regret I have is that I didn't get a bigger one at the time.... Oh yeah and as far as the 3D before I got this tv home I sorta felt like you that it wasn't important but after using it for awhile my family and I enjoy it so much we have begun collecting 3D Blu's...

Oh and don't worry about the hacks they're very easy to do if you want to use them and as of the latest firmware LG has done nothing to stop them....
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex621 55 1080p Hd Led Lcd Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page