Intel says 4k monitors in 2013 - AVS Forum
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Intel says 4k monitors in 2013
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 01:03 PM 04-19-2012
This deals with computer monitors, but computer monitors typically lead TVs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Int...ing,15329.html

Jim McC's Avatar Jim McC 02:44 PM 04-19-2012
Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.
newirishman's Avatar newirishman 02:49 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.

Tell that to the lads at Apple with their new 3MPixel Ipad. I'm sure they can do with a laugh...
coolscan's Avatar coolscan 02:50 PM 04-19-2012
If you want to work with 4K video or any stills photography 4K monitors are very welcome.
The PPI on a 4K monitor will still be less than some of todays phones and tablets.

If you think it is silly; Don't buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.


Dierkdr's Avatar Dierkdr 03:19 PM 04-19-2012
At least for now, actually think that higher resolution makes MORE sense in a computer display than for a "HDTV."
Although don't recall specs, youngest daughter is a photography student / budding pro, and has a Higher Than "HD" monitor, which also promotes a "wider color gamut" (or some such...) - was not cheap, but she loves it.

Could also see application for CAD work - where at least two monitors have been employed for some time.
tory40's Avatar tory40 04:22 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.

Not for you maybe, but I needed a 4k a YEAR AGO! I have a 46" 3DTV at the back edge of my desk as a monitor replacement. It replaced my 2560x1600 30" Dell. The pixel pitch on my Dell was only 5% finer than my previous 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Even if im not using the whole screen, i love having a nice background picture in front of me.

With 4K, large 3dTV's could also replace multi-monitor setups and the 21:9 TVs will be able to replace multi-monitor gaming setups.
Chronoptimist's Avatar Chronoptimist 04:56 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.

Text looks terrible on computer monitors today, as they are around 100-130 PPI. Text needs a minimum of around 200 PPI to start looking good, and ideally you would be approaching 300 PPI. (the new iPad screen is great, but not quite enough)
boe's Avatar boe 10:09 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.

There is if I can finally get the 40" monitor I've wanted and NO, I don't want a TV pretending to be a monitor.
seanclayton's Avatar seanclayton 12:06 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Computer monitors with that much resolution is just silly. There's no need for it.

Not everybody uses their display to only watch television shows.
Markertron's Avatar Markertron 07:52 PM 09-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanclayton View Post


Not everybody uses their display to only watch television shows.

Very true, imagine gaming with "retina" quality. The need for AA and AF basically is null, no need to "soften" pixelation when you cant eve see it biggrin.gif
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 08:43 PM 09-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post


Not for you maybe, but I needed a 4k a YEAR AGO! I have a 46" 3DTV at the back edge of my desk as a monitor replacement. It replaced my 2560x1600 30" Dell. The pixel pitch on my Dell was only 5% finer than my previous 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Even if im not using the whole screen, i love having a nice background picture in front of me.


With 4K, large 3dTV's could also replace multi-monitor setups and the 21:9 TVs will be able to replace multi-monitor gaming setups.

Why Aren't Widescreen TVs Selling Better?
Quote:
Washington, D.C. (August 28, 2012) -- When Vizio launched its 58-inch CinemaWide HDTV, there was talk that the set with the 21:9 aspect ratio could become an instant hit. However, nearly three months later, there's evidence that consumers may prefer a more traditional looking TV.

Verge.com reports that Philips, which launched a widescreen set in 2009, has stopped all production and development of the model and also dropped plans to introduce a new version at an industry conference next week in Berlin.

"The demand for this screen size is not any more on par with what we regard as basic requirement for mass production." Philips says, according to Verge.
Quote:
Consumers may have concluded that while a widescreen set is best for displaying movies, the 21:9 aspect ratio may not work as well for sports and other shows.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/wide082812.htm
walford's Avatar walford 04:19 PM 09-20-2012
To me the obvious application for 4K or 8K monitors would be medical imaging.
coolscan's Avatar coolscan 04:22 PM 09-20-2012
4K monitors have been used in, military, medical and other scientific fields for many many years already.
rogo's Avatar rogo 02:23 AM 09-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

4K monitors have been used in, military, medical and other scientific fields for many many years already.

Yes, but they cost a fortune. The arrival of mass-market 4k will hopefully change that.
irkuck's Avatar irkuck 06:42 AM 09-24-2012
If a technology is developed for making curved displays then computer displays going beyond the 4K: 8K, 12K and more can be easily imagined. They would be definitely useful and there is a need for them, we just live in a mindset of flat displays with limited field of view. But many people are prosthesizing for curved displays by using more than one display on their desktops.
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 12:03 PM 09-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

If a technology is developed for making curved displays then computer displays going beyond the 4K: 8K, 12K and more can be easily imagined. They would be definitely useful and there is a need for them, we just live in a mindset of flat displays with limited field of view. But many people are prosthesizing for curved displays by using more than one display on their desktops.

They could do that with Flexible OLED in the future.
rogo's Avatar rogo 04:00 PM 09-25-2012
The key enabling technology for curved displays is that Corning now has a flexible glass that is sold on rolls. It makes a flexible display possible even if printable OLED does not become viable -- which so far it has not come remotely close to being.
Up
Mobile  Desktop