Is it time to retire my ELITE PRO-FHD1 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings...

I have a 50" Pioneer ELITE PRO-FHD1 plasma monitor. At the time I bought this, early 2008, it was the holy grail of displays. Through a family discount, I was able to pick this display up for $2500 which was an outstanding deal compared to the $8000 msrp I would have never even looked at twice.

I've been wondering recently if I should consider selling the display and investing in something more modern.

3D/smart tv's interest me as well as the modern looks. My Elite is looking rather dated in those departments.

To be quite honest, I like Samsung brand TV's and if I were to get anything it would be within their line. I'd rather not sidetrack into brand vs brand discussions but I would like to hear some opinions out there from the pro's and those familiar with the display I have.

- Are there Samsung LED/Plasma offerings that will give me comparable (or better) picture quality than my Elite?

- Stutter during high speed action (like sports) is a concern for me and something I've never had to worry about with my Elite plasma.

- Input wise, I only need 1 HDMI input, nothing else (home theatre reciever).

So... should I consider replacing this monitor?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad63lac View Post

Greetings...

I have a 50" Pioneer ELITE PRO-FHD1 plasma monitor. At the time I bought this, early 2008, it was the holy grail of displays. Through a family discount, I was able to pick this display up for $2500 which was an outstanding deal compared to the $8000 msrp I would have never even looked at twice.

I've been wondering recently if I should consider selling the display and investing in something more modern.

3D/smart tv's interest me as well as the modern looks. My Elite is looking rather dated in those departments.

To be quite honest, I like Samsung brand TV's and if I were to get anything it would be within their line. I'd rather not sidetrack into brand vs brand discussions but I would like to hear some opinions out there from the pro's and those familiar with the display I have.

- Are there Samsung LED/Plasma offerings that will give me comparable (or better) picture quality than my Elite?

- Stutter during high speed action (like sports) is a concern for me and something I've never had to worry about with my Elite plasma.

- Input wise, I only need 1 HDMI input, nothing else (home theatre reciever).

So... should I consider replacing this monitor?

Thanks,
Brian

i'd hang onto your monitor and wait. there may be oleds coming out in 6-12 months, and rumors of an apple (smart) tv as well. i'm not sure samsung makes a display currently that can outperform your pro elite. by consensus, the best dispaly currently available is the sharp elite, but you will be spending big $$$ for that. check out the sammy 8000 line and see if you think that set is better than your pro.

neflixis our nemesis
post #3 of 14 Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I found it very helpful as I share some eyebrow raising similarities with the OP.

1. I also purchased this unit in early 2008 for an insane amount below MSRP, ($1700)

2. I have been mulling the replacement as i would like to take advantage of some of the "new" tech, but don't really want to give up the PQ that the FHD1 has provided. I have been looking at the Sammy 7K/8K, Sony XBR, and Panny ST/VT but have yet to pull he trigger.

3. My name is Bryan as well. Just spelled with "y" instead of "i".

But even 10 months after the last response, the last response helped me and I would like to thank "mr. wally" for the helpful words.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
You can add an additional 6-12 months on the OLED wait.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You can add an additional 6-12 months on the OLED wait.

I know. I'm not holding my breath for OLED at a reasonable price or at a decent size (55"+) any time soon. Even another 6-12 months seems like a very optimistic time frame.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 AM

You can buy receivers and bd players that will do a lot of the things that smart TV's will do. There's an article on the Sharp Elite on hometheater.com ( http://www.hometheater.com/content/sharp-elite-pro-60x5fd-3d-led-lcd-hdtv ) that compares the old Kuro w/ the newer Sharp Elite. Personally I would keep the Pioneer unless you want a bigger screen (which would be VERY tempting). I have an older Panasonic plasma that still calibrates like a champ, its only problem is that it's a 50 incher and not 60 in. (or 65 in.) wink.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
OLED won't be here within 6–12 months, and certainly not at affordable prices.
Smart TV stuff is mostly worthless in my opinion, as the streaming quality is generally worse than dedicated devices. It can be useful occasionally though. (like when I was left with only the TV due to some PC trouble)
3D is mostly worthless in my opinion, and I own a 3DTV. Gaming is the only good application, but no 3DTV currently supports 1080p at 60fps, you have to drop down to 720p, and it isn't worth it.

If that's a first-generation Kuro, or a pre-Kuro Pioneer set, you might see an improvement with one of the latest Pansonic sets. I probably wouldn't bother though.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I was just doubling the timeline based on LG's stalling tactics. One should surely be available for purchase by 2014.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM

The "smart" tech isn't really a concern. I have numerous other devices that can do that and I barely use any of that stuff at all. But I do want a bigger screen as this TV has made it's way from my cave to the living room. I really do love the picture and PQ is the most important factor, next to price. I would spend the $7K on the Sharp Elite if I could see a justifiable improvement worth $7K. But when the PQ on the VT50, Sammy 8K, and Sony XBR is right there with it, I can't justify that cost to myself.

I would use the 3D moderately as kids love that nonsense and it would keep unnecessary hours off my projector. Even when the last Kuro's were released, I just couldn't justify the upgrade. We're they better? Yes, but it was like Red Delicious apples to Golden Crisp apples. Both were still better than just about any thing out there. And it's insane that 5 years later I still have the same dilemma.

Then if I do decide on a new set, I have to find a place for this one.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 331
If you are eying for anything close in terms of PQ to your Kuru, I suggest you take a serious look at the Top Rated VT Panny.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-panasonic-tc-p55vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv

If you read the calibration report and measurements on the last page, you will see this is quite an impressive set. wink.gif

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

i'd hang onto your monitor and wait. there may be oleds coming out in 6-12 months, and rumors of an apple (smart) tv as well. i'm not sure samsung makes a display currently that can outperform your pro elite. by consensus, the best dispaly currently available is the sharp elite, but you will be spending big $$$ for that. check out the sammy 8000 line and see if you think that set is better than your pro.

The best display currently available is the vt50, not the Sharp Elite
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

The best display currently available is the vt50, not the Sharp Elite

In all fairness to Mr. Wally, that post was written back in February before the VT50 was released.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #13 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

In all fairness to Mr. Wally, that post was written back in February before the VT50 was released.
Ian wink.gif

thanks for protecting what little honor i have.smile.gif

neflixis our nemesis
post #14 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

If you are eying for anything close in terms of PQ to your Kuru, I suggest you take a serious look at the Top Rated VT Panny.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-panasonic-tc-p55vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv
If you read the calibration report and measurements on the last page, you will see this is quite an impressive set. wink.gif
Ian

Yeah, that looks like where I'm headed. I looked at one in the Magnolia room at BB the other day. Was able to make some basic adjustments while watching "Amazing Spider-Man". Looked pretty good, darn good. Just the 65-incher gets up there in price, around $3K more or less. That's the downside of the price I got my current set at. I'm reluctant to crack the $1700-1800 barrier. Funny cause with my projector it wasn't even a second thought. I wanted a JVC and I bought a new JVC, lol!!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page