post #91 of 299 Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

An analysis of the iPad display. The color gamut is pretty impressive but wow, the power consumption has gone through the roof.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

Yeah, the backlight needs seem to be the issue, which makes me skeptical that merely switching to IGZO is going to do very much. (It seems like it will help, but only on the margins.)

They were able to squeeze in a bunch more battery for minimal weight and infinitesimal thickness, which is good.

So here's the bet: Next year's model uses a much less power hungry display (20-40% less hungry) and a more power-efficient processor; the industrial design will change here. In two years, the display is OLED, for another cut in power consumption and some thickness as the backlight goes away.. same basic design but a touch thinner.

As for the notion that this one won't be a hit, it already is outselling the iPhone 4S, which was also a "bust" according to "experts" and yet is the best-selling iPhone ever. 3 million in 3 days, not including pre-orders....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 299 Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The new ipad is really hot now.
post #93 of 299 Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

The new ipad is really hot now.

Quite literally! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=technology
post #94 of 299 Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quite literally! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=technology

I've had the new iPad since last Fri and use it constantly - holding it all the time with my left hand. I haven't noticed any "heat" from the lower left etc. The metal/aluminum back is cool. Even in my leather case its cool when I slide my fingers in to check etc. This issue is either not normal and not across the build, or is specific to a use/operation parameter that I have yet to perform.. Maybe something like max brightness on the screen causing max battery draw/drain creating the heat?

Bottom line, I can attest that my iPad under what I can only state as "normal use" stays perfectly cool.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #95 of 299 Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I don't understand the bitching. I have been using my new iPad naked. Maks me nervous, but the new protector will not ship until next week.

That being said, the only place I can detect a difference in temps is in dead center of the back. Even then, one would have to be feeling for it, as the area is where the Apple logo is.
The difference is so slight, I can not imagine the 10 degree difference as being factual.

Sounds to me like another one of CU ploys to drive readers$ip, of which they have been famous for so many years.
post #96 of 299 Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

I have been using my new iPad naked. Maks me nervous....

Just keep it away from, uh, sensitive areas since you are using it naked and all.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #97 of 299 Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 253
It's being blown way out of proportion. The new iPad can get warm at times, but certainly not hot. It's nowhere close to any of the Intel-based laptops Apple (or anyone else) makes, for example.

Tested's results seem more in line with what I've found compared to my iPad 2.

http://www.tested.com/news/articles/...revious-ipads/ (ugh, I hate their re-branding)

I have to say that after having this almost a week, if they bring out "retina" MacBook Airs I might have to ditch my PC for one, even though it would be a massive drop in performance. I was already disappointed in how text looked on my HDTV when used as a monitor, but now it looks shockingly bad. (and there doesn't seem to be an option for an LED backlit 4K display at affordable prices coming any time soon)
post #98 of 299 Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Just keep it away from, uh, sensitive areas since you are using it naked and all.

Putting it on the lap is probably no go

I would be nervous too.. Since folks at our age probably have little to show

Hugh really go great length to prove his point (pun not intended)

Anyway at least it is not the battery heating up significantly, or the backlight module. That would be a REAL problem. Migration to 28nm would probably help solve the problem.
post #99 of 299 Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In all seriousness, as Chron says, it's not hot at all. It's warm but I have used about 6 laptops in the last 3 years and every one of them gets much hotter than the new iPad.

I just couldn't resist the naked joke.

post #100 of 299 Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

It's being blown way out of proportion. The new iPad can get warm at times, but certainly not hot. It's nowhere close to any of the Intel-based laptops Apple (or anyone else) makes, for example.

Tested's results seem more in line with what I've found compared to my iPad 2.

http://www.tested.com/news/articles/...revious-ipads/ (ugh, I hate their re-branding)

I have to say that after having this almost a week, if they bring out "retina" MacBook Airs I might have to ditch my PC for one, even though it would be a massive drop in performance. I was already disappointed in how text looked on my HDTV when used as a monitor, but now it looks shockingly bad. (and there doesn't seem to be an option for an LED backlit 4K display at affordable prices coming any time soon)

Chrono - There's talk about a whole slew of upcoming products from Apple utilizing the retina displays:

Display: Obviously, an upcoming round of Macs will have super-high resolution displays. It does not necessarily mean the displays will have double the pixels from their current sizes, however. Macs are not set to certain aspect ratios (even though Apple seems to be trending towards 16:9). Moreover, the distance between a user and a computer display varies. A Mac is usually set further away than a tablet or phone, making the Retina less dense than the new iPad's 264DPI.
http://9to5mac.com/2011/12/14/digiti...2-macbook-pro/
post #101 of 299 Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Rogo - I went across town to Fry's to check on the availability of a protector for my iPad.

They had many protectors, but they were all for iPad 2. I did bring in my iPad and after trying to fit in three of four protectors, I had to give up. Some were too narrow, making it too uncomfortable. Others just partially covered the bottom orifice where contact has to be made in order to recharge the iPad. So, I have decided to keep using the iPad naked until the proper protective cover arrives next week.

Gad, I hope Rush is not monitoring this thread...
post #102 of 299 Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Rogo - I went across town to Fry's to check on the availability of a protector for my iPad.

They had many protectors, but they were all for iPad 2. I did bring in my iPad and after trying to fit in three of four protectors, I had to give up. Some were too narrow, making it too uncomfortable. Others just partially covered the bottom orifice where contact has to be made in order to recharge the iPad. So, I have decided to keep using the iPad naked until the proper protective cover arrives next week.

I use the iPad without any sort of case/protector at home. When I travel with it, I have a sleeve to store it in, but I take it out of that. That's just me though.

post #103 of 299 Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chrono - There's talk about a whole slew of upcoming products from Apple utilizing the retina displays:

Display: Obviously, an upcoming round of Macs will have super-high resolution displays. It does not necessarily mean the displays will have double the pixels from their current sizes, however. Macs are not set to certain aspect ratios (even though Apple seems to be trending towards 16:9). Moreover, the distance between a user and a computer display varies. A Mac is usually set further away than a tablet or phone, making the Retina less dense than the new iPad's 264DPI.
http://9to5mac.com/2011/12/14/digiti...2-macbook-pro/

But OS X's HiDPI mode only supports pixel doubling, so displays do need to do that, or else they will have less work space.

Quote:

Gad, I hope Rush is not monitoring this thread...

The screen is Gorilla Glass with an oleophobic coating applied. I can't think of any reason to use a screen protector.
post #104 of 299 Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

No screen protector, Chrono. A thin leather case to protect the corners. At my age, I have sadly become a bit of accident prone. I find the naked iPad too slippery and I don't Surely want to accidentally use it as a place mat for a tall wine glass.
post #105 of 299 Old 03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wondering, has anyone here tried watching Blu-ray on their iPad? I've been experimenting with various quality settings (which takes ages to encode) and 8-10mbps ABR seems to be the best balance between quality and filesize, producing files in the 6-10GB range while still preserving most fine details and film grain. Below that, and there starts to be noticeable degradation.

Perhaps I got lucky, but my screen almost measures D65 with near-perfect colour, and while I always thought it was ridiculous that people could even consider watching a whole film on something like an iPad, it can be surprisingly engaging now due to how good films look on the new display.

It's not for me, but I can definitely see how people could start to use an iPad as their only entertainment device. Books, music, film, web, photography, magazines, games... at this point, what can't it do?

If 1080p had been supported via AirPlay Mirroring (it does support streaming 1080p videos from the iPad though) I could definitely see someone replacing all their home entertainment with an iPad, an Apple TV and a projector. With the size of 1080p projectors these days, that's probably a better HT setup than a lot of people have, that could fit in a backpack.

I'm definitely beginning to question buying a 70lb television and building a monstrosity of a PC last year now.

Quote:

No screen protector, Chrono. A thin leather case to protect the corners. At my age, I have sadly become a bit of accidental prone. I find the naked iPad too slippery and I don't Surely want to accidentally use it as a place mat for a tall wine glass.

My mistake, I read that as being a screen protector.

If you just want a better grip and are finding the aluminium too slippery, I can recommend either of these skins:

http://www.zagg.com/leatherskins/ipad3.php
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/...rd-series.html

The Zagg skins are thicker, but are genuine leather and offer a good grip, and protection for the back of your device.
The SGP skins are not real leather, but add texture to the back which improves your grip and protects the back while being very thin. (with one on my old iPad 2, it's still thinner than the iPad 3)

Alternatively, I have heard very good things about these cases:
http://beyzacases.com/pd-the-new-ipa...utive-case.cfm (you can save about 25% if you shop elsewhere)

I find that most folio style cases are too thick and bulky, but that looks pretty nice.

Personally, I've been looking over a lot of options, and I think I'm going to stick with a "naked" iPad and buy a sleeve for carrying it about. (so I can just chuck it in a bag without worrying)
post #106 of 299 Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Chrono,
Thanks for the great info on iPad 3 protectors. The offerings from Zagg look really tempting. I just checked with Amazon and my case is already on the way...

Thanks a whole bunch for your help!
post #107 of 299 Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Have you ever seen an iPhone (or any of the other high-resolution phones on the market, of which there are now several)? I'm guessing no. If you had, you'd know these high-resolution screens are just stunning.

People are highly confused about the pixel requirements of video and things like photos, graphics, etc. They are only loosely related. Even if you snowed by the nonsensical arguments about the uselessness of supra-1080 video, those arguments don't even remotely apply to many iPad use scenarios.

The funny thing is that with the earlier iphone, the fanboys argued that high density is not needed such as wvga resolution. Now that they have it, they argue it is needed. Ha Ha
post #108 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

How close are you sitting for you notice any pixels???????? I really don't get these arguments. I recently watched drive angry on bluray and i could not see a single pixel on my 60" from 8' back. I even went up close to the set and still couldn't see anything. Maby a little bit but they were too small to complain. The picture was just pure and clean. It's also these types of BD's that make me at the "2K is mushy, looks like crap compared to 4K" comments all of a sudden.

Precisely, but trying to convince a male tech-hound of such a fact is simply impossible and best left alone...so don't get me (or the others) going because within minutes you'll have a vampire-like raid going with people explaining how we should be sitting 5 feet from our 5 foot displays to have a better "understanding".

BTW: I have my ipad 3. It's fantastic. So is the 2nd one. I don't use mine 8 inches from my face, but I'd say the rez increase from 15-18 inches is nice, but hardly breathtaking. My wife actually said she'll take the 2 with no problem and thinks we should have just got another and pocketed the $100 as we really don't use the camera and rarely game on it.

And honestly, I'd says she's probably correct, but I'm a man so I don't have to make sense.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #109 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

It's less of an issue with films, though the very best Blu-ray encodes do still show up a lack of resolution.
Try and use your display for anything else like gaming (PC gaming, consoles aren't rendering 1080p) or computing use, and you should see an obvious lack of resolution, particularly with text.

I'm surprised that you aren't noticing a huge difference between the iPad 2 and 3 screens. If nothing else, there's an almost total lack of any kind of pixel grid on the 3, which I found to be very distracting on the original iPad and iPad 2.

Font rendering is considerably improved at all sizes, but especially smaller text in the browser. Colour reproduction is also significantly improved.

As I said before though, the biggest difference is when you have only been using the new iPad for a few days and go back to the older ones, they look so much worse. Same thing when you try to run a non-retina app on the new iPad. I've spent a decent bit of money on some music creation apps, and a lot of them look terrible now. (ReBirth, Korg iMS-20, Animoog)
post #110 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

^ there's a difference, and seeing I own both I have used them side by side. In my opinion It's simply not nearly as dramatic as some claim during "normal" use. But I suppose "normal use" (15-18 inches for me) is a useless term as at least one person here uses it 8 inches from their eyeballs...which for me is the distance from my thumb tip to my index finger tip when I make an "L" with them. Insane, but whatever.

It's fine. The first and second were a bit under-rezzed and this one's complete overkill.

Again, which is precisely the goal for a huge percentage of tech-heads.

James

post #111 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/16/a...ay-microscope/

People that think this is overkill do not understand the benefit of resolution.

I rest my case.
post #112 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/16/a...ay-microscope/

People that think this is overkill do not understand the benefit of resolution.

I rest my case.

Right.

And people who actually think that's how the screens compare at a typical user distance do not understand resolution and the variables that rule it.

Or they do and are deliberately attempting to mislead others.

I rest my case.

James

post #113 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The furthest I ever use my iPad is at full arms length, so obviously not too far. Even then the difference is stark to my eyes.

I'm tempted to say that the new iPad is as good as, if not better than most print I've seen (magazine print etc.) especially as magazines are now releasing "retina" issues.
It may not have as high a resolution (264 PPI vs 300+ DPI) but each pixel on an LCD is pin-sharp, whereas dots of ink on paper are not, so far higher densities are required on paper for the same level of sharpness.

I can still see room for improvement though, as some text and font choices do still want some extra resolution, but considering the number of people that haven't noticed much of an improvement from this upgrade, I question whether it will ever change.

People were expecting to be blown away by the new screen, but the reality is that while it's a massive difference in clarity, it doesn't jump out at you. It feels like a "natural" upgrade, and it's only after using it exclusively for a while and going back to anything else that it becomes apparent how big an upgrade it was. (or using apps which don't yet have Retina support for text/image rendering) But I suppose it also depends what you're using it for. If you're just watching DVD rips or streaming Netflix then you aren't going to notice anything.

I think the difference is actually more stark with the way that Microsoft renders fonts compared to Apple. Text when connected to my PC via Remote Desktop (using Jump Desktop) at 2048×1536 has actually stood out more than any other app for the device. With the desktop rendered with that resolution on a 9.7ʺ display, it's very small, but pin-sharp and completely legible.

Personally I wish that Apple had gone for 3× the density rather than 2×, as there would be no doubt about that being at or beyond the limits of human vision. I know why they didn't of course (not feasible today, and they would have been beaten to the punch with 200+ PPI displays from other vendors) but it's somewhat disappointing as I don't think this is quite enough resolution, but doubling it again (their only option) would be excessive and is likely never going to happen.

I'm more concerned about all the other displays in my life now though. They just look terrible for text rendering and image editing now when compared to the iPad.
post #114 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Just wondering, has anyone here tried watching Blu-ray on their iPad? I've been experimenting with various quality settings (which takes ages to encode) and 8-10mbps ABR seems to be the best balance between quality and filesize, producing files in the 6-10GB range while still preserving most fine details and film grain. Below that, and there starts to be noticeable degradation.

Perhaps I got lucky, but my screen almost measures D65 with near-perfect colour, and while I always thought it was ridiculous that people could even consider watching a whole film on something like an iPad, it can be surprisingly engaging now due to how good films look on the new display.

It's not for me, but I can definitely see how people could start to use an iPad as their only entertainment device. Books, music, film, web, photography, magazines, games... at this point, what can't it do?

If 1080p had been supported via AirPlay Mirroring (it does support streaming 1080p videos from the iPad though) I could definitely see someone replacing all their home entertainment with an iPad, an Apple TV and a projector. With the size of 1080p projectors these days, that's probably a better HT setup than a lot of people have, that could fit in a backpack.

I'm definitely beginning to question buying a 70lb television and building a monstrosity of a PC last year now.

My mistake, I read that as being a screen protector.

If you just want a better grip and are finding the aluminium too slippery, I can recommend either of these skins:

http://www.zagg.com/leatherskins/ipad3.php
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/...rd-series.html

The Zagg skins are thicker, but are genuine leather and offer a good grip, and protection for the back of your device.
The SGP skins are not real leather, but add texture to the back which improves your grip and protects the back while being very thin. (with one on my old iPad 2, it's still thinner than the iPad 3)

Alternatively, I have heard very good things about these cases:
http://beyzacases.com/pd-the-new-ipa...utive-case.cfm (you can save about 25% if you shop elsewhere)

I find that most folio style cases are too thick and bulky, but that looks pretty nice.

Personally, I've been looking over a lot of options, and I think I'm going to stick with a "naked" iPad and buy a sleeve for carrying it about. (so I can just chuck it in a bag without worrying)

can you watch blu ray quality movies on the new pad?

if so are they full resolution are netlfix like compressed?

if you can watch blu rays what format do you download the to your pad.
the i cloud or netflix streaming? any others?

i might just get one of these puppies if they can do or come close to br res.

neflixis our nemesis
post #115 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

And people who actually think that's how the screens compare at a typical user distance do not understand resolution and the variables that rule it.

This must have been posted while I was typing up my reply. Those examples do show the difference, but I agree that it's a fairly unrealistic comparison.

I still think Apple's direct comparisons are best.
Maps: Books: These must be viewed at 100% in your browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

can you watch blu ray quality movies on the new pad?

if so are they full resolution are netlfix like compressed?

I am using Handbrake to encode discs I own to .m4v files. I'm compressing them to 8mbps with custom settings for the highest quality at that bitrate. (taking 3-4 hours per film depending on length & complexity)
It is compressed compared to the Blu-ray, but is only noticeable when I view those files on my HDTV, and not the iPad's 9.7ʺ screen. Film grain and fine details are all preserved at these sizes.

This results in files that are in the 6-8GB range (I have a 64GB iPad) but I tend to stream them from my PC rather than actually store them on the device. Any smaller and I start to notice compression artefacts or patches of noise being removed from the image. Considering that the discs themselves are in the 30-40GB range, I think it's quite impressive that they can be compressed that much further without any significant quality loss to be honest.

For DVDs, I use similar settings but at 2mbps rather than 8mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

i might just get one of these puppies if they can do or come close to br res.

The new iPad screen has 50% more resolution than Blu-ray does. They don't come close, they exceed its resolution.
post #116 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to concur with Chron here. An 8ish GB BluRay rip is extraordinary on the iPad. If you don't see the difference and think it's wonderful vs. the previous generation, fine, but please turn in your videophile card at the door.

As for other uses, the font rendering at normal viewing distances is extraordinary. Reading on the new iPad is an absolute joy. I used to think the old one was good; so I guess this one is just great.

post #117 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW i read that Safari doesn't upscale as of now. So those who think upscale is useless maybe should also check their software spec
post #118 of 299 Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

FWIW i read that Safari doesn't upscale as of now. So those who think upscale is useless maybe should also check their software spec

I believe the issue that you're talking about is to do with Safari downscaling "optimized" JPEGs over two megapixels in size. Progressive JPEGs and other image types can be up to five megapixels in size.

This is nothing new, and is something that Apple has documented, it's just that people are actually noticing it now that the iPad has a 2048×1536 display (3 megapixels) and web developers are updating their sites with "retina" graphics.

For example, the Apple.com homepage serves up this image by default, but this image if you visit the website on an iPad 3.

Text, vector images, elements created in code (CSS gradients etc.) are all rendered pin-sharp on the display.

Personally I feel like web designers have been very wasteful in recent years, using images for UI elements (buttons etc.) that can be drawn in HTML. Really, there's very little that actually needs to be an image file other than photographs and other graphics.
post #119 of 299 Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Ya I was talking about image and video. This is one of the article talking about safari:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3156-5.html

As for the different image, it could be just that one is for desktop browser, and the other for mobile device. Does HTML5 or H.264 support this "unique" resolution at all? If not then retina display will be overkill not because it is lousy/ redundant hardware but because software has yet to catch up.

Nonetheless my point is this: That the hardware and software has to be optimised for each other. So those who think retina is not useful may need to check their specs. I have yet to get the new iPad but I would think FaceTime will not be much different, for obvious reasons. We need to figure out the whole chain before jumping to conclusion.
post #120 of 299 Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for the different image, it could be just that one is for desktop browser, and the other for mobile device. Does HTML5 or H.264 support this "unique" resolution at all? If not then retina display will be overkill not because it is lousy/ redundant hardware but because software has yet to catch up.

The browser reports that it is using a pixel ratio of 2 (rather than 1×) and the website detects that, serving up the new images. Seems like a fairly good solution to me. (though Apple's implementation means that both images are downloaded, whereas it can be done in a way which only downloads one version)

I'm not sure what you mean about "HTML5" supporting it though, websites can be built for any resolution.

My point though, was that websites shouldn't be using graphics for text and UI elements. We now have solutions for using custom fonts on the web that work across all modern browsers, so there's no need to render text as images, which looks bad on the iPad or on a PC hooked up to a TV with the zoom turned up.

This is just being done on my PC, but here are a couple of websites scaled up to huge sizes. (I don't know if you're familiar with the iPad, but it dynamically scales all pages)

Notice how most of Engadget's "text" is actually images. There's no reason for thisit's a waste of bandwidth and as you can see, looks terrible at anything other than 100% size.

At The Verge, much more of the UI is rendered as actual text, but the logo is still an image that doesn't scale well. Because it's black and white, it probably wouldn't be much of a size increase if they simply replaced it with a "retina" sized graphic, or better yet, they could replace it with a vector image which would support scaling to any size.

There are still many small images here which could be replaced with CSS. Here's a demo of what can be done for example: http://nicolasgallagher.com/pure-css-gui-icons/demo/ Note that these all maintain their sharpness as you scale them up. (they aren't perfect, but it's just a demo)

Giant Bomb is an example of another site which is going even further, and has more complex/detailed UI elements drawn as HTML/CSS elements, such as the rounded corners, gradients etc. Even though the site is scaled up to a large size, the game covers on the right still look sharp, as they are using higher resolution assets.

They still have things on the page that wouldn't be difficult to replace with vector graphics though, or even unicode text elements.
For example, the downwards arrow they (and the verge) use in the menu could be replaced with ▼

As for video, I believe the iPad still only supports up to 1080p with its hardware decoder, so it does require some upscaling. (but not much if you keep it OAR)

It would have been nice to try out some 4K footage scaled down to fit the screen, but I don't think that's something we have to worry about with this generation of the device.

Quote:

Nonetheless my point is this: That the hardware and software has to be optimised for each other. So those who think retina is not useful may need to check their specs. I have yet to get the new iPad but I would think FaceTime will not be much different, for obvious reasons. We need to figure out the whole chain before jumping to conclusion.

That's true, but text in virtually all apps was automatically upgraded to retina for example, if apps were using the standard way to render text. (some apps such as magazines, which are effectively a collection of JPGs, or apps which render differently such as Kindle, do need updated though)

Just about all my apps have already been updated with retina support, the only real exceptions being games and music creation tools so far. (though a fair number of games have had updates)

Most of the apps which haven't received updates yet, still look great, as it's only UI icons that are scaled and text or other interface elements are rendered at native resolution.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page