Sony Crystal LED = Quantum Dot? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this on beyond3d.com, and I'll post it here to hear your opinion about it.

Sony Crystal Led = Quantum Dot Led? Very Likely!

I've been closely following the Sony Crystal LED since it was announced. And I found few articles in the internet that if you try to connect the dots would strongly suggest that Sony has been readying to release a QUANTUM DOT DISPLAY.

First, a statement from Stringer November last year.

Quote:
According to the Sony chief executive, who spoke yesterday with The Wall Street Journal, his company has a "tremendous amount of research and development going into a different kind of TV set." Stringer declined to provide details on what his company's television might offer.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57...ind-of-tv-set/

Sony Crystal LED is semiconductor based just like quantum dot. All the qualities of quantum dot display is present in the Sony Crystal LED display except perhaps the supposed 10x brightness of quantum dots.

Nanoco, a british company which makes quantum dot, has been supplying a major electronic company with their cadmium-free quantum dots since April last year. Below is an article stating Nanoco's delivery of red cadmium-free quantum dots to a major Japanese corporation. April 2011

Quote:
01/04/2011 "Nanoco Group plc (AIM: NANO), a world leader in the development and manufacture of cadmium-free quantum dots, announces that it has successfully produced the 1kg batch of red cadmium-free quantum dots (CFQD™) specified by a major Japanese corporation, which triggers a US$2 million payment to Nanoco by the corporation."

http://www.nanocotechnologies.com/co..._Dots/327.aspx

Nanoco successfully delivered green quantum dots to a major Japanese corporation.

Quote:
31/01/2012 Nanoco Group plc(AIM: NANO), a world leader in the development and manufacture of cadmium-free quantum dots and other nanomaterials, announces that it has achieved the performance milestone for green quantum dots being developed in its supply and licence agreement with a major Japanese corporation, triggering a US$1 million payment.

http://www.nanocotechnologies.com/co..._Dots/342.aspx

January 2012: CES. Sony showed that they are working on a semiconductor based display and their calling it Crystal LED. They are the only company that has shown so far anything that resembles a quantum dot display.

February 2012: Nanoco signed a commercial joint development agreement with a major electronics company in Asia.

Quote:
Nanoco Group plc (AIM: NANO), a world leader in the development and manufacture of cadmium-free quantum dots and other nanomaterials, announces that it has signed a commercial joint development agreement (JDA) with a major electronics company in Asia in connection with the use of the Company's cadmium-free quantum dots (CFQD™) in the electronics company's display products.

http://www.nanocotechnologies.com/co...mpany/344.aspx

Regarding Release Date: End of 2012

(January) Sony: Crystal Led will be available later this year.

(December 2011) Nanoco: Quantum Led TVs available by the end of 2012.

Quote:
Sony execs told the Wall Street Journal that the Crystal LED Display technology is more stable than OLED, so there should be fewer manufacturing errors, which presumably could lower the price for the sets. While there’s no public timeline for when commercial sets using the new technology would be available, a Sony exec told the Journal that units will be available later this year.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theat...oled-sets/5578

Quote:
The British company Nanoco has announced it is working with several unnamed electronics companies, with the intention of bringing the first quantum dot televisions to market by the end of 2012.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-soon-as-2012/

But it could slip to 2013.

There is one rumor that Sony is shooting for an early 2013 release date.
Unfortunately I don't have a link for this.

(March) Nanoco CEO stated Quantum LED TVs will be available 2013.

Quote:
The chief executive of Nanoco Group today said he expects the first products containing its quantum dot technology to hit the market next year and he is confident the business will turn its first profit in two years' time.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...oco-group-boss

And this quote from Sony.

Quote:
"2013 will be the year that we will really fight back with new technologies. said Negishi"

http://www.oled-display.net/sony-wil...arket-in-2013/

Regarding Quantum Dot vs OLED

Wiki: Quantum Dot has more natural colors.

First-hand Observer on CES: Sony showed real world demo materials. (It shows confidence on the natural colors.)

Quote:
Pros
Color range: Nanocrystal displays should be able to yield a greater portion of the visible spectrum than current technologies. As shown in the diagram, QD Vision calculates as much as 30% more of the visible spectrum would be available using QDs in a QD-LED vs. a CRT TV.
Low power consumption: QD Vision estimates its nanocrystal displays could use 30 to 50% less electrical power than an LCD, in large part because nanocrystal displays don't need a backlight.
Color accuracy: Nanocrystal displays would yield more purity in colors than other types of display technologies. Some display technologies, such as LCDs, can’t create a pure red, green, or blue for the display; instead, they need to add a few other colors to those three to display pure colors. Quantum dots, on the other hand, create pure red, green, and blue to create all other colors.
Brightness: 50~100 times brighter than CRT and LCD displays ~40,000*cd/m2
Added flexibility: QDs are soluble in both aqueous and non-aqueous solvents, which provides for printable and flexible displays of all sizes, including large area TVs
Improved lifetime: QDs are inorganic, which can give the potential for improved lifetimes when compared to alternative OLED technologies. However, since many parts of QD-LED are made of organic materials, further development is required to improve the functional lifetime.
Other advantages include better saturated green, manufacture ability on polymers, thin display, same material used to generate difference colors, and higher resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I thought the Sony was the best display at the show, ahead of the OLED displays, and the 8K display, for a few reasons:

- Off-axis it was perfect. The LG OLED whites had a green tint off axis, and I didn't check well enough on the Samsung to be certain.
- Sony used much better, real world demo material. Samsung had a lot of CGI stuff that doesn't give you any indication how it might handle a skin tone, or a normal movie. LG had half of their sets running a horrid 3D demo loop (everything comes WAY out of the screen, giving me a headache instantly) and so it was harder to get a good feel for it. Seeing real material was very good.
- Motion was just so good. Nothing against the OLED displays, as they looked great, but just didn't have the same "wow" factor as the OLED.
- The Sharp 8K had incredible resolution, but otherwise the panel was just a bit ordinary in terms of off-axis, blacks, motion, and contrast ratio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

LOL.. 127 views and no reply..

please read everything, i really find it plausible.. don't you too..?

i included all the links so you can check them out yourself..
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
also found this: dated yesterday

http://www.electroiq.com/articles/ss...-products.html

plausible?

wait for Rogo to comment

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 04-14-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

also found this: dated yesterday

http://www.electroiq.com/articles/ss...-products.html

oh that's a summary of kaz hirai strategic plan announced april 12.. there's actually slides available..

here http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/fina...strategy/2012/
Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Ok, so the article Mark linked and the slides you point us toward Ergem are interesting.

First of all, Sony is clearly not announcing anything with regard to OLED or CLED. In fact, the section of TVs is about as inspiring as a North Korean army general's morning discussion of defending the DMZ I imagine. "We will restore profitability through cost cutting!"

Look, they haven't made money on TVs in 8 years. The ante to get into OLED production is billions of dollars -- clearly they aren't spending that. The price to commercialize CLED is some number that persona Sony has no idea about -- and clearly they didn't announce that either.

To me, vague statements about "going forward" we are going to do those things when clearly the entire business is currently aligned around improving corporate cash flows are hard to take entirely seriously. They don't talk about investing for growth they talk about "optimizing resources". They don't talk about building new production in flat panels, they are excited they have sold off their LCD joint venture.

I would absolutely love to see Sony commit to producing their own OLED displays and CLED displays. That said, I believe this is where Sony sat nearly 15 years ago when they looked at PDP and LCD and more or less decided to buy them on the market and produce neither. Of course, that strategy failed to produce profits and they see that now.

But do they actually see that the only way to make money in TVs is to own the module/display production of one of these techs? Are they already too late to make a splash in OLED given how far along Samsung and LG are? Do they even have the capital to do either of these, let alone both?

TV is not considered a core business by Sony it appears, but gets elevated in their strategic plan primarily because it is, in fact, destroying their income statement. Are to we to believe vague promises to commercialize CLED/OLED someday in the future or are we to read this as the writing on the wall that Sony will ultimately leave the TV business?

That idea was unthinkable even 5 years ago, but they keep slowly signaling it. First, they outsource huge chunks of production. Then, they sell off their interest in S-LCD. Now, they specifically exclude TV from the digital imaging + game + mobile troika.

Let's hope the reason the CLED/OLED commercialization isn't mentioned is because they are starting on the cheap and making sure their stock isn't further hammered by threats of investment here. But realistically, it seems at least as likely they will never commercialize either, which is why they didn't really promise to.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sony ALREADY makes a 25inch OLED, and has been making them.

Not sure where you come off saying they need billions more in development when they have a working OLED TV.

And they have spent billions in the joint venture they spun off into Japan Display Inc, which BTW is getting billions from the government.

Sony will either buy OLED panels in 2013 from Japan Display, or one of the many Chinese firms jumping into them.

ZERO chance that Sony with it's production equipment biz will get out of the TV biz anytime soon.

At worst, they will stop playing in the cutthroat low end TV biz and sell where the real money is High end and Ultra high end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Ok, so the article Mark linked and the slides you point us toward Ergem are interesting.

First of all, Sony is clearly not announcing anything with regard to OLED or CLED. In fact, the section of TVs is about as inspiring as a North Korean army general's morning discussion of defending the DMZ I imagine. "We will restore profitability through cost cutting!"

Look, they haven't made money on TVs in 8 years. The ante to get into OLED production is billions of dollars -- clearly they aren't spending that. The price to commercialize CLED is some number that persona Sony has no idea about -- and clearly they didn't announce that either.

To me, vague statements about "going forward" we are going to do those things when clearly the entire business is currently aligned around improving corporate cash flows are hard to take entirely seriously. They don't talk about investing for growth they talk about "optimizing resources". They don't talk about building new production in flat panels, they are excited they have sold off their LCD joint venture.

I would absolutely love to see Sony commit to producing their own OLED displays and CLED displays. That said, I believe this is where Sony sat nearly 15 years ago when they looked at PDP and LCD and more or less decided to buy them on the market and produce neither. Of course, that strategy failed to produce profits and they see that now.

But do they actually see that the only way to make money in TVs is to own the module/display production of one of these techs? Are they already too late to make a splash in OLED given how far along Samsung and LG are? Do they even have the capital to do either of these, let alone both?

TV is not considered a core business by Sony it appears, but gets elevated in their strategic plan primarily because it is, in fact, destroying their income statement. Are to we to believe vague promises to commercialize CLED/OLED someday in the future or are we to read this as the writing on the wall that Sony will ultimately leave the TV business?

That idea was unthinkable even 5 years ago, but they keep slowly signaling it. First, they outsource huge chunks of production. Then, they sell off their interest in S-LCD. Now, they specifically exclude TV from the digital imaging + game + mobile troika.

Let's hope the reason the CLED/OLED commercialization isn't mentioned is because they are starting on the cheap and making sure their stock isn't further hammered by threats of investment here. But realistically, it seems at least as likely they will never commercialize either, which is why they didn't really promise to.

buytme
Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Sony ALREADY makes a 25inch OLED, and has been making them.

Not sure where you come off saying they need billions more in development when they have a working OLED TV.

And they have spent billions in the joint venture they spun off into Japan Display Inc, which BTW is getting billions from the government.

Sony will either buy OLED panels in 2013 from Japan Display, or one of the many Chinese firms jumping into them.

ZERO chance that Sony with it's production equipment biz will get out of the TV biz anytime soon.

At worst, they will stop playing in the cutthroat low end TV biz and sell where the real money is High end and Ultra high end.

what I got from Sony's latest news releases is they finally realize that reselling OEM panels is not a path to success

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

markrubin, agreed on that.

As for the 25 inch they "already make" it's made on like a 3.5G line that cannot in any way be scaled up for television production. It makes at most a few hundred units per month.

If Sony sources OLED panels from Korea, they will be as bad off as they are now. No Japanese joint venture nor Chinese firm will be producing OLED panels for resale in 2013 by the way.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How about the conspiracy theory i laid down on my first post? I thought it's very eerie that these two companies (Sony and Nanoco) are not disclosing things in details, and they seem to jive with thier statements.

Sony: A tremendous amount of R&D is being spent on a different kind of TV set. We will not disclose what it is yet.

Nanoco: We're working with a major Japanese company, delivered red and green quantum dots, and signed a joint development for the commercialization of Quantum dots display.

Sony: Crystal LED are semiconductor LEDs (eeriely similar to a quantum dot display)

Nanoco: First Quantum dot TVs to be released either 2012 or 2013.

Sony: Crystal LED available 2012 or 2013.

Quote:

Sony has gone on record stating that they will now concentrate on premium products. And if you check the link again including the slides, Sony specifically stated they are working for the development and COMMERCIALIZATION of OLED and CLED.

In the link, Sony stated that for OLED they will be working with a partner (the news regarding Sony and Taiwanese AUO joint development rings a bells). It makes sense because Sony has very little know how on panel production. AUO can leverage their production facility and Sony their OLED patent.

On the other hand CLED/Quantum LED is semiconductor. Sony knows how to make semiconductors.

Edit: I thought it's in the provided link, it's actually in a different link.

Quote:

We also are making strides in the development and commercialization of next generation display technology including OLED where we also are considering alliances and the Sony's unique product crystal LED display.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4941...urce=thestreet

Quote:

The venture between Sony, Toshiba, and Hitatchi or the Japan Display is only for small and medium sized display for smartphones and tablets. If you read theofficial press releases, they clearly and specifically stated that.

Quote:

I agree with this. Some people are quick to dismiss Sony with their capacity. Sony has some of the best engineers in the world. What Sony needs is a good and visionary CEO.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Why all this Sony humping (excuse me while I puke)? I long for the glory days of Pioneer, which were much more recent technically speaking than Sony's meandering. Both have fallen far unfortunately.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

LOL..

please puke.. and loads please..

I'm a Sony fan. And I find nothing wrong with that. I'm also a New York Knicks fan, you can't blame if I root for both of them.

And I'd love to see quantum dot display soon, whether it's coming from Sony or not.

I'm not saying to that say Sony is working on a quantum dot display is not a speculation at this point. But those statements above I linked above are sure interesting. I hope to see quantum dot display pitied against oled displays.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ergem, your theory is fun and interesting.

But this never happened:

"(January) Sony: Crystal Led will be available later this year."

I'm not saying that wrecks your thesis, but it absolutely never happened.

Sony has at no point committed to crystal LED being available at any date in any way.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ergem, your theory is fun and interesting.

oh thanks, i know it's all about it for now, fun and interesting.. but i'll keep digging..

Quote:

But this never happened:

"(January) Sony: Crystal Led will be available later this year."

I'm not saying that wrecks your thesis, but it absolutely never happened.

Sony has at no point committed to crystal LED being available at any date in any way.

I too don't put much faith on jounalism let alone on the internet and I understand that it can only be regarded as rumor at this point because the actual link points to wall street journal as the source of info.

Never happened? Sure you could say that.

Absolutely never happened? This makes it a positive claim where the burden of proof shifts. What makes it absolute? lol

Likely never happened? Very.

Absolutely did happen? Impossible. Because using the word absolute requires a degree of personal knowledge.

Did happen? Possible.

Likely happened? Of course.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Interesting stuff! Hopefully Sony will have some new displays to show and some announcements tomorrow at the NAB 2012 Expo!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, it never happened.

Sony never said the CLED would be produced, let alone this year.

I can say that with certainty.

Absolute certainty.

If you'd like to diminish the certainty, find the quote where a Sony executive announces plans to produce it.

The burden of proof is not on me to prove that some thing that never happened actually never happened.

This is exactly what's wrong with AVS to be honest.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
It's just a hard-on for what could be.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergem View Post

In the link, Sony stated that for OLED they will be working with a partner (the news regarding Sony and Taiwanese AUO joint development rings a bells). It makes sense because Sony has very little know how on panel production. AUO can leverage their production facility and Sony their OLED patent.

On the other hand CLED/Quantum LED is semiconductor. Sony knows how to make semiconductors.

Hi Ergem

Interesting post. But FYI Nanoco is a GBP18m asset company with GBP2.8m sales. They certainly cannot drive QD.

And I'm not sure on Sony's commitment on TVs. Like u quoted and which we have discussed extensively in this forum, Sony is a pioneer in OLED but have little commercial success. That's where AUO comes in for OLED.

So the problem is... who will make QD for Sony?

And maybe you can elaborate on Sony knowing how to make semiconductors... u mean in the lab? They certainly don't have much success commercially... not even their PS3 engine.

But certainly looks like you've done some homework... interesting stuff but I agree with Rogo that it probably lack the last mile
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, it never happened.

Sony never said the CLED would be produced, let alone this year.

I can say that with certainty.

Absolute certainty.

If you'd like to diminish the certainty, find the quote where a Sony executive announces plans to produce it.

The burden of proof is not on me to prove that some thing that never happened actually never happened.

You mean this didn't happen? It's your opinion I take it.
Quote:

a Sony exec told the Journal that units will be available later this year.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theat...oled-sets/5578

Please. I'm not sayin that quote is conclusive. It could be a fabricated story for all we know. But when you said that it didn't happen with absolute certainty, that is a positive claim that you must prove.

The fact is you have no first hand knowledge of what Sony has in store. Therefore you cannot make a claim regarding them with absolute certainty. But I made it clear that all I'm spewing are all speculation.

The bottomline: I'm only stating an opinion, and you are negating it by stating your own opinion. But noone knows the absolute fact.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It's just a hard-on for what could be.

LOL you never know
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

a Sony exec told the Journal that units will be available later this year.

AFAIK this is sony marketing and has nothing to do with actual cled development stage.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

interesting

OP came here asking for opinions/ comments:which is in the spirit of AVS

this is an open forum: nothing wrong with this kind of interaction in my opinion: and nothing wrong with AVS

Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Thank you for your research Ergem. Very interesting indeed. I can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

interesting

OP came here asking for opinions/ comments:which is in the spirit of AVS

this is an open forum: nothing wrong with this kind of interaction in my opinion: and nothing wrong with AVS

Mark, good sir... OP came here asking for opinions comments, which is the spirit of AVS.

I responded in the spirit of AVS.

Then we had to digress where OP asks me to "prove a negative". As you know, this is impossible.

There is no source link where Sony claims they are even committed to building one of these, let alone this year.

"...a Sony exec told the Journal that units will be available later this year."

No, they didn't. They absolutely, positively didn't.

Why exactly do I have to prove that this didn't happen?

That is, in fact, what's wrong with AVS.

He wants it to be true; I have to prove it didn't happen?

The reason I joined this thread is because you asked me. I commented -- without judgment -- on the OP's theory. I think (as I said in a post here) the theory is interesting. But whether or not the theory is interesting, Sony has not committed to ever building one of these TVs. Why exactly is the burden on me to prove this?

I mean by that standard, I can just say, "A Sharp executive told the WSJ that they will be leaving the TV business if it doesn't turn profitable within 12 months". I mean, I said it... Prove I'm wrong.

That's the original poster's position on his fictitious statement that Sony has committed anything to this technology beyond some research.

Incidentally, I recognize that reading ZDNet attempting to paraphrase WSJ is hazardous work. Here is the actual text from WSJ:

"Mr. Stringer didn't offer a timetable for when the product might be commercialized, but company officials said Sony is working to get Crystal LEDs into the market in the next few years."

"For its part, Sony said it will continue to pursue development of both technologies. A person familiar with Sony management's thinking said there is still internal debate at the company about which technology holds more promise. This person added that Sony is considering a variety of options, including partnering with other companies on OLED screens for smaller television sets and using Crystal LEDs for its larger-size screens."

That's a commitment to maybe do something at some point in some ambiguous future. I have proved Sony never said this product is coming out and certainly never said it is coming out in 2012. In fact, I will assure people it is not coming out in 2012. The latter assurance is based on everything I know about the display industry. The proof of Sony's non-promise to commercialize this is, the lack of any evidence anywhere that resembles a source link that Sony has promised to commercialize this."

Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

...In fact, I will assure people it is not coming out in 2012. The latter assurance is based on everything I know about the display industry. The proof of Sony's non-promise to commercialize this is, the lack of any evidence anywhere that resembles a source link that Sony has promised to commercialize this."

Given that the following article from April 1, 2012 preceded the somewhat later article about Sony's roadmap, it is always possible that Sony may be rethinking their strategy. But if we are to believe the author of this article, who cites a representative from Sony, the company did express an intention to market CLED within a specified timeframe.

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/artic...igh-apple.html

"...The 55-inch OLED TVs from LG and Samsung and the 55-inch CLED from Sony should be on the market by the end of this year, according to their representatives.

Some displays, like Sony's, will use the remarkable Corning Gorilla Glass that is thin yet almost indestructible. Although their initial price points could be more expensive than similar high-end LED/ LCD sets, they should be worth every penny."...

Of course, nothing is written in stone.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I responded in the spirit of AVS.

Then we had to digress where OP asks me to "prove a negative". As you know, this is impossible.

There is no source link where Sony claims they are even committed to building one of these, let alone this year.

"...a Sony exec told the Journal that units will be available later this year."

No, they didn't. They absolutely, positively didn't.

Why exactly do I have to prove that this didn't happen?

He wants it to be true; I have to prove it didn't happen?

The reason I joined this thread is because you asked me. I commented -- without judgment -- on the OP's theory. I think (as I said in a post here) the theory is interesting. But whether or not the theory is interesting, Sony has not committed to ever building one of these TVs. Why exactly is the burden on me to prove this?

Your statements could easily qualify as an opinion on your part. I'll take it as that. But when you used the word absolutely, I thought you are already making a statement that in your mind is beyond disproof. My bad.

From now I'll take your words as an opinion whether or not you use the word absolute.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am exiting this thread. I will no longer comment on the wild fantasies of people nor will I defend basic facts as opinion. Further, I will no longer contribute to this discussion.

Sony has made no decisions regarding the commercialization of this technology. It is not even clear they have any means to build it if they choose to. That is the current state of affairs; you can choose to engage in any speculation or wishful thinking you desire to engage in -- you will just not be doing it with me.

If people insist on quoting my comments any further, I will delete all the original posts I made to break any continuity to them.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 AM

Crystal LED = QD-LED imho.

The bull rush towards 4k by Sony makes a QD-LED display more attractive. A bit easier to manufacture than OLED at such awe inspiring resolutions.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thats what wrong with humanity and our interactions in general, not just AVS unless the sky has fallen.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

LOL at some people who don't like speculations.. it's fun and interesting I thought.. we just have to keep it level-headed..

i'm also participating in PS4 speculation forums.. and find it always interesting..

opinions.. opinions.. opinions.. that's what make good forums..

if a proposition is already set on stone, it should no longer be open for discussion..

so let's wait until 2013..
Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergem; View Post

so let's wait until 2013..

let's wait forever...

Tags