Looking for advice on a new Flat Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon, long time lurker here looking for advice. I am looking for advice on for a new flat screen. With that being said, I am limited to either Samsung/LG or Sony. The reason being is that I am converting my American Express reward point to a DELL gift certificate(good conversion rate). With that being said, any advice or input would be appreciated? Plasma? LED?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Your question seems a bit vague - way too many variables to consider.

Try limiting the options a bit by adding some data / preferences:

Do you have a flat panel now? What type? What size?
Likes / dislikes about it?

Viewing distance?
Usage? - SD TV; SD DVD; Blu-ray; Gaming; HD TV.....
Viewing environment? (Day / Night; "Light Controlled?"

Looking for 3D? Or seeking to avoid it?

IF you simply want "A Recommendation": Run to CostCo and pick up a 60" LG PA6550.
Looks like a wonderful buy at around $1000 - 1100.

OH: Sorry - forgot about the Dell bit: hopefully Dell will have the PA6500 in stock!
post #3 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Your question seems a bit vague - way too many variables to consider.

Try limiting the options a bit by adding some data / preferences:

Do you have a flat panel now? What type? What size?
Likes / dislikes about it?

Viewing distance?
Usage? - SD TV; SD DVD; Blu-ray; Gaming; HD TV.....
Viewing environment? (Day / Night; "Light Controlled?"

Looking for 3D? Or seeking to avoid it?

IF you simply want "A Recommendation": Run to CostCo and pick up a 60" LG PA6550.
Looks like a wonderful buy at around $1000 - 1100.

OH: Sorry - forgot about the Dell bit: hopefully Dell will have the PA6500 in stock!

First,
Thank for the reply!
The TV, the tv is mostly used for HDTV and the occasional movie. Not looking for 3D. The room is in a den which has LED high hats. I have a HDTV, rear projection that is HUGE and I am looking to downsize. Thanks!
post #4 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 188
First off, most people don't want to go smaller when they are using the same room. Even though your rear projection is huge keep in mind the modern flat panel has a much smaller footprint. You're rear projection is most likely at least 24" deep and weighs well over 100lbs. A modern 60 LED lit LCD will be around 1" deep and weigh in the 65lb range. You could hang it on a wall and have almost no footprint. Plasma or LCD? To each his own but FWIW I prefer plasma.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post

....the tv is mostly used for HDTV and the occasional movie. Not looking for 3D. The room is in a den which has LED high hats. I have a HDTV, rear projection that is HUGE and I am looking to downsize. Thanks!

Rephrasing the reply from Andy: are you seeking to downsize the Viewable Picture Area, the Overall Footprint Size of the TV -- OR BOTH??

Alas, the Non-3D panels tend to be limited to the lower model range for most manufacturers. One resulting distinction that might impact your situation would be the lack of an Effective Anti-reflection filter.

If you can control your overhead lighting this may be less of an issue: the entry model Samsung & LG plasmas tend to be highly reflective. Works fine in a darkened room, not so much with a lot of bright lighting.

Still, the LG PA6500 seems like a nice bargain set - and someone has posted a remarkably low price on a "PA5500" (try the "Deals" thread)!
post #6 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Good afternoon, long time lurker here looking for advice. I am looking for advice on for a new flat screen. With that being said, I am limited to either Samsung/LG or Sony. The reason being is that I am converting my American Express reward point to a DELL gift certificate(good conversion rate). With that being said, any advice or input would be appreciated? Plasma? LED?
Thank you!

you have to decide for youself whether plasma or lcd/led.

sony doesn't make plasmas

best sony is hx929 series.

best sammy is 8000 series.

lg doesn't make a set that compares with either.

neflixis our nemesis
post #7 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I'm looking to downsize the footprint. The wife and I are getting a tv stand and plan on putting the tv on that.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
You are very vague in your answers but i would say the Samsung e6500 or e7000 (plasmas by the way) would be my choices. Maybe you could tell us how far away you sit and what size your rear projection is? And if you watch blu rays or play games or only own a regular DVD player etc...
post #9 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

You are very vague in your answers but i would say the Samsung e6500 or e7000 (plasmas by the way) would be my choices. Maybe you could tell us how far away you sit and what size your rear projection is? And if you watch blu rays or play games or only own a regular DVD player etc...

Sorry for the vagueness, my current rear projection is a 48" Mitsubishi. We sit about 15 or so a way. The wife watch regular DVD, might upgrade to a Bluray player. Not that important. Once again, thanks!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry for the vagueness, my current rear projection is a 48" Mitsubishi. We sit about 15 or so a way. The wife watch regular DVD, might upgrade to a Bluray player. Not that important. Once again, thanks!

At 15 feet, would look for the largest decent panel our budget allows: that distance will hide all but the most Obvious PQ flaws - either due to Source or the panel itself.

Note that the farther distance WILL work in your favor with SD DVDs.

We normally sit 9ft from a 60" plasma (ST30), and while Blu-rays and HDDVDs (yes, own dozen or so titles...), look GREAT at that distance - and SOME "HD TV" programs & Upconverted SD DVDs look pretty darn good - other Supposedly HD TV programs and many SD DVDs look MUCH Better from a sitting distance of around 12 feet. (Or, even better, at about 10 feet away from our older 50" 720 Panel!)

Beyond that, you might want to set your Approximate Budget (or a Hard one, for that matter!) & begin filtering the options.

FWIW, we "under bought" with the 50" panel - but "invested" the savings in a blu-ray player & began purchasing blu-ray titles (instead of SD DVDs). The PQ advantages were Noticeable, but not dramatic, on the 50" panel, but are Definitely Worthwhile with the the 60"!

Good Luck with your decision.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM

I would suggest you try to go to a best buy or hh greg and look at the different sets you mentioned. I have the E8000 from Samsung and I had the
D8000 from Samsung, both are excellent sets. I owned a LG Lx6500 (lcd) and for
2D viewing it was incredible - if you can find one they are a 2010 model. You most likely can get a better deal from dell on a last years model. I would suggest plasma, it just looks better to me, although some people like lcd. One thing to think about is lighting - plasma is much better in a darker room and lcd better in a well lit room. I know the Samsung 7000 series (D OR E SERIES) are both great sets, 7000 series just as good as the 8000.

god bless

tony

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #12 of 12 Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

So I will stick to what I previously stated and say go to at least the pn60e7000 or e6500 if not the 64" variant you have a large viewing distance.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page