Why do most go for an LED when Plasmas have better PQ? - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Why do most go for an LED when Plasmas have better PQ?

OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Brent Madden's Avatar Brent Madden
11:49 AM Liked: 10
post #91 of 144
03-12-2012 | Posts: 1,723
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

OLED smokes both technologies without even trying. The only weakness OLED will have is price.


When there is an OLED that equals or beats the 9G KURO Elite please direct me to it as that's a TV I'd consider purchasing. Until then I'm completely satisfied with my KURO 151FD.
Brent Madden's Avatar Brent Madden
11:50 AM Liked: 10
post #92 of 144
03-12-2012 | Posts: 1,723
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Plasmas do not have the best picture quality and this is coming from someone who had all plasma TVs bought a vt30 only to be like what is up with this picture then ro buy the Sony led 929 only to be blown away so plasmas have reached the end of their life and are not as good period


See my above post. You're so completely wrong it's not even funny.
thewayout2217's Avatar thewayout2217
11:59 AM Liked: 10
post #93 of 144
03-12-2012 | Posts: 36
Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottiz View Post


Clearly you know nothing about me. I have a 51" plasma, so tell me how does that make me a biased LCD fan? If not being blind to and admitting numerous drawbacks of Plasma technology makes me a biased LCD fan then so be it, better that than living in denial.

How about looking at the numberous drawbacks of LCDs? You seem to ignore those when making posts about plasma drawbacks, which gives the impression that you are in fact a biased lcd fan.

Lcd drawbacks include: worse black levels, poor motion control, poor color accuracy compared to plasmas, soap opera effects, flashlighting, and the PQ of even the best LED LCDs can barely match the 5-7 year old kuro plasmas.

Which one you rather have? PQ, screen uniformity, and black levels are the most important to me hence why plasma is my best bet.
ozar's Avatar ozar
12:02 PM Liked: 68
post #94 of 144
03-12-2012 | Posts: 536
Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani View Post

So my question is why do most go for an LED when Plasmas have better PQ and offer higher screens sizes for lesser prices?

Don't know the answer to that, but I current have three different LED models and one plasma model, all less than two years old, and the plasma unit definitely has the best picture quality of the four sets and it was less expensive than an LED model of comparable size in the same brand.
AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56
12:41 PM Liked: 44
post #95 of 144
03-12-2012 | Posts: 1,122
Joined: Aug 2005
Kind of funny that this thread is going on for so long since I'm pretty sure the original post was someone trolling (showed up right around when two other new accounts popped out of nowhere asking similar trollish questions). But anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayout2217 View Post


How about looking at the numberous drawbacks of LCDs? You seem to ignore those when making posts about plasma drawbacks, which gives the impression that you are in fact a biased lcd fan.

Lcd drawbacks include: worse black levels, poor motion control, poor color accuracy compared to plasmas, soap opera effects, flashlighting, and the PQ of even the best LED LCDs can barely match the 5-7 year old kuro plasmas.

The above wasn't addressed to me but I'll jump in...I don't think people call out these issues with LCD in all cases because I don't think that it's a GIVEN that ALL LED LCD sets will be prone to all these problems.

I have a Sony NX720...it's not even top of the line but I think it addresses the potential problems with LCD pretty well:

Black levels are quite good. Hard to say if they are 'worse' than plasma but I don't find them to be objectionable. You might say blacks are slightly crushed but not as bad as they were just a few years ago IMO.

My set handles motion quite well on the 'Clear' setting with no SOE due to the use of BFI techniques rather than interpolation.

My set has no flashlighting or clouding despite being edge lit.

Now granted a plasma offering similar performance might be cheaper, but I don't think the gap is as wide as people suggest in all cases. If we're comparing to Kuros...what would a 60 inch Kuro cost me back in the day? $6,500? And when recent LCD improvements become cheaper and become more mainstream the only remaining complaint will be the tired 'why did it take them so long?'
s2mikey's Avatar s2mikey
06:23 PM Liked: 25
post #96 of 144
03-12-2012 | Posts: 2,565
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

An interesting post but one thing I don't understand is your complaint about high quality tvs being expensive. The Kuro wasn't exactly cheap when it was being sold.

Correct - I bought my KURO later in its product life stage. They had been out for a while and I snagged one for a little under $2500 which at the time was a good price. Higher than most, but within reach. Also had some BB reward zone points to use.

Even factoring in adjusted dollars - the top of the line Sony 929 or Sharp Elite or even the top-tier Sammy are $4K and up.
GeraldRommel's Avatar GeraldRommel
07:00 AM Liked: 10
post #97 of 144
03-13-2012 | Posts: 27
Joined: Dec 2006
I'm going with LED LCD over plasma for a few reasons.

Heat is first. I live the swamp. 80% humidity on a dry day. Temperatures in the 100's. My air conditioner already has to work hard enough. I am already running a pretty hot running PC and 2 LCD monitors that raise the temperature of a small room very noticeably.

Power. Electric bill can be too high already. I want lower, not something that can be anywhere from 50% to 300% more expensive to run.

And this one is very specific. Weight. I live alone most of the year, with my girlfriend for the rest of it. When a hurricane comes here again. I want to be able to put this thing into my car on my own. Your insurance will cover most things in a house after a hurricane, but a TV is not one. I learned that the hard way.
MasterofBlasting's Avatar MasterofBlasting
07:54 AM Liked: 11
post #98 of 144
03-13-2012 | Posts: 295
Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldRommel View Post

I'm going with LED LCD over plasma for a few reasons.

Heat is first. I live the swamp. 80% humidity on a dry day. Temperatures in the 100's. My air conditioner already has to work hard enough. I am already running a pretty hot running PC and 2 LCD monitors that raise the temperature of a small room very noticeably.

Power. Electric bill can be too high already. I want lower, not something that can be anywhere from 50% to 300% more expensive to run.

And this one is very specific. Weight. I live alone most of the year, with my girlfriend for the rest of it. When a hurricane comes here again. I want to be able to put this thing into my car on my own. Your insurance will cover most things in a house after a hurricane, but a TV is not one. I learned that the hard way.

Ha. I too live in a swamp. Well, a few miles from one, but close enough to wake up to the smell of marsh fires in the mornings.

I have a Plasma, and have none of the problems you are worried about. My TV is pretty heavy, but not that much heavier than a 50" LED/LCD. The reason power consumption isn't an issue for me, is because I have a dimly lit apartment. Not only does this lower my energy costs but it makes for the ideal Plasma viewing environment.

While there is heat put off from my TV, it isn't nearly as much as the sets in the stores. Those are on blast, while mine is at a reasonable brightness. It may make my room 1 or 2 degrees hotter, but nothing I can't handle.

I run all of my equipment at least 6 hours a day. TV, PC, AVR, Sub, and the occasional gaming system a few times a week. My bill has never been more than $65. Oh, and you can put your TV on your renters or home owners insurance. Just have to be sure to do so.
tostada's Avatar tostada
09:35 PM Liked: 11
post #99 of 144
03-14-2012 | Posts: 46
Joined: May 2006
GeraldRommel -

Are you only looking at 5-year-old plasmas? How about something that's actually currently on sale?

Look at a 55" Panasonic ST50 plasma. It uses $24/year electricity. It weighs 61.8 lbs. It's just not possible for something that uses $2 of electricity per month to heat your house significantly.

A 55" TV is pretty big and unwieldy. It's not going to fit in a car. But 62 lbs. is not too heavy to carry to your car (and strap it on the roof, I guess).

Now, to be fair, comparing apples to apples and only looking at modern 55" TVs that cost about $1,500 you'll see that the 55" Samsung D6000 LED uses $16/year electricity and weighs 39.7 lbs. But I doubt you were complaining about the weight of LCDs a few years ago when they all weighed more.


And, umm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldRommel View Post

When a hurricane comes here again. I want to be able to put this thing into my car on my own. Your insurance will cover most things in a house after a hurricane, but a TV is not one. I learned that the hard way.

Base your buying decisions on whatever you want, but tell me you realize that "I need the lightest TV possible so I can carry it to my car faster when the next hurricane comes!" is absurd.

And if your insurance doesn't cover your TV then you need better insurance.
TM's Avatar TM
01:26 PM Liked: 10
post #100 of 144
03-15-2012 | Posts: 24
Joined: Dec 2006
I have both plasma and lcd in my home. Plasma is Panasonic 50PH10 monitor, lcd is Samsung 40C6500 led lcd. Even plasma not calibrated and old it gives much much more realistic picture than lcd. I feed both same satellite receiver, tried various sources but I always prefer plasmas natural picture. Lcd has more bright more sharp picture but that is not my taste. Many of may friends does not agree with me, beacuse lcd's sharp picture makes them happy and I guess selling point is this.

Some said plasmas are heavy and power hungry. Being heavy is bot a buying point execpt extrem circumstances. I never stay a home that walls can not support a plasmas weight About power, most people idles their car so long time, savings and ecologic impact about plasmas is negliable compared with this.
rogo's Avatar rogo
06:10 PM Liked: 634
post #101 of 144
03-15-2012 | Posts: 30,410
Joined: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostada View Post

Base your buying decisions on whatever you want, but tell me you realize that "I need the lightest TV possible so I can carry it to my car faster when the next hurricane comes!" is absurd.

And if your insurance doesn't cover your TV then you need better insurance.

This weight thing is a "meme", kind of like cats doing funny things with cheeseburgers or "Never Gonna Give You Up" appearing on your screen, Tostada.

In a hurricane, one's car is far more likely to be damaged than one's home (faling trees, accidents, etc.).

A properly mounted TV is not going anywhere unless the windows are blown out (which everyone in hurricane country should have a plan for).

I agree that the plasma no longer puts out any meaningful amount of heat for the reasons you describe: It doesn't use enough power to. But I suppose if one is going for the absolute lowest heat/energy effect, LED is clearly superior in that regard.
[Irishman]'s Avatar [Irishman]
03:13 PM Liked: 63
post #102 of 144
03-24-2012 | Posts: 1,480
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent madden View Post

when there is an oled that equals or beats the 9g kuro elite please direct me to it as that's a tv i'd consider purchasing. Until then i'm completely satisfied with my kuro 151fd.

+1
wxman's Avatar wxman
03:26 PM Liked: 244
post #103 of 144
03-24-2012 | Posts: 1,852
Joined: Apr 2003
I have both a Pioneer 5020 and a Sharp 735. Bought the 70 inch Sharp for the size and 3D. As mentioned by others, LED can not match the Kuro with blacks and off angle viewing. However, after having the Sharp calibrated by the same person who did my 5020, the colors are virtually identical, and in fact maybe a tad better as the Sharp allows for a true 10 point calibration. The 5020 has a slight red push even after calibration. Motion on both seem equal, and I can see blur on both at times and also minor DSE. Overall, the 5020 is better than the 735, but the sheer size does overcome some of the limitations. I enjoy both.
David_B's Avatar David_B
08:04 PM Liked: 26
post #104 of 144
03-25-2012 | Posts: 989
Joined: Jan 2001
Any Sony Trimaster EL beats your 9g KURO in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

When there is an OLED that equals or beats the 9G KURO Elite please direct me to it as that's a TV I'd consider purchasing. Until then I'm completely satisfied with my KURO 151FD.


David_B's Avatar David_B
08:11 PM Liked: 26
post #105 of 144
03-25-2012 | Posts: 989
Joined: Jan 2001
Why do you care that this guy wants to move his TV with him when he evacuates?

I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostada View Post

GeraldRommel -

Are you only looking at 5-year-old plasmas? How about something that's actually currently on sale?

Look at a 55" Panasonic ST50 plasma. It uses $24/year electricity. It weighs 61.8 lbs. It's just not possible for something that uses $2 of electricity per month to heat your house significantly.

A 55" TV is pretty big and unwieldy. It's not going to fit in a car. But 62 lbs. is not too heavy to carry to your car (and strap it on the roof, I guess).

Now, to be fair, comparing apples to apples and only looking at modern 55" TVs that cost about $1,500 you'll see that the 55" Samsung D6000 LED uses $16/year electricity and weighs 39.7 lbs. But I doubt you were complaining about the weight of LCDs a few years ago when they all weighed more.


And, umm ...



Base your buying decisions on whatever you want, but tell me you realize that "I need the lightest TV possible so I can carry it to my car faster when the next hurricane comes!" is absurd.

And if your insurance doesn't cover your TV then you need better insurance.


pds3's Avatar pds3
05:20 AM Liked: 15
post #106 of 144
03-26-2012 | Posts: 231
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I have both a Pioneer 5020 and a Sharp 735. Bought the 70 inch Sharp for the size and 3D. As mentioned by others, LED can not match the Kuro with blacks and off angle viewing. However, after having the Sharp calibrated by the same person who did my 5020, the colors are virtually identical, and in fact maybe a tad better as the Sharp allows for a true 10 point calibration. The 5020 has a slight red push even after calibration. Motion on both seem equal, and I can see blur on both at times and also minor DSE. Overall, the 5020 is better than the 735, but the sheer size does overcome some of the limitations. I enjoy both.

That is indeed very high praise for the Sharp's picture quality.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe
07:10 AM Liked: 185
post #107 of 144
03-26-2012 | Posts: 7,350
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

OLED smokes both technologies without even trying. The only weakness OLED will have is price.

It's so awesome that it doesn't even need to try. Holy $hit.

James
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd
12:45 PM Liked: 1031
post #108 of 144
03-26-2012 | Posts: 7,359
Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Why do you care that this guy wants to move his TV with him when he evacuates?

I don't get it.

Why do you care that he cares after all this time? I don't get it.

I'd like to see what happens to a large flat panel someone's trying to carry by himself and stick into the back seat of a sedan in hurricane winds, though...would be very entertaining!
doozer12's Avatar doozer12
07:55 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 144
03-27-2012 | Posts: 166
Joined: Jan 2010
I just thought I would throw in my experience with my plasma. I realize this isnt really what the OP was looking for, but anyway...

I bought my 50" panny 50px50u n 2005 (may have been 04, not sure). I was so worried about burn in and how long it would last etc.... I think we babied it for the first 6 months... Since then it has had plenty of opportunity to fail. It has been our main TV all this time, with a family of 4. Video games left paused half a day... Snot covered hands all over the display... ( the kids, not mine!) . We moved 3 times, once was a long ride in a moving truck (Fl. To ME)... And how does it look over 7 years later?

Perfect.
DaveC19's Avatar DaveC19
08:14 PM Liked: 13
post #110 of 144
03-27-2012 | Posts: 413
Joined: May 2005
The main reason I avoided plasma was when things get bright the whole thing struggles and then dims for some reason. It is like the power supply is too weak to put out enough light.

The other was this awful dither effect. In smoothly gradated areas and dark scenes you get this moving dot noise, as if you are looking at an old VGA card with a lack of colors. I looks horrible to me. Since the area I use for gaming/ movies is smaller I sit closer than usual and see this pretty clearly.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12
08:31 PM Liked: 10
post #111 of 144
03-27-2012 | Posts: 166
Joined: Jan 2010
Ive never had those issues... The only downside to my plasma was the price I paid.. It just went on sale when I bought it from Circuit City...

$4995 DOH!!!
OldSchoolMETAL's Avatar OldSchoolMETAL
06:14 AM Liked: 12
post #112 of 144
03-28-2012 | Posts: 404
Joined: Nov 2011
I bought a plasma because of all plasma pushing as being the best. After owning for over a week, I found the opposite. With LED LCD, with local dimming, clouding can be alleiviated and flash lighting is minimal to rare.

I hated plasma because of dither noise, IR that was slow going away and hurt the pq, the irritating flickering from the ABL issue (along with brightness strobing), the pq ruining reflective screens, the low brightness output, the extreme heat output that messed up my thermostat, and inferior black levels opposed to popular belief.

Some may like their plasma, I don't. The only benefit SOMETIMES is the lower price.

I feel bad that I set up my friend with a Panasonic 50ST30 but at that time, I didn't know, or had experienced plasma technology to know of the problems. Then again, to less discerning eyes, these problems can be over looked for the cheaper price.
kemicalburns's Avatar kemicalburns
10:18 PM Liked: 10
post #113 of 144
03-31-2012 | Posts: 15
Joined: Apr 2009
I have $1500-$1900 which tv to go with? I have read this entire thread and find that an LED is probably the way to go. I have a very bright room during the day. my current tv is 5+ years old and after replacing the bulb multiple times i am just tired of the hassle. Now the tv sits above my fireplace roughly 4-5' and i dont want to have viewing issues because of the angle both looking up at it or from the side. I am also worried about any potential glare from the brightness of the room on any tv display I am to purchase.

My folks have a 6month old Samsung plasma 50-55" the picture is great but the glare thru the window at times sucks. My current living room has my couch 14' from tv. this is a rental so i am unsure what size room lies ahead and honestly shouldnt get any smaller.

I appreciate your time

Current: JVC 56" D-ILA tech FN56 is model
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn
07:53 AM Liked: 240
post #114 of 144
04-06-2012 | Posts: 2,965
Joined: Nov 2003
I like both plasma and led/lcd, but in most rooms I have a TV, I prefer plasma entirely due to off axis viewing. We rarely have a room where all the seats are in perfect alignment with the front of the TV.

I have a 2009 panasonic 50gt15 plasma in my family room next to my thermostat. It gives off a lot of heat.

Burn in isn't anything I worry about. My kids play PS3 games for hours on end. Sometimes, if I look really close, I can see the HUD image, but it always goes away and is never noticeable at a normal viewing distance.
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan
11:00 AM Liked: 221
post #115 of 144
04-06-2012 | Posts: 3,454
Joined: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani View Post

gr8 thanx guys for all your replies. will stick with an LED

What is an LED? Certainly not a TV technology as the LCD manufactures would want the public to believe.
Ace1965's Avatar Ace1965
11:46 AM Liked: 13
post #116 of 144
04-06-2012 | Posts: 103
Joined: Jan 2012
Don't know where I read it but OLED's will have a potential for BurnIn as Bad as Plasma's have had until things are ironed out!
seanclayton's Avatar seanclayton
08:20 PM Liked: 10
post #117 of 144
04-09-2012 | Posts: 47
Joined: Nov 2010
Burn-in is the ultimate killer: Video game HUDS, computer taskbar/dock, still pictures, etc. Only thing that it exceeds is watching movies...
Daniel Perales's Avatar Daniel Perales
04:57 AM Liked: 10
post #118 of 144
04-14-2012 | Posts: 95
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post

The main reason I avoided plasma was when things get bright the whole thing struggles and then dims for some reason. It is like the power supply is too weak to put out enough light.

The other was this awful dither effect. In smoothly gradated areas and dark scenes you get this moving dot noise, as if you are looking at an old VGA card with a lack of colors. I looks horrible to me. Since the area I use for gaming/ movies is smaller I sit closer than usual and see this pretty clearly.



I have to agree. I see the same thing with my sister's Samsung 58 inch tv. The dithering and dot noise drives me up the wall.


Danny
amt's Avatar amt
07:38 AM Liked: 12
post #119 of 144
04-15-2012 | Posts: 465
Joined: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

i could be wrong but isn't saying burn-in is a problem with plasmas kind of silly these days? from everything i've read, plasmas have made huge strides in preventing burn-in since there early days and most plasmas made in the last 5 years won't really have burn-in issues... and certainly nice 2011/2012 models...

I have a plasma (panasonic) made in the last 5 years and it certainly does have burn in. And if I buy another plasma, it is my #1 concern. Unless I can return a plasma in the first 2 years of ownership for any burn in issues I can see, then I am worried it's still a problem. BTW does anyone know if there is any plasma maker today will let you return a TV because of burn-in issues?
msantti's Avatar msantti
05:12 PM Liked: 27
post #120 of 144
07-15-2012 | Posts: 299
Joined: Jul 2003
I think a lot of people when looking for a TV just say they want an LCD flat panel. Eve the most tech illiterate has heard of LCD. Heck, phones, tablets, computers, and some watches have LCD. A very common and known world.

Chances are if you ask 10 people if they know about plasma screen tech, only a third may know about it.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3