I want to like my Sammsung UN46d7000 led but... Need a little advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am really on the fence here. I bought the Samsung UN46D7000 led about 10 days ago. I really liked the picture in the store and when I got home I still liked it. Then I watched a movie and saw some flashlighting in the corners. Not bad but kind of annoying. My dilemma is that the new 2012 models are coming out soon and I here the new Panasonic plasmas are supposed to be really nice. Should I take the set back and wait on the new Pannys to come out or keep the Sammy? What would you do and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The question is, do you really want to live with the flashlighting for the life of the tv? If you noticed it the first day you got it, you will certainly notice it every single day.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
One thing I would not do is saddle myself with an uneven backlight ever again on my primary display. I had that in the form of MURA on a 2007 Samsung LCD model. After upgrading to a Kuro, I'd never look back at something that so obviously manifests in dark scenes/screens.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Some say you will eventually adjust to it (doubt it) but I would rather you either get a better lcd/led (those local dimming full array whatever you call em) or research up on plasma.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well finding a full array led right now is next to impossible. The only ones I can find are the Sony XBRHX929 and I can only find those in the 55" model. Too big for my room. 50" is going to be my max size and that's pushing it. I'm seriously considering taking back the Samsung un46d7000 and waiting on the new Panny plasmas to hit the stores. My only worry is that there is a window directly opposite where the tv is so glare could be an issue. Although I have heard the new Panny models are much better at dealing with the glare and the Samsung I have now has a glossy screen so I get glare now. I looked at the gt30 in store and the glare was not as bad as my Samsung and the new ones are supposed to be even better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajas13 View Post

Well finding a full array led right now is next to impossible. The only ones I can find are the Sony XBRHX929 and I can only find those in the 55" model. Too big for my room. 50" is going to be my max size and that's pushing it. I'm seriously considering taking back the Samsung un46d7000 and waiting on the new Panny plasmas to hit the stores. My only worry is that there is a window directly opposite where the tv is so glare could be an issue. Although I have heard the new Panny models are much better at dealing with the glare and the Samsung I have now has a glossy screen so I get glare now. I looked at the gt30 in store and the glare was not as bad as my Samsung and the new ones are supposed to be even better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Its to bad you don't have more space I would tell you to pick up and 55LW6500 full array because they are going out now. You only have 50" though. I might suggest you wait until 2012. Most people never get over that samsung flash.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I know what you mean. I've only had the set for less than two weeks and it's already getting on my nerves. I'm starting to see some washed out colors along the edges of the screen
post #8 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah I know what you mean. I've only had the set for less than two weeks and it's already getting on my nerves. I'm starting to see some washed out colors along the edges of the screen

Do you have another mounting option? Full array 55" are getting much cheaper now. My uncle had a similar problem on his sammy returned it after 2 days I think. The build quality of the Chinese made Samsung TVs is so bad. I would look into the TV I recommended above you can get a full array for $1,400 3D and smart not a bad deal.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydick View Post

Its to bad you don't have more space I would tell you to pick up and 55LW6500 full array because they are going out now. You only have 50" though. I might suggest you wait until 2012. Most people never get over that samsung flash.

The 6500 is not full array.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have another mounting option? Full array 55" are getting much cheaper now. My uncle had a similar problem on his sammy returned it after 2 days I think. The build quality of the Chinese made Samsung TVs is so bad. I would look into the TV I recommended above you can get a full array for $1,400 3D and smart not a bad deal.

You keep saying full array... I get the impression your not 100% as to what it means.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

You keep saying full array... I get the impression your not 100% as to what it means.

There is no full array LED backlit LCD TV on the market yet. There are local dimm LED backlit which devides the backlit LED into multiple areas and control the back light on per area based on the picture brightness.

There is only one full array LED backlit demo set shown by SONY during this year's CES. However no words when it will be in the market if there will be a such product in the future and how much it will be.

This is the thread that is discussing the so-called SONY CLED TV.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386177
post #12 of 19 Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Yeah, I mean full array of LEDs as opposed to edge lit LED.

I am not referring to a tech that is not on the market and has very little chance of ever coming to it. As for the I would not say LCD/LED just that an LED TV there is no need for the term full array as LED TV describes it already.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk; View Post

There is no full array LED backlit LCD TV on the market yet.

Quote:

There are local dimm LED backlit which devides the backlit LED into multiple areas and control the back light on per area based on the picture brightness.

Believe it or not they are called full array local dimming LED LCd's.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Believe it or not they are called full array local dimming LED LCd's.

The LEDs are not per pixel. Simply to say there is no 6 million x 3 color LEDs as the back light. So it is really not a full array. The LEDs is really a backlit to the LCD panel.

This market term of "LED" TV is really misleading. There is thread discussing this too.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The 55LW6500 is "edge lit" definitely not "full array".
post #16 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

The LEDs are not per pixel. Simply to say there is no 6 million x 3 color LEDs as the back light. So it is really not a full array. The LEDs is really a backlit to the LCD panel.

So, what do you propose how we should call them? Not fully Full Array
Quote:

This market term of "LED" TV is really misleading. There is thread discussing this too.

That is why i called it LED LCd
post #17 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I think I have decided to return the Samsung and wait for the tcp50gt50 to come out. The flashlighting and clouding are driving me crazy. The uniformity of the screen is just unacceptable in my opinion.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk View Post

Which is why they are referred to as "Full array with local dimming LED LCD's".
post #19 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

I think I have decided to return the Samsung and wait for the tcp50gt50 to come out. The flashlighting and clouding are driving me crazy. The uniformity of the screen is just unacceptable in my opinion.

Wise decision, and one that should pay in dividends over the next several years since you put that prospect behind you. That is the Achilles heel of LCD tech for me.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page