Samsung paying out big class action settled. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/s...ver-kaput-tvs/

Broken samsung TVs paying out. If you have or had one of these many models you can get up to $300.

This thread can be moved if needed.

Figured more than a few guys here have some on these sets.

Samsung has fallen a lot in build quality so here is your chance to get some money back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Samsung to Pay Millions to Settle Lawsuits Over Mass LCD TV Failures

Problems affected a multitude of users, some several times; Samsung will off up to $300 USD in reimbursement

It would be fair to say that Samsung's display business has some serious issues.

While Samsung Electronic Comp., Ltd. (KS:005930) outsold its rivals in 2011 in both the flat-panel segment and the 3D-TV sub-segment [source], it also hemorrhaged $900M USD. The company is currently in the midst of spinning off its LCD panel manufacturing TV business -- which ironically it just expanded via buying out a joint stake in its display partnership with Sony Corp. (TYO:6758). The deal is set to wrap up on April 1, creating a new wholly owned subsidiary of the Samsung conglomerate dubbed "Samsung Display Company". The spinoff is expected to unshackle Samsung Electronics from the losses, allowing it to aggressively pursue OLED technology development.

I. Persistent Failures Strike Numerous Samsung TV Buyers

But even aside from the balance sheet, Samsung has serious issues to contend with, despite its sales success. The company has just announced details of a class action settlement with consumers over its use of less-expensive failure-prone capacitors.

The failures were sweeping. DailyTech first covered this issue in an early 2011 piece, after both hearing numerous first hand accounts of failures at CES 2011 and reading yet more accounts of failures on Amazon.com, Inc.'s (AMZN) user reviews section. While anecdotal, these stories painted a disturbing picture.

Full article at:

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+to+...ticle24065.htm
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

This isnt really new as this happens for alot of TV companies. Sony has been sued several times and most have never been paid out.

Ive had several Samsung tvs and other products, none of ever failed for me. I bet the overall percentage is realitivly small for failures.

Most ppl also dont know that if a company changes names, they cant be sued or it will be very hard to sue them as they no longer will operate under that old name.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

This isnt really new as this happens for alot of TV companies. Sony has been sued several times and most have never been paid out.

Ive had several Samsung tvs and other products, none of ever failed for me. I bet the overall percentage is realitivly small for failures.

Most ppl also dont know that if a company changes names, they cant be sued or it will be very hard to sue them as they no longer will operate under that old name.

And one of my co-workers has had the caps replaced twice on his 08 model Sammy

Virtually every mfg. of consumer goods from cars to washers to tvs has had similar problems. The good ones learn and improve. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a Samsung tv now because of this issue any more than I'd be afraid to buy a Toyota because of the recent "unintended accelleration" issue.

I owned one of those lemon Sony SXRD sets and they came through for me.

Steve S.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I still have my 1st Samsung that was purchased 5 years ago....
post #6 of 16 Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I still have my 1st Samsung that was purchased 5 years ago....

Precisely. I don't really have a problem with Samsung's estimate of the percentage of sets affected. Cap failure can be affected by any number of factors like frequency of on/off cycles, line voltage, differing backlight settings. My co-worker likes full-blast Dynamic settings and the line voltage in his home may not be optimal so his results may be a worst case scenario. Others with better line voltage consistency, fewer on/off cycles, and more reasonable power demands due to lower settings might never encounter the problem. That's why anecdotal reports are not indicative of performance as a whole and why I put the smiley in my previous post.

There have been a lot of cap failures--Samsung sold a heckuva a lot of these sets, but the percentage of that large number of sets sold that have had the failures could easily be fairly low. By now Samsung should have corrected the problem in current production anyway. This cap thing wouldn't stop me from buying a Samsung now if that's what I wanted, but I might hesitate to purchase a used example of one of the affected models on Craigslist.

My SXRD lasted longer than most before turning green--I chose the power saving setting which reduced lamp brightness and therefore heat output and also used the "high altitude" setting which ramped up the cooling fan--it lasted 4 years before turning green. I've seen showroom SXRDs of the same model develope green blobs within a year using the brighter lamp setting and standard cooling fan setting. AFAIK the green problem on SXRDs was caused by heat baking the lcos chips and was inevitable on all of them, just a matter of time. This kind of inevitable failure isn't necessarily the case with the Samsung cap problem.

Steve S.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
If you believed all the horror stories you would never buy anything. A few years ago JVC LCoS TVs were supposed to be failures about to happen, at least if you believed all the "sky is falling" posts. Luckily, my 52 inch JVC never read this forum and so worked perfectly for 5 years and several tens of thousands of hours. I finally gave it to a friend because I was ready to move on, and the latest I heard is still going strong.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

If you believed all the horror stories you would never buy anything. A few years ago JVC LCoS TVs were supposed to be failures about to happen, at least if you believed all the "sky is falling" posts. Luckily, my 52 inch JVC never read this forum and so worked perfectly for 5 years and several tens of thousands of hours. I finally gave it to a friend because I was ready to move on, and the latest I heard is still going strong.

I agree I just hope people who own these sets find out about this that is why I posted it so they can get some of their hard earned money back. I may not have a Samsung but I would be pretty angry if this happened to my TV after just a year of use and reported to happen multiple times after board replacement.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Now that this is public knowledge I dont feel so scared when I turn on my 55 8500

Matt
post #10 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Correction to my previous posts--talked to my co-worker since then and he's on his 4th set of caps. Strongly suspect there's something abnormal causing this as even the originals supplied by Samsung shouldn't have failed that many times in so short a period.

The last set aren't sourced from Samsung.

Steve S.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Just glad I ditched my Samdung LCD TV that was afflicted by this before the symptoms ever appeared. I was stupid enough to buy a Samsung washer/dryer pair (with electronic controls) from them last year, however. ;x
post #12 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Correction to my previous posts--talked to my co-worker since then and he's on his 4th set of caps. Strongly suspect there's something abnormal causing this as even the originals supplied by Samsung shouldn't have failed that many times in so short a period.

The last set aren't sourced from Samsung.

Yeah its come out that Samsung knew about it a did nothing. I won't be buying any of their products soon. It effects all their displays even for microwaves etc.
Just as bad as when Sony lost a bunch of credit card information, and told no one.

Shame on you Samsung.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Damned electrolytic caps, yet again.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

My SXRD lasted longer than most before turning green--I chose the power saving setting which reduced lamp brightness and therefore heat output and also used the "high altitude" setting which ramped up the cooling fan--it lasted 4 years before turning green. I've seen showroom SXRDs of the same model develope green blobs within a year using the brighter lamp setting and standard cooling fan setting. AFAIK the green problem on SXRDs was caused by heat baking the lcos chips and was inevitable on all of them, just a matter of time. This kind of inevitable failure isn't necessarily the case with the Samsung cap problem.

Sony replaced the Engine on my SXRD but I understand that now they are offering discounts if one sends in a picture of the green screen.

Other than lamp changes, My replaced lcos has been perating ok for about 3 years now and I still enjoy my KDS60A2000
post #15 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I just popped the back cover off of my LN52A630m, the caps look okay, no bulging on the tops (yet).
I'm thinking of installing a fan on it, anyway.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfan View Post

I just popped the back cover off of my LN52A630m, the caps look okay, no bulging on the tops (yet).
I'm thinking of installing a fan on it, anyway.

I am not sure if that kind of modification would void you from getting the rebate or $300 from Samsung.

I would check the website first to see because no use loosing out on that money.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page