Intel says 4k monitors in 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 205
This deals with computer monitors, but computer monitors typically lead TVs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Int...ing,15329.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.

Tell that to the lads at Apple with their new 3MPixel Ipad. I'm sure they can do with a laugh...
post #4 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you want to work with 4K video or any stills photography 4K monitors are very welcome.
The PPI on a 4K monitor will still be less than some of todays phones and tablets.

If you think it is silly; Don't buy one!

Quote:

post #5 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
At least for now, actually think that higher resolution makes MORE sense in a computer display than for a "HDTV."
Although don't recall specs, youngest daughter is a photography student / budding pro, and has a Higher Than "HD" monitor, which also promotes a "wider color gamut" (or some such...) - was not cheap, but she loves it.

Could also see application for CAD work - where at least two monitors have been employed for some time.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Not for you maybe, but I needed a 4k a YEAR AGO! I have a 46" 3DTV at the back edge of my desk as a monitor replacement. It replaced my 2560x1600 30" Dell. The pixel pitch on my Dell was only 5% finer than my previous 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Even if im not using the whole screen, i love having a nice background picture in front of me.

With 4K, large 3dTV's could also replace multi-monitor setups and the 21:9 TVs will be able to replace multi-monitor gaming setups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

Text looks terrible on computer monitors today, as they are around 100-130 PPI. Text needs a minimum of around 200 PPI to start looking good, and ideally you would be approaching 300 PPI. (the new iPad screen is great, but not quite enough)
post #8 of 17 Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

There is if I can finally get the 40" monitor I've wanted and NO, I don't want a TV pretending to be a monitor.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Not everybody uses their display to only watch television shows.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanclayton View Post

Not everybody uses their display to only watch television shows.

Very true, imagine gaming with "retina" quality. The need for AA and AF basically is null, no need to "soften" pixelation when you cant eve see it biggrin.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Not for you maybe, but I needed a 4k a YEAR AGO! I have a 46" 3DTV at the back edge of my desk as a monitor replacement. It replaced my 2560x1600 30" Dell. The pixel pitch on my Dell was only 5% finer than my previous 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Even if im not using the whole screen, i love having a nice background picture in front of me.

With 4K, large 3dTV's could also replace multi-monitor setups and the 21:9 TVs will be able to replace multi-monitor gaming setups.

Why Aren't Widescreen TVs Selling Better?
Quote:
Washington, D.C. (August 28, 2012) -- When Vizio launched its 58-inch CinemaWide HDTV, there was talk that the set with the 21:9 aspect ratio could become an instant hit. However, nearly three months later, there's evidence that consumers may prefer a more traditional looking TV.

Verge.com reports that Philips, which launched a widescreen set in 2009, has stopped all production and development of the model and also dropped plans to introduce a new version at an industry conference next week in Berlin.

"The demand for this screen size is not any more on par with what we regard as basic requirement for mass production." Philips says, according to Verge.
Quote:
Consumers may have concluded that while a widescreen set is best for displaying movies, the 21:9 aspect ratio may not work as well for sports and other shows.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/wide082812.htm
post #12 of 17 Old 09-20-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
To me the obvious application for 4K or 8K monitors would be medical imaging.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
4K monitors have been used in, military, medical and other scientific fields for many many years already.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

4K monitors have been used in, military, medical and other scientific fields for many many years already.

Yes, but they cost a fortune. The arrival of mass-market 4k will hopefully change that.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If a technology is developed for making curved displays then computer displays going beyond the 4K: 8K, 12K and more can be easily imagined. They would be definitely useful and there is a need for them, we just live in a mindset of flat displays with limited field of view. But many people are prosthesizing for curved displays by using more than one display on their desktops.

irkuck
post #16 of 17 Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

If a technology is developed for making curved displays then computer displays going beyond the 4K: 8K, 12K and more can be easily imagined. They would be definitely useful and there is a need for them, we just live in a mindset of flat displays with limited field of view. But many people are prosthesizing for curved displays by using more than one display on their desktops.

They could do that with Flexible OLED in the future.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 531
The key enabling technology for curved displays is that Corning now has a flexible glass that is sold on rolls. It makes a flexible display possible even if printable OLED does not become viable -- which so far it has not come remotely close to being.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page