Samsung TV watches YOU! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
PCD
Member
 
PCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The creepy part is the third party apps that could gather data and the fact that Samsung has not released terms of service (re..privacy concerns) yet, according to the article.

http://hdguru.com/is-your-new-hdtv-watching-you/7643/

Evil Sysadmin

PCD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 4,180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 858
the whole face tracking feature is definitely not something I'm interested in...way too much personal info potentially being collected...be careful watching porn on your new Samsung
TitusTroy is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
PCD
Member
 
PCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I own a Samsung and like them, but I'm not happy with the increasing invasion of privacy lately (not just Samsung).

Yes, the soloution is to leave it in the box...in the store, or put a piece of tape over the lens I guess.

Sneaky part here is unlike a webcam on a laptop for example, there is NO light that comes on to tell you the camera is active.

Before I am told to remove my tinfoil hat, please read the story below. The school was caught lying after some students reported the webcam light blinking now and again.

http://www.crn.com/news/security/224...s9g**.ecappj03

I used to like Sony as well, but after the rootkit fiasco I stayed away. I may do the same with Samsung.

Evil Sysadmin

PCD is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 8,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post

I own a Samsung and like them, but I'm not happy with the increasing invasion of privacy lately (not just Samsung).

Yes, the soloution is to leave it in the box...in the store, or put a piece of tape over the lens I guess.

Sneaky part here is unlike a webcam on a laptop for example, there is NO light that comes on to tell you the camera is active.

Before I am told to remove my tinfoil hat, please read the story below. The school was caught lying after some students reported the webcam light blinking now and again.

http://www.crn.com/news/security/224...s9g**.ecappj03

I used to like Sony as well, but after the rootkit fiasco I stayed away. I may do the same with Samsung.




If you look really close into the camera lens this is what you will see!





Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Senior Member
 
John4721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Heh. Reminds me of some of the rumors I heard about people's Xbox Kinects taking photos of them automatically and randomly during gaming while "casually attired".
John4721 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
PCD
Member
 
PCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

If you look really close into the camera lens this is what you will see!





Ian

I like it

Evil Sysadmin

PCD is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post

I like it

Geez, what next, rampant reports of people exposing themselves in front of their flat panels?
hughh is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Souvlaki Space Station
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Sony flat panels have have had a small, low-resolution camera for the presence sensor built in for a while now.

desktop Sonus faber Toy monitor| REL T Zero| Sony UDA1|Sony MDR-Z7|Audioquest Nighthawk|Audioquest Dragonfly Red
surround Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Panasonic 60ZT60|Oppo 103D|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
stereo Sonus faber Toy tower|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony BDP-S1700ES|Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit + Tube Box S|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
CatBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post

Yes, the soloution is to leave it in the box...in the store, or put a piece of tape over the lens I guess.

Or, like most people with a Smart TV, just don't bother setting up the networking...
CatBus is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
DarkVenture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First webcams & mics came built into every laptop, then front facing cams into every phone and tablet, and now TVs & game consoles as well. Every year we seem to be taking a step closer to making the Orwellian nightmare a reality. Myself, I put electrical tape over all those cameras my devices come with, and if it was my tv, I'd open up the backpanel and disconnect or desolder the mics. Or as Catbus suggested, just deny the machine an internet connection. (For now, TVs will still work without one)
DarkVenture is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,577
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVenture View Post

First webcams & mics came built into every laptop, then front facing cams into every phone and tablet, and now TVs & game consoles as well. Every year we seem to be taking a step closer to making the Orwellian nightmare a reality. Myself, I put electrical tape over all those cameras my devices come with, and if it was my tv, I'd open up the backpanel and disconnect or desolder the mics. Or as Catbus suggested, just deny the machine an internet connection. (For now, TVs will still work without one)

Someone is a little paranoid, Relax, you really think someone is going to hack the network for the sole purpose to see you on your camera phone, tablet or tv without you knowing? ...But than again you could be right knowing the way this world is going.

Media room- LG 4K OLED EG9600, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Samsung 4K K8500, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC, Klipsch Reference R-62II, Rc52II,PS4

Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^ya but it gives perpetrators an OPTION. Not hooking the TV up to Internet is best

In my country all photo taking device are required to have an audible click for this purpose. All cameras should have a power on indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Geez, what next, rampant reports of people exposing themselves in front of their flat panels?

Or using their iPad naked in front of the TV Sorry I just got to slip it in here
specuvestor is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
PCD
Member
 
PCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Someone is a little paranoid, Relax, you really think someone is going to hack the network for the sole purpose to see you on your camera phone, tablet or tv without you knowing? ...But than again you could be right knowing the way this world is going.

Marketing and money, plain and simple.

Not to mention theres a saying somewhere that if something CAN be abused, it WILL be abused.

You obviously did not read the link to the story I posted above.

Read it.

you wouldnt be upset if the school was enabling the webcam (with no prior warning) and watching your kid in the privacy of thier own room, at home?

C'mon

Evil Sysadmin

PCD is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
And this one isn't even designed for the Russian market.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
PCD
Member
 
PCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
PCD is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
d21clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More coverage, with a big picture (no pun intended) spin.

http://www.infowars.com/samsung-tvs-can-be-hacked-to-spy-on-viewers/
d21clt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off