Sharp Plays "Stayin' Alive", Sells Shares to Foxconn - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the latest turn of events it would appear that Sharp might well be out of the LCD business in 5 years. If this factory becomes nothing more than a tablet screen/smart phone screen/Apple TV screen factory then we might well see the death of greater than 55" flat panel.

Samsung and LG have had no luck in their ability to cost effectively produce a panel larger than 55" and their gen 8.5 factories will not be able to produce these larger sizes any time soon.

My understanding is that these fabs can be converted to produce OLED but once again they are limited to gen 8.5 mother glass so we will see OLED stop at 55" as well.

Does this mean that Plasma might find a safe haven in larger screen size? Do you think that Panasonic might have lucked into a market that could help their remaining factories stay alive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 654
The 10G Sakai factory is not being repurposed for tablets/smart phones. Sharp is repurposing the 8G Kameyama fab for those.

I do tend to agree that people optimistic that OLEDs over 60" are coming off of 8G fabs are largely delusional. The same companies have shown no inclination to produce LCDs over 60" despite mature production processes. Why they would produce OLEDs of larger size using immature processes is very unclear to me.

All that said, Sakai is capable of producing up to 5 million 70" panels per year and while I doubt global demand is going to be there anytime soon; I do believe that Sakai will ultimately shift more and more toward 70" panels as the market requires them.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATYPH202 View Post

When Sony (and much less - Panasonic) will abandon TV-sets business, that would be their suicide decision! All their success of now profitable divisions (PSs , PCs ,photo-video cams etc.) is based on their public perception ( completely justifiable!) as best TVs producing company. If they can't compete in that their main area , they gonna end up as miserably as Sanyo, Motorola or Kodak... IMHO

Would rather they focus on content than games per se. Content not only includes games but libraries of music and movies, etc

April 13 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp. Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai plans to win back customers from Apple Inc. by concentrating on mobile devices, games and digital imaging. TVs aren't on his list.

Hirai is falling back on products that made Sony a trendsetter in the 1980s before competition with Apple and Samsung Electronics Co. pushed it into four consecutive losses, culminating in yesterday's announcement the company will eliminate 10,000 jobs. Sony also will take a one-time charge of 75 billion yen ($926 million) as restructuring costs this fiscal year.

The emphasis on three "core businesses" comes after Sony lost 714 billion yen on TVs in the past eight years as demand for its Bravia models slumped. Hirai will cut costs at the TV operations and reduce the number of models in an effort to reach the same profitability target set by former CEO Howard Stringer in 2005.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

When OLEd (or/and CLEd) takes over Samsung will be the one who loses the most money so right now, dispite what one might think, they are in a uncomfortable situation.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46378049/Sams...r_LCD_Business

Are you forgetting that the economy is so sick? I live down the road from a shopping mall that levelled a site, then suspended construction .... four years ago.

There will NOT be any multi-billion dollar investments in OLED glass production as long as current production facilities are running at 10% capacity. The investment would never pay off, and the perception of technical superiority is meaningless.

OLEDs in production quantities await the economic recovery, plus 4 years. They will continue to tease us with gorgeous $100,000 OLED prototypes until then.

As much as we may WANT OLED or other technology, the basic problem is soft demand for flat panels, and excess production capacity.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary,

Shopping malls are out of favor in this country. Here in TX we're having an oil boom, yet malls are closing down, being replaced by retro shopping areas, all over the place.

Economy is doing fine, look at auto sales! Sale of existing homes is rebounding, etc. Problem is Europe's economy and inflated price of oil worldwide.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
lol @ "doing fine." That is only looking at part of the picture. The US economy is riddled with the same sovereign debt problems as the EU faces.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
hughh, don't mistake growth in demand for oil as a general recovery. Gasoline and diesel fuel at $4/gallon is enough to sink the general retail economy all by itself.

The deficit spending being indulged in by the Feds, the States, the County, and Local governments is rapidly inflating the currency, which is effectively a tax on both savings and fixed incomes. Meanwhile the way the government measures inflation is by mainly luxory goods prices, while excluding the cost of food and fuel - the two things you have no option not to buy.

Meanwhile as current government spending tilts further from actual services towards servicing retirements of older employees and paying increasing amounts of interest on the growing debt, that is also sickening the economy (assuming you believe that governments actually do beneficial things rather than being simply parasitic).

I don't know about the rest of you, but my retirement account is dwindling away (because none of the investment options are yielding positive growth) as the value of my home also declines.

What this all means is that all these things have to get better before I again devote any serious amount of my income to something such as a high-end video display. In truth you can get a good quality 50" or larger display for under $1000, and the worst of them are miles better than the old analog TVs we watched for 5 decades. I don't think I'll be buying a $5000 OLED or any other high end display any time soon, and a lot of people are in similar circumstances. That means anybody investing in a new glass foundary is going to lose the entire investment. Don't hold your breath for OLED.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The 10G Sakai factory is not being repurposed for tablets/smart phones.

Is the Sakai factory currently producing product? If yes at what % of capacity? and what size(s) is it producing?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary - This is what I said about fuel... "Problem is Europe's economy and inflated price of oil worldwide."

I wanted to keep it short, did not have enough pages to enumerate the other problems we are having.

I have been retired now for around 6 or 7 yrs and my wife for about 10-11 yrs. We are to the point that we're banking more on a monthly basis than we spend. We are not making thrifty efforts, still eating out 2-3 times a week, drink in 2-3 glasses of wine, etc.

Every time I go to one of the 3 Costco stores close to us, I see lines of people with overloaded baskets. I see people hauling out flat panels. My friend who is a TV/Audio installer tells me he can't cope with the people wanting to install their flat panels on the walls, etc.

Just yesterday, my neighbor's cleaning lady arrived driving a fairly new Lexus SUV.
My grandson will be getting a new truck for his 16th birthday and it goes on and on.

As far as our investments, we were making zilch! I finally moved my account from my bank to USAA and wish now I had made that move a few years ago!

We went to the ballpark to watch the Texas Rangers on Sunday and there were around 45 thousand people, spending on $26 dollar hot dogs (sold 191 during the Saturday game)
drinking grossly overpriced beer paired with nachos, etc. Someone must be doing alright around here! Oh, the Cadillac dealer down the street tore-up the old showroom and is in the process of getting a new one. The BMW dealer cannot get enough of the new 3 series sedans...and it goes on and on.

I am with you, we could do better, but from what I can see, North Texas is doing much better than the way it was around 4-5 yrs ago! Just about 5 yrs ago my favorite furniture store, Shop in Denmark went under. The floor manager, a friend from Norway purchased it and he has now more people working there than the old store ever had.

As for you comment..."assuming you believe that governments actually do beneficial things rather than being simply parasitic". Well, I spent a total of 50 yrs working for the Federal Government (23-USAF and 27-USPS), my wife spent 20 yrs (USPS). That should tell you how I feel. Not the place to get rich, that's for sure, but benefits are OK.

I feel the same way you do, Gary. I am not going to spend on a new OLED or any other
type of expensive toy. Our priorities have shifted and now we'd rather spend the money on a nice Hawaiian vacation (that's what the boss says, not me). We'll see when the new wave of TVs comes out! ;-)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Is the Sakai factory currently producing product? If yes at what % of capacity? and what size(s) is it producing?

As per the 3Q end Dec guidance the 10G is running at 50% utilization. Quattrons are produced in Sakai.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 654
It seems like most of what's coming out of Sakai is 60s and 70s. That said, there is no way to explain a 50% production number with only 60s and 70s. Therefore, they must also be producing Quattrons in smaller sizes there and/or dissembling about the 50% number.

I actually believe it's both. They are artificially claiming "capacity" is lower than what it truly is and also making smaller screens there.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Often-rumored Apple partner Sharp announces production of Hi-DPI IGZO LCD*displays

Sharp revealed today that it began assembling high-performance LCDs last month with increased production in April to meet market demand.
Jefferies & Co.'s Peter Misek is a very outspoken analyst regarding Apple's rumored HDTV. He first claimed*in November*that Sharp is preparing production lines for the iTV, but he later*said*the company plans to build roughly 5 million units beginning this spring with a product launch slated for Q4 2012.

According to Sharp, the LCDs will help the company contribute to creating markets for attractive new products:

Sharp will encourage the application of its new high-resolution LCD panels to high-definition notebook PCs and LCD monitorswhich are both expected to grow in demandas well as to mobile devices. Sharp will also contribute to creating markets for attractive new products.

Today's announcement further explained that the LCDs in production are the world's first panels to incorporate IGZO oxide semiconductors. The technology permits Sharp to produce LCDs with smaller thin-film transistors and increased pixel transparency, thus allowing for lower energy consumption.
The displays also employ proprietary UV2A*3*photo-alignment technology. The*result*equips the LCDs with a high-image quality.

Sharp's Kameyama Plant No. 2, which is producing the displays, has created advanced LCD panels for televisions since 2006. However, it is now reorganized to also manufacture*small- to mid-sized displays for the smartphone and tablet markets.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/13/often-...s/#more-160303
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual, Rogo is right ...msg #32 above "The 10G Sakai factory is not being repurposed for tablets/smart phones. Sharp is repurposing the 8G Kameyama fab for those."
Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Gary - This is what I said about fuel... "Problem is Europe's economy and inflated price of oil worldwide."

I wanted to keep it short, did not have enough pages to enumerate the other problems we are having.

I have been retired now for around 6 or 7 yrs and my wife for about 10-11 yrs. We are to the point that we're banking more on a monthly basis than we spend. We are not making thrifty efforts, still eating out 2-3 times a week, drink in 2-3 glasses of wine, etc.

Every time I go to one of the 3 Costco stores close to us, I see lines of people with overloaded baskets. I see people hauling out flat panels. My friend who is a TV/Audio installer tells me he can't cope with the people wanting to install their flat panels on the walls, etc.

Just yesterday, my neighbor's cleaning lady arrived driving a fairly new Lexus SUV.
My grandson will be getting a new truck for his 16th birthday and it goes on and on.

As far as our investments, we were making zilch! I finally moved my account from my bank to USAA and wish now I had made that move a few years ago!

We went to the ballpark to watch the Texas Rangers on Sunday and there were around 45 thousand people, spending on $26 dollar hot dogs (sold 191 during the Saturday game)
drinking grossly overpriced beer paired with nachos, etc. Someone must be doing alright around here! Oh, the Cadillac dealer down the street tore-up the old showroom and is in the process of getting a new one. The BMW dealer cannot get enough of the new 3 series sedans...and it goes on and on.

I am with you, we could do better, but from what I can see, North Texas is doing much better than the way it was around 4-5 yrs ago! Just about 5 yrs ago my favorite furniture store, Shop in Denmark went under. The floor manager, a friend from Norway purchased it and he has now more people working there than the old store ever had.

As for you comment..."assuming you believe that governments actually do beneficial things rather than being simply parasitic". Well, I spent a total of 50 yrs working for the Federal Government (23-USAF and 27-USPS), my wife spent 20 yrs (USPS). That should tell you how I feel. Not the place to get rich, that's for sure, but benefits are OK.

I feel the same way you do, Gary. I am not going to spend on a new OLED or any other
type of expensive toy. Our priorities have shifted and now we'd rather spend the money on a nice Hawaiian vacation (that's what the boss says, not me). We'll see when the new wave of TVs comes out! ;-)

hugh, you have to look at what texas' economy is primarily based on -oil and tech. you got 2 of the best sectors dominating your state's economy.

here in silicon valley things have really picked up in the last 12 months due to tech growth. the unemployment rate is finally under 10% here, but the interesting thing is that the money seems to be getting concentrated into fewer and fewer hands. unless someone in your family works for a firm that provides full benefits, like u.s govt employees, people are still struggling here. my families health care costs are 30k a year with health ins. i have a relatively nice house that costs me 50k a year in mortgage and taxes. i had to borrow 75k from my line of equity since 2008 to keep the damn thing which i have to do with 2 teenagers. don't want to uproot them.

so while our weather is great, i'd rather have texas' economy. hell statewide unemployment in ca. is about 10% and in the central valley somewhere between 15-18%. so some are feeling the benefits of the recovery, but most of us are just seeing very slight improvements.

thanks for your service to our country and don't let them mess with vet benefits.

neflixis our nemesis