Mounting the TV above the fireplace in my large room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've looked at many threads about mounting a TV above the fireplace. I'd like to get your opinions on my particular situation. I am trying to figure out where to put a large (60"+) LCD/LED TV in our "Great Room" aka primary living space.

We recently entered a contract to purchase a home under construction. It's all framed out, so there are only so many changes we can make for "free" and only limited changes we can make otherwise.

The room is large, about 18' x 21', with a large fireplace (floor to ceiling) centered on the narrow wall. The ceiling is high (16+'?) in the center, dropping to about 14' on the long walls. The far end away from the fireplace is open to the kitchen, so it is a very tall, open, symmetrical room.

The fireplace dominates one end of the room, and will be covered in rock. In the proposed design, it has a raised hearth, similar to the one in the attached picture (although the room is laid out differently).

We have a dedicated media room that will be dominated by the kids. This will be our everyday viewing room, but also a classy room for entertaining.

If I move the TV to the left or right of the fireplace, I can't put together a nice symmetrical speaker setup. In fact, I already have 7.1 wiring ordered and probably can't change them (easily or cheaply).

Should I ask the builder to lower the mantle as far as possible? Should I see if they will do a low hearth, gaining me back even more room? Wife wants the standard hearth... but I'm worried about staring uphill at my TV.

I don't even have a TV picked for this space. Just trying to plan.

Ideas?

Basically I know the caveats and warnings against a high-mounted TV. The mantle is planned at 58", which is extremely high. I can get it as low as 50", but no lower, and the builder is saying that even that will throw off the balance or look with respect to the hearth.

Attached are 3 images:

1) Example of rock work, but in a much smaller configuration. Same high mantle.
2) Section of plan for the home showing dimensions
3) A picture of a model home (not ours) with a different, non-rock, low hearth fireplace (and a really bad TV cutout).

Imagine the rock and raised hearth, in that size room.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mounting a TV above a fireplace is simply a bad idea.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplein View Post

Should I ask the builder to lower the mantle as far as possible? Should I see if they will do a low hearth, gaining me back even more room? Wife wants the standard hearth... but I'm worried about staring uphill at my TV.

Ideas?

If you are going to go that route I would say get it as low as possible. Build a mock up if you have to. But, make sure all your couches, chairs used for viewing, are recliners - any table/chair groupings are at the new bar-height.
Boy - that's lots of glass
post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 AM

WE do have a TV mount that is made for installing over a fireplace. It will support flat panels up to 110 lbs. Depending on the mantel depth it can lower as much as 30" when the mantel is less than 5" wide. For example if the mantel depth is 12" the amount of downward travel would be reduced to only 24". But with this style of fireplace TV mounting bracket it will help reduce neck strain from looking upward all the time. Let us know if this helps.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page