Help me buy an older plasma or LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i bought a used Panasonic p65v10 packed it carelessly and cracked the panel on the way home, its now what some would cal a very expensive paper weight. I was very pleased with the PQ on the v10 and am looking for a Panasonic model with similar performance. There are a couple of retailers that carry refurbished older panasonic seats and some selling used ones on ebay. I was wondering if you guys could tell me which model number i should keep an eye out for. I see the p65s1 available in my neighborhood for fairly cheap and wondering if i should go for that. I have a $1000 budget for a used or refurbished tv so the newer gt/vt and even st models are not something im looking at right now unless i stumble upon some kind of incredible once in a lifetime deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post

Hey im trying to sell my samsung 55d8000 lcd. The picture is incredible but honestly i use very few of its features and would like to get something cheaper till oleds start becoming more affordable. This is where you guys come in, i want to get a 63-65" panasonic plasma or samsung lcd with no bells or whistles. Aka no apps or wifi and doesnt have to be incredibly thin. I keep checking out the panasonic 65vt30 but that set is up there in price. How does this tv compare to older panasonics ? Something like this or a 65v10 or 65st30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Vi...#ht_3196wt_689

LOL I love how you have a description of a set you're looking for and then mention the VT30 - the complete opposite of the set that you described.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

LOL I love how you have a description of a set you're looking for and then mention the VT30 - the complete opposite of the set that you described.

Well what im asking for is a comparison. Is the vt30 just far and away so much better than the cheaper models or is the price difference worth downgrading to something cheaper
post #4 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked: 11
Probably the way to approach it is to see how much your set is worth. Then you will know what you can buy. Unless you intend to kick in a bit of cash, I don't think a 65VT30 is in the cards though.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

Probably the way to approach it is to see how much your set is worth. Then you will know what you can buy. Unless you intend to kick in a bit of cash, I don't think a 65VT30 is in the cards though.

How does the 65vt30 compare tp the 65v10? Picture quality tryumps all for me
post #6 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:

The VT30 PQ is better in every category. No contest.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #7 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I would avoid any 2009 model (V10, S1, G10, etc...) because of the rising black epidemic of that year. I recall that by the time it was discontinued our display 65V10 looked pretty gray.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #8 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I would avoid any 2009 model (V10, S1, G10, etc...) because of the rising black epidemic of that year. I recall that by the time it was discontinued our display 65V10 looked pretty gray.

Oh my! Have you tried using Just For Men?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Oh my! Have tried using Just For Men?

Ian

I heard only an ISF hairstylist can apply it...

Quote:

If it were me I would buy a lower model new set rather than anything used. You never know how people take care of their sets over the years. At least, I would buy from someone here if I went used as the odds are better that it was well maintained. Pluse, you really don't want something too old as there are always fixes and improvements between generations. The GT, ST, and S30 in that order are worth considering if you go new and want a panny. Or kick in the difference and get the VT.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I found someone selling a v10 for around $1000. I checked out an st30 being displayed next to a 55d7000 and was not impressed at all with the color or blacks. I was very impressed with the vt30 but maybe it would be a different story if it had a samsung sitting next to it. Do you guys know of any 60+ samsung lcds. I spotted a 60c6300 for sale but was hoping for a 65".
post #11 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

I found someone selling a v10 for around $1000. I checked out an st30 being displayed next to a 55d7000 and was not impressed at all with the color or blacks. I was very impressed with the vt30 but maybe it would be a different story if it had a samsung sitting next to it. Do you guys know of any 60+ samsung lcds. I spotted a 60c6300 for sale but was hoping for a 65".

Are you looking for an lcd/led or a plasma? Your post befuddles me.

You can get a new tv for the price of a used panel. And you get the opportunity to return it if you don't like it, and most of all, a warranty. Find a type of technology, size, features, and price - and shop around.

New televisions will be rolling out between the end of the month into March, so now is a prime time to buy. Sometimes prices do go up on outgoing models as they reach end of life status.

Try keying in the TV (part number, like tc-p65st30) you are looking for here:

http://www.decide.com/

or here:

http://www.nextag.com/

post #12 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Are you looking for an lcd/led or a plasma? Your post befuddles me.

You can get a new tv for the price of a used panel. And you get the opportunity to return it if you don't like it, and most of all, a warranty. Find a type of technology, size, features, and price - and shop around.

New televisions will be rolling out between the end of the month into March, so now is a prime time to buy. Sometimes prices do go up on outgoing models as they reach end of life status.

Try keying in the TV (part number, like tc-p65st30) you are looking for here:

http://www.decide.com/

or here:

http://www.nextag.com/

i have no preference lcd or plasma. Whats most important is 65" and good/great not stellar PQ, dont need3d or internet capabilities.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Actually, both the ST and VT use the same panel so any difference in PQ is likely a matter of settings/ambient lighting.

I get the feeling that you are looking for an LCD, although few if any will have the black levels of a plasma. Bright colors aren't realistic and realism is the plasma's forte. I would look to LED/LCD technology and see if that suits you.

As for overall PQ, panasonics are tough to beat short of the elites as plasmas go.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

i have no preference lcd or plasma. Whats most important is 65" and good/great not stellar PQ, dont need3d or internet capabilities.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....All+Categories

You can't mount this on the wall, but it is a 65 inch tv for under $1000.

post #15 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Threads been updated and my new tv is now on ebay for parts ((
post #16 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

So i bought a used Panasonic p65v10 packed it carelessly and cracked the panel on the way home, its now what some would cal a very expensive paper weight. I was very pleased with the PQ on the v10 and am looking for a Panasonic model with similar performance. There are a couple of retailers that carry refurbished older panasonic seats and some selling used ones on ebay. I was wondering if you guys could tell me which model number i should keep an eye out for. I see the p65s1 available in my neighborhood for fairly cheap and wondering if i should go for that. I have a $1000 budget for a used or refurbished tv so the newer gt/vt and even st models are not something im looking at right now unless i stumble upon some kind of incredible once in a lifetime deal.

Threads been updated and my new tv is now on ebay for parts

Wut? It's pretty clear that something hit the screen. Had it really fallen off a table, that whole screen would be shattered from edge to edge.

"Tv was working perfectly for the year and a half i owned it. Was originally purchased for $4,000. The tv was knocked off a table in our house and the screen was cracked. The other glass is in pretty good shape has 3 marks but the inside panel was cracked the tv powers on but just buzzes. The tvis for sale for parts. Still have the remote and instuction manual. The tv is pickup only in Queens, New York City. If you have any questions feel free to ask."

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #17 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
How do you go from:

Quote:

It was a beautiful saturday i woke up to buy a plasma i purchased on ebay a Panasonic 65v10 it looked so beautiful. Got it in the Van was sitting pretty after a 2hour drive then 10 minutes from home an accident occurs infront of me and im forced to stop short, something fell foward onto the tv now the inside is cracked. When i turn it on there is no picture and it buzzes.

to:

Quote:

Tv was working perfectly for the year and a half i owned it. Was originally purchased for $4,000. The tv was knocked off a table in our house and the screen was cracked. The other glass is in pretty good shape has 3 marks but the inside panel was cracked the tv powers on but just buzzes. The tvis for sale for parts. Still have the remote and instuction manual.

???

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #18 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

???

Yup, there's some shennanigans going on . . .

Classic example of why i rarely ever believe anything an EBay seller says

Randy

Gallery -
post #19 of 21 Old 02-23-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Went with a shorter story same result... Smashed screen, sue me
post #20 of 21 Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Went with a shorter story same result... Smashed screen, sue me

Full of lies and can't keep up with them. I don't know what your trying to accomplish but I can tell you it isn't working. Nor will it. Give up and move on. Sure AVS is full of a bunch of baloney at some points in time. Also nit pick at way to many things. But there's one thing we don't do.

FRAUD. No ones going to help you. Keep it that way.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Never trust anyone with fewer than 392 posts.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page