Help with deciding between a few sets > 60" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm having a heck of a time deciding between a few different sets and thought I would see what the collective wisdom of AVS had to say. We are replacing a 4 year old 50" panasonic plasma for a larger set in our living room. Light is not very controlled in this room but the brightness of the old set never bothered me as much as the reflections from the light coming in my windows. Not real into 3d yet, but might be nice to have for future proofing.

So far, we've looked at both plasma and LED/LCD. Looked at the well iked Sharp Quad displays and the motion on them looked so unrealistic as to be laughable (smoothing?). To further complicate matters, some of the LCD/LED displays seem to reflect MORE than the comparable plasma screens. Our budget is right around $2k, uses are tv, movies, limited sports, auto racing, occasional gaming.

Basically the deals we've found on LED are the following:

-Samsung UN60D6000
-Samsung UN60D6450
-Samsung UN60D6420

All within $200 of each other and right around the budget. I'm assuming the deviation in model numbers from samsung's website is the specific model for each retailer?

Regarding plasma, here are the contenders:

-Panny 65st30
-Panny 60st50 (this one is of particular interest as I've read the anti-reflective is much better this year)
-Panny 65GT30
-Samsung PN59D8000 (read these are brighter than the Panasonics?)
All are are a bit under our budget, except the GT which is a few hundred dollars more than the others.

In any case, I'd love some guidance as to what would be a good choice for my uses. I've read about green blobs, brightness fluctuations and screen peeling until my head feels like it will explode.

-kb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

We are replacing a 4 year old 50" panasonic plasma for a larger set in our living room.... Our budget is right around $2k, uses are tv, movies, limited sports, auto racing, occasional gaming....

Given similar prices, the easiest set to recommend among the ones you have mentioned is the 60" ST50.

In fact, it would probably be worthwhile to spend MORE for the ST50 than for the others.

We recently exchanged a 60" ST30 in favor of a 60" ST50, and while the 30 was BASICALLY a Very Nice set -esp in a light-controlled environment - Excepting, of course, for the Green Blobs; Green-for-Gray Substitutions; and PINK TINT - the ST50 is appreciably Brighter, and (thus far...) does NOT display the color uniformity issues we saw on the 2011 panels. (MULTIPLE 2011 panels.... )

Take a peek at the review of the ST50 on Cnet for a more Authoritative Opinion....
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A second vote for the ST50 (the only one of those I would consider).
post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Bigger is always better.

buytme
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you all for the feedback. Do you think the ST50 would be better than the D8000? Both seem to get great reviews although I've read the D8000 is brighter for daytime use.

Are any of the LED TV's in the same league?

-kb
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post

Thanks to you all for the feedback. Do you think the ST50 would be better than the D8000? Both seem to get great reviews although I've read the D8000 is brighter for daytime use.

an 60" lcd with the pq of a st50 or gt50 will cost you much more than 2k.

neflixis our nemesis
post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Someone who LIKES LCD panels (remembering that a "LED" is simply a LCD with LED lighting) would probably find any number of sets that they feel would out-perform the ST50 or D8000.

Because I PERSONALLY happen to like the PQ characteristics of a plasma better than that of any LCD viewed to date, my ready reply is "No, none of the LED / LCD TV's are in the same league as the top plasma models - with the possible exception of the Sharp Elite." But those are Very Expensive.

From 2011 Reviews, CONSENSUS seems to be that the Samsung D8000 & D7000, along with the Pan VT30, were the best overall plasma panels - with the D7000 picked as the best "Top Tier" bargain: equivalent PQ as the other two, but at a lower price.

At least per Cnet's Review, the PQ on the ST50 competes Very Well with the top panels from 2011, and stands as a relative bargain:

Quote:

The bottom line: With flagship-level picture quality for a midlevel price, the Panasonic ST50 series sets the value standard among videophile-grade TVs.

You probably wouldn't go wrong with any of the top sets, and a "left-over" D8000 / D7000 could be an attractive purchase - at the right price. We've already "voted" with OUR dollars - but these will be YOUR $$ that are getting spent, so you are the one who will want to be happy with the decision!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on a 65GT30 today... I was seduced by the size of the 65" over the 60" and frankly the reviews of the D8000 scared me in regards to the problems and reliability... Hopefully I don't regret my decision. Thanks for all your input!

-kb
post #9 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on a 65GT30 today... I was seduced by the size of the 65" over the 60" and frankly the reviews of the D8000 scared me in regards to the problems and reliability... Hopefully I don't regret my decision. Thanks for all your input!

Congratulations - and enjoy your new set!

Just remember to give the panel some GRACE if you view less-than-bluray programming: even our 60" often does a bit TOO GOOD of a job of "showing off" inherent source flaws!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page