LED or plasma for sports fan with a bright room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new TV as my old TV is about 20" too small for it's space. I mostly watch sports but my room is very bright with a large South facing window as well as a West facing smaller window. I was at a home theatre store yesterday and watched a basketball game on a Samsung LED - it looked terrible with a ton of motion blur (my 5 year old Sharp LCD looks perfect in comparison). But the store also had a plasma located near to a window and I couldn't stand the glare/reflection.

Does anyone have advice for this situation? I really didn't like either TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That is the dilemma: plasma has less motion blur but doesn't do as well with bright sunlight. Any chance of room darkening shades?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 12
If it is a bright room and it stays bright with a lot of day time watching an LCD is going to end up looking better
post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

If it is a bright room and it stays bright with a lot of day time watching an LCD is going to end up looking better

Agreed, I have a sharp aquos d92 52" lcd and my living room is pretty bright with the blinds open and it looks excellent even with all the light coming in. I have considered going for plasma lately but that is an issue I think I would have during the day.
RST21 I would get the new sharp aquos coming out really soon since you already have one, you know they look excellent for sports aswell. The 945 look really awesome in specs.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. On the curtains, I'm going to get some, but it won't be practical to have them closed often. And the more I research new sets, the more I'm appreciating my old Sharp LCD. So, while I came into this prepare to buy a high end TV, I've starting thinking that I may just go with a bigger version of an LCD panel like I have. Thanks for the tip on the new Sharps - I'll definitely check them out.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
will sunlight fall directly onthe screen? plasmas these days can get plenty bright. mine doesnt get too bright but i still wouldnt trade it for LCD. the occasional 1pm NFL gamerequires me to shut the curtain but it mor ethan makes up for it other times.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rst21 View Post

I'm in the market for a new TV as my old TV is about 20" too small for it's space. I mostly watch sports but my room is very bright with a large South facing window as well as a West facing smaller window. I was at a home theatre store yesterday and watched a basketball game on a Samsung LED - it looked terrible with a ton of motion blur (my 5 year old Sharp LCD looks perfect in comparison). But the store also had a plasma located near to a window and I couldn't stand the glare/reflection. Does anyone have advice for this situation? I really didn't like either TV.

Was that Plasma at the store a brand/model that has an Anti-Reflective Filter? Or was it one of the various models that do not have an AR Filter? The AR Filter makes for a huge reduction in reflectivity so this is very important when looking at TVs in the stores.

Is your living room as bright as the area at the store where you saw the glare/reflection? A South-facing window will be a challenge for any type of TV if it's letting too much light into the room. A few of my rooms get so bright that even my older matt-screened LCD TVs get overtaken by a big round blob of light and become unwatchable.

The problem with the new higher-end LCDs and LED LCD TVs is that they have a very glossy screen to give them more depth but they are very reflective - more so than a matte-screen LCD or a mid-to-high-end Plasma with a good AR Filter. These glossy LCD/LED TVs are indeed very bright and during bright scenes this helps them punch through the light better than most Plasmas, but in dark scenes that LCD/LED suddenly becomes a very reflective dark mirror. I have a small glossy LED LCD on my desk that does this and i have to concentrate on not looking at the reflections. I would not be able to tolerate it on a large primary display.

And even an AR Filter-equipped Plasma in an overly bright room will get washed out but the reflections won't be as pronounced as on a glossy LCD. The 2011 Plasma models (Panasonic ST30/GT30/VT30 and Samsung PND6500/PND7000/PND8000) all have excellent AR Filters. The new Panasonics (ST50/GT50/VT50) have new improved AR Filters that are designed for a bright room, and the new panel is reportedly brighter than last year's models. I don't know if Samsung has improved AR Filters this year but last year's models were a little brighter than the Panasonics.

The bottom line is that if a room is so bright that any of the aformentioned Plasmas aren't bright enough, then that room is too bright and not a good environment for watching any sort of TV. Just about all of the Panny and Sammy Plasma owners who have posted their settings and calibrated settings seem to have their screen brightness set to around 70%-80% or so, and they also are not using the overly bright Vivid or Dynamic picture modes. I like a bright TV yet i have the screen brightness on my older dimmer G10 set to 85% and it's plenty bright enough for watching sports and auto racing in the afternoons in my bright man room.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #8 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM

Liked: 13
My Samsung plasma with the AR filter is plenty bright enough during the day with light coming in the room.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page