post #31 of 34 Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

My brother in law has the 73" dlp and it is nice but it doesn't even come close to the pq of the ones I am considering, plus they eat up the bulbs. The 80" sharp was mind blowing and if it was even close to my price range, it would be a done deal. That thing is SWEET! Thanks for the link. Everyone has been very helpful so far.

I think I am going to get some black-out fabric and have it Velcro between my blinds and window. The window is reflective on the outside so it won't even be seen. Since it will be pretty dark, I am 99% sure of going plasma. I never use the big tv for casual viewing and I am usually gone or working during the brightest times of the day anyway. I am a big fan of led lights since they run very consistent and they don't have heat like a conventional bulb. Everyone says that plasmas are better looking and although I didn't see much of a difference, If I could get a plasma for near $1500, the price is difference enough.

We loved the size of the 80" Sharp, but there were a few visual things that didn't sit well with us. Fantastic TV, especially when you factor in the size/price combo!

If you want to hit that $1500 dollar mark and stay about 55"-60" with a plasma, it's doable. I suggest you check out the Plasma Deals Sub-Forum. There are some incredible deals popping up there.

-JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks! I just found a post for a pretty good price! It's getting close!!!! This is exciting!
post #33 of 34 Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I noticed the st does not have the thx setting. Is that important?

Not "important," but falls into the Nice To Have category. Question is, How Much ($$) is THX and a Better Bezel Design worth to you?

Personally, for a cost difference of $200 or less - on a 65" panel - would opt for the GT. If the difference were over $300, would take the ST. But those are MY Pretend Dollars, not YOUR Real Ones! (Note that that leaves an Uncertain Area between $200 & $300!).

Quote:

Also, what does everyone use for power/surge protection? They gave me a monster surge protector with my old tv is that enough or do I need to use a battery back up or something like that? Something for $100 or less.

How reliable is the power grid in your area?

No. 1 Son runs one of the APC Power Conditioners and thinks it was worth every penny spent. (Although seem to recall that he picked it up via some sort of Group Purchase - pretty certain through AVS....)

We live in an area that is subject to Frequent Voltage Swings, and Reasonably Regular Short-Term Power Glitches: think in terms of the type of "outage" that is JUST Long Enough to cause an electric alarm clock / clock radio / microwave clock to reset - and then everything is "fine" again.

Because of this, we have ALL of the household computers running off UPS systems, as well as our main Router / Cable Box (which also runs VOIP!) & our main "home theater system."

Although we still have one Belkin unit running, everything else is now APC or TrippLite. Have been very happy, thus far, with the two TrippLite systems bought from Costco - these are under $100, and provide both UPS and AVR functions.

OTOH, have had 2 Belkins & 1 CyberPower fail on us. Again, our area seems to put a lot of stress on these units, so under other conditions....
post #34 of 34 Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I noticed the st does not have the thx setting. Is that important? Also, what does everyone use for power/surge protection? They gave me a monster surge protector with my old tv is that enough or do I need to use a battery back up or something like that? Something for $100 or less.

As long as you have a decent surge protector, you're fine. UPS is only needed for things with active memory or spinning hard drives, like HTPCs and DVRs.

THX mode is great, but if you're going to have the set calibrated (which you should) there's not much point, IMO, since the calibrator is going to set up a custom profile anyway. That's why I decided to save the money and get the ST instead of the GT, and put the extra money towards pro calibration.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page